Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Knight Academy in VR mod

Riel

Arcane
So I just stumbled into a mod with which you can play both games in your quest, pico 4 or even SteamVR, which basically means almost any headset is compatible.

And it's not just something like VorpX, it's a whole new interface and weapon control with VR. You aim with your hands, you throw thermal detonator with you arm and you fight with you ligtsaber by moving the controller.

I have yet yo use a lightsaber because I just started today with Jedi Knight 2 so no jedi powers for the moment but if it works as smoothly as everything else it's going to be excellent, because YEAH!, everything else is fantastic so far.

Link: https://sidequestvr.com/app/15472

Riel

Arcane
So after playing with this a bit more I can say it works for the most part very well. These are my thought on it:

1. Sometimes when trying to activate a lever/button etc it will be complicated to get the engine to recognise the action and you have to do multiple tries
  2. Sniping has been nerfed very seriously due to you actually having to "hold" your rifle with both your hands which causes a natural sway of the cross hair that makes head shooting someone at long range very difficult.
  3. Light sabre general fighting is a lot easier, you are no longer constrained by the different moves available in the original game, you can naturally just move you sabre to attack someone anywhere in the about to 2m range, someone slipped behind, no problem just stab backwards.
  4. Light sabre duelling is deadly and faster, no longer will you miss an opening in the enemy's defence, the moment it appears you will be able to execute a perfect attack, of course you can die just as fast but the AI doesn't enjoy your improved precision so it's a non issue if you are not reckless.
  5. When it comes to fine jumping in small surfaces it's a lot harder to do it without falling, but well you get it done eventually.
  6. Regarding force powers: pull and push are integrated into left hand gestures in a natural way but other powers need to be selected in a menu due to the decreased amount of buttons compared to a keyboard which makes it cumbersome

So all in all:
Would I recommend it? Of course, it's a great port to VR, you can see the environments like never before and they are really great despite the game's age and the games themselves were always great shooter with story.

Last edited:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
The only VR FPS that doesn't make me sick is Half Life Alyx. Valve must have figured something out there. Otherwise, I want to vomit after 5 minutes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom