Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Interview @ The Codex

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Nov 8, 2011.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: Big Huge Games; Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

<p><strong>Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning</strong>&nbsp;is an open world role-playing game currently in development at&nbsp;Big Huge Games.&nbsp;Ken Rolston, lead designer of Morrowind and Oblivion, does design duties on this title (inbetween his larping sessions), whereas&nbsp;R. A. "Drizzt"&nbsp;Salvatore contributed by thinking up the whole new Amalur universe. Ian Frazier (<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_V:_Lazarus" target="_blank">U5:Lazarus</a>) is Lead Designer of Reckoning and we deemed it a good idea to ask him some questions about the game, which is scheduled for release in February 2012 by the way.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>How awesome will the game be? What's Ian's favorite cereal? Can you play a dark elf dual-wielding scimitars? Follow Vault Dweller to&nbsp;<a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=242" target="_blank">find out the answers</a> to these and other important questions:</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p><strong>3. Talking about why you'd want people to buy your game you listed "our combat, our colorful art style&mdash;just the sheer size of the world." Is there anything for people who like RPGs?</strong></p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Combat that&rsquo;s genuinely fun, a beautiful art style, and a massive world to explore are all things for people who like RPGs! Why wouldn&rsquo;t an RPG player like these things? I&rsquo;m an RPG fanatic and I certainly enjoy them! The massive explorable world in particular is something that RPG fans tend to appreciate.&nbsp;</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>As far as other things for RPG fans, though, how about hundreds of quests to experience? Interesting characters to meet? A unique role to play in various factions? Expansive character advancement, crafting, and loot systems? We&rsquo;ve got all that, and more.</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p><a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=242" target="_blank">Read the full interview here.</a></p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>

^ Top  
  2. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    Gratz to Ian Frazier for not saying anything I could rage about :salute:

Yoda wasn't quite as passive agressive as you, VoD, just sayin'.

^ Top  
  3. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    The questions were Vault Dweller's, as I mentioned. Just sayin'.

^ Top  
  4. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    *cautiously fapping*

Glad to see Mr. Ian Frazier (and Big Huge Games) are BRO's and took the time for a codex review. :bro:

^ Top  
  5. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Interview on the codex?

brb, preordering. Not really, but the fact that they actually accepted an interview from here says that they at least think it will appeal to rpg fans.

Unless this is fake, which I still haven't written off completely.

^ Top  
  6. made Arcane

made
    lolz

I wasn't aware the Lazarus guy is behind this. Props for seeing that project through, but this game looks thoroughly uninteresting.

^ Top  
  7. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    It might be fun, an ARPG here and there doesn't kill anyone.

^ Top  
  8. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    You can't write VoD without VD...now go and correct the question. At the moment it hurts my grammar-nazi sensibilities it makes our prestigious magazin look unprofessional.

^ Top  
  9. curry Arcane

curry
    Sagecraft

:hmmm:

^ Top  
  10. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    As far as action games go, this sounds like it could be fun.

Good interview too.

^ Top  
  11. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Thumbs up for getting the interview, gonna read.

^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Ian Frazier looks kind of like Garriott's younger clone.

^ Top  
  13. Sordid Jester Educated

Sordid Jester
    That, uh.. that wasn't horrible.

In fact, it all sounded kind of nice. At the very least, makes things sound as though it could shape into a comfortably entertaining game. Interest shifted to cautiously curious.

^ Top  
  14. Sacculina Educated

Sacculina
    The utter lack of anything rage-worthy in this interview is ... suspicious.

*Updated RPG watch list. Total no. of items = 3*

Edit:
    *Updated RPG watch list. Total no. of items = 2*

^ Top  
  15. Peter Arcane

Peter
    These Kingdom of Amalur interviews are annoying me. Stop sounding reasonable! :x It will make the game more of a disappointment when it turns out to be a bastard child of Fable, Oblivion and God of War.

^ Top  
  16. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Cautiously optimistic it will be a decent ARPG. Not shelling out the $50-$60 list price, though. Good to see VD settled down after the initial browbeating. Obviously these guys have a more generalized definition of 'RPG' but that doesn't necessarily mean the game will be Oblivion levels of shallowness.

^ Top  
  17. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    He makes the game sound quite decent, actually. Not the second coming or anything, but something one could even enjoy experiencing for a while.

Unless this the familiar case of talk the talk and then horribly fail the walk the walk part.

Although, the art style still makes my head ache.

^ Top  
  18. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    They sure are confident about having the "best action-rpg combat ever!!!!!!!!" The QTE finishers give me doubts, that's going to get old fast, as always.

^ Top  
  19. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    This.

^ Top  
  20. shihonage Subscribe to my OnlyFans Patron

shihonage
    Bubbles In Memoria
    :gianthammer:

^ Top  
  21. kris Arcane

kris
    At least it seems like they avoided the "master of all things" that classless systems often fall into. At least he claims that.

^ Top  
  22. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    It will be hard to get over the stupid Mcfarlane character designs.

^ Top  
  23. JasonNH Augur

JasonNH
    I've been following this one with interest, but if I have to install EA Origin on my computer to install it, it's a no-go.

^ Top  
  24. Twinkle Liturgist

Twinkle
    Pathetic. It seems like the amount of pre-orders of their primitive, generic, derivative slashfest is so low that they are desperate enough to pander to marginal internet shitholes like RPGaydex hoping generate some positive hype from pseudo-hardcore elitists (and they are already successful as sheeple are flocking to this thread). :rpgcodex:

^ Top  
  25. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Well, it worked with Divinity 2.

Besides, half of the posts on these forums are about Skyrim and some random New Vegas DLC is going to get RPG of the year, might as well open the floodgates.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.