Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale + Legion IX standalone expansion - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The way the camera moves so sluggish and the tiny tube levels feel like it was designed for controllers.
Only tube levels in the game, beside the couple of starting maps, are interiors of some castles. But most of locations are big outdoor rectangular maps with mostly-free exploration.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Trying this out.
It's... not as bad as I expected from Neocore but it is clearly consolized. Runs like shit for no apparent reason, too.
As pointed out earlier in this thread, the maps are filled with clutter that has animations and special visual effects everywhere, causing the missions to strain GPUs while rendering the aesthetics worse than they would have been with a cleaner design. :M

Regvard

Arcane
- I am at level 19ish and I like it so far.

- Normal is a bit too easy. Hard seems to be the ideal level.

- As a boomer with responsibilities, I love that I can just start and finish a mission in a few minutes. Don't need to commit all my free time at once to be immersed.

- I wish the party size was greater or you could run 2-3 teams simultaneously without XP penalty. On hard, you'll get injuries and have to swap a replacement occasionally but I am not sure how this will affect the XP progression of heroes recovering at the cathedral or the hospice. They seem to be lagging slightly behind. I have recruited some potentially useful heroes that get no play time at the moment and I want to use them.

- Cinematics with the Lady of Lake is terrible.

- Mordred's spiky armor is very cringe.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It really is very grimderp. Which is fine, they're clearly going for the Warhammer aesthetic here, but still... This isn't some setting a bunch of fat nerds came up with in the 80s, it's based on something more "real". The Arthurian Cycle represents real world issue that people had at the time it was written. It's like using Dante's Inferno and getting it wro- Oh, yea...

e: Holy shit SHUT UP YVAIN. Who the hell directed these voice actors and why are they allowed to work in the industry?

Last edited:

Saravan

Savant
It really is very grimderp. Which is fine, they're clearly going for the Warhammer aesthetic here, but still... This isn't some setting a bunch of fat nerds came up with in the 80s, it's based on something more "real". The Arthurian Cycle represents real world issue that people had at the time it was written. It's like using Dante's Inferno and getting it wro- Oh, yea...

e: Holy shit SHUT UP YVAIN. Who the hell directed these voice actors and why are they allowed to work in the industry?
Yvain really threw me off on just how bad that voice acting was, but there were some others that I did like.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Merlin's voice actor sounds like:
images

Which is fine as dommy mama Morgawse is superior

Black Knight trying way too hard channeling Bale's Batman. But gets a pass for Leap Attack being the most satisfying skill in the game.

Harthwain

Magister
- I wish the party size was greater or you could run 2-3 teams simultaneously without XP penalty. On hard, you'll get injuries and have to swap a replacement occasionally but I am not sure how this will affect the XP progression of heroes recovering at the cathedral or the hospice. They seem to be lagging slightly behind. I have recruited some potentially useful heroes that get no play time at the moment and I want to use them.
You have Training Ground to level up heroes who stay behind or are underleveled.

Regvard

Arcane
You have Training Ground to level up heroes who stay behind or are underleveled.

Can't treat injuries and train at the same time.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Regarding training/XP, I just finished the game. My team varied from level 21 (highest) to 17 (lowest) i.e. everyone was viable for missions at the end - and I didn't pay for training a single time. Benched heroes level up through a combination of Master of Arms trait (Mordred has it if all else fails), training and being sent on Event missions (which can give tons of XP, as much as the knight would gain from missions). Furthermore, you can bring important, underleveled knights on missions whose special reward is bonus XP (you can see which have this on the mission briefing screen).

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I even had a level 19 Tristan and I think he participated in like 5 missions throughout the run lol. In general this game is absolutely fantastic, but one of my gripes with it is that after the early game, you basically build around 6 heroes and never use the remaining 6. The reason is that, even on Very Hard, you generally don't take many injuries or much vitality damage, and when you do, your Cathedral and Hospice are so good it'll only take you a mission's time to get heroes up and running again.

For the last third of the game, I never used anyone but Mordred, Galahad (or as I like to call him, King OP of the Unbalanced), Morgawse, Ector, Balin, Tegryn, Black Knight and once in a blue moon White Knight.

I wish it was harder to avoid Vitality damage and injuries late, and that they took longer to cure. Generally it's a problem from midgame forward that fights snowball very hard - if you start taking Vitality damage you probably lost the entire fight - conversely, fights that you win you often win flawlessly (i.e. taking very little damage). They recently rebalanced late game enemies to deal less damage and have more HP which helped this (at least for me, some Formorian missions actually forced me to lose Vitality and I could still win because enemies didn't just one-shot my guys), but it's still not enough to make you use more of your bench.

EDIT: It's also hilarious that they uber-nerfed Vanguards since I last played, yet I didn't notice it until I read the patch notes by coincidence, because they are still easily the best class :D. As long as I have a strong Vanguard on the team the other three Knights can be a mixture of whatever. You don't need a Defender by late game (in fact it's probably more optimal not to run Defenders, but I like playing with 4 different knight types).

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
Regarding training/XP, I just finished the game. My team varied from level 21 (highest) to 17 (lowest) i.e. everyone was viable for missions at the end - and I didn't pay for training a single time. Benched heroes level up through a combination of Master of Arms trait (Mordred has it if all else fails), training and being sent on Event missions (which can give tons of XP, as much as the knight would gain from missions). Furthermore, you can bring important, underleveled knights on missions whose special reward is bonus XP (you can see which have this on the mission briefing screen).
The way I did this was having at least one replacement of each class (more for Champions, obviously) so each time someone got injuried I had someone to stand-in for next mission (or two). I also swapped characters depending on their levels, leaving at base only those who were able to level up by Training Ground alone. As a result all of my heroes were leveled up pretty evenly.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I didn't even really try that hard and like I said, all my heroes were basically mission-ready XP-wise from around level 10 onward.

Harthwain

Magister
I think they added some new items. I found this recently. Opinions?

Reventants-Head.jpg

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I think they added some new items. I found this recently. Opinions?

Reventants-Head.jpg

They added alot since Chained God season. That one is horrible. You save 4AP once per turn and for that you pay a fourth of your damage on EVERYTHING you do. The only way to recover this damage is getting hit, which your champion should be too often. In short, 25% weapon damage is way too crippling IMO

Harthwain

Magister
They added alot since Chained God season. That one is horrible. You save 4AP once per turn and for that you pay a fourth of your damage on EVERYTHING you do. The only way to recover this damage is getting hit, which your champion should be too often. In short, 25% weapon damage is way too crippling IMO
I thought so. Especially since this item seems to compete for the same spot as "Gain X Damage per Kill" items. I could maybe see it working for Defender ("Gain 10% Damage per Hit for Turn" is better than it sounds for someone who already has to tank hits), but this is Champion only Relic damage bonus is only for the next attack, not for the whole turn/encounter.

Regvard

Arcane
Difficulty really ramps up after main story content. First time I am unable to complete a mission, my party is just not set up for this.

Enemies turn into hit sponges. Especially fighting the undead, having to kill them twice is a pain.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, in my playthrough I felt like events played a big role in keeping side heroes leveled up. I used Mordred, White Knight, Sir Lancelot, and Sir Tegyr 99% of the times, but I still had Lady Dindrane, Sir Pellas, Lady Guinevere, Merlin, and others maxed out both in level and loyalty thanks to mission events and training grounds. The Rightful-Christian decree (Joust) also gives you a lot of freedom in giving free XP boosts.

Harthwain

Magister
Yeah, in my playthrough I felt like events played a big role in keeping side heroes leveled up. I used Mordred, White Knight, Sir Lancelot, and Sir Tegyr 99% of the times, but I still had Lady Dindrane, Sir Pellas, Lady Guinevere, Merlin, and others maxed out both in level and loyalty thanks to mission events and training grounds. The Rightful-Christian decree (Joust) also gives you a lot of freedom in giving free XP boosts.
The way I see it the events are excellent for boosting loyalty for heroes who aren't exactly aligned with you, because of the extra points to loyalty the gets when mission is a success. Training Ground and side missions are enough for me to keep everyone else leveled up and having everyone on pretty even footing is good in case someone needs to heal an injury or vitality damage. Not that it happens very often, but I am kind of paranoid about it when playing on ironman.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
Holy fuck, you guys weren't kidding about the white knight mission.
:stunned:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom