Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview J.E. Sawyer Interview By Grupo97

Rosh

Erudite
Re: DAC Sez That Voodoo Extreme Sez ....

Damn, haven't seen 4too in a long time. Good to see he's still around. Wait...I can understand what he's saying. IMPOSTOR! :D

I think this sums up that situation entirely:

Ausir said:
Well, FO4 might at least use a better engine now.

No shit. Just wait until Carmack realizes that he's mistaken about the overlap once he plays Fallout 3.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Darth Roxor said:
Shannow said:
Does that mean there won't be a Guild Wars 2? What a shame...

It didn't sound promising at all, anyway.
Dunno, sounded as if it'd move more into the WOW direction. Of course it would have depended on the final execution but I wouldn't have minded the move itself. GW had too little char dev (apart from combining skills) for my taste in the newer add-ons. And I'd actually play some WOW if it had GW's payment scheme :oops:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Judging by the recent development on Alpha Protocol which proves that you can make a game worse than Mass Effect - which is coming from a very very talented Avellone - New Vegas will be even worse.
I wonder if talking deathclaws are in.

Kingston said:
Rosh said:
Finally when the PAUs were done, they could only be used in a select zone. Pointless, much, for all that time and work? Oh, by the way, enjoy them for less than half a month, because the game is shutting down. The PAUs came out more than two months after NCSoft announced that TR was going bye-bye.

Hahahhaahah... Who the fuck managed this shipwreck? Sounds almost worse than Flagship's Hellgate (a brilliant experiment of making a game without any design documents - Roper actually said they never made design documents, opting instead for "dynamic creation" or some such nonsense).

Wow....only in the gaming industry.

Data4

Arcane
NCsoft NA isn't completely calling it quits. In collaboration with their Asian main base, they're bringing Aion over to the west. The game sure looks pretty and has been getting some decent beta press, but it looks a lot like Lineage 3 to me.

As for this lawsuit, sounds interesting. I need to read up on that more, since this is the first I've heard of it.

Ausir

Arcane
No shit. Just wait until Carmack realizes that he's mistaken about the overlap once he plays Fallout 3.
I'm not sure whether they'll be able to use id Tech 5 properly, after years with NetImmerse/GameBryo, which they never got good with either.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Ausir said:
I'm not sure whether they'll be able to use id Tech 5 properly, after years with NetImmerse/GameBryo, which they never got good with either.

Good point. Besides, they're gonna need their modders to fix their new games, and many might not be bothered to learn a whole new system for Tech 5.

Ausir

Arcane
I wouldn't be that surprised, though, if ZeniMax told them tu use id Tech 5 instead of licensing out GameBryo.

Chefe

Erudite
But it wouldn't be Bethesda without a shitty engine.

It's kind of funny. In 15 years they've only used two engines - Xngine and Netimmerse - and the former was developed in house. That must be how they've been able to stay in business all this time while releasing only a few games (their games having incredibly long lifespans is another point).

Rosh

Erudite
Chefe said:
But it wouldn't be Bethesda without a shitty engine.

Speaking of which, while trying to install Fallout 3 onto my secondary computer so I could play it while avoiding Alt+Tabbing to write my review, I ran into some interesting fun.

Halfway through patching, the game decides to load up again. Well, since it only had half the assets updated at the time, it really wasn't fully patched. The patching software froze when the game launched. Then I exit out of the game and it all closes. I try to run the game, but it's corrupted to the point of the patcher saying I have the current version, but the game files are fuckered up, so actual gameplay was impossible because it would crash upon loading a save game.

FUN!

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Chefe said:
That must be how they've been able to stay in business all this time while releasing only a few games (their games having incredibly long lifespans is another point).
The horse armor DLC, never forget about the horse armor. Seriously, I bet quite a lot of idiots bought it on April 1, when Bethesda raised the price for it, just because they thought it was funny. I suppose the asshole hurts less if the rapist winks before he does the deed.

Data4

Arcane
I wish, if they insist on making graphic whorehouses of games, that Bethesda would use something like CryEngine 2 or 3. I mean, if you're just going to go for appearance, go all out. It would at least provide a decent excuse for gameplay suckage. If NCSoft can use it for a MMO, surely Beth could use it for The Elder Fallout: Shit Just Keeps Spewin'.

slamelov

Novice
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Gaming site Grupo97 <a href="http://grupo97.halconesrojos.com/index.php/artlos-mainmenu-28/9-juegos/346-jesawyerinterview">has an interview with J.E. Sawyer</a> up (in English), that asks some interesting questions about his views on gaming in general. Anyone looking for New Vegas information will be slightly disappointed, but it's a good read itself. Here's a few juicy quotes.<blockquote>The threshold of simplicity that a hardcore gamer will accept is a lot lower than the threshold of difficulty that a mainstream gamer will accept.

A hardcore gamer may accept an automapping tool but scoff that in "the old days", he or she had to write things out on graph paper. A mainstream gamer will probably not accept the absence of an automapping tool. He or she will stop playing the game and tell everyone they know that it is terrible.
[...]
<b>- Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment... Great games were developed at Black Isle, kind of games not easy to see today on the shelves. Some of them sold great, as Baldur's Gate. Do you believe would it be still possible to develop similar games to those today?</b>

I guess it depends on how similar they need to be. In terms of mechanics, I think a lot of gamers wouldn't accept the controls or conventions of those old games. In terms of content, I believe it's still possible to do, but it's harder now.
[...]
The current gaming market doesn't typically support big budget games that deal with intellectually mature issues. Mature content is equated with sex and violence. Video games have not often been used as a theme-based or didactic medium, but that's not entirely the publisher's or developer's fault. As with films and books, most gaming audiences simply don't care as much about issues and themes as they do about visceral feedback.
[...]
I only did a bit of design work on the Dark Alliance games, but I think it was good for Interplay and Black Isle to work with Snowblind on those projects. Black Isle consisted almost entirely of PC RPG developers and it gave us a narrow focus. I think working on console titles helped open up some of the developers (myself included) to look at other input systems and gameplay styles.</blockquote>Go check it out. It's a nice interview.

Thanks <b>Santiago</b>!

The link has moved to
http://grupo97.org/index.php?option=com ... &Itemid=65

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom