Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames - Legion IX standalone expansion coming May 9th

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Tristan can't compete with other vanguards because his basic attack is completely stupid. What's the use of having poison on a guy who's supposed to instakill shit? And even worse, it costs 1 more AP than a standard vanguard attack, which means you'll be getting fewer attacks in per turn.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
DoT-damage in general is pretty poorly designed. The original intention was probably to be a counter to heavily armored targets, but the problem is that the damage potential of your guys become so high spending time on dots is mostly just wasted. The encouter design knows this, mostly, so dot damage is left as a legacy remnant with very little use.

Cael

Arcane
Tristan can't compete with other vanguards because his basic attack is completely stupid. What's the use of having poison on a guy who's supposed to instakill shit? And even worse, it costs 1 more AP than a standard vanguard attack, which means you'll be getting fewer attacks in per turn.
That is why he only takes off when he gets Tier 3 skills. His basic attack is considered a poison attack, and guess what one of his Tier 3 skills do?

Cael

Arcane
DoT-damage in general is pretty poorly designed. The original intention was probably to be a counter to heavily armored targets, but the problem is that the damage potential of your guys become so high spending time on dots is mostly just wasted. The encouter design knows this, mostly, so dot damage is left as a legacy remnant with very little use.
I use Merlin's DoT quite a bit. His Fire Drake with pumped up burning damage is nasty as hell. Burning basically gave him +50% or so to his attacks (my last run, he was doing 21 burning damage on top of his normal damage).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I use Merlin's DoT quite a bit. His Fire Drake with pumped up burning damage is nasty as hell. Burning basically gave him +50% or so to his attacks (my last run, he was doing 21 burning damage on top of his normal damage).

That's why I wrote "in general." There are specific characters where especially fire dots can work.

EDIT: Though the irony with those are that it's often because, as with Merlin, their dots are so high that they can output significant direct damage with their dots.

Johannes

Arcane
On "very hard" and late in game (last several missions of story plus end-game content, sidhe shrine scenarios and the like) i started fighting mobs that were not killed in 1-2 attacks or cleaves. They also started to really hurt with their attacks, so off-tanking stopped being viable. Champs could not survive with 2-3 regular mobs on them and could not kill them fast enough, even actual "tanks" struggled. To finish 2nd endgame season I had to remodel my team and use 2 tanks (Mordr and Red Knight), caster for CC and Balin for killstreaks and damage dealing. Most of base-game i had a champ (Black Knight) in my A-team, but in the end he just was not doing enough.
Ah. I have never gotten that far. I think of the several runs I have had, I only got to recruiting Lancelot/Morgana and lost interest. But maybe it is because Old Faith/Righteous seems to be easy mode for the game.
Balin seems like the best knight in the game, so going the opposite way won't be the easy mode.

Wish the game had less trash mobs to fight, so doing another run wouldn't take so much time. If it was a more condensed game I could see myself replaying it to try out the old-faith guys like Guinevere, Faery Knight, righteous guys like Lancelot, or just neutral guys I didn't use now.

The sheer amount of combat probably made them also tune the balance for things dying faster, don't want people waiting for poison to kick in if you got to do it 10 times per mission.

Cael

Arcane
On "very hard" and late in game (last several missions of story plus end-game content, sidhe shrine scenarios and the like) i started fighting mobs that were not killed in 1-2 attacks or cleaves. They also started to really hurt with their attacks, so off-tanking stopped being viable. Champs could not survive with 2-3 regular mobs on them and could not kill them fast enough, even actual "tanks" struggled. To finish 2nd endgame season I had to remodel my team and use 2 tanks (Mordr and Red Knight), caster for CC and Balin for killstreaks and damage dealing. Most of base-game i had a champ (Black Knight) in my A-team, but in the end he just was not doing enough.
Ah. I have never gotten that far. I think of the several runs I have had, I only got to recruiting Lancelot/Morgana and lost interest. But maybe it is because Old Faith/Righteous seems to be easy mode for the game.
Balin seems like the best knight in the game, so going the opposite way won't be the easy mode.

Wish the game had less trash mobs to fight, so doing another run wouldn't take so much time. If it was a more condensed game I could see myself replaying it to try out the old-faith guys like Guinevere, Faery Knight, righteous guys like Lancelot, or just neutral guys I didn't use now.

The sheer amount of combat probably made them also tune the balance for things dying faster, don't want people waiting for poison to kick in if you got to do it 10 times per mission.
I don't believe that there is anything that Balin has that other Vanguards don't. It is just that you get him earliest, which means you can custom him to your liking and also he is likely to be the highest level.

Johannes

Arcane
And having Dash is great, more movement skills you have the better. Especially when combined with Juggernaut. The +10% gold raider bonus is nice too.

Is there a guide somewhere with the full available skills different knights have, for the current version? The ones I've seen are outdated.

Harthwain

Magister
Tristan can't compete with other vanguards because his basic attack is completely stupid. What's the use of having poison on a guy who's supposed to instakill shit?
It is supposed to be part of the package (Poisoned Dagger, Gas Trap) that is in turn supposed to give poisoned attacks the edge via damage over time (including armor removal) and the skill that reduces damage coming from poisoned enemies. I agree though that this makes more sense on Archers than on any other class.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Balin has more innate movement skills (jump, dash, charge, jumping attack) then any other vanguard, and gets surprise bonus after all of them (via Murderous Intent). Couple that with skills that give MP or AP on movement skill use and he blends enemy backline into a fine smoothie while covering a ton of ground, buffing himself with Juggernaut in the process. Juggernaut also allows you to spend extra movement points (you get a lot eventually) to gain more damage by shuffling back and forth, and getting dmg for MP is nice. Moving around also cuts down non-movement skills AP cost (via On The Run), so on top of damage boost, MP can save you AP.

Cael

Arcane
Tristan can't compete with other vanguards because his basic attack is completely stupid. What's the use of having poison on a guy who's supposed to instakill shit?
It is supposed to be part of the package (Poisoned Dagger, Gas Trap) that is in turn supposed to give poisoned attacks the edge via damage over time (including armor removal) and the skill that reduces damage coming from poisoned enemies. I agree though that this makes more sense on Archers than on any other class.
It helps when you are dealing with a tough boss. You run in, stab it a few times and jump back out. You tank takes less damage (a lot less damage if the poison is upgraded, which Tristan has as a Tier 3 skill) during the inevitable retaliation. At least, that is the supposed tactic.

Johannes

Arcane
Is there a good explanation on how the forge works? Adding the +2 enchant is simple enough, but the reforging shit? Can't easily just play around w it either since it takes a mission to get the result out.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there a good explanation on how the forge works? Adding the +2 enchant is simple enough, but the reforging shit? Can't easily just play around w it either since it takes a mission to get the result out.
Basically, if you change level or rarity, you get a random item of the next tiers (for rarity) or a random item 5 levels higher.
For relics, it is a bit different as only some relics are available through the forge. I think you can only get one of the relics that are available through the merchant, even if you upgrade a relic that was specifically tied to a given mission (or one you got from the tower).

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

I dunno. I mean I just basically cleared the a whole map with Tristan and Damas using poison trap, poisoned throwing dagger and Damas's insanely powerful archery posion skills to get the pison challenge and I barely swung a sword with the other characters.

Harthwain

Magister
I dunno. I mean I just basically cleared the a whole map with Tristan and Damas using poison trap, poisoned throwing dagger and Damas's insanely powerful archery posion skills to get the pison challenge and I barely swung a sword with the other characters.
What difficulty?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
What difficulty?

Normie. I never tackle a Neocore game on hard until I've played it to completion at least once. Damas is also a borderline illegal character - he has just about every poison ability in the game, and then has Master of Poison on top. The core ability alone provides -1AP to all poison skills. Tristan gets that as well and it reduces his melee by -1AP.

Harthwain

Magister
Normie. I never tackle a Neocore game on hard until I've played it to completion at least once. Damas is also a borderline illegal character - he has just about every poison ability in the game, and then has Master of Poison on top. The core ability alone provides -1AP to all poison skills. Tristan gets that as well and it reduces his melee by -1AP.
I avoided poison because it doesn't work on The Lost (at least in terms of damage, I have no idea about armor). I will have to try it out on my next run.

Johannes

Arcane
All the poison weapons like Tristan's basic attack still deal their upfront damage to undead, it's just the status effect component that they're immune to.

I've no doubt you could use the poison bros succesfully in very hard too, the game isn't so tough to need a tightly optimised party. And I think by the time you get Damas, there aren't that many vs undead missions remaining. Keeping a defensive position and spamming traps and arrows can work for sure, but it's tougher and slower than just murdering stuff straight up.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
I avoided poison because it doesn't work on The Lost (at least in terms of damage, I have no idea about armor). I will have to try it out on my next run.

Well, having Tristan, Lady Dindraine, Sir Damas is a pretty powerful party as they all have the Alchemist skill tree. Damas is a beast and goes into stealth with every kill. Dindraine has poison bomb as does every Marksman I think. Extremely effective against the sealie. But I am experimenting with a party of Sages as well with the Master of Ice skill tree and knights that can teleport + buff each other.

But throw in Sir Ector or Sir Dagonet with the 4x4 area effect spells and you can finish a battle before it's really begun.

I have to hand it again to Neocore - this game really is awesome. When you've got x2 poison traps going, wall of flame + fireblast in one area and Mordred shield bashes a boss into the whole conflagaration, it's just one of those moments that I never knew I needed in gaming but now stands out as a great memory. 'Little' things like that makes a great game for me.

If I had to find a flaw though, I'd say their English is a bit off. For example: "Poison skill's damage reduction is increased by 50%". Or "Movement skills can be used for movement AP" which clearly means: "Movement AP can be used for movement skills". So I'm wondering how that translates to the former sentence?. I think the Hungarian <> English app needs some more work.

Cael

Arcane
OK, Damas gets Poison Arrow and Gas Bomb, which Dindraine also get, but you get her far earlier. What am I not seeing about Damas?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
OK, Damas gets Poison Arrow and Gas Bomb, which Dindraine also get, but you get her far earlier. What am I not seeing about Damas?

He's one of the better end game archers specifically because of Low Profile and he has Crippling Shot. That's about it.

Dunno if patches changed the above though

Cael

Arcane

He's one of the better end game archers specifically because of Low Profile and he has Crippling Shot. That's about it.

Ah. I don't particularly rate those as I tend to drop archers once Guinevere or Isolde comes online, and mages tend to have Slow Hex anyway.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Ah. I don't particularly rate those as I tend to drop archers once Guinevere or Isolde comes online, and mages tend to have Slow Hex anyway.

Archers were absolute dogshit when I played, I only played around with them for laughs. This might have changed with the recent patches though, and if it did, Low Profile is definitely valuable on an archer. Probably more so than on its natural character (Vanguard), since it's easier to meet the requirements necessary to make him essentially completely ignored by the enemy.

Cael

Arcane

Archers were absolute dogshit when I played, I only played around with them for laughs. This might have changed with the recent patches though, and if it did, Low Profile is definitely valuable on an archer. Probably more so than on its natural character (Vanguard), since it's easier to meet the requirements necessary to make him essentially completely ignored by the enemy.
Still is, from what I can see. I had Yvain up until Guinevere join for real, and he wasn't really missed. Teleport really made archers superfluous as just about anything do more damage than an archer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom