Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance Jagged Alliance 2: a great simulation wrapped in a boring game?

Snufkin

Augur
Any reason why you play 1.13? It seems to be a mixed bag.

Andnjord

Arcane
I did my first playthrough with 1.13 a bunch of years ago, it definitely felt too much and I could never finish it either. Maybe it makes sense for people who’ve played the base game a lot already.

__scribbles__

Educated
It's Jagged Alliance 2 but MOAR. If you want that, you download 1.13. Also it's very modular, so you can pick and choose the features you want. It's pretty much for experienced players who've seen almost all the game has to offer in its vanilla state and want more variables to play around with.

Snufkin

Augur
I bought game when it came out. On my first play I recruited many of those 1 lvl A.I.M. merceneries. I got frustrated around Alma, I just got pwned and realized it would be better to spend cash on better merceneries. So I restarted and hired Buns and Lynx. Lynx having a 99 Marksman and level 4 he was very good at early levels when my IMP was still low level. I used Buns and Ira for training militia only. Later on when I got some income I just bought those high level costly A.I.M.'s and finished the game.

I wont tell you all tricks and tips Porkythepaladin, but high level exp of merceneries takes a big role because interuptions are based on exp level. Also being Auto weapon expert for IMP is very good idea. There are no mercenaries that have that combination.. two burst means two dead bodies in late game.

Covenant

Savant
Jagged Alliance 2 is one of the best games I've ever played, but one thing that I think would have improved it would have been if the opening part of the game had included a couple of indoor maps rather than outdoor ones. The pistols you and your enemies use aren't suited for long-range fights, so you get the commonly-seen complaints about early battles being a drawn-out affair of you and the enemy constantly missing each other. Veterans will ameliorate that with night missions, or starting with better-equipped mercs, but I think starting off with indoor maps (like a prison break or something) would have been a good way to give new players opportunity to experiment with melee, gain a level or so, and maybe acquire a rifle in the process.

Whenever I start a new campaign, I generally resign myself to four/five boring fights that go the same way every time (Omerta, then taking Drassen) before the game actually becomes great. The above change wouldn't fix that problem per se, but it'd feel a lot more fitting to provide an optional skip for something like that (in the vein of BG2's 'Dungeon-Be-Gone') than it would be to throw in an option to just start with Drassen captured.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom