Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jade Empire: IP fuckup?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Okay, so it's been five years since Jade Empire was released, and not another game set in that setting or even a hint of another game. It's confusing; Bioware doesn't seem to be the type to make a new IP and then only use it on one game. They're milkmaids. So what happened? The game sold alright didn't it?

Multi-headed Cow

I dunno. If they're gonna make a beat-'em-up RPG I wish they'd do a new Jade Empire instead of Dragon Age 2.

Rhalle

Magister
If martial arts movies ever become blockbusters again, you can bet your ass we will see a Jade Empire 2.

Now that I think of it, if Bioware was so eager to get at that weeaboo cash, why didn't they anime-up Jade Empire?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The combat in JE was too slow for a beat-em-up and too broken, some styles were clearly much preferable to others. If they could fix that, however, JE2 could be an entertaining action-ey game.

Dicksmoker said:
The game sold alright didn't it?
What matters is that it was their least successful game this past decade.

Rhalle said:
If martial arts movies ever become blockbusters again, you can bet your ass we will see a Jade Empire 2.

We should be getting a gay vampire rpg then.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It bombed. Volourn and Josh Sawyer got into an epic argument over it over on the Obsidian forums which culminated in "That's because you don't know anything about game development." Volourn status: Told.

Roguey said:
It bombed. Volourn and Josh Sawyer got into an epic argument over it over on the Obsidian forums which culminated in "That's because you don't know anything about game development." Volourn status: Told.
:lol:

Links? Plzzzzzzz?!?!

chzr

Erudite
image002.gif

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
So Volly read the chart which said that XBOX-JE made Bio&MS $14 million as saying that it took $14 mill to actually make the game? R00fles!

It's only North-America and only XBOX. Wonder how much it sold in Europe and on PC.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I think it was pretty cute how Volo came up in every thread about the asian game reassuring everyone that Bioware made a big, or at least a decent (much tears), profit on this game. Obviously this shit tanked, it wasn't hyped enough and everyone forgot about it. Good fucking riddance, hell yeah, here it is for you I spit in your face fuck man im getting pumped lets fight you fucking little shit i will fucking kill you this isnt about video games anymore

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Serious_Business said:
I think it was pretty cute how Volo came up in every thread about the asian game reassuring everyone that Bioware made a big, or at least a decent (much tears), profit on this game. Obviously this shit tanked, it wasn't hyped enough and everyone forgot about it. Good fucking riddance, hell yeah, here it is for you I spit in your face fuck man im getting pumped lets fight you fucking little shit i will fucking kill you this isnt about video games anymore

srs business... oh right, carry on.

I remember them talking about all the plans they had for their new IP, and then *poof* nothing else ever happened. Shame.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Dicksmoker said:
It is their most interesting setting.

Interesting doesn't sadly equal most money returned for time invested. Bioware is still just one team/studio is it not? Kinda odd that they haven't expanded by now - profit is still profit, even if a JE sequel wouldn't reach ME numbers.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Dicksmoker said:
JE? It's erm, well... yeah, on second thought, and compared to TheDAS and ME (their only other creations), it's definitely miles better. It had a lot of untapped potential - contrasting the Empire with the equivalent of Europe, a more dynamic relationship between the typical fantasy tropes (magic! golems! demons!) and the almost-steampunk elements (the insectoid ships, the floating palace), stuff that sadly never even gets a side mention. You're just supposed to take it all as it is. But even in its current shape it was far less generic than Generic Space Opera 101 and Generic High Fantasy 101.

Hegel

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Dicksmoker said:
JE? It's erm, well... yeah, on second thought, and compared to TheDAS and ME (their only other creations), it's definitely miles better. It had a lot of untapped potential - contrasting the Empire with the equivalent of Europe, a more dynamic relationship between the typical fantasy tropes (magic! golems! demons!) and the almost-steampunk elements (the insectoid ships, the floating palace), stuff that sadly never even gets a side mention. You're just supposed to take it all as it is. But even in its current shape it was far less generic than Generic Space Opera 101 and Generic High Fantasy 101.
You saying that was " the new shit"?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Turisas said:
Interesting doesn't sadly equal most money returned for time invested. Bioware is still just one team/studio is it not? Kinda odd that they haven't expanded by now - profit is still profit, even if a JE sequel wouldn't reach ME numbers.
Bioware's gigantic, you have at least two teams in Edmonton (ME and DA) plus Montreal, Austin (TOR), etc. Their yellowface setting wasn't able to break even after a year so it was either shelved entirely or put on the backburner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom