Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

JRPGs.

Inziladun

Magister
I'm in the mood for a jRPG.

Yes, I know they're gay, emo, homoerotic, and something only fags would enjoy.

But what are your guys favorites? Just tried out one of the Fire Emblem games and it seems pretty decent.

Dicksmoker said:
If you're looking for an older game, you can't beat Xenogears.

Indeed, you will quit at the beginning of the second disk, when you realize that for past half an hour you did absolutely nothing but press X over and over to read the dialogue you don't give a fuck about and end is nowhere in sight.

ALTERNATE VERSION OF THE POST, DISCARDED AFTER RECEND GD DEVELOPMENTS:

Indeed, since all the cutscenes are anime

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Vagrant Story, but have in mind that it's nothing like most jrpgs.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I like the games I've played so far from the Shin Megami Tensei series. They all have pretty addictive gameplay and great turn-based combat systems.

The ones I've played are:

Digital Devil Saga (although the insane rate of random encounters in this one almost made me give it up on several occassions)

Persona 3 FES

Persona 4

If you're looking for something more in the strategy RPG area, I played La Pucelle and enjoyed it quite a bit.

pipka

Savant
Inziladun said:
I'm in the mood for a jRPG.

Yes, I know they're gay, emo, homoerotic, and something only fags would enjoy.

But what are your guys favorites? Just tried out one of the Fire Emblem games and it seems pretty decent.

Sengoku fucking Rance
everyone else is gay in this thread, and weeboo too

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Emotional Vampire said:
Dicksmoker said:

Indeed, you will quit at the beginning of the second disk, when you realize that for past half an hour you did absolutely nothing but press X over and over to read the dialogue you don't give a fuck about and end is nowhere in sight.
If you don't give a fuck about it then you shouldn't be playing the game in the first place.

Xenogears is a narrativist game. You can't get away from that. So you can either accept it and experience the best story that has ever occured in a video game or be retarded and just talk about the gameplay. If you were just focusing on gameplay I'm surprised you even got that far. It's nothing to write home about.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I am happy to see people recommending Vagrant Story. Steep learning curve, but ultimately satisfying.

edit: also, it's one of the few jRPGs that has really stood the test of time, imo..

spekkio

Arcane
PS1:

jRpgs:
Vagrant Story
Grandia 1
Suikoden 1-2

jStrategies:
Final Fantasy Tactics
Front Mission 3
Tactics Ogre
Vandal Hearts 1-2

PS2:
jRpgs:
Shadow Hearts 2
Shin Megami Tensei 3 - Nocturne
SMT Digital Devil Saga 1-2
Odin Sphere (action game with j-rpg elements)

jStrategies:
anything from Nippon Ichi

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh come on. Grandia 1 is pretty much the worst piece of shit I have ever played. It embodies everything that is wrong with the jRPG genre.

spekkio

Arcane
Well I liked the battle system. After FF "Press Attack - win teh game" it was something new for me.

Maybe I just have shitty taste in games :(

On the other hand, we have Japanese culture to thank for the fact that no gaming studio EVER will even contemplate making a next-gen dumbed down re-make of 'Day of the Tentacle'. Nooooo way....they ain't going to be touching that game title with a 20 foot pole...

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
spekkio said:
Well I liked the battle system. After FF "Press Attack - win teh game" it was something new for me.

Maybe I just have shitty taste in games :(

The other picks are pretty good. It's just Grandia 1 that gets on my nerve. The battle system might be a small improvement on regular jRPG combat, but it's pretty much the same.

Dicksmoker said:
Xenogears is a narrativist game. You can't get away from that.

There are no "narrativist games" you dumb fuck. GAME and NARRATIVE are two mutually exclusive terms.

:DURR HURR TORMENT:

Torment's dialogue was directly connected to the gameplay, because depending on your character and what you did you could or could not say things. Not to mention even rudimentary western dialogue system - say, Baldur's Gate's - is fifty seven times more interactive than just pressing X over and over.

So you can either accept it and experience the best story that has ever occured in a video game

Yeah, japs are known for making sweeping, convincing, and engrossing stories in their games. Hell, the only thing they do better is original, deep and realistic characters!

The intro alone is more than enough anyone will ever need to know about story in Xenogears, it's so fucking pretentiously pathetic.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
No you're just full of shit. And in movies all we do is sit and watch them, there's no interactivity or nothing. And yet, somehow, we're able to enjoy the story. Wonder how that works?

Dicksmoker said:
No you're just full of shit. And in movies all we do is sit and watch them, there's no interactivity or nothing. And yet, somehow, we're able to enjoy the story. Wonder how that works?

They're not made, advertised, and sold as games? You're not watching ten minutes of a movie, and then forced to take up the controller and kill random encounters for 30 minutes just so you can watch another 10 minutes of the movie?

WHO KNOWS

A user named cat

Emotional Vampire said:
Dicksmoker said:

So fucking spot on. My ex got that game as a gift for me. When I reached the second disk I wanted to bash my head into the TV, endless blabbing. Never did make it through all that, ended up eBaying it since those PSX RPGs are worth quite a bit nowadays.

I like me some JRPGs though. Not sure if it counts, but give Vandal Hearts a try. Sure it's a lighter and more linear version of Final Fantasy Tactics, but it's still pretty fun and there's absolutely no grinding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom