Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Tehdagah

Arcane
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

shantae.gif

DCS WWII: Europe 1944
Legendary flight simulation designers Oleg Maddox, Ilya Shevchenko, and Igor Tishin, are excited to bring you a new WWII flight simulation for the PC. Built by industry veterans with the same approach that made the famous flight sims of the past great, and in partnership with the experts at the Fighter Collection and Eagle Dynamics, the simulation aims to satisfy seasoned aces as well as attract new pilots to the genre.
Have mixed feelings about this, really wish Eagle Dynamics would focus on their modern-day study sims. :(

ScottishMartialArts

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Posting in this thread to laugh at Ambrov X. Hope they weren't expecting to succeed.

Divinity: Original Sin
Posting in this thread to laugh at Ambrov X. Hope they weren't expecting to succeed.

This is the kind of project I would like it to be funded, only for the team become unable to finish and deliver the game, generating massive butthurt, but a well deserved lesson on anyone who backed that shit. The funniest thing about it is how those guys praise fan fiction authors as if they're literature nobel prize contenders...

Destroid

Arcane
Cult Cancelled.

http://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikes/comments/1lvjtx/cult_awakening_of_the_old_ones_empyrea/

Here's the text send out to Kickstarter backers:

"I'm going to go ahead and link everyone to this thread, since it's easier if we all start from the same page.

As was noted when I started said thread, things with the project have not been going so well. I was running into increasingly large problems with continuing with the development of the game engine in Python, and after doing some basic experimentation with switching over to another engine (Unity being the main candidate), it became obvious that going ahead with such a move would set me back probably two or three years' worth of work.

On top of that, I'm not finding myself as enthusiastic about the project as I was at the time of the campaign. Since there's nothing I can really do to 'make' myself enthused, that's simply the reality of the matter.

Facing reality, I want to pay back the debts I owe as a result of this campaign and move on with life. I am not satisfied with letting it sit here and stew for any longer than necessary. On the other hand it's going to take some time to be able to offer refunds, but I fully intend to make that happen as soon as I'm able. Considering that, as a result of the campaign being successful, I lived off of a salary of ~$14,500 (which was what I ended up taking away after KS, Amazon, taxes, and contractor fees) for roughly a year, I'm not exactly in the best situation financially right now. There is no point in lying about the matter. I guess this does show that there is some risk to backing a Kickstarter for something so ambitious (especially a single-dev project), and that one should not launch a project unless they really understand the pitfalls involved. I may well end up writing a book about the experience.

One thing I want to make clear is that I am not just throwing my hands up and saying 'well, I failed, too bad'. I understand there was (and is) an obligation and I am not walking away from it. I will work hard in whatever way I possibly can to restore the funds.

As for the source code and game resources, as I have previously made clear, I am willing to make those open source or allow an interested developer(s) to make use of them.

My apologies,

David"

Inb4 he kickstarts his book.

Stabwound

Arcane
~$14,500 out of $34,000 pledged after KS, Amazon, taxes and contractor fees? Amazon and KS is 10%, so that's about $30,600 leftover, and do you actually have to pay taxes on kickstarter payments? I'm no accountant, but that seems like a lot of money to spend on contractor fees on a game that barely had any graphics and produced only a tech demo, and used a free roguelike library.

It's easy to make excuses and promises of refunds when there's almost nothing linking this back to his identity other than a non-unique name on the KS page.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Amazon and KS is 10%, so that's about $30,600 leftover, and do you actually have to pay taxes on kickstarter payments? .
Not to defend the guy but, yes, if you are not business savy or, worst, you folow Kickstarter's guidelines that figures as taxable income, it's not the first time that happens.

Edit:
Here an apt article:
Could Kickstarter's Policies Trigger An IRS Tax Audit?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/cameron...g-kickstarters-policies-cause-irs-tax-audits/

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The co-op mode where you each controlled 2 guys and fought 5 cpu soldiers was one of the most fun things ever.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Destroid

Arcane
I really don't think adding all that crap to tabletop games gives much advantage. I could understand it for games like Battletech which have incredibly tedious rules to process, but boardgames have long since moved beyond such clumsiness. From looking at him using that it seems it would be more disruptive to the flow than anything else.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I really don't think adding all that crap to tabletop games gives much advantage. I could understand it for games like Battletech which have incredibly tedious rules to process, but boardgames have long since moved beyond such clumsiness. From looking at him using that it seems it would be more disruptive to the flow than anything else.
It doesn't add anything, it's just stupid gimmick for people to look hip playing tabletop games.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I'm still waiting for someone to try to kickstart a Terrorist Tycoon. The resulting shitstorm would actually get the game funded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom