Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I've finally decided on what exactly makes Morrowind...

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I don't like to exploit in that way. :(

I'll go fix it....

Terpsichore

Arcane
Isn't Oblivion just as dull, boring and its only redeeming point (mindless exploration) is ruined by awful combat?

Gord

Arcane
DraQ said:
Well, except Morrowind has rather low density of enemies.

With or without cliff racers?

Anyway, enemy density is high enough that you spend a significant time fighting.
As the mana-cost for spells is relatively high and you need some time to get your char to a level where he can cast spells effectively enough I found myself either binge-drinking potions or rest-spamming. Both didn't exactly feel "right".
I tried a mod that added mana-regen (not too fast, also depending on your willpower) and it did help a lot, imho.

Ruprekt

Scholar
Terpsichore said:
Isn't Oblivion just as dull, boring and its only redeeming point (mindless exploration) is ruined by awful combat?

Oblivion as shipped has no redeeming points.

However the combat is rather awesome when modded with Deadly Reflex (think Dark Messiah of M&M).

DraQ

Arcane
Gord said:
DraQ said:
Well, except Morrowind has rather low density of enemies.

With or without cliff racers?
Even with cliffracers - they can be avoided if you can be arsed to look up sometimes. Besides, there is one glitch I actually don't mind using, which is very useful against cliffies - levitate 1pt 1s large AoE on target tends to make them fall down and often kill themselves. Plus, cliffies aren't very durable - usual ones have only 45 HP, blighted ones are sturdier with double amount of health. You can use circinate spells to kill them with little magicka expenditure, or make yourself a lightweight pest control spell/enchantment using drain health.

Anyway, enemy density is high enough that you spend a significant time fighting.
As the mana-cost for spells is relatively high and you need some time to get your char to a level where he can cast spells effectively enough I found myself either binge-drinking potions or rest-spamming. Both didn't exactly feel "right".
I tried a mod that added mana-regen (not too fast, also depending on your willpower) and it did help a lot, imho.
Well, mana regen does help in such cases, though potions are still rather important for an offensive caster. A serious offensive spell will consume about 100 magicka, so you need to make each count as you will probably get off no more than two of those without recharge. Circinate offensive spells are best thought of as low cost supplements to heavy duty ones, rather than major firepower on their own.

Finally, if you use blunt weapons as backup (which is sensible with all that magical staves and such), there is Molag Bal's quest that will give you rather potent recharger.

Gord

Arcane
DraQ said:
Well, mana regen does help in such cases, though potions are rather important for an offensive caster. A serious offensive spell will consume about 100 magicka, so you need it to count as you will probably get off no more than two of those without recharge. Circinate offensive spells are best thought of as low cost supplements to heavy duty ones, rather than major firepower on their own.

It's absolutely ok if you have to use potions in a (hard) fight. But if I have to drink a potion (or rest) every time I have used a spell, somethings wrong, imho. For me, mana regen has fixed that problem in Morrowind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom