Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I've had it with this P.O.S. Witcher

I wanted to try Vista to see how it actually works, since it's no real pain to install XP if I feel like it. I haven't yet tried it on XP and new machine, but XP and old machine (A64 4200+, X1950XT) was unbearable. It seems only shit games actually work stable with good framerates, like Oblivion (really) and C&C3.

Ammar

Scholar
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Lestat said:
Delirious Nomad said:
I'm finding it ultimatley unimpressive. I don't care for the combat and the talent trees.
I didn't play the original version, but there's still too much loading, preventing the game from flowing. I had more fun with Dungeon Lords (unpatched).
What? The loading times are no more than 5 seconds long on my (moderate) machine. And I have the resource hog Vista is installed.

I bought my PC last week (q8200, R4850, vista 64) and the loading times, while not overwhelming, are still annoying, more like 15-20 seconds. But that's irrelevant.

The most annoying flaws here are the long distances to walk, shit combat system and too much combat. It even appears that the game somehow detests you if you want to just skip combat and run away, since you cannot loot when there's enemies nearby, and Geralt always moves so slowly when you're trying to escape. Fucking swamps, shit enemies appear constantly from nowhere. Just like playing a Final Fantasy game.

I've Vista and a C2D 6600, a Geforce 8800 GTS and loading times are much shorter for me. About 3-5 secs I'd say. But harddisc + Ram tends to be more important for loading times and I have a Raid 0 and 4 GB Ram.

Skankster

Novice
skyway said:
Hory said:
For the record, Witcher is better than 99% of the RPGs released in recent years. It's polished

Yeah. Now. Try 1.0

That observation is not really valid. Arcanum was a bugfest when it first came out.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Skankster said:
skyway said:
Hory said:
For the record, Witcher is better than 99% of the RPGs released in recent years. It's polished

Yeah. Now. Try 1.0

That observation is not really valid. Arcanum was a bugfest when it first came out.

ToEE. I played it unpatched and oh god oh god. Witcher 1.0 may have been a trial, but at least it's playable.

Heresiarch

Prophet
I agree the fact that running back and forth can become quite tedious in TW. I just restarted the game and my patience wore out very quick as I must run all around the whole Outskirt to do the quests.

While almost every other good RPG have parts require running back and forth, the problem with TW lies with that you must hold down the W key to move all the way, while in Fallout, BGs or PST you just need to do a single click to do the pathfinding. In KOTOR, the areas are smaller to run around. In GTA, there's awesome sights to view along the road. In Oblivion, you've the almighty FAST TRAVUL!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Skankster said:
skyway said:
Hory said:

Yeah. Now. Try 1.0

nice logic thar

bozia2012 said:
skyway said:
Hory said:

Yeah. Now. Try 1.0

1.1 was available from day one or was it not?

whatever. Optimization was still shitty even with 1.2 patch (with which I've completed the game)

Crispy said:
the loading times, while not overwhelming, are still annoying, more like 15-20 seconds

RAID0 is your friend.

Hm, maybe I'll consider buing another hard drive, if that truly increases performance that much. Or maybe I'm just overestimating the loading times since I'm impatient.

Gerrard

Arcane
Geralt always moves so slowly when you're trying to escape
What the fuck? In fast or group style he runs faster than a Nigerian sprinter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom