Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Jagged Alliance 3D posers and ponderings at GameZone

Human Shield

Augur
Psilon said:
Multiple skills? Don't make me laugh. Five guys with Browning M2s can basically destroy anything in a map. The sixth can take an energy weapon and "pilot."

Correction, you can beat the game with ONE guy with Browning M2.

Severian Silk

Saint_Proverbius said:
<blockquote>Max:</b> We are using the original game mechanics from JA1-2...</blockquote>

Lies!!! I thought they axed the strategic layer??

Direwolf

Arcane
So why would I ever play that game if they axed the strategic layer? What's the point? :(

elander_

Arbiter
"It must be good! GameSpy and IGN gave it great reviews! Seriously, that kind of argument makes me wonder if you're just baiting."

I never saw a completely shitty game get 90% scores in almost every site review. It's a better argument than making one sentence posts saying FT is a nasty word.

If Fallout tactical combat and tactical combat gameplay was like FT it would be a true evolution of it's combat. Don't deny Fallout evolution in terms of tactical combat.

elander_

Arbiter
micmu said:
I bet you like really enjoyed Dungeon Siege, too.

It's not my type of game. That doesn't mean the game isnt interesting for people who like Diablo clones or that it deserves such an high score.

Ryuken

Liturgist
Most Diablo clones are better than DS. Bringing up some review scores, or even gamerankingspages, isn't a bright way to argue. A lot of games are way overhyped or trashed for nothing.

I couldn't play FO:T for more than an hour. JA2 and S² are leagues ahead of it, and not only in terms of system/tactical possibilities but also in general (sound, graphics fit just right with those games, in FO:T the graphics felt more like 'Hey, I rendered something nice and shiny' and there is almost no sound at all).

Direwolf

Arcane
Come on people! It is well known that IGN, Gamespy and Gamespot are the most trusted sources for game reviews...

elander_

Arbiter
Ryuken said:
Most Diablo clones are better than DS. Bringing up some review scores, or even gamerankingspages, isn't a bright way to argue. A lot of games are way overhyped or trashed for nothing.

We all know that game sites are not to be trusted, but it would be hard to think of a world conspiracy to sell a shity game like FT if it was so mediocre as people say. It's a poor argument but it has it's purpose just like reading what some guy says about it on the internet. Playing the game is the best argument of them all.

Ryuken said:
I couldn't play FO:T for more than an hour.

I played it twice after patching the game, read the manual for the new stuff and played the game without cheating and i consider it a great tactical combat game. There are tons of FT fans who played the game right and enjoyed it and this weren't Halo players that i remenber. If you enjoyed Fallout combat just for its combat and didn't get too upset with it's non-canon main-quest i don't see a reason for anyone to dislike it. The game is in everything an evolution of Fallout combat.

Ryuken said:
JA2 and S² are leagues ahead of it, and not only in terms of system/tactical possibilities

I think i mentioned JA2 was a better game both in tactical combat and and the rp/strategy mix. I even pointed out some reasons for it. Never played silent-storm but guess what im going to do something not so bright and try it some day based on what some guys on a forum said.

Direwolf

Arcane
elander_ said:
Ryuken said:

We all know that game sites are not to be trusted, but it would be hard to think of a world conspiracy to sell a shity game like FT if it was so mediocre as people say. It's a poor argument but it has it's purpose just like reading what some guy says about it on the internet. Playing the game is the best argument of them all.

It is not a cospiracy. It is just good business practice for them. Good reviews from sites like IGN and Gamestop mean more sales for the publisher, which in turn provides aforementioned sites with exclusive interviews, screenshots, movies etc.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
LlamaGod said:
Intelligence - WORTHLESS

Intelligence = more skill points per level.

Hardly useless.

The big problem with FOT was it's overly narrow view on what tactics means. They should have had similar tactical situations, but looked to Fallout and Fallout 2 on ways of dealing with those situations. There should have been ways to use Science to hack computer consoles to turn defenses on the defenders, open security gates, etc. Lockpicking should have been used for more things than just extra goodies from scattered lock boxes on maps. Outdoorsman could have been used to find plant bits for making stimpacks and giving the player more feedback on terrain advantages.

The only useful skills in FOT were really just the healing and shooting skills. They really should have been more creative in their design on what tactics really is.

Psilon

Erudite
elander_ said:
The Browning M2s need a minimum strength value to be used that is very big for most chars.
Um, no. Strength 6 plus Weapon Handling is all it takes for the 9 ST minimum, and the cost (burning a Perk) is well worth it. I had no problem waltzing through the game that way. I admit I used sneak with the SMGs and shotguns in the beginning, but the M2 is just so overpowered a weapon one doesn't need to cheat for it to be effective all the way through the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom