Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Jagged Alliance 3D Q&A at CRPG.ru

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Jagged Alliance 3D

Russian CRPG gaming site <A href="http://www.crpg.ru/">CRPG.ru</a> have <a href="http://www.crpg.ru/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1931">an interview</A> posted with <b>Yaroslav Astakhov</b> of <a href="http://www.mistgames.com/">MISTLand</a> about <A href="http://www.mistgames.com/projects.php?project_id=2">Jagged Alliance 3D</a>. There's 19 questions, but I figured this was the important one:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>CRPG.ru: What’s the effect of turning combat into "real-time with pause" mode? Is it the simplest version, or can we customize autopause settings and adjust the game speed?
<br>
<br>
MiST land–South:</b> We made autopause completely customizable, and player can choose the events that trigger it. But you can turn the pause on at any time you like and you can also adjust the game speed.
<br>
<br>
The real-time combat offers many possibilities that are impossible and unnecessary in turn-based mode. Our goal is to demonstrate that the real-time combat doesn't aways mean mindless arcade, and can be deep and thoughtful.</blockquote>
<br>
Right, because mindless arcade games are more interactive.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Ex-Paradise Cracked Beta Tester said:
We’re making special accent on automation, to let the player concentrate on tactic instead of micromanagement of soldiers.

Because what games really need is more automation...

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Yup, maybe they should call this game Dungeon Siege 2 with Guns or something. Real time with pause is the ultimate in how phase based should NOT be done just because it ultimately ends up being a few seconds of set up and a hell of a lot of watching.

bgillisp

Scholar
Or, in the case of BG, set up, watch, and react with spells as needed. Though, I will admit that in battles with high level mages, that did get kind of interesting as you had to react a lot.

obediah

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Yup, maybe they should call this game Dungeon Siege 2 with Guns or something. Real time with pause is the ultimate in how phase based should NOT be done just because it ultimately ends up being a few seconds of set up and a hell of a lot of watching.

I'm worried that you being right about this game, but I don't think the bordeom of Dungeon Siege was the result of RTwP. The closest turn based analog I can think of would be Pool Of Radiance II - and the combat in that game was worse than Dungeon Seige - just as repetitive, just as boring, and a whole lot more tedious.

I think your comment about RTwP is more accurate for WEGO than RTwP. I think it's an interesting twist on gamplay - I had a lot of fun with Combat Mission.

As I see it there are two major reasons to go with RT over TB

1) To speed things up, pander to multiplayer and casual gamers

2) Remove/Reduce the artifacts of discreetizing time

The first is an interest killer for me. I'm really intrigued by the second, but so far have been dissapointed by all the attempts. There is a lot of potential there, and I think sooner or later we're going to see a really good RTwP implementation that isn't dumbed down and feels more natural than TB. It's already making big inroads in the strategy crowd, and roleplaying traces back to some fatty strategy gamer in the 60s/70s that decided to name his favorite miniature.

Balor

Arcane
Well, you CAN have very complex combat system (in fact, combat system of E5 is WAY more complex then one of Ja2) with smart-pause, and have no trouble managing it. What do you want - complexity and realism, or TB just for sake of having it? After all, TB is just a tool to be able to have a manageable complex combat system.
I suspect you just don't see the forest cause trees are in the way.
P.S.
Well, I also suspect that JA3D will be worse then we hope, but for different reasons.

EEVIAC

Erudite
RTWP has inherrent redundancy problems, that's why there's so much automation in RT games. Without the automation you get situations where characters are being attacked out of the players field of view and not responding as they should. If you set up a "customized pause" function to stop that happening, the player has to stop, assess the threat, make a command, then continue with the RT shitfight. This isn't an improvement over pure TB.

There's also the problem with synching actions with stats. If you have a perceptive character that's fast on his feet, without automation that character is still going to react only as fast as the player does, and the reaction might well be a bonehead tactical decision. That just doesn't happen in TB.

Real-time has its place but its never going to usurp turn-based in both depth and thought, despite the dinky excuses German or Russian developers use.

Saint said:
Yup, maybe they should call this game Dungeon Siege 2 with Guns or something.

Jagged Siege? Just as an aside, FO:POS is listed as the official "angry fan title" for FO:BOS at Moby Games.

AZ

Liturgist
That simply sux. JA is TB tactical game whit real life like guns and environment, if theese elements are not there it is an other game. It seems to be the same case as the new Settlers game.. :roll:

obediah

Erudite
EEVIAC said:
RTWP has inherrent redundancy problems, that's why there's so much automation in RT games. Without the automation you get situations where characters are being attacked out of the players field of view and not responding as they should. If you set up a "customized pause" function to stop that happening, the player has to stop, assess the threat, make a command, then continue with the RT shitfight. This isn't an improvement over pure TB.

I'm not catching the redundancy issues. I do think that RTwP is being held back by the sorry state of game AI. I think a big challenge facing RTwP is maximizing player control and realism that it can w/o bogging down horribly. There are some nuts out there that once the execute a doorway assault in a good RTwP system, will never want to do it in TB again, and they won't care if it takes them 4 hours to get through 15 seconds of real time. To hit the more moderate crowards, and engine is going to keep the game going while still allowing the player control.

There's also the problem with synching actions with stats. If you have a perceptive character that's fast on his feet, without automation that character is still going to react only as fast as the player does, and the reaction might well be a bonehead tactical decision. That just doesn't happen in TB.

That's an AI and/or user interface challenge. The engine should be keeping track of everything that happens and allow the gamer to either set conditions to pause on, or maintain a threat level for every character and allow the pause to be triggered by a threshold. This would bring the characters perceptions and skilsl into play - your ranger character may detect and sift through all sorts of minutia only to autopause when detecting a particular trail or enemy - on the other hand your "The Jerk" character might dance around happily while being shot at, only to later trigger an autopause upon seeing a particularly striking thermos. This stuff is mostly hypothetical now, but if games continue the middleware trend we could see some faily complicated RTwP engines emerge.

Real-time has its place but its never going to usurp turn-based in both depth and thought, despite the dinky excuses German or Russian developers use.

You would think someone going by EEVIAC would be smarter than to say something is never going to happen when computers are involved. I think RTwP will definitely usurp turn-based in depth and thought. The question is will it do it in a way that is accessible enough for anyone other than Avalon Hill nerds to embrace it.

Balor

Arcane
How a character that is fast on his feet going to react faster? He'll move faster or notice things better, but nothing like that... but that's beside the point. (In E5, for instance, there is ‘reaction’ and ‘experience’ stats for that...)
You all just see TB as some sort of holy cow, never to be touched or altered. :roll:.
While, again, TB is a tool to allow manageable, yet tactical battles. No more, no less.
If a there is a system that is better in many respects (I've summed them up in E5 thread), and still allow tactical, complex battles (those are impossible in RT, and I agree with you there) - it’s BETTER then TB. Of course, if you, like VD, cherish unrealism of TB - ok, fine. There are a lot of people in the world who cherish their ability to kill stuff by jumping on their heads in Mario - it’s their choice.
Here: http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... &start=125 I’ve given links to the demo, and ‘English’ patch. Of course, it’s a prerelease demo, so there are a few bugs and such... and yet, it shows that such system can work, and work fine. Why I see no comments how much it sucks, at the very least? No one bothers to d/l and play it, cause ‘Yuck, it’s RTwP. I will not touch it!’? Or you just afraid that it indeed can be fun and you are wrong? On other boards, even the most die-hard JA2 fans love it. (And btw, I happen to be one of them). Why don’t you open their eyes to the truth?
Your standpoint reminds me of people that said “People will never fly - I’ve seen how that crazy guy donned a pair of wings made out of hen’s feathers and jumped from a cliff... crashed to death, stupid sod. Those guys that make this silly contraption of out plywood (it doesn’t even flap its wings!) will surely suffer the same fate.” Perhaps they will. Perhaps not. But never say never...
Smart pause system is different from TB. It’s better in many respects. Most likely, worse in some (at least, for some people). But it’s not inferior, or ‘casual-oriented’, that’s for sure.
Casual gamers that adore Diablo and only Diablo will not like E5 anyway, RT or not, pause or not. It’s way over their heads.
SPM is a way to improve, not to dumb down TB... no matter what you think.
In a thread about new Pope you all kinda agreed that being conservative sucks. And yet, behave exactly like that Pope - bashing at people who try to be creative and do something against the dogma, without even trying to see what it’s all about first. What a hypocrisy. :roll:

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Balor said:
You all just see TB as some sort of holy cow, never to be touched or altered. :roll:.

Whoa there Sparky, you sure found us out, didn't you? How could we ever escape from your excellent detective skills? I told them you were too quick for us! Well, you're right, we all masturbate to it in our basements, followed by going down the street in our nerdy RPGCodex van with a megaphone and shouting "RTwP is teh stinky!"

Well, nothing more for you to do here, so leave us to our shame of having been exposed by your great intellect and leave to other places to illuminate everyone with your RTwP holy wisdom! So long, and thanks for all the fish!!

I'd suggest learning to simultaneously read and understand people's posts, and stop making assumptions that can bite you in the ass.

Fresh

Erudite
obediah said:
You would think someone going by EEVIAC would be smarter than to say something is never going to happen when computers are involved. I think RTwP will definitely usurp turn-based in depth and thought. The question is will it do it in a way that is accessible enough for anyone other than Avalon Hill nerds to embrace it.

I second that.(LOL)

obediah & balor: Nice to hear some positive voices on RT for a change. (Im not taking sides here - I enjoy both RT and TB *gasp*.)

Balor

Arcane
Well, people here think that 'TB games don't sell', therefore, people make RT games. Well, TB has nothing to do with that, really. (Or, at least, much less the most think).
At has been already noted that TB is a system that fits complex combat systems with many options and great freedom of choice... you see? Casual gamers (that make games 'sell') usually boggled by 'complexity', therefore, saying TB makes games sell less is like saying that wind blows because trees sway.
So, at first, one should look how complex/realistic/detailed/just fun combat system is, then how good is it manage... and then it becomes unimportant whether it's TB, or RTwP.. or even pure RT, if developers of the game will somehow manage to push a complex, fun and easy to manage combat system into it.
Again, I'm sure that E5 will not outsell Sim(2), even with it being RT(wP)... cause it has very complex combat system and battles in general. Try demo, and see for yourself.
If Ja3D will feature similar system (and, perhaps, even better, if it's possible :)), I'll not mourn TB at the slightest. It may suck due to completely different reasons (and chances are high), but bury a game because it will be RTwP instead of TB long before you've actually seen how it will work out... :roll:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Balor said:
Well, people here think that 'TB games don't sell', therefore, people make RT games. Well, TB has nothing to do with that, really.
Now, what did Role-Player tell about making ass-biting assumptions?

if developers of the game will somehow manage to push a complex, fun and easy to manage combat system into it (RT).
I think that's just a matter of time before they do that. All they need to do is discover magic, and the rest is easy.

Again, I'm sure that E5 will not outsell Sim(2), even with it being RT(wP)... cause it has very complex combat system and battles in general. Try demo, and see for yourself.
I will give it a try in a few days

... bury a game because it will be RTwP instead of TB long before you've actually seen how it will work out... :roll:
Yes, because we've never seen RTwP in akshun before.

obediah

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Balor said:
if developers of the game will somehow manage to push a complex, fun and easy to manage combat system into it (RT).
I think that's just a matter of time before they do that. All they need to do is discover magic, and the rest is easy.

Well since complex and easy are opposite ends of a slider and fun is subjective - it is a hard sell. I'm a believer in the complexity, don't care about it being easy, and am hopeful but unsure about the fun. I guess I should check out E5 and see how they do.

Vault Dweller said:
Balor said:
... bury a game because it will be RTwP instead of TB long before you've actually seen how it will work out... :roll:
Yes, because we've never seen RTwP in akshun before.

That's a retarded, short-sighted barb. RTwP (especially as designed to target complexity vs fast mp) is still very new and has a lot of developing to do. Every new game offers the potential for big improvements - most won't offer shit, but E5 looks like a decent possibility. Even if it's not fun, it's seems likely to set some new standards. Comments like these lend the inherent bias they show in blurring rational thought add weight to the "holy TB" comment .

Not that it's all bad. I'm convinced that more passionate people are about something, the less rational they are, and the more likely they are to fudge things or skim over valid comments from the opposition. We're all passionate about RPGs and a little to a lot bit nervous about the unsteady future. A little part of me dies everytime I hear about a new game going RT or RTwP, but after years of moaning, I'm starting to see some promise in alternatives to TB on a pure mechanical level - I still freak out at the overall trends it suggests for RPGs.

EEVIAC

Erudite
obediah said:
I'm not catching the redundancy issues. I do think that RTwP is being held back by the sorry state of game AI.

No. Better AI leads to even more redundancy. Remember we're talking about a small-squad tactical game here. If the computer starts making creative tactical decisions for me, why am I bothering to play the game? Do I just point my squad in the direction of the enemies? Is that tactics?

I think a big challenge facing RTwP is maximizing player control and realism that it can w/o bogging down horribly. There are some nuts out there that once the execute a doorway assault in a good RTwP system, will never want to do it in TB again, and they won't care if it takes them 4 hours to get through 15 seconds of real time. To hit the more moderate crowards, and engine is going to keep the game going while still allowing the player control.

This demonstrates why RTWP is the worst of both worlds. You remove alot of the gameplay elements of turn based systems and the free flowing action that you get from a true reflex-determined real-time system, while retaining flaws from both. You get long sections of decision making with no action, and you get stretches of action that aren't under your controll.

There's nothing you can do in RTWP that you can't do in TB. On the other hand, there are aspects of TB that are completely foreign to RTWP. Initiative doesn't work in RTWP and it doesn't generate the same turn-by-turn tension either. The biggest difference in the three systems is in the presentation and that has nothing to do with tactics or depth.

That's an AI and/or user interface challenge. The engine should be keeping track of everything that happens and allow the gamer to either set conditions to pause on, or maintain a threat level for every character and allow the pause to be triggered by a threshold.

So what's the point in using RTWP at all? Using triggered pauses anytime something happens is precisely the redundancy I've been talking about, seeing that the whole point of a RTWP system is to avoid exactly these sorts of kludgy turn-basedisms.

You would think someone going by EEVIAC would be smarter than to say something is never going to happen when computers are involved.

You don't seem to realize that the computer is the problem. The better AI gets, the more it automates. I don't watch computer games, I play computer games. If it gets to the stage where my input is superfluous because the AI can do better, there's no point playing anymore.

I think RTwP will definitely usurp turn-based in depth and thought. The question is will it do it in a way that is accessible enough for anyone other than Avalon Hill nerds to embrace it.

It won't because the limiter is the player. Players take a long time to make tactical decisions so you can't have fast action with deep tactics simultaneously. Either you ponder a decision or you interact in real time, you're not doing both.

obediah

Erudite
EEVIAC said:
obediah said:
I'm not catching the redundancy issues. I do think that RTwP is being held back by the sorry state of game AI.

No. Better AI leads to even more redundancy. Remember we're talking about a small-squad tactical game here. If the computer starts making creative tactical decisions for me, why am I bothering to play the game? Do I just point my squad in the direction of the enemies? Is that tactics?

You say redundancy, I say options. It goes to personal preferences. Maybe you would like to carefully position eveyrone around a door and execute every second of the entry. Maybe someone else would like to assigne a sub-team to assault the door and see them use real world tactics to do so.

I think a big challenge facing RTwP is maximizing player control and realism that it can w/o bogging down horribly. There are some nuts out there that once the execute a doorway assault in a good RTwP system, will never want to do it in TB again, and they won't care if it takes them 4 hours to get through 15 seconds of real time. To hit the more moderate crowards, and engine is going to keep the game going while still allowing the player control.

This demonstrates why RTWP is the worst of both worlds.

Theorem:

This statement is criminally wrong.

Proof:

The worst part of RT is that you can't control one person well unless you have the real-world skills and a kick ass interface, and trying to control a team in real time and have any depth at all is hopeless. The worst part of TB is the crappy artifacts of discreetizing time that make tactics from TB combat useless in real life, and tactics in real life impossible to implement in TB.
RTwP solves both of these problems.

QED, bitch. (sorry, I learned geometry from Dave Chapelle)

You remove alot of the gameplay elements of turn based systems...

Like what? What can you do in turn based gameplay that you can't do with RTwP - other than exploit screwey time loops?

...and the free flowing action that you get from a true reflex-determined real-time system...

Good fucking riddance, if I was a ninja or 7 member assault team in real life, why would I play them in a video game?

... while retaining flaws from both.

Some of the flaws, sure. It is a compromise after all. When you take the good, you take the bad - at least that's what Mrs Garrett said.

You get long sections of decision making with no action, and you get stretches of action that aren't under your controll.

Sounds a lot like TB to me. "what to do? what to do? Move characters. Wait for oponent or AI. Repeat."

There's nothing you can do in RTWP that you can't do in TB.

Wow. How about model the flow of time in the real world? How about react to actions as the occur, rather than 15-60 seconds before or after they occur? How about tell two team members to keep an opponent pinned by alternating fire while a third member flanks? How about shooting the bastard charging me from 50 ft away with a spear? Even with overwatch and other patches, you still get stuff like to be able to react to a charge in the next turn, you need to not do something this turn. You can't even do a 100M dash in TB. Whoever gets initiative wins before anyone else moves.

On the other hand, there are aspects of TB that are completely foreign to RTWP.

These are the same aspects of TB that are foreign to continuous time and the real world. They are baggage that came along with TB, sacrifices to reality that gamers made to be able to apply some rules to combat. TB is a hack that has stayed around and gotten good enough for people to forget that it was a hack.

Initiative doesn't work in RTWP and it doesn't generate the same turn-by-turn tension either.

Well you might still have initiave, RT in games isn't really real time, the turns are just like .01 seconds instead of 20 seconds. So if two people go at the same segment their might be an initiative test, or maybe both actions are resolved and the results applied. RTwP generally replaces initiative with reflexes, speed, awareness, and assigning a time cost to actions. I'm willing to give up the tension of watching someone else go through the same 30 second window of time before I even get a crack at the first second of it.

The biggest difference in the three systems is in the presentation and that has nothing to do with tactics or depth.

I think the comments above show plenty of differences that go beyond presentation. RT and RTwP have the same presentation even, RT focuses on reactions, and RTwP allows you to stop and think, which for most people results in more sound and informed decision making.

That's an AI and/or user interface challenge. The engine should be keeping track of everything that happens and allow the gamer to either set conditions to pause on, or maintain a threat level for every character and allow the pause to be triggered by a threshold.

So what's the point in using RTWP at all? Using triggered pauses anytime something happens is precisely the redundancy I've been talking about, seeing that the whole point of a RTWP system is to avoid exactly these sorts of kludgy turn-basedisms.

When I think of the kludgyness of TB, I think of the stuff I mentioned above - not AI redundancy.

You would think someone going by EEVIAC would be smarter than to say something is never going to happen when computers are involved.

You don't seem to realize that the computer is the problem. The better AI gets, the more it automates. I don't watch computer games, I play computer games. If it gets to the stage where my input is superfluous because the AI can do better, there's no point playing anymore.

This is a valid concern, and a definite challenge to how fun these games will be. But it needn't be a genre killer.A computer can play chess better than I can, but if I play a game with my wife, I have a computer play for me. There's also a big step between having the computer say "some say someone is shooting at me, I'd better pause" and having the computer say "someone is shooting at me, and the meatbag is drinking at the keyboard, so I'm executing defense plan zeta-434". A general hint, anything you can do, someone else can do better.

I think RTwP will definitely usurp turn-based in depth and thought. The question is will it do it in a way that is accessible enough for anyone other than Avalon Hill nerds to embrace it.

It won't because the limiter is the player. Players take a long time to make tactical decisions so you can't have fast action with deep tactics simultaneously. Either you ponder a decision or you interact in real time, you're not doing both.

The question isn't either/or - it's where to draw the line. Everyone has a different preference, so it's choosing a market and optimizing for it. Twitch RT w/o depth has a big market, and excrutiating painful planning has a small but bitter market, and their are hills and valleys imbetween. I think a problem facing RT is that to get comparable depth, you have to give up more pacing than with TB. I doubt this challenge is impossible, but it's not trivial.

Fresh

Erudite
What would you call the system where you and your opponent get a while to figure out what to do (choose a few actions) over the next few seconds and then these decisions are carried out "simultaneously"? Would that be RTwP? This would be how certain pnp RPGs work or to some degree Diplomacy. (Ie you wouldnt have big windows of time in which to do pretty much whatever you want in like turnbased.)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
obediah said:
The worst part of RT is that you can't control one person well unless you have the real-world skills and a kick ass interface, and trying to control a team in real time and have any depth at all is hopeless. The worst part of TB is the crappy artifacts of discreetizing time that make tactics from TB combat useless in real life, and tactics in real life impossible to implement in TB.
RTwP solves both of these problems

First off, the "tactics in real life not possible" jazz isn't true. In real time, there isn't a sequence like you have in turn based so everyone usuaully ends up shooting everyone else at the same time. Short of a bad western, that never really happens. Usually you have two or more people behind cover shooting and covering, which is pretty much what happens with that whole turn based "exploit".

Besides, JA games have always had interrupting, which still allows better use of cover, but also allows you to take a chance on getting damage every time you do this.

Secondly, the autopause system is going to end up pausing the game much more often than turn based ever would while making the fun part of combat, actually shooting and keeping score, automated. What would you pause on? Spot a new enemy? Take damage from new enemy? Health is medium and/or low?

In turn based, you get consistant breaks in the time. After all actions are finished for that turn, it switches to the next guy. With real time with pause, you get breaks whenever. The only thing you really don't have to pause for is to keep attacking a target. However, if you're in a situation where there is lots of cover, and the AI is using the cover, some enemy dillhole will most likely trigger your autopause every time he ducks down and pops back up in to view for the "New Enemy Spotted" thing.

If it doesn't work that way, you run the risk of losing track of a bad guy using cover and moving somewhere else without a pause to indicate he's moved and is now visible again.

Sure, some of these pause breaks can overlap with several things triggering a pause at the same time. However, that just encourages you to keep your guys clumped up if you don't want gobs of pauses. In a clump, they'll all see the same new bad guy at the same time, most likely. But if you divide them up, as you probably should in a squad game like JA, you're going to get nailed with lots of pauses because you're going to encounter more new enemies in addition to the same enemies another character spotted at different angles.

That's just with one of those pretty much mandatory autopause things. When you start taking damage from new enemies, you get even more pauses. In turn based, you'd get one uniform pause regardless of how many enemies shot you last round. With real time with pause, unless multiple enemy shot hits you at once, you get one pause for every first time they shoot you making the start of combat very, very annoying.

That's not even counting reseting the first shot pause if your character loses site of them because they hide for a bit or move.

Unless they make it like the BG/IWD games where everything is pretty much out in the open from the time combat starts until it's concluded, you're going to have autopausing going off like crazy - and given the nature of the previous JA games, you'd pretty much have to have it like that if you want a decent autopause to react to things.

Stark

Liturgist
obediah said:
Theorem:
[snip]
Proof:

QED, bitch. (sorry, I learned geometry from Dave Chapelle)
theorem proofing is alot more precise than that. trying to pass off forum argument this way makes you appear at once arrogant and silly.

Wow. How about model the flow of time in the real world? How about react to actions as the occur, rather than 15-60 seconds before or after they occur? How about tell two team members to keep an opponent pinned by alternating fire while a third member flanks? How about shooting the bastard charging me from 50 ft away with a spear? Even with overwatch and other patches, you still get stuff like to be able to react to a charge in the next turn, you need to not do something this turn. You can't even do a 100M dash in TB. Whoever gets initiative wins before anyone else moves.

Well, yes, TB can do all the above. heard of interrupts?

Stark

Liturgist
!HyPeRbOy! said:
What would you call the system where you and your opponent get a while to figure out what to do (choose a few actions) over the next few seconds and then these decisions are carried out "simultaneously"? Would that be RTwP? This would be how certain pnp RPGs work or to some degree Diplomacy. (Ie you wouldnt have big windows of time in which to do pretty much whatever you want in like turnbased.)

it sounds like RTwP to me. what advantage would such a system have over TB?

Fresh

Erudite
Stark said:
!HyPeRbOy! said:

it sounds like RTwP to me. what advantage would such a system have over TB?

First of all - Im not saying either system is better. All systems can be fun if done right.

That said a system like the one above would (perhaps) avoid the part of TB where you can do a ton of stuff during your round without the opponent doing anything (exception = interrupt) - which might be a good thing or not. More "realistical" gameplay doesnt mean more fun gameplay of course.

I got some questions:
- If TB is comparable to chess, then what is RTwP comparable to?
- Why is the amount of "time" (to perform ones actions) available in the players turns in TB often roughly the same? Or are they? Would it be no fun if the turns were a) shorter b) longer than for example in JA2?
- If you want a game with simulated tactical squad-based combat - is then (some version of) TB the ultimate system for doing this? Do we already have the best system that ever can be? That is with "fun-factor" as the criteria.

Stark

Liturgist
!HyPeRbOy said:
First of all - Im not saying either system is better. All systems can be fun if done right.
but it begs the question: if it has no advantage over TB (or any other system for that matter), why consider it at all? i'm posing this assuming you felt that there's something in such a system worth considering.

More "realistical" gameplay doesnt mean more fun gameplay of course.
i totally agree. i'm sick of people arguing for RTwP on basis that it's more "realistic".

- Why is the amount of "time" (to perform ones actions) available in the players turns in TB often roughly the same? Or are they? Would it be no fun if the turns were a) shorter b) longer than for example in JA2?

not sure what you mean by that. do you mean the number of action points a character is allocated to in any one turn? it certainly varies from one to another.

- If you want a game with simulated tactical squad-based combat - is then (some version of) TB the ultimate system for doing this? Do we already have the best system that ever can be? That is with "fun-factor" as the criteria.

no one can ever make sweeping claims that TB is the ultimate system. However, TB is the best we have so far (as oppose to all existing RTwP and it's variant of "smart pause"), and what's fustrating is no major developers are making TB games anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom