Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Knights of Honor

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I enjoyed this game but I had two beefs.

Archers (especially Welsh Longbow) + Uber archer generals... were sick, no friendly fire, more damage, they were the definition of OP.

And having to conquer all the shithole provinces in Eastern Europe/Russia, even after crushing all major nations, made a game too long to finish enjoyably.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Ok I have figured this out a bit. I have won a few battles now.

But what I dont get is I still lose many battles even when I have at least even numbers and place my spearmen in the front in the right formations for defense, bowmen behind them to fire and swordmen to attack.

Doing all that Im still losing to peasant armies...what gives? Im wondering if its because of the level of influence a martial has?

I mean 3 or 4 groups of spearmen in the correct formation holding their ground for defense should be able to repel 3 or 4 groups of peasants but its not happening. Only thing I can think is I was using a new marshall without much skill.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Saxon1974 said:

But what I dont get is I still lose many battles even when I have at least even numbers and place my spearmen in the front in the right formations for defense, bowmen behind them to fire and swordmen to attack.

Doing all that Im still losing to peasant armies...what gives? Im wondering if its because of the level of influence a martial has?

I mean 3 or 4 groups of spearmen in the correct formation holding their ground for defense should be able to repel 3 or 4 groups of peasants but its not happening. Only thing I can think is I was using a new marshall without much skill.
Actually spearmen suck, but still they should be better than peasants. Thus I suppose it's either generals skill or terrain bonuses.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Malakal said:
Saxon1974 said:

Actually spearmen suck, but still they should be better than peasants. Thus I suppose it's either generals skill or terrain bonuses.

Yea I line up my spearmen to defend on on coming charge and they stink at defense. That's shouldnt be the case I dont think.

Maybe they are only good defense against Cavalry and not Peasants with their super duper pitchforks.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In KoH battles, remeber one thing: always order your units to charge instead of standing still. That gives them a small charge bonus, while standing still to defend doesn't give any bonus.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
JarlFrank said:
In KoH battles, remeber one thing: always order your units to charge instead of standing still. That gives them a small charge bonus, while standing still to defend doesn't give any bonus.

100% true. Also it seems that spear units are greatly underrepresented and underpowered in game. I'm currently playing as Latin Empire and even after building up my provinces to maximum (militarily) can only create basic spearmen.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
dragonfk said:
It's region specific. If during that historical period there were no famous spearman units on particular piece of land then you won't be able to build them there.

http://www.vojska.net/eng/games/knights-of-honor/unit/

Region wha? Did you even check that? It list's THREE spear foot units and one halberd. And none of those is awesome. This is seriously wrong for era dominated by polearm combat. It seems that developers had a massive hardon for swords and axes.

dragonfk

Erudite
I know. But you wrote about basic spear man unit. So I presumed you were speaking about the most simple unit of them all. Other than that I very much sympathize with your point of view.

Saxon1974

Prophet
That's dumb.

Spearmen are far better holding their ground and defending then charging.....Dumb.... but I still like the game.

Will have all units charge now.

dragonfk

Erudite
They have a point there. It's better to meet a charge with a charge than to stand. If you're swordsman or a knight that is. For spearman it's just dumb like you said. I think they probably run out of time during development to properly tinker with combat mechanics.

Fez

Erudite
If you're finding it hard to start with the game I seem to remember you can just keep trying a few restarts until you like your starting resources. It's been a long time since I played KOH, but I can remember it became unwieldy when the empire inevitably got larger.

I still like the art.

Ashery

Prophet
Is it just me, or is the third level of dread overpowered as hell? My hordes of Scotsmen are facing next to no resistance in their conquest of Britain as the enemy armies tend to rout shortly after the initial charges.

Also, do NOT underestimate the importance of fatigue. I was winning by a fairly large margin in a battle where I was outnumbered 2:1 (I was now outnumbering their remaining troops by the same amount) and decided to charge my tired troops headlong into their remaining forces. The result was, to put it lightly, not pretty. I was lucky that the Marshal even managed to escape.

I will say, however, that the merchants make for interesting economics as a single province can have 500+ gold production once they're able to climb the economic ladder and get trade agreements with the most powerful countries. It's actually difficult to find enough places to spend the gold when you're still on a single province. If you get into a war, or even have a sizable rebellion before this happens, though, you're pretty much fucked.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The Leadership 3/Dread 3 combo is almost mandatory when you think about it. In general, I've noticed that along with those two, there's no reason not to take March 3, Engineering 3 and Healer 3 due to the sheer all-around usefulness of all of those.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom