Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Infinitron, Aug 28, 2014.

1. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons
    That was certainly a problem as well, but I'm not sure it was the dominant one; I think the story in Act 1 is totally fine (shitty intro aside) and it's only once you get to Defiance Bay that it starts to nosedive, but Steam cheevos show that a large group of players never even reached Maerwald.

• That's an Elephant That's an Elephant x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    What's the %? Because if it's something like 50%, that's totally par for the course. Most Steam buyers don't finish the games they buy. Many of them don't even get past the first act. Some of them don't even start. We have to compare any dropoff figures to the genre/industry norm before saying what it means. Somebody was saying how Larian games weren't being finished, I seem to remember, and again it was just that 15% completion rate or whatever it is is actually pretty normal.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Butter Arcane

Butter
    It wouldn't surprise me if 1/3 gave up before Gilded Vale. It really is the worst intro of any CRPG since at least FO2.

46.8% finished Act 1 (reaching Defiance Bay).
    25.8% finished Act 2 (reaching Twin Elms).
    15.6% finished Act 3 (reaching Sun in Shadow).
    13.4% finished the game.

That looks like normal dropoff.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. santino27 Arcane Patron

santino27
    d20 would have been better, yes, if only because it might have allowed them to focus more on other systems/mechanics in the game. The game narrative would still have sucked though.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons

At least it would have meant that they had time enough to do a proper revision of all in-game text. The fact that they basically published their first-draft certainly can't have helped the narrative.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    I do not believe such things matter in Darklands.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    I'd like Obsidan makes Darklands with beautiful graphics as in Icewind dale and RTWP. Kinda hoping this is Sawyer's Elysium.

• Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Excited! x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. santino27 Arcane Patron

santino27
    Fair point, but something something lipstick on a pig. :P (Honestly, since different people are tasked with mechanics vs. writing, I wouldn't have expected a huge improvement on the writing front... but I could be wrong.)

Still, I imagine if they'd used d20 to start wtih, they'd have had more time to iterate on systems like the stronghold and factions and what-not, and we'd have ended up with something closer to the 1.3 version of POE right out of the gate, with maybe some mild improvements to the text. I think POE was a lot better at 1.3 than it was at launch (narrative notwithstanding), so while it would have maybe sold the same (since it did really well, from a sales perspective), it might have also left a better impression on the people who bought it.

• cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    look at every game josh developed where he was constrained by a rules system, they are all good. He says he does not like D&D, and that may or may not be true, but he made good D&D games because D&D rules and lore and especially magic items make for good and interesting computer games. The worlds were well fleshed out, the items were interesting, and the mechanics were what they were.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    deadfire has some of the best itemization(read: interesting items) of any game I've played though

• Agree x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    I have heard that, but sorry, I gave up on the system before that. The muscle wizards.....its too convoluted. I just don't like it, its not fun to me. I don't like magic system, don't like the classes or races, don't like how the stats work or interact, don't like that its largely percentile based. Its probably not fair and perhaps I gave up on the whole thing too early, but I did. I was actually super excited when it first came out and even when I first played it for a like 4 or 5 hours but then realized I did not like the system at all.

edit:

PoE II looks absolutely beautiful from an aesthetic standpoint and I have almost bought the game a couple of times just on the point alone. Josh makes really nice looking games.

• (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. purupuru Learned

purupuru
    They may not understand a game's system but they sure like to pretend they do, and they enjoy making decisions based on their limited/flawed/completely wrong understanding of the system. And sometimes they do the right thing for the wrong reason and get rewarded, and it's actually good fun for them. The problem with pillars is that all those percentile calculations make it painfully obvious to a normie that he does not understand the system at all, and it is hard to construct a simplified (brute-force) interpretation to feign understanding, partly because the game is rather balanced and there is often no obvious dump stat. At the end of the day the game is not that difficult and min-maxing is not that rewarding, but a normie would still feel like an idiot despite winning the fights.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Codex user:
    Normie:

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  14. Sweeper Arcane Zionist Agent

Sweeper
    It's balanced to the point of blandness, which is fitting I suppose cause everything else in PoE is.
    But this is what kills PoE. A good RPG needs to have complex systems, ones that once you gain a grasp of them, reward you through your min-maxing by, eventually, allowing you to have a powerful character.
    Otherwise how you choose to build your character doesn't really matter. Maybe they won't be optimal, but who gives a shit cause they can't be powerful.
    The man has a very autistic understanding of design, and not in a good way.
    :littlemissfun:

• Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. The Wall Magister

The Wall
    Sawyer is born bureucrat. Give him task, schedule and pre-set rules to follow and goals to achieve. Everything else would be expecting from hamster to design wheel, when he knows only how to spin it. Instead of revaluing D&D system he should have revalued himself

• Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Orma Arcane Patron

Orma
    Torment: Tides of Numenera

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Orma Arcane Patron

Orma
    ALSO, LIVE RN

^ Top  
  19. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    Why is he belittling himself about making a game which will enjoy small amount of people? He has to develop this conquistador-mentality to overdeliver game of the decade. This no-chad mentality may be the cause why deadfire failed, underperformed.

• M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Sailor Woedica Cipher The Real Fangirl

Sailor Woedica
    I’m really surprised they don’t make him use mixer but it's so everything that he's streaming on twitch now!

• what? what? x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. toro Arcane

toro
    His streams are so shit they don't want him on mixer.

• Okily Dokily! Okily Dokily! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    Sad how he keeps getting this stronger and stronger vibe similar to crazy cat ladies, only without the cats.

• Kitty x 2
    • Balanced x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Orma Arcane Patron

Orma

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2020
    • Despair Despair x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Orma Arcane Patron

Orma
    Uh, think again

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2020
    • Funny x 7
    • Kitty x 6
    • coof x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    New Vegas was the peak of his career in terms of everything. Nothing but down from there.

• Despair x 8
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • decline x 2
    • Balanced x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.