Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1590639245/stonehearth?ref=category

A sandbox strategy game with town building, crafting, and epic battles!

Stonehearth is a game about exploration and survival in an epic fantasy setting. Your job is to help a small group of settlers survive and carve out a place for themselves in a hostile land. You’ll need to establish a food supply, build shelter, defend your people, and find a way to grow and expand, facing challenges at every step.​

Starting from procedurally generated terrain with dynamic AI encounters, Stonehearth combines city sim and good old combat with infinite building possibilities. It’s built to be moddable at every level, from your city, to the people and creatures inhabiting the world, and will ship with the tools and documentation for you to add your own customizations to the game, and share them with friends.​

• The game is equal parts Sandbox, Real Time Strategy, and RPG.
  • It will initially ship on PC, but we are leaving the door open for Mac and Linux releases down the road.
  • This kickstarter is to fund the single player version of the game. We would love to add cooperative multiplayer and PvP modes as well, and these will appear as stretch goals.
Asking for $120,000. $15 for the game. I thought this was kind of interesting.

Alex

Arcane
Thor Olavsrud and Luke Crane, creators of the Burning Wheel roleplaying game, just launched a kickstarter for a new game here. It is called Torchbearer, and from what I gathered it is going to be a dungeon crawler that tries to emulate early D&D while focusing on nitty gritty aspects of dungeoneering, like inventory management, food, water, light and what not.

himmy

Arcane
www.kickstarter.com/projects/nerdkingdom/tug-1

"TUG is a multiplayer open-world sandbox-RPG using new technology and social sciences to directly involve players in the game's design."

Made by what can only be described as a "buttload" of academics: "We’re a collective of scientists, researchers, technologists, economists, content creators, artists, modders, and gamers from a variety of disciplines and backgrounds."

Alex

Arcane
This is a good week for dungeon crawlers, it seems. Adventures Dark and Deep (also known as AD&D), has launched its kickstarter for its bestiary. Adventures Dark and Deep is a game that tries to imagine how 2nd edition AD&D would have turned out if Gary hadn't been ousted from TSR. While it is probably far from accurate, and its author says as much, it tries to use the many articles Gary left in magazines and such about what changes were being planned for the new edition to guide its design. The result is pretty interesting, I feel, and feels much less of a departure from the 1st edition than 2nd edition was.

There has already been a kickstarter for the Player's manual, and Joseph Bloch didn't feel the need to make one for the GM's toolkit, as he thought the proceedings of his previous books were enough for that one. The Bestiary is different in that Joseph would really like to have it chock full of illustrations, and that requires more money than he has in hands right now. This kickstarter then has a big stretch goal of how many monsters will get illustrations. At $24,000 all of the 900 monsters will be illustrated (and we will get one hefty book, I imagine). If you are interested, but don't want to start with the last book, there are options for getting all books in the kickstarter as well. Or you can head to his webstore and check out his works and see if it is worth your time.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1607565961/welcome-to-boon-hill

A graveyard simulator, a story of epitaphs, a tale of ghosts that haunt, a game with no goal— all valid descriptions of Boon Hill.

Boon Hill - Graveyard Simulator​

To put it as simply as possible, Boon Hill is a game about reading gravestones. There might be a few other elements in the final product but the bulk of the game would be just walking through a graveyard, reading epitaphs and thinking about who these people were and never will be again.​

Gameplay​

It might be hard to imagine why someone would want to play a game about walking through a graveyard. Have you ever done that? Just walked through a graveyard and spent time examining all the different gravestones and what's written there? You should if you haven't.​

The gameplay is simple: you move around and examine things. The most obvious things being the headstones, of course. You can also interact with any NPCs you might encounter.​

Free Roaming​

The game itself has no win scenario. As the protagonist you'll start with a specific gravestone you're looking for, but finding it won't end the game. Looking at every gravestone once won't end the game. Doing everything there possibly is to do won't end the game. The game ends when you decide to leave the graveyard. The experience is yours. It isn't dictated by some preset guidelines.​

There will be some specific event triggers, yes, but they don't need to be triggered. Maybe today you don't want to talk to anyone, you just want to leave flowers on a gravestone and sit for awhile.​

This is just...... different? Asking for $5,000. $5 for the game. Currently for PC.

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Where are they now
The progress of smaller kickstarters.

Limit Theory: An Infinite, Procedural Space Game
A playable prototype was released to backers a few days ago.

Sir, You Are Being Hunted
Gameplay footage has been shown off recently.

Maia
Early Alpha builds of the engine has been distributed to some backers to work out the kinks in it.

Starlight Inception
Currently in alpha with most of the art assets, voice work and scripting done.

Ingame shots:

readyroom.jpg

sabretooth_cockpitview.jpg

Takedown
Hard at work, though it looks like they'll go over the date they put down in their kickstarter.
Their blog gives more information on their development.
http://serellan.com/blog-2/

And heres them shooting guns.

Would anyone be kind to give the updates to Antharion as they seem to be backer only.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Lawdy:
Legends Ero: Worlds Defiled(LEWD) is similar to your average erotic text adventure game, except bigger, more advanced, and online. It's sci-fi, set in the future. It runs in your web or mobile phone browser.

Planned Features

• Combat with a victory through fighting, or fucking.
  • The possibility to play as a virgin to the end.

It's like an MMO, but can I play it single player?
Yes! There will be a simple private mode that blocks you from seeing other Player-Characters. Yyou'll be invisible, and messaging functionality with players will be removed so no one can say anything to you. You won't be able to tell it's not solo. You will still be able to interact with player created NPCs.

Lord British is already inspiring others.

Will there be anthros/furries?
Not exactly. There will be cat ears, tails, and "animal anatomy"(dicks), space elves, and more realistic sorts of monsters, tentacles, and aliens. However, it would be too restrictive to not let people make their furry player-character. You'll be able to set your character descriptors how you'd like as a custom race!

What sort of microtransactions will there be?
I'm not sure at the moment. I'm focusing on making the game good, not dwelling on how to monitize it. I know there will be buying increased character slots for sure. (The server has to save a ton of data such as visited NPCs, current and completed quests, so limiting them for free users is necessary)
:hmmm:

There is a demo too:
http://www.playlewd.com/demo.html

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sadtaco/lewd-an-erotic-text-adventure/?ref=kicktraq

Lancehead

Liturgist
Risks and challenges

There is really no risk. I'm very capable of programming everything I want to do here. There is nothing for me to learn, I only need to be able to work full time on it to implement. I'm pretty fast at programming, hence the few weeks target for alpha backers to have something to play, test, and give feedback on.
You can see the demo that I made in under 2 weeks, from nothing at all to that. 90% of the 2000 lines of very efficient code were written in the first week, with content and a few bug fixes the following in the second week. Given a few months, and a budget to commission writers and artists, I will do a lot more.

He sounds very confident.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/524168447/the-stomping-land

The Stomping Land is a multiplayer survival game about dinosaurs. Create traps, salvage resources, form tribes.​

In order to survive, your primary need is simply to eat dinosaur meat. There are plenty of small dinosaurs on the island for you to hunt, but larger carnivores are nearly impossible to kill and are effective at preventing you from obtaining your food.​

At the very start, your hunter is weak and ineffective. By salvaging resources from the world, you will have access to tools and abilities that make you a competent hunter. These tools, when used in combination, will counter these larger carnivores or help you discover other ways of obtaining food. A few of these methods include:​

• Building traps to wound carnivores
    • Hunting down masses of small dinosaurs
    • Sabotaging camps built by other players that contain food
    • Cooperation is highly rewarded since the process of hunting becomes drastically easier. Groups of hunters will have the ability to build campsites, which can be used to store meat. Large quantities of stored meat will enable abilities for that group.
The more meat that is being stored by players, the fewer huntable dinosaurs will be present on the map. This will cause other tribes to seek down and destroy your campsites. Becoming the dominant tribe on the island is the ultimate goal.​

I thought this was at least interesting.... asking for $20,000. $15 for the game. It is currently only 1 guy working on this.... I'm not seeing any red flags though...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...starters-to-revive-alice-and-make-and-oz-game

American McGee, of American McGee's Alice fame, is working on Kickstarters for both Alice: Otherlands and a game based on The Wizard of Oz.​

The former has had a Facebook page for months now, but recently it's confirmed that a Kickstarter is definitely happening and is "set to start roughly in July if all goes well with EA," the developer wrote when asking fans for feedback on its reward structure.​

I wonder if he is going to attempt to buy the rights back?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Alice in Wonderland has been in the public domain for ages, so as long as he doesn't take anything highly specific straight from the previous game he shouldn't need to buy any rights.

-Spectacle

Kz3r0

Arcane
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/524168447/the-stomping-land

The Stomping Land is a multiplayer survival game about dinosaurs. Create traps, salvage resources, form tribes.​

In order to survive, your primary need is simply to eat dinosaur meat. There are plenty of small dinosaurs on the island for you to hunt, but larger carnivores are nearly impossible to kill and are effective at preventing you from obtaining your food.​

At the very start, your hunter is weak and ineffective. By salvaging resources from the world, you will have access to tools and abilities that make you a competent hunter. These tools, when used in combination, will counter these larger carnivores or help you discover other ways of obtaining food. A few of these methods include:​

• Building traps to wound carnivores
    • Hunting down masses of small dinosaurs
    • Sabotaging camps built by other players that contain food
    • Cooperation is highly rewarded since the process of hunting becomes drastically easier. Groups of hunters will have the ability to build campsites, which can be used to store meat. Large quantities of stored meat will enable abilities for that group.
The more meat that is being stored by players, the fewer huntable dinosaurs will be present on the map. This will cause other tribes to seek down and destroy your campsites. Becoming the dominant tribe on the island is the ultimate goal.​

I thought this was at least interesting.... asking for $20,000. $15 for the game. It is currently only 1 guy working on this.... I'm not seeing any red flags though...
The concept is interesting and he already has something to show, judging by the stretch goals he also seems aware of the kind of money needed for such a game, probably his real objective there, all in all seems that will get quite a bit of money, added.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Wait, what the hell happened with Alice and EA that they need a Kickstarter now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom