Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

It's time to do justice: Risen or The Witcher 2

Which game is the better one?

• Risen

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • The Witcher 2

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • Roofles! You call those RPGs? They both suck!

Votes: 10 9.7%

• Total voters

CorpseZeb

Learned
But then, If Tw's are not a free roaming type of girls, there is not point to do that.

Ps. Risen IS, that's why “syndrome of small... island” is so visible.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Risen 48 ~ 48 TW2

The pressure. I cannot take it anymore. When is over?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Even if it will be 49:48. It still doesn't mean shit.

The Codex is undecided.

End of the bus line.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Exactly. Both games have their ups and downs. I personally liked Risen more, but if I had to pick one to replay it would be Twitcher 2.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Risen has that great exploration thing going for it and amazing 'living' npc's. Both things I greatly appreciate in games. Just like the Gothic games however Risen suffers from a great start which slowly crumbles as the game progresses.

The Witcher 2 looks great, has a great story, has c&c and actually feels a lot more polished and complete. Not to mention the support the devs seem to keep on pumping in the game with free dlc and an upcoming free improved version.

Witcher it is though I honestly like 'em both. Waiting for september 29th to start a replay though. The 2.0 Witcher 2 version will then be released and it does look like it will be cool.

Captain Shrek

Trash said:
Risen has that great exploration thing going for it and amazing 'living' npc's.

Where did you find these living NPCs???

MapMan

Arcane
Just like Elrwo said, TW2 never wanted to introduce the exploration aspect, therefore when it comes to exploration, Risen wins by default. Imho TW2 does everything but exploration better. :polishnazi:

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Fucksticks, I forgot Konjad is Polish. Assemble the Polish firing squad. Execute this traitor!

Martyr

Arcane
arise from thy grave !
:necro:
I actually play video games to do something/be active. doesn't matter how good the story in TW2/3 is, the neverending cutscenes drive me up the wall.
so +1 vote --> Risen

edit: Risen vs The Witcher 1 would be harder to decide.

Master

Arbiter
One of the more retarded things in TW2 were those forced sneaking sections. when Geralt hunches. You cant ever enter stealth mode on your own, it only gets turned on basically for story reasons, when the devs want to have "and then in the middle of the night, Geralt snuck out of the prison" story moment. Surprised that this hasnt been criticized more on the 'Dex. Voted Risen.

typical user

Arbiter
Witcher is more on the rails than Risen. Also in Risen you can get kicked into monastery and forced into a specific faction. The only thing I didn't like in Risen was running around the map killing lizardmen and wearing a full plate armor with shield and a hammer even if you were a mage hurling fireballs.

Cadmus

Arcane
Risen's first third is great, the rest slowly descends into crazy bullshit. TW2 beginning is too slow but then it gets better. I prefer TW2.

Paul_cz

Arcane
TW2 is a storydriven cinematic RPG.

Risen is an exploration-based RPG.

Both are awesome at what they focus on, which are different things.

Both suffer by having their last acts being a bit weak. Risen's second act in particular drove me up the wall with boredom. Still awesome game on the whole though.

Loostreaks

Learned
Both are action RPGs. But TW2 has shitty combat.

All Piranha Bytes games have had trash combat. Weapons feel like wet paper sticks without any hit feedback, animations/sound design/visual effects are below even many indies, balancing is broken, hitboxes and I-frames are arguably worst in the genre, exceptionally weak boss fights, poor encounter design, enemy mob stunlock, etc, etc.
They can barely be considered than Bethesda in this. CDPR and Spiders are nothing next to DMC or Platinum , but substantially better than those two.

How is this even a vote? Risen 1 is a pretty good game. Not as good as Gothics, but pretty damn good. The later parts of it do turn to shit, but still, overall a very enjoyable experience.

Witcher 2 is absolute shit. It's not even a game, it's a fucking interactive movie. Opening a door and climbing a ladder are mini-cinematics, ffs. There is no exploration, combat is utter shit (the rolling is still triggering me), and even the story is crap (Witcher 1 was much better). Oh, we will have a blatant Joan of Arc rip-off, except she is a Dragon!

Master

Arbiter
All Piranha Bytes games have had trash combat. Weapons feel like wet paper sticks without any hit feedback, animations/sound design/visual effects are below even many indies
Nobody plays Gothic strictly for combat but for character progression to which combat is tied to. By your logic i shouldnt play Deus Ex either because combat doesnt look like FEAR. Sure it would be nice if it did but its not the point anyway. Visuals may get old but RPG mechanics of both these games still hold up.
balancing is broken, hitboxes and I-frames are arguably worst in the genre, exceptionally weak boss fights, poor encounter design, enemy mob stunlock, etc, etc.
As for encounter design(enemy placement), Gothic has this nailed like no other game?? Certainly better than Bethesdas and it shouldnt be compared with linear CDP games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom