Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Interview @ The Codex

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Turn based cRPGs are dead with the exception of a handful of indie projects. Time to let go and realize that. You can stomp your feet, hem and haw, call people 'sheeple,' pretend like your decision not to purchase has an effect on corporate design direction, etc. etc. etc. but none of that will lead to the return of turn based cRPGs, get over it.

mondblut

Arcane
IronicNeurotic said:
Hey, I'm all for the hate but how the fuck does this make sense? Publishers don't DO RPGs anymore. Theres no way that we suddenly would get Turn-Based Hardcore RPGs if said ARPGs wouldn't be produced.

Its much more probable we would get Random Shooter #4338231 instead.

True that. But I'd rather they do their random shooters and leave RPG denomination the fuck alone.

Also, the developers' small kids occasionally found in rivers horribly mutilated might do wonders for the health of the industry. I wonder, does mr. Howard have kids? Mr. Hines? Maybe mr. Gaider?

mondblut

Arcane
Metro said:
Time to let go and realize that. You can stomp your feet, hem and haw, call people 'sheeple,' pretend like your decision not to purchase has an effect on corporate design direction, etc. etc. etc. but none of that will lead to the return of turn based cRPGs, get over it.

Oh, we do realize everything. We are just not of the mind that being regularly buttraped by a gang of niggers counts as having sex and that we are ought to learn to enjoy it since that's the only kid of it we'll ever get from now on. We'd rather sew our butts shut and die of our own venom.

But you are welcome to enjoy your niggers, sure.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
mondblut said:
True that. But I'd rather they do their random shooters and leave RPG denomination the fuck alone.

Also, the developers' small kids occasionally found in rivers horribly mutilated might do wonders for the health of the industry. I wonder, does mr. Howard have kids? Mr. Hines? Maybe mr. Gaider?

breivik.jpg
:thumbsup:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now seriously: If you want to blame some genre for the lack of true RPGs, blame MMORPGs. MMORPGs have mechanics much closer to a true RPG, and are an acceptable replacement for them for many players.

Who can say how many "true RPG" players have been siphoned out of the market by World of Warcraft, leaving only the actionfags and romancefags behind to buy single player?

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Metro said:
Turn based cRPGs are dead with the exception of a handful of indie projects. Time to let go and realize that. You can stomp your feet, hem and haw, call people 'sheeple,' pretend like your decision not to purchase has an effect on corporate design direction, etc. etc. etc. but none of that will lead to the return of turn based cRPGs, get over it.

"Grotesque Tactics 2" is not indie. Plus there are many turn-based japanese CPRGs, including a new Wizardry. You could argue that all these games are shit, except that doesn't make sense unless you think that they sell just by virtue of being shit.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Grotesque Tactics 1 and 2 are both horrible. And, yeah, they're basically indie. Look at 90% of the games Meridian 4 'publishes.'

mondblut said:
Oh, we do realize everything. We are just not of the mind that being regularly buttraped by a gang of niggers counts as having sex and that we are ought to learn to enjoy it since that's the only kid of it we'll ever get from now on. We'd rather sew our butts shut and die of our own venom.

But you are welcome to enjoy your niggers, sure.

KodexKoolKredits.PNG

thesisko

Emissary
Metro said:
Grotesque Tactics 1 and 2 are both horrible. And, yeah, they're basically indie. Look at 90% of the games Meridian 4 'publishes.'
So are you arguing that they get funding because they are horrible, and a good CRPG with the same production values wouldn't?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
thesisko said:
Metro said:
So are you arguing that they get funding because they are horrible, and a good CRPG with the same production values wouldn't?

I'm arguing it must have been a divine miracle for them to get funding because the first one was so widely panned I have no idea how they got green lit for a sequel. I would love to see the sales numbers.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
God knows how those games get funding. I guess some people just buy anything with "turn-based" in the description.

thesisko

Emissary
Metro said:
I'm arguing it must have been a divine miracle for them to get funding because the first one was so widely panned I have no idea how they got green lit for a sequel. I would love to see the sales numbers.
Well, if a divine miracle can green lit a sequel to a shitty turn-based CRPG it should be okay to dream about a decent one turning up someday, no? Unless divine miracles only reward horrible games.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6p_uanjsd0
:lol:

Very Fable, lots of rolling to counter everything. Has the addition of weapons/shields getting instant summoned when you use them though. Also, pure mages look actually viable (though very BRO ACTION FLIPS AND SHIT BRO!) and get sweet ass Xena weapons apparently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom