Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Joystiq gives Atari's Daggerdale 1.5 stars

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/25/dunge ... le-review/

It's not just a bad game, it's a terrible use of Wizards of the Coast's timeless license. Even when boiled down to its core combat mechanics, D&D is cerebral, challenging, intense, and infinitely rewarding. Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale is just a game about hitting monsters until treasure falls out of them.

:M :M

What was the point Atari?

Einhander

Novice
Its sad that this is were the d&d license has ended up..Some of my favorite gaming moments were the ssi and bioware games :(

Now we get dribble like this. D&D is only alive with the likes of kotc.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Kaanyrvhok said:

You ask this as if Atari hasn't been producing garbage the last couple of years?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
You guys should read the article. The main reason he hates the game is because of the bugs. Not because of the mechanics or design at all. He barely even qualifies the statement that the game is "just about hitting monsters." He says one thing about the encounters feeling like "wars of attrition" but that's about it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Mangoose said:
You guys should read the article. The main reason he hates the game is because of the bugs. Not because of the mechanics or design at all. He barely even qualifies the statement that the game is "just about hitting monsters." He says one thing about the encounters feeling like "wars of attrition" but that's about it.

Er... maybe you should read the article because he criticizes pretty much everything from the lack of content/length, to the poorly conceived combat (ability recharges), laughable final boss battle, and yes, the bugs... but apparently those are quite severe... at least I consider them game breaking when you have monsters disappearing and freeze outs in co-op (which is the selling point of the game). I'm not sure why you feel a description like 'war of attrition' needs elaborating in the context of an ARPG -- it's fairly clear to me that it means hacking away at the enemies becomes more of a chore/matter of survival than it is creatively using abilities or class synergies or whatever.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Metro said:
Kaanyrvhok said:

You ask this as if Atari hasn't been producing garbage the last couple of years?

Ghost Busters was pretty good. :P

I know what you mean though. Its the D&D and Forgotten Realms stuff. Its not like that shit has sold. So again what is the point? All its doing is killing the brand. http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=653476
The thread starts out optimistic then... Kills it.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
why give the license to a competent RPG developer when we can get 15 dollar quality titles like this?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Metro said:
Mangoose said:

Er... maybe you should read the article because he criticizes pretty much everything from the lack of content/length, to the poorly conceived combat (ability recharges), laughable final boss battle, and yes, the bugs... but apparently those are quite severe... at least I consider them game breaking when you have monsters disappearing and freeze outs in co-op (which is the selling point of the game). I'm not sure why you feel a description like 'war of attrition' needs elaborating in the context of an ARPG -- it's fairly clear to me that it means hacking away at the enemies becomes more of a chore/matter of
survival than it is creatively using abilities or class synergies or whatever.
I only had a problem with 'war of attrition' because from skimming earlier it looked like the only phrase of criticism he had. Didn't notice his comment on the recharging abilities. But on the other hand all he said about the game length was that it's "a tad slim." :lol:

And the final boss battle should've been described in the body of the article - you know, where I go to look for specific examples. Not in the final paragraph where I would expect final, general thoughts (well, actually, I never read conclusions because I don't trust any conclusions a game "journalist" would make).

/nitpick

I see your point about the bugs though. Forgot this was a co-op game.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
From the start, this one struck me as Atari's me-too attempt to cut into the Deathspank and Torchlight market share that's cropped up on Xbox LIVE lately. I'm sure it's a reasonable and decent game, but it's also wholly unnecessary, a total waste of the D&D license in every respect, and lacks any real hook that would make me want to play it over any other title. The "pay for your next 10 levels in the expansion!" bullshit is also greasy as hell. I think this is sure proof that Atari have no fucking clue what they are doing, no respect for their customers, and should probably drown themselves in their own bile before they lead to the ruin of all the developers and licenses under them.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Mangoose said:
I only had a problem with 'war of attrition' because from skimming earlier it looked like the only phrase of criticism he had. Didn't notice his comment on the recharging abilities. But on the other hand all he said about the game length was that it's "a tad slim." :lol:

And the final boss battle should've been described in the body of the article - you know, where I go to look for specific examples. Not in the final paragraph where I would expect final, general thoughts (well, actually, I never read conclusions because I don't trust any conclusions a game "journalist" would make).

/nitpick

I see your point about the bugs though. Forgot this was a co-op game.

It was a brief review but at the same time there probably isn't a lot to cover for a six hours ARPG. I guess he didn't want to spoil the final boss battle but, yeah, he could have been a bit more specific. I, too, am pretty skeptical of all game 'reviewers' although when they're negative it usually sends a warning flag up because so few games actually get criticized these days.

Kaanyrvhok said:
Ghost Busters was pretty good. :P

The CGI one with all the original actors doing the voice work? Yeah. However, I think this is more analogous to Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime. The turd of an action game they put out a few months ago. It, too, didn't have much marketing (like Daggerdale) and was probably just an attempt to cash in on the brand before people realized how terrible it is.

Speaking of cashing in and ARPGs, Hothead announced another Deathspank -- this time it won't even have Ron Gilbert to make it remotely redeeming.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Metro said:
The CGI one with all the original actors doing the voice work? Yeah. However, I think this is more analogous to Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime. The turd of an action game they put out a few months ago. It, too, didn't have much marketing (like Daggerdale) and was probably just an attempt to cash in on the brand before people realized how terrible it is.

It seems like isometric multiplayer is the new skimp. Oh shit whats new? Those games have always been weak since the Capcom arcade beatemups.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
From Steam gameplay stats:

454 534 Torchlight
441 2,027 Football Manager 2009
438 1,088 Alien Swarm
436 592 Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
423 554 Rome: Total War - Gold Edition
421 563 Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword
403 745 America's Army 3
397 931 Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising
397 577 Company of Heroes
392 428 Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition
389 1,038 HOMEFRONT
368 641 The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom - Deluxe Gold Edition
355 427 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
344 498 Medieval II: Total War
336 427 The Sims 3
331 631 ARMA II - Operation Arrowhead
326 618 Crysis 2
326 470 Battlefield 2
319 495 Europa Universalis III: Complete
309 488 Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers
307 600 Sniper: Ghost Warrior
295 482 Half-Life 2: Episode Two
295 472 Dragon Age: Origins
289 498 Titan Quest: Immortal Throne
287 404 Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
286 370 DC Universe Online
284 1,102 Counter-Strike: Source Beta
269 497 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
268 413 Darkspore
265 496 Zombie Panic! Source
262 471 Far Cry
253 421 Half-Life
253 384 SimCity 4 Deluxe

First number is current players, second is peak for the day.

Self-Ejected

BeholderX

Self-Ejected
"392 428 Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition "

Definite proof that NWN2 is a better game than FO3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom