Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance Jagged Alliance 2, Temple of Elemental Evil & Silent Storm Retrospectives

Which game has the best tactics?

• Jagged Alliance 2

• Silent Storm

• Temple of Elemental Evil

Results are only viewable after voting.

jungl

Augur

This video perfect example monster stats need to be modified like they did with kingmaker or simply make more challenging encounters. Temple of elemental evil was too easy. When the games final encounter can be solved with one fireball you got a poor combat fag game.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Party of 18. Note the precision in positioning. Not many RPGs have this:

party%2Bof%2B18.jpg

Also, no one caught my Nixon reference? Oh, well.

Participation awards for March 2020 have been released:

Comte

When you writing up Arcanum? Do you use the unofficial patch when playing Arcanum?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No. Unofficial patches are for faggots, and are not authoritative.

Drog's pretty purist about just fixing bugs, restoring unmirrored sprites, and not changing content. :M

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Drog's pretty purist about just fixing bugs, restoring unmirrored sprites, and not changing content. :M

We're talking in the context of writing retrospectives. A retrospective is "a looking back" at something. In this case, a looking back at Troika's Arcanum, NOT Fan Arcanum.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
We're talking in the context of writing retrospectives. A retrospective is "a looking back" at something. In this case, a looking back at Troika's Arcanum, NOT Fan Arcanum.

I hope when you write about Troika's Arcanum you mention that you're forced to use mirrored sprites even though regular sprites exist in the files, there's just no option to enable them. :)

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Lord_Potato , what is fake news there? That is citation from the site of one of the leading SEO experts on the planet.

I cite the stats because some shitposters said my site garnered no views; it's why you've gone quiet. :smug:

You should be happy that somone of my power, potency and prestige is bringing the best RPGs ever to the masses. Don't be bitter.

:troll:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
From Shoutbox:

aweigh : has Lilura been posting recently?

I hadn't logged into the 'Dex for a month and a half. Been too busy posting Arcanum write-ups. But thanks for thinking of me.

Latro : Lilura outstripped crpgaddict a while ago.

That amounts to six months straight, with the gulf ever-widening. Then again, Renaissance will always trump older eras in terms of keyword searches. Anyway, May was a great month for my blog, the best in six months, and so I don't feel like I have to cite the stats that prove inclining or non-trivial viewership, anymore.

PorkyThePaladin : She triggers like an old flintlock pistol soaked in ritalin.

Still upset that I called you PorkyThePopamoler? j/k And yes, I coined Poncefinder: Cuckmaker, but feel free to employ my monocled terminology; Google knows their origins.

As for other comments, I've never posted under an alt on the 'Dex and nor do I have one in reserve.

Thanks for all the friendly tags and emoticons while I was away.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
What one learns or does not learn from my write-ups is dependent on one's knowledge of their subject matter.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
What one learns or does not learn from my write-ups is dependent on one's knowledge of their subject matter.
So, it's just a walkthrough. A good one and detailed, but still. What's the point of such work? People, who played Arcanum more than once don't need this for they know all this stuff. People, who didn't play Arcanum could be interested in such walkthrough, but it's too detailed for first-timers.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
What's amazing to me, is that Lilura pretends to be a monocled 90s tactical game connoisseur yet ignores that Xcom Apocalypse was better than any of the 3 as a tactical game, AND it was released prior to all 3. There are many features in Xcom Apocalypse that remain unsurpassed in gaming to this day, like its great faction system. Jagged alliance 2 was a good game but in my opinion 2nd to Apocalypse. Silent Storm is generally inferior to those 2, only graphics are more modern. And ToEE in general is trash, let's be honest, it had a nice DnD combat implementation but that implementation should have been used in an actual video game.

Efe

Erudite
xcom 3 is amazing until you read about cut features.
Then its all :negative:
After completing this game I know how Francis Coppola felt after filming 'Apocalypse Now'. Just about everything that could go wrong did go wrong, and the amount of effort required to pull it into shape was immense. After three years of hard work and five different producers 'X-Com: Apocalypse' finally hit the streets. The initial game design was definitely too ambitious and too complex. The aim was to recreate in some detail the events, organisations and personalities within a futuristic megalopolis. Each corporation had a leader who could be tailed, arrested, interrogated or assassinated. Organisations could buy and sell buildings as their financial fortunes changed. X-COM agents could spy on other organisations to gain valuable information. A sophisticated diplomacy display allowed the player to instigate aggressive or defensive alliances with other organisations.

There were multiple alien dimensions, generated pseudo-randomly, and the aliens gradually expanded their empire as the game progressed. The game also featured a scenario generator and multiplayer options using a hotseat turn based system or a real time LAN option. Most of these features were implemented to some degree, but were finally stripped out due to the horrendous amount of work involved in QA and debugging.

We decided right at the start of the project to include an option for real time tactical combat or turn based. This decision alone caused many of the headaches for the programmers, but the final implementation of the real time combat stands up as a truly innovative system.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
xcom 3 is amazing until you read about cut features.
Then its all :negative:
After completing this game I know how Francis Coppola felt after filming 'Apocalypse Now'. Just about everything that could go wrong did go wrong, and the amount of effort required to pull it into shape was immense. After three years of hard work and five different producers 'X-Com: Apocalypse' finally hit the streets. The initial game design was definitely too ambitious and too complex. The aim was to recreate in some detail the events, organisations and personalities within a futuristic megalopolis. Each corporation had a leader who could be tailed, arrested, interrogated or assassinated. Organisations could buy and sell buildings as their financial fortunes changed. X-COM agents could spy on other organisations to gain valuable information. A sophisticated diplomacy display allowed the player to instigate aggressive or defensive alliances with other organisations.

There were multiple alien dimensions, generated pseudo-randomly, and the aliens gradually expanded their empire as the game progressed. The game also featured a scenario generator and multiplayer options using a hotseat turn based system or a real time LAN option. Most of these features were implemented to some degree, but were finally stripped out due to the horrendous amount of work involved in QA and debugging.

We decided right at the start of the project to include an option for real time tactical combat or turn based. This decision alone caused many of the headaches for the programmers, but the final implementation of the real time combat stands up as a truly innovative system.

Doesn't matter. Xcom Apocalypse is STILL an amazing game, even with all the troubles it got through development. I have never witnessed a better overworld map and a better faction system in a strategy game ever since. And that game came out in 1997. Jagged Alliance 2 has NOTHING on Apocalypse. The only cool thing about JA2 is that it is contemporary with real life guns and shit. It is far poorer in the overworld map for all intends and purposes, and there is no real faction system. Also the combat is worse in my opinion, and Apocalypse offers the option to have real time combat as well.

Anyone who claims JA2 is better than Apocalypse is a moron and should be ignored.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom