Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King's Bounty Armored Princess

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Not really sure if this should be in the Strategy forum, but oh well.

KB:AP will be available from Gamersgate next Friday, Nov 20, so for those of you like me who have been waiting over a year since this title was released, it's time. You get 10% off if you preorder the game.

If you liked King's Bounty: The Legend, which I know many of you did, then you should buy this game for two reasons. Firstly, it supports Katauri, a fucking fantastic Russian developer with a pedigree of success (I hear they might be doing Space Rangers 3 next), and secondly, buying games from Gamersgate is ALMOST as simple as torrenting them. It's win-win all round.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-KBAP/kings ... d-princess

:smugcodex:

Achilles

Arcane
King's Bounty was fantastic and I'll definately be bying Armored Princess. These guys are one of the few game studios that deserve our support.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
I wonder how long before they go out of business. For some reason I don't think the expansion will sell well in the United States. Hopefully they are able to do Space Rangers 3 before they get shut down. Then again, I wonder what their budgets are like. I can't imagine their games costing nearly as much as the junk U.S. game designers make now days. Maybe their ROI's are high.

Does anyone know how long this expansion has been in development?

Texas Red

Whiner
I played it in Russian and I can say it has been improved in every area from the original game.

The gameworld is divided in to numerous islands that all have a theme and a plot. In order to advance to other islands, you will need to get maps which are guarded by very strong opponents. So, you will many, many times find yourself stuck on a few islands where you will need to defeat the map guards. However, the map guards are more powerful than you and you will have employ ridiculous maneuvering, spell combinations and tactics on the battlefield. Battles are generally a lot more difficult and most of the creatures have one or more special abilities.

If you manage to defeat the guards, you get access to a new island. Possibly new treasure, new quests, new interesting plots(one island had, for example, only animals that could speak and were intelligent) etc. However, after that last battle you're practically broke with only several units in your army. Fun!

You can't nuke everyone with magic anymore. It is far more beneficial to use other spells that protect your forces or weaken the enemies. Classes are now also balanced out. Higher Magic for mages has been tweaked and mana plays a large role. You can also recruit undead and demons without penalties.

Ch1ef

Scholar
Alexandros said:
King's Bounty was fantastic and I'll definately be bying Armored Princess. These guys are one of the few game studios that deserve our support.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

getter77

Augur
Grabbed the first game on sale at GG, will likely do the same for this one as gaming cash is pretty low with all afoot lately. I do find it interesting that it seems to have evolved from being an expansion pack to a full on sequel from what I've seen across the net.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
If GG is any indication, the price is a bit high for an expansion. I'll probably grab the box version from Nobilis once it is released here, but I wonder if the price will be similar.

Multi-headed Cow

I'll wait for it to hit $15 or less on Steam like I did with the first one. First one seems like a good game, but since I'm not that big on HoMM-esque games I don't really have a burning desire to have it.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
I'm not a big HOMM player either, but the charm and presentation of the first one was just enough to get me addicted to it for a while... until I got tired of the battles. That is the biggest flaw with this game. It's basically one battle after another. I wish they had at least one other game system. Maybe having an economy, trading, or delivery quests where you didn't have to always fight. Or maybe some text quests would hide the fact that all you really do in the game is fight over and over again.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
vazquez595654 said:
I'm not a big HOMM player either, but the charm and presentation of the first one was just enough to get me addicted to it for a while... until I got tired of the battles. That is the biggest flaw with this game. It's basically one battle after another. I wish they had at least one other game system. Maybe having an economy, trading, or delivery quests where you didn't have to always fight. Or maybe some text quests would hide the fact that all you really do in the game is fight over and over again.

Yep, pretty much this. I'll probably pick it up anyway, once it comes to Steam and is on sale, or something.

It's not perfect, but it is different, and in this day and age I consider that worthy of at least a few quid.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yep it got pretty tiresome near the end... Probably should've taken it more slowly.

Qkieu

Educated
Yeah, I really enjoy KB:tL. It was first really difficult game I have played in long time. I am looking forward to this expansion.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
The game was difficult enough at first that I was kinda offended. I mean didn't they know who I was? I was a veteran computer game player. I should be pwning everything always. I love how Katauri for the most part doesn't insult your intelligence. I remember in Space Rangers 2 having to form algebraic equations to solve one of the text quests. It was easy, but completely unexpected. Didn't think a developer would have the balls to put that in there.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
vazquez595654 said:

Same. After a time, it becomes monotonous, a bit like playing Diablo in singleplayer--too one-dimensional and repetitive, not enough things to manage. An economy system is exactly what it needs.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
There's no economy system in AP, but the game is less grinding overall due to fewer battles. TL had 500+ battles; AP is like 300 max. You've got to like tactical turned based combat or there's no point playing this. But I believe it to be the best such combat system in a great many years.

1eyedking

Erudite
Why play this when there's HoMM? The music is better (MUCH better), the art direction is better, combat mechanics are better, campaigns are better...hell, even the sound effects which aren't worth mentioning are better.

But oh yeah, right, it's now cool in the Codex to like new shit and give old games the finger.

Totally forgot.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Too bad there is not much tactics involved in KB's combat...

Zhuangzi said:
You've got to like tactical turned based combat or there's no point playing this.

Unless you go for Very Easy, where winning everything with no losses is not a big deal.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
asper said:
Too bad there is not much tactics involved in KB's combat...

Bullshit there's not much tactics. There's plenty if you play on Impossible, especially if you want to minimise or eliminate losses. The difference between this and HOMM is that here the emphasis is on one hero/team, not a whole empire. At it's best, the combat in this game is very challenging. It's all tactics in KB.

1eyedking

Erudite
So basically it's a dumbed-down HoMM with shittier music and art?

Yay, meets New Codex standards!

Achilles

Arcane
1eyedking said:
Why play this when there's HoMM? The music is better (MUCH better), the art direction is better, combat mechanics are better, campaigns are better...hell, even the sound effects which aren't worth mentioning are better.

But oh yeah, right, it's now cool in the Codex to like new shit and give old games the finger.

Totally forgot.

Music, is great, art direction is great, combat is great, campaign is great. We've played HOMM to death, why is it so bad to have something new to play? Maybe you should try the game, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

relootz

Scholar
I liked KB very much. Does the expansion include KB too? Because it costs as much as a new game.. Ridicoulous price to be honest.

If not : is there going to be an edition that has them both?

relootz

Scholar
Btw JF move this to strategy gaming please.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom