Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning - remaster from THQ Nordic with Fatesworn expansion

Technomancer

Liturgist
I heard that crafting was untouched. Does is it mean that it's still broken and you can craft yourself into godmode?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I love paying for patches in 2020.

What these clowns should have done is release the patch for free because let's face it, these are FIXES not content. Paying for a FOV slider is dumb. Releasing new content and charging for it is cool, and releasing the patch prior would have been a good primer for it. But of course greedy publishers want their money up front for shit that's not out yet for another year..

It's like a patch that introduces more crashes.

39.99 USD for a game that came out in 2013.

This is essentially like when Kickstarters start a second campaign because they didn't get enough money the first time.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I heard that crafting was untouched. Does is it mean that it's still broken and you can craft yourself into godmode?

Only played for three hours but it looks like the case. the weapon I crafted was much better comparing to the purple ones I get from mission.

ArisatoSeldom

Novice
growth nullified by scaling enemies
In theory, if they have enemy scaling just to match your current level (which is fine, due to game being action combat driven with no resource management), only accounting equipment and levelup stats, while ignoring skills stat-ups and abilities, character power growth should be okay.

Anyway, thanks for info. I'll be awaiting next insights.

Sykar

Arcane

Narushima

Cipher
ES7qEFu.jpg

deama

Prophet
Alright, I have given the remaster a try. So far im only about two hours in on the new very hard mode, but it's enough for a to share my first impressions. Fortunately, my memory of the original is quite fresh as I partially replayed it in March. On the graphic's side there was no noticable change for me with the exception that UHD now works properly, i.e. it doesn't break the UI. This is enough for me as the game still looks fine thanks to the very colorful art style. There's an FOV slider now, but I haven't dabbled with that yet.
In terms of balancing the developers claim that they've rebalanced the game. In the original the "hard" difficulty was still piss easy which made the huge amount of side quests mostly pointless. "Very hard" certainly addresses that issue. The monsters pack quite a punch: the troll in the tutorial can easily remove three quarters of your health with a single hit. I've also been one-hitted by traps and a couple of wolves handed my ass to me shortly after I got out of the tower. The enemies can also take a punch, but they are not super spongey. With your shitty starting gear, you won't have a good time. Fortunately, you get a ton of (ex-dlc?) items in the first town which are a good place to start. They won't make you super strong, but will give you some decent stats and some life regeneration, so you don't have to guzzle health potions all the time. I'm glad they are there as I think the game would be too hard without them.
So far, "very hard" delivers. The big question is how meaningful your character progression will be. I'm not sure how scaling works in the remastered version, so I'm a bit worried. I want to feel my character getting strong and not have that growth nullified by scaling enemies. I'll write another post once I know more. All in all, the remaster has addressed the two most important issues for me: UHD support and difficulty. However, they could've done a lot more and the price is way too steep from my point of view.
Any update? How's the progression?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's a hot mess, not even worth the 'loyalty' discount price of $15. Certainly not worth full retail. Will be in a bundle within a year.

I didn't think the game had much merit to it back in the day. The combat system did not amaze me like how the critics wanted it to, and the rest of it felt very pointless. Admiteddly i did only play 10 hours or so. What's different now? Why would any one want to play this in 2020? Legit question.

I didn't think the game had much merit to it back in the day. The combat system did not amaze me like how the critics wanted it to, and the rest of it felt very pointless. Admiteddly i did only play 10 hours or so. What's different now? Why would any one want to play this in 2020? Legit question.
Slight difficulty changes and minor graphic changes, more crashes for some people.

This amazing patch remaster can be yours for the low low price of 15 US burgerdollars!

vmar

Savant
I honestly think the only reason I enjoyed this game somewhat back in the day was because it was one of the first games I played after quitting WoW. It's basically a single player mmo so it smoothed the transition back into the non mmo realm of gaming.

It's still a shit game though.

cpmartins

Cipher
30 hours in, Game is piss fucking easy on Very hard. I ought to just stop crafting things, might fix the difficulty. If you are thinking about starting, DO NOT LEVEL BLACKSMITH.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Any update? How's the progression?
I've had less time to play than I hoped, but I got 5 hours in so far and I'm level 7 now. You feel progress mostly due to better items and a larger health pool: Enemies will die quicker and will be less dangerous. However, once you enter a new area and meet better enemies (e.g. boggart plague bearers instead of plain boggarts) you will be back to where you started. Level ups feel kinda underwhelming as the skills aren't spectacular, but that was the same in the original version. Health regeneration is still crazy powerful so I think it is quite possible to still break the game with some crafting. The damage you get on very hard is so high that I bought health potions for the first time ever in this game. Also, I've noticed that weapons tend to break very quickly. This is annoying, but you find so many items that you usually can just equip a better item instead of reparing the on you were using. All in all, I think the progression is fine. Futher testing is still required, though.

im currently kind of playing the original version and im still in the first area and basically i just have to look at an enemy and they explode fun gibs but kinda no challenge
This is fixed in the remaster. For me this is the most important change by far. If you play the game on "very hard" you will receive a lot of damage and the enemies can take a punch as well.

SumDrunkGuy

I'm seeing conflicting posts about the difficulty. Well which is it? Is it closer to Dragon's Dogma or is it more like Barbie's Star Light Adventure?

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I'm seeing conflicting posts about the difficulty. Well which is it? Is it closer to Dragon's Dogma or is it more like Barbie's Star Light Adventure?
Normal = story mode
Hard = easy
Very hard = normal, aside from mage builds which are overpowered
You likely won't die once unless you decide to sip a coffee in the middle of the boss fight, or forget to stock insta-heal cheat potions.
If you wish to get any challenge from this game you must create your own handicaps - like no potions, no ability levelling, no equipment etc.

Last edited:

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
It's hard enough on "very hard". Boss monsters will kill you in two to three hits, so you can easily die if you're not careful. I'd recommend staying away from crafting though.

On an unrelated note, the first patch is out:
  • Stability improvements
  • Problem with enemies disappearing fixed
  • Fix for Quest loot disappearing from loot bags left from corpses
  • Fix for Invisible player character
  • Problem with submenus not working fixed
  • Clipped text in HUD fixed
  • Special delivery chest scales up to level 40 now - but still gets locked when first opened
  • Achievement / Trophy "Destiny Dominated" is now also awarded for finishing the game in Very Hard, if you create a new game.
  • Fix for getting only shields on higher levels from loot
It is really telling that the achievement for finishing the game on "Very Hard" is not fixed for existing saves. Really shows the slapdash quality of the remaster from a technical point of view.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom