Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Is this game any good? I've been tempted to try it for a while.
Kenshi has a hand-crafted post-apocalyptic Open World environment that forms a unique setting with interesting lore, great for anyone wanting to play an exploration-focused RPG. There are certain aspects, such as technological research and base-building available from the start, that are rare among RPGs but questionable as to their successful implementation.

Q5KzHZb.jpg

PlayerEmers

Educated
I wonder what you guys think about Native Stylise. Its basically Reshade but native to the game engine. The shaders used give a cell shading look to the game.
I know not everyone is too keen of shaders, but for me this mod compliments well the graphics and aesthetics of the game. I use it all the time.

06F5E88703E75887CF1AE69961AC6E0398D619A3

BruceVC

Magister
Im about 10 hours into Kenshi and I want to make sure Im "playing this game right " and understanding its design

No spoilers, just high-level feedback will be appreciated

Firstly it took me several hours to understand basic mechanics that I was misunderstanding like combat, I had a companion called Lars who joined me but in combat only he was attacking and that was because I had enabled Block for my main character, so small setting changes in this game created unexpected behaviour. But I have now addressed this and combat makes sense

But basically Im getting money which is critical to buy things like food from mining and then I have found ruins and looted items from these types of places and then I have sold them. And Im focusing on upgrading weapons and armour for my 4 man party

I realize you very weak in combat in the beginning but I found a training dummy in a Police station which I have raised melee but I have realized the only way I can really improve my combat skills is to fight weak enemies close to towns. Im still getting defeated by enemies but its improving. I also learnt the advantages of crafting a camp bed and being able to heal quickly in the wilderness

But end of the day its real open-world and sandbox and you can do anything you want and go anywhere you want? But am I on the right track and am I raising my skills in the best way?

Money and food are my biggest resource objectives and I am addressing this by a slow and steady exploration strategy

BruceVC

Magister
I wonder what you guys think about Native Stylise. Its basically Reshade but native to the game engine. The shaders used give a cell shading look to the game.
I know not everyone is too keen of shaders, but for me this mod compliments well the graphics and aesthetics of the game. I use it all the time.

06F5E88703E75887CF1AE69961AC6E0398D619A3
I loaded this mod and I think its a real improvement on the overall visuals

Thanks for the recommendation

mondblut

Arcane
Kenshi has a hand-crafted post-apocalyptic Open World environment that forms a unique setting with interesting lore, great for anyone wanting to play an exploration-focused RPG. There are certain aspects, such as technological research and base-building available from the start, that are rare among RPGs but questionable as to their successful implementation.

Thanks, ChatGPT.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
But am I on the right track and am I raising my skills in the best way?
There is no real "best track" to Kenshi. It all depends on who you are, and what you want to roleplay as... and what are your objectives.

But, I guess, a spoiler-free tip would be that improving your strength is almost universally a good thing. Other than that, it is really up to you as to what you want to do.

And so the real question would be this: what do you want to do?

Mauman

Scholar
Anyone mention in this thread how the development of some parts of the game (such as The Holy Nation) were retroactively changed during development by a single person... to be unintentionally worse than its original state

What do you mean, "worse"? HN are the good guys.
Was it the added sexism? I seem to recall that was added later and it was done so because, well, the HN have a point with the xenophobia.*

Robots - ended the world. TWICE.

Shek - genetically enhanced enforcers of said Robots. Also basically Klingons that want to murder everything.

Hivers - either want to eat you, sacrifice you to their god, or scam you.

I personally believe the sexism was added to make the HN not be the obvious pick for good guys in this game.

*Note, not an endorsement of their actions.

(...)

But end of the day its real open-world and sandbox and you can do anything you want and go anywhere you want? But am I on the right track and am I raising my skills in the best way?

Money and food are my biggest resource objectives and I am addressing this by a slow and steady exploration strategy

Number goes up means you're playing it correctly, don't worry. The best way of raising skills is not gonna be as fun as what you're currently doing.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Im about 10 hours into Kenshi and I want to make sure Im "playing this game right " and understanding its design

No spoilers, just high-level feedback will be appreciated

Firstly it took me several hours to understand basic mechanics that I was misunderstanding like combat, I had a companion called Lars who joined me but in combat only he was attacking and that was because I had enabled Block for my main character, so small setting changes in this game created unexpected behaviour. But I have now addressed this and combat makes sense

But basically Im getting money which is critical to buy things like food from mining and then I have found ruins and looted items from these types of places and then I have sold them. And Im focusing on upgrading weapons and armour for my 4 man party

I realize you very weak in combat in the beginning but I found a training dummy in a Police station which I have raised melee but I have realized the only way I can really improve my combat skills is to fight weak enemies close to towns. Im still getting defeated by enemies but its improving. I also learnt the advantages of crafting a camp bed and being able to heal quickly in the wilderness

Rather than attempting to raise your skills in an 'optimal' manner, find a relatively fun way of improving them. I suggest traveling between the cities in your starting area and recruiting a few of the unique NPCs, who have unique lines of dialogue (or monologue) and sometimes interactions with NPCs. You'll need to be quite careful in avoiding combat against overwhelming foes, until you've strengthened your characters by a combination of skill/attribute increases and better equipment.

mondblut

Arcane
Rather than attempting to raise your skills in an 'optimal' manner, find a relatively fun way of improving them. I suggest traveling between the cities in your starting area and recruiting a few of the unique NPCs, who have unique lines of dialogue (or monologue) and sometimes interactions with NPCs. You'll need to be quite careful in avoiding combat against overwhelming foes, until you've strengthened your characters by a combination of skill/attribute increases and better equipment.

...or leave them all overloaded and following some guy overnight, THEN find a relatively fun way of improving them :)

Zanzoken

Arcane
Read up on the game well, there's not really anything to spoil yourself on except for certain encounters since there's no quests or anything of that nature so there's no reason not to go in as prepare as possible.

New players, DO NOT listen to this newfag's advice. The game is at its best when you are learning the mechanics and discovering the world for yourself. It's probably true for all games, but for Kenshi in particular, once you know how everything works it becomes much less exciting.

I repeat, you will ruin this game for yourself if you do a bunch of research beforehand. Just play the game, don't be afraid to take risks, and don't reload a save unless you absolutely have to.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

Hint: if you click on some buildings in town, in the lower corner you may see the option to purchase them. You can use these to build useful things.

In general the way to survive in Kenshi is armor. Heavy armor. Don't worry about the stat penalties, the damage resistance is completely worth it.

BruceVC

Magister

Hint: if you click on some buildings in town, in the lower corner you may see the option to purchase them. You can use these to build useful things.

In general the way to survive in Kenshi is armor. Heavy armor. Don't worry about the stat penalties, the damage resistance is completely worth it.
Thanks, I was wondering about that specific question. Whats the balance between armour that lowers your melee attack compared to no less effective armour and less melee penalty

I havent bought a house yet, I have basically found regions that are within my party level of 20-35 so Im sticking to those and increasing my combat skills

The areas in the NE with the desert and slavers is great, the best thing is to come across a destroyed caravan and I can loot from the pack animals and sell the items. Im always short of money and food is always a scarcity because Im travelling so much and exploring large parts of the map

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Thanks, I was wondering about that specific question. Whats the balance between armour that lowers your melee attack compared to no less effective armour and less melee penalty

I havent bought a house yet, I have basically found regions that are within my party level of 20-35 so Im sticking to those and increasing my combat skills

The areas in the NE with the desert and slavers is great, the best thing is to come across a destroyed caravan and I can loot from the pack animals and sell the items. Im always short of money and food is always a scarcity because Im travelling so much and exploring large parts of the map
I'd be cautious with heavy armor at the early game. Yes, it mitigates a lot of damage. But if you become too slow then you won't get many opportunities to hit back either. I've only ever done one playthrough of Kenshi and I did an unarmed, low armor (duster, cargo pants, fog mask, boots) and solo character. Apart from getting the crap kicked out of me repeatedly in the beginning I was eventually able to claw my way up into becoming the king of the world using only my non-augmented fists. There is no wrong way to play Kenshi, everything is viable. At least eventually.

BruceVC

Magister
One question, is there a way to automatically see what NPC you can interact with. I have been to towns and sometimes there are dozens of people and only 2-3 that I can interact with and I am doing that manually by moving the mouse over the NPC and you see the dialogue option

And holding down ALT reveals objects. This would be beneficial to large towns with lots of NPC?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom