Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Katana Zero: Hotline Miami but even better

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I'm shocked that we don't have a thread for this amazing game yet. Katana Zero was developed by a tiny developer team and released in 2019. It is a hard action platformer very similar to Hotline Miami, even though it uses a different perspective. In contrast to Hotline Miami, you cannot use guns in this game. Instead, you rely on your Katana, throwing weapons and your ability to slow down time. After the game was released in 2019, the developer announced a free DLC which would release soon. Three years later, we finally have a gameplay preview of said DLC. Take a look at this:

If you have any interest in this kind of games, I strongly encourage you to buy Katana Zero. You won't be disappointed.

https://af.gog.com/en/game/katana_zero?as=1649904300

Last edited:

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
Because the general gameplay loop is very similar. You die after a single hit in both games and have to repeat the current section until you master it. Also both games are quite difficult.

Tarkleigh

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Katana Zero was great, glad to see there will be more content. To be honest, I did not believe this DLC would ever come out.

Falksi

Arcane
Because the general gameplay loop is very similar. You die after a single hit in both games and have to repeat the current section until you master it. Also both games are quite difficult.
I really don't like that modern trend setup tbh.

I know it's supposed to be arcade-like, but there's a reason arcade games like Shinobi developed health bars, and that's because there needs to be a middle ground between beginner and master in the early days of playing to make it less mathematical/digital and more enjoyable.

Tons of Indie devs seem to be copying that setup, and it's all-or-nothing nature is just too rigid. A great game should be easy to get into, fun to beat, and even more fun to master. Missing the mid-section of that makes them worse games.

Games like Blades of Vengeance seem to strike a better balance. Tough but not as repetitive.

Last edited:

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
I really don't like that modern trend setup tbh.

I know it's supposed to be arcade-like, but there's a reason arcade games like Shinobi developed health bars, and that's because there needs to be a middle ground between beginner and master in the early days of playing to make it less mathematical/digital and more enjoyable.

Tons of Indie devs seem to be copying that setup, and it's all-or-nothing nature is just too rigid. A great game should be easy to get into, fun to beat, and even more fun to master. Missing the mid-section of that makes them worse games.

Games like Blades of Vengeance seem to strike a better balance. Tough but not as repetitive.
I get what you're saying and it would be very interesting to play something like Ghostrunner, Hotline Miami or Katana Zero with health bars just to feel the difference. If you character dies after a single hit, you need to make sure that the game isn't too hard and that the amount of the game you have to repeat is limited. These kind of games are sort of like puzzle games in the regard that you need to find the correct way to play a level or you won't make any progress. I'm not sure whether any similar arcade game existed in the past. Stuff like "Contra: Hard Corps" comes to my mind, but it had a life system, so you didn't always have to repeat everything. Nevertheless, games like Contra are much, much harder than any of the modern games I mentioned.

SumDrunkGuy

I can see the similarities to Hotline Miami. I would NOT want to play a game like that in sidescroller form. Hard pass.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I'm shocked that we don't have a thread for this amazing game yet. Katana Zero was developed by a tiny developer team and released in 2019. It is a hard action platformer very similar to Hotline Miami, even though it uses a different perspective. In contrast to Hotline Miami, you cannot use guns in this game. Instead, you rely on your Katana, throwing weapons and your ability to slow down time. After the game was released in 2019, the developer announced a free DLC which would release soon. Three years later, we finally have a gameplay preview of said DLC. Take a look at this:

If you have any interest in this kind of games, I strongly encourage you to buy Katana Zero. You won't be disappointed.

https://af.gog.com/en/game/katana_zero?as=1649904300

amazing little game

SumDrunkGuy

Why are you comparing a sidescrolling platformer to Hotline Miami?

- gore
- skill based twitch gameplay
- 80s vibe
- same gameplay loop, different perspective

go back to Soyer dick sucking thread, moron
Wow, somebody got triggered. A big part of Hotline Miami's appeal is it's soundtrack which you failed to mention. I listened to some of the tracks on Katalina Zorro or whatever it's called and I gotta say, it's fairly lacking. I am extremely unimpressed.

Also why are we suddenly glamorizing blatant ripoffs? Is that the trend now? "Fuck original content, this game is just like Hotline Miami. Omg you better love it or else!"

Last edited by a moderator:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I dont think you know what ure talking about anymore

but I like you in a sad way so Ill forgive u

Jinn

Arcane
Katana Zero is one of the best games I've played that has come out in recent years. It's not a Hotline Miami ripoff by any stretch of the imagination, though it was clearly inspired by elements of it. Don't be an idiot and at least give it a try sometime before trashing it based on the most superficial and uninformed impressions of it.

Also, the soundtrack is great, especially when you're playing. Fits the action superbly.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

- gore
- 80s vibe

Wow, somebody got triggered. A big part of Hotline Miami's appeal is it's soundtrack which you failed to mention. I listened to some of the tracks on Katalina Zorro or whatever it's called and I gotta say, it's fairly lacking. I am extremely unimpressed.

Also why are we suddenly glamorizing blatant ripoffs? Is that the trend now? "Fuck original content, this game is just like Hotline Miami. Omg you better love it or else!"
The OST is hardly lacking.

KVVRR

Learned

- gore
- 80s vibe

the OST alone makes already very good scenes into straight up great ones, the hell are you talking about?

Ivan

Arcane
This didn't stick with me, it's been years (release) since I played but I remember finding it frustrating because there wasn't that element of improvisational combat that there was with the variables of bullets + throwable weapons as in Hotline Miami. That said, I'd be happy to give this another go once the DLC releases. I remember liking the presentation, the music, and missing out on the "secret" final boss.

I have this in my library: very relaxing, reminds me of Cowbow Bebop, Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill)

notes to keep handy for that future playthrough:
In order to trigger the Psychiatrist’s boss fight, you’ll need to make him angry. Whenever dialogue options come up, some choices will be highlighted in red. These indicate aggressive or rude responses which will be key in enraging the good doctor. You’ll need to take every opportunity to anger him at various moments throughout the game.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
bullets + throwable weapons

There's a lot of throwable weapons in Katana Zero, and your ability to deflect bullets and how that ties into the duration in which you're able to alter the flow of time gives a similar effect. As far as general improvisation, any given situation had a multitude of approaches, many of which I got to experiment with through the course of my many deaths.

Surprised to read this from you, given your generally open-minded nature to games - particularly experimental titles. Try it again, but this time sever the connection in your mind between this and Hotline. Quite different games with a few threads that bind them.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
but there's a reason arcade games like Shinobi developed health bars, and that's because there needs to be a middle ground between beginner and master in the early days of playing to make it less mathematical/digital and more enjoyable.
The reason why Shinobi had health bars was because arcade games are designed to be as difficult as possible in order for the player to keep pumping quarters into the machine. The health bars made it seem like you had a decent chance to beat the game on a single quarter. That never did happen, but the entire effect was purely psychological.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom