Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Ken Levine shuts down Irrational Games

DeepOcean

Arcane
Why would they? Games like Skyrim and Bioshock Infinite are the logical end conclusion for LGS style games. Once you cut the party out of the RPG, Once you reduce combat to boring real-time clicking at enemies until they die, once you focus on first-person 'immersion', what else is left? Arena, Ultima Underworld, System Shock were the true beginning of the decline.
WTF is this shit? I think you did forgot to add a Troll face in your post.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Why would they? Games like Skyrim and Bioshock Infinite are the logical end conclusion for LGS style games. Once you cut the party out of the RPG, Once you reduce combat to boring real-time clicking at enemies until they die, once you focus on first-person 'immersion', what else is left? Arena, Ultima Underworld, System Shock were the true beginning of the decline.
:bravo:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
(i.e. you can make personality choices through your character that result in scripted changes to the narrative)

Yeah, you keep repeating that retarded definition parroted 100% from Sawyer, but it doesn't make it any more true or less retarded.
You are defining visual novels. Period.

Scripted changes defining what an RPG is... :lol: I really wonder if you're doing this on purpose or you really don't realize the dumb shit you're saying.

Well, PS:T is the best RPG ever created, is it not?
:smug:

Yeah well, PS:T is more RPG than both Protolol and Derp Siege put together, and it was sold as an Adventure/RPG, which it actually is.

Yes, you're probably referring to the Codex best RPG vote, but then again I don't care about shit where Protolol shows up.

Last edited:

Monty

Arcane
I really felt sad when Herve raped Interplay

herve.gif

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, you keep repeating that retarded definition parroted 100% from Sawyer, but it doesn't make it any more true or less retarded.
I'm not you see, because visual novels have no gameplay. They're books with role playing.

I'm not you see, because visual novels have no gameplay. They're books with role playing.
No, there are an interactive electronic medium, which you play with active (almost braindead I agree) player participation. hence they are games. And Josh comes off as extremely narrowminded with his asssumptiom of what constitutes an RPG.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No, there are an interactive electronic medium, which you play with active (almost braindead I agree) player participation. hence they are games. And Josh comes off as extremely narrowminded with his asssumptiom of what constitutes an RPG.
Microsoft Excel is the best game I've ever played. I play the role of the cursor, and I move from cell to cell inputting data.

Monty

Arcane
Microsoft Excel is the best game I've ever played. I play the role of the cursor, and I move from cell to cell inputting data.

I'm glad they got rid of that paperclip companion after player feedback though. Nothing but annoying lore dumps.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

It's the only game they allow me to play at work, along with Word, Powerpoint and some statistical ones (lame)

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yah, some former Irrational employees at that one paywall-forum-where-devs-speak-perhaps-a-bit-too-openly-because-of-the-semi-security-of-the-paywall are kind of suggesting that Bioshock Infinite bombed, the delays and bloated budget are 100% the result of Levine's bad managerial decisions, but he gets to keep his job because of his Name Value.

There's still hope left in the world....

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I actually liked the first three stages of Bioshock.

Yes, a very good game for the first 20 minutes, it's just a bit of a shame about the remaining 20 hours.

I wonder how much of my resentment of those 20 hours game is a reaction to all of the hype. Maybe it would have been a somewhat enjoyable diversion if the consensus around the game had been that it was a pretty good game that starts strong but loses its way instead of "amazing game, awesome environmental iteration with plasmids allows all sorts of tactical awesomeness, mindblowing C&C and a story that will totally change the nature of a man who chooses to obey the game"

Repressed Homosexual
I actually liked the first three stages of Bioshock.

Yes, a very good game for the first 20 minutes, it's just a bit of a shame about the remaining 20 hours.

I wonder how much of my resentment of those 20 hours game is a reaction to all of the hype. Maybe it would have been a somewhat enjoyable diversion if the consensus around the game had been that it was a pretty good game that starts strong but loses its way instead of "amazing game, awesome environmental iteration with plasmids allows all sorts of tactical awesomeness, mindblowing C&C and a story that will totally change the nature of a man who chooses to obey the game"

Or maybe it would have been seen as a good game if it didn't dumb System Shock 2 down to high heavens and cram it with AAA console game features.

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
He wants to take the IP with him. F*ck them all, he could care less. Sounds like many of them were the last to know. A true bastard.

If he wanted to leave, he could take a few select members with him and put somebody else in charge of the company. But that is not what a sociopath would do.

He would just fold, take the IP with him and row away in a little boat with some of his friends after punching holes in the bottom of the ship.

It's a long list but I am adding Ken Levine to the list of people I have to recognise their names in the future so I know what kind of bastardry to expect. I'm terrible with names but some a**holes warrant remembering. Ken Levine. Levine, is that Irish? I am trying to tag something to the name with association so I will remember what a bastard he is.

And this is why I love Cleve.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher

You have some high :obviously: standards there. Let me extend them a bit:

There has never ever been a true CRPG. It's adventure games (pre-set dialogue and limited C&C, items and hotspots to use them at), hiking sims (world exploration & immersion in a non-interactive environment), small-scale wargames (turn-based tactics) or a combination of these. Oh, and action games with stats, be it Diablo or real-time blobbers.
And if we go deeper, some older purists consider PnP RPG a mere storyfaggy extension of wargaming.

So what do you want? Roll a party and then watch them level up and raise skills, as any involvement on your part would break TRUE RPG-ness? Or maybe you are just trying too hard to please the hivemind, hard to tell these days.

Dokkalfar

Drog-kun~
Village Idiot
Here, I'll help you even further:

RPG:
Bards-Tale-II-Boot-Disk_001-620x428.png

1121964594-00.png

mmwox-maca.png

FPS:
Ultima-Underworld.jpg

The%20Elder%20Scrolls%20-%20Arena_6.png

PCG220.Reinstall_Shock2_103.jpg

RTS:
BG+screenshot+1.jpg

icewinddale_screen001.jpg

Adventure:
imgFallout-25.jpeg

204782-planescape_torment__2_.jpg

Keep this in mind and you'll be on the path to :obviously: before you know it

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
What's with the mongoloids still responding to this guy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom