Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness It is time: Baldur's Gate 3 vs Starfield

Which is the greatest RPG of our times?

• Baldur's Gate 3

• Starfield

• If I knew this would be the choice in 2023, I would have cut my throat with a broken CD back in 90s

• kingcomrade

Results are only viewable after voting.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Codex has always been about conflict: Baldur's Gate vs Arcanum for those of you old enough to remember the Terra Arcanum days, Morrowind vs Gothic, Crispy vs Scruffy...

But that was the old days, back when we cared about good games. These days, the time has come to square off for the new classics:

mqdefault.jpg

OR

oVzxH3K.png

Time to decide which team you are on, Codex. Team Ursine Copulation or The Gaze of Todd Team.
Tranny's Gate 3 vs Niggerfield.
Clash of Titans.

Mortmal

Arcane
Codex has always been about conflict: Baldur's Gate vs Arcanum for those of you old enough to remember the Terra Arcanum days, Morrowind vs Gothic, Crispy vs Scruffy...

But that was the old days, back when we cared about good games. These days, the time has come to square off for the new classics:
Ah, the good old imaginary Codex, praising games for qualities only existing in their imagination. BG3 outperforms those classics in every aspect, but that doesn't diminish the value of those old games. We had to wait so many years to finally see something clearly surpass them. Regarding Starfield, it might not even win Game of the Year here against Colony Ship if they play their cards right.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
It does seem like BG3 is the better game although in the end both games are hot garbage. Really hope something else takes the GOTY title.

ind33d

Learned
SF being first-person means it will eventually get a VR mod and be superior to BG

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
BG3 outperforms those classics in every aspect
are-you-sure-john-cena.gif
Rather than meme and buttons, maybe explain in details how baldur's gate is better than baldur's gate 3. You cant do that.
https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/16c0xv6/shadowheart_cucked_me_with_halsin_i_feels_so/

Balding at gate 3 is just unpalatable.
Once again proving that the character redditors hate the most (Lae'zel) has the best character development.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Rather than meme and buttons, maybe explain in details how baldur's gate is better than baldur's gate 3. You cant do that.
Let's see:
A much better and cohesive story. Better characters. Better voice acting (it was the age of classic voice acting, where the actors were carefully selected for maximum effect), AD&D 2E game (The KING of D&D editions), better soundtrack, a sense of old-school adventuring and dungeon crawling.
Am I missing something?

Mortmal

Arcane
https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/16c0xv6/shadowheart_cucked_me_with_halsin_i_feels_so/

Balding at gate 3 is just unpalatable.
It's so in depth it even include cuckoldry for redittors, once again they rub no one in the wrong way but include something for everyone.

Mortmal

Arcane
Let's see:
A much better and cohesive story. Better characters. Better voice acting (it was the age of classic voice acting, where the actors were carefully selected for maximum effect), AD&D 2E game (The KING of D&D editions), better soundtrack, a sense of old-school adventuring and dungeon crawling.
Am I missing something?
You're wrong about everything, but that's okay. You're still young, and I'm here to enlighten you. No need to thank me. The story in BG3 is much more developed and sophisticated, offering a wide array of choices. There are so many choices that you'll never see everything. I just learned right now that cuckoldry was included in the game.

The voice acting is the best I've ever seen and pairs well with fantastic actor performances. AD&D 2e settings, only the settings, were the best. As for the ruleset, it's as flawed as anything else, and there are tons of OSR systems that do it better. Everything it does tactically can be achieved with any other RPG system. However, the ruleset doesn't matter that much in an RPG; you need a bit of everything in an RPG, but storytelling is king.

You forgot to mention the combat. In Baldur's Gate, the mediocre real-time with pause (RTWP) system is simply due to old Blizzard game success. They matched some bastardized Warcraft combat into an RPG. That alone should be enough to disqualify it. The encounters are finely tuned, hand-placed, and much more tactical than anything else from Baldur's Gate. Now, that's a lot closer to an RPG and what I would call more old-school.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Serious question: does Starfield even deserve to be nominated for GOTY at this point? I would put BG3, TOTK, Dave the Diver, Armored Core 6, RE4 Remake and Pikmin 4 as my GOTY nominees.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom