Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Journey to the Centre of Arcanum - CYOA

ironyuri

Hmm, have you decided what technological level you're going for?
I mean with regards to guns anyway. Turn of the century stuff like this?

snip

Or are you still gonna go stereotypical revolvers and muzzle loading type stuff?
Alot can happen in a few years technologically.

As regards the development of technology, I'm not quite sure yet. Arcanum had flintlocks, revolvers, muzzle loading rifles, breech loading rifles, repeater rifles, elephant guns, shutguns and so on. Presumably technology has advanced, but at the moment I'd learn towards automatic and semi-automatic being the cutting edge, still in early development, so the Borchardt c 93 appeals to me, while the Mauser is perhaps too advanced. While I'd say the Luger Parabellum would be the prototype-phase of current technology in the world. I decided to set this in an Arcanum in which Arronax did not raise Vendigroth from the wastes, particularly because of the problems that would pose for level and development of technology (submarines and steampunk). Thanks for bringing it up though, I hadn't thought that far ahead. I think therefore, something along these lines would be available through high end dealers.

Edit: I removed some images so as not to clutter. I'lll try to put some thought into what kind of weaponry developments or advances there have been in the next day or two, and judge whether WWI style semi-automatics would be worthwhile. It's a power increase, but, then, firearms won't necessarily be the be all and end all of the adventure.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I vote against D because hey, a guy's gotta eat right? And Half-Ogres eat a fucking helluva lot I would think.
This, being a place where there might not be a lot of food around for a while, I say an extra mouth to feed might be a boon early on, but in tough times it will certainly be a hindrance.

Go for the Borchardt C-93 man! Handcannon for the win!

Erebus

Arcane
Wouldn't this Brockenlid happen to have an annoyingly useless nephew that will join the expedition and be nothing but a burden ? :D

I like our character so far ! And, judging from his personality, I'd say D is the obvious choice. We need a strong and stupidly loyal servant (a bit like Hans in Verne's book, really). Just make sure the half-ogre's not too big or he might get stuck in a narrow tunnel.

oscar

Arcane
D and E, though I imagine that would leave us pretty broke.

ironyuri

Tarant is not a massive city, and you'll have most of the day to accomplish other things barring unfortunate incident. I could've opened up two options in the vote, possibly, but I'll stick with one for now. I don't like arbitrary mutual exclusion in some LPs, especially when it seems like you might kill two birds with one stone (visit your father, use money to acquire new pistol or manservant), but this way it will be easier to write in consequences to specific choices.

Also, Brockenlid was originally going to be a Gnome himself, but I've made him a human because the PC is a gnome.

oscar

Arcane
Then I guess we ought to secure our finances first, if we do have time for other actions. But to go to our father or collect our owed money?

ironyuri

Font too large, didn't read. Choose black necromancy for next levelup. :troll:

I decreased font size two points. Originally I made it large because I thought people would prefer a larger font for reading the 2,200~ words of text, as a courtesy. Turns out you're all faggots.

:excellent:

Esquilax

Arcane
ironyuri, you are a true bro for doing this. If I might make a suggestion: Put an empty space between paragraphs, at the moment it's a bit too condensed. If the text were spread out just a bit more, it would look a little cleaner.

Anywho, regarding the choice. At this point, if I were an arrogant, detestable fuck like Elias, the first thing I'd do is gloat in front of my friends and pick up some money from them before doing anything else. I'm here to sabotage the expedition, not help it, so why prepare?

Well done on the character by the way. Reminds me of Alan B'Stard, but without the good looks and charm. If we hire out a half-ogre man-servant, we'd have our very own Piers Fletcher-Dervish as well.

A, D

ironyuri

ironyuri, you are a true bro for doing this. If I might make a suggestion: Put an empty space between paragraphs, at the moment it's a bit too condensed. If the text were spread out just a bit more, it would look a little cleaner.

Anywho, regarding the choice. At this point, if I were an arrogant, detestable fuck like Elias, the first thing I'd do is gloat in front of my friends and pick up some money from them before doing anything else. I'm here to sabotage the expedition, not help it, so why prepare?

Well done on the character by the way. Reminds me of Alan B'Stard, but without the good looks and charm. If we hire out a half-ogre man-servant, we'd have our very own Piers Fletcher-Dervish as well.

A

I've spaced out the original paragraphs a little more, thanks for the advice bro. When I had it in word pad, I had originally indented the beginning of each paragraph (as in academic style), but when copying/pasting into Codex it doesn't seem to preserve some of the stylistics.

Tigranes

Arcane
Well if we have time to do more than one thing, A is worthwhile, both for the $ and the narrative lulz.

ironyuri

I have edited the update to reflect that it is possible to choose TWO options, with the Tarant metropolitan transit system (the underground railway) transit to and from some areas is relatively easy, so it makes sense that we'd be able to fit in at least two visits before evening. The two options with the most votes respectively will win, with the number of votes deciding in which order they are accomplished.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I feel like a quality firearm would prove more useful in the end than a half-ogre servant. Say for example we are being chased by some hideous abomination from the depth and need someone to volunteer as a distraction - half-ogres may have pitifully small craniums but they have enough primal instinct not to sacrifice themselves willingly, whereas a firearm could be quite useful in persuading one of our fellow adventurers (by which I mean shooting them in the knee).

Also quite a bit of attention was given to that second-lieutenant fellow, which makes me think he'll be joining us on the expedition. So there's someone we can boss around free of charge.

I choose A and E.

ironyuri

Current tally: A: 7; B: 1; C: 0; D: 6; E: 5

I'll leave voting open til tomorrow morning, or if I end up getting busy with work, until Wednesday morning. Either should give everyone time to finalise decisions.

Edit: Added Gondolin, Major_Blackhart and Hoaxmetal to the tally.

Edit2: oscar grotsnik JagreenLern Erebus Esquilax I opened the voting up so that you may make two choices in the vote (due to the ease of getting around Tarant with mass transit in game), so you are all able to add another choice to your votes.

Tigranes

Arcane
Flip from A to D and E, actually. Sounds like an excellent survivability / increased options combo, though A would be nice.

Esquilax

Arcane
It does, but... how are we supposed to pay for all that shit? We are going to need some money. I'm in favour of having one option to help us in terms of resources/funds (A, B or C) and one option to help us with firepower/muscle (D or E). So we've got to either gloat to our friends or hit up the old man for some extra cash before we get backup to help us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom