Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Japanese personal computer aesthetic is best aesthetic

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
1369837400560268.png

index.php

DbhVP-dXkAAGZ6-.jpg

argo_2.png

argo_14.png

ff7 image

Searched for the pic to get context. Rated interesting

In September 1997, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe was preparing to launch Final Fantasy VII in Europe. The following photos were in the European Computer Trade Show kit, an event for the press only. They show a little of Square's facilities during development, illustrations from the conceptual and outreach phase - probably from 1996.

In the first, there are the artist Tetsuya Nomura and Hashimoto, seated, in front of several types of monitor. In the second, designer Takanari Tajima edits a wireframe on his PC; on the table, an initial concept of the character Vincent Valentine, suggesting that perhaps it was what he worked on the screen. In the third, an employee works at one of the hundreds of SGI Indigo² Impact stations that Square acquired for the project (at a cost of US $ 70,000 each), with another simpler PC next to it. Hanging in his cubicle, a Kyorochan mascot.

ff7-nomura-hashimoto-square-circa-1997.jpg

ff7-takanari-tajima-square-circa-1997.jpg

ff7-indigo-impact-corp-3.jpg

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Is this the same game as the others? Because it doesn't look like the same game as the others.
Three different games: Dwelling, Alantia, and Argo.
Good God, Dwelling is obscure, its basically not listed on any major sites, no wonder I had no idea what it was. Looks nice, shame I don't understand the Nip yet. I like the aesthetic the true Japanese adventure games had.
Here's a nice little blog where you can find small reviews of a crapton of visual novels from that time. Yes, Dwelling is included as well.

XZR games deserve attention for the setting alone. Where else do you smoke marijuana to increase your defence, get to see Pythagoras enjoying himself among dancing naked chicks, kill Russian General Secretary and American President, and try to achieve enlightenment with a monk, whose character s based on a sex cult leader whose teachings resulted in mass orgies that were outlawed by Japanese authorities?

I dunno what these Telenet guys were smoking, but I want some of that stuff.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Came across this today:

EYRPAaz.jpg

Apparently it was programmed by Compile (one of my favorite developers) for Telenet's The LINKS service. The LINKS was some kind of proprietary Japanese network (seems to be an early internet competitor)

The LINKS was a dial-up service that started in March 1986 and was discontinued in October 1994. It was exclusive to Japan and an initiative of Telenet Japan with investments from Matsushita Electric Industrial Co (currently Panasonic) and Murata Manufacturing Co.

Two models of modems were released. Both have a speed of 1200 bps and are based on the RS-232C protocol, but don't support the RS-232C BASIC instructions.

Was this the first networked fighting game?

Last edited:

shywn

Savant
I... somehow managed to visit the game's vndb page literally yesterday and didn't make the connection. The art style in that image and the vndb screenshots seems quite different. That must be the reason.

j5p0tM3.png

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Very sexy game (love long legged anime girls!). According to HG101, very jank (although you can't always trust HG101 on these things, and also I feel it's wrong to judge early PC games with the same mind set you'd judge e.g. 90s arcade ports), but apparently by the same guys who did Neural Gear (great X68k game) i.e. Fill in Cafe. Also by Fill in Cafe are Mad Stalker (X68k) and Asuka 120% Burning Fest (I don't get why this one seems to be such a cult classic tbh).

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Very sexy game (love long legged anime girls!). According to HG101, very jank (although you can't always trust HG101 on these things, and also I feel it's wrong to judge early PC games with the same mind set you'd judge e.g. 90s arcade ports), but apparently by the same guys who did Neural Gear (great X68k game) i.e. Fill in Cafe. Also by Fill in Cafe are Mad Stalker (X68k) and Asuka 120% Burning Fest (I don't get why this one seems to be such a cult classic tbh).
I'm yet to play Alantia, but it's goddamn gorgeous. Mad Stalker... funny thing is, I never played it (despite planning to), but used the executable on floppies to load the ZMUSIC driver along with PCM8 into memory and listen to various things from g0org (these guys along with Kamishimo Records did some nice stuff with the sound on X68000 even if the music itself was mostly techno/gabber/other kinds of electronic stuff). IIRC I had to do this because I couldn't find a working version of PCM8...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
FM-Towns allowed in the party? Btw, I enjoyed knowing the Phantasie series and Rogue Alliance were ported to these machines. And a shout out to Ultima 6 being here as well. The project that resulted later combining the best aspects of U6 was appreciated. Let me not forget the Ultima Trilogy on FM-TOWNS. Interesting content and I enjoyed U1 with large sized town gfx.

shywn

Savant
Anyone know where to find midi's for these games? I wanna listen to how it sounds like on a mt-32 or roland sound canvas.

What sort of hardware do you have, and do you do recordings?

deama

Prophet
Anyone know where to find midi's for these games? I wanna listen to how it sounds like on a mt-32 or roland sound canvas.

What sort of hardware do you have, and do you do recordings?
I use the midiplayer and use the munt extension for it, which allows you to play midi files using the mt-32. As far as I can tell, the munt emulator seems to be pretty accurate, if not the same.

So far I don't have that many, but super metroid's brinstar sounds pretty good, michael jacksons's beat it ain't too bad, the mission impossible intro soundtrack sounds good, rockwell sombody's watching me sounds good and is further emphasized by this ghostly sounding instrument. tears for fears' shout sounds good, and system shock's intro sounds very interesting. I can quickly link you the midi's if you want.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ca6M_MCmEOqNAqDbsu_oSC9EGMoLGFZ2/view?usp=sharing

I wish we went with midi's as the standard for normal music and just made a standardized emulation of a good system or something, that way it would pretty much future proof sound quality as midi's with a good emulator sound fantastic cause the quality isn't dependent on bit rate or anything like that, simply your hardware, which will improve overtime.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
The closest thing I can think of is this site. Its not Midi though, its some bizarre file format called VGZ that I couldn't figure out how to convert to midi on my machine. The problem with old games of this era (in the western world even) is that they didn't have a unified format, and there's little point in being the game to crack that small puzzle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom