Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So I lost that fight. 3 fighters went one way, 3 spellcasters went the other. I'm not saying I couldn't have won that fight, but it would be nice to not be hindered by the "bad design".

Or was it just a bad choice on your part because you could have chosen not to split your party?

:philosoraptor:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Jvegi
On top of that, I think you get the exact same enemies if you don't split your party.
And there is some new encounters afterwards with the last one being optional but rewarding, well, rewarding if you could save some spells for it.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Cool, cool, cool.

Not my issue though.
There are no class indicators in the dialogue and there is no way to review the characters in dialogue.
It takes me a good few days of playing a cRPG to memorize the names and stats of my custom characters. Perhaps it's just me, but I don't think so.

It's nothing serious. Just an annoyance.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
It takes me a good few days of playing a cRPG to memorize the names and stats of my custom characters
That's way I name all my characters with class name followed by gender. Fighter Man. Monk Man. Cleric Woman. Mage Woman. This naming system has proved to be the greatest thing ever. Very easy to see character name then automatically know what their abilities are. Mage Woman's turn? Then you know you need to press C for spells!

Dorateen

Arcane
I showed the attribute indicators for conversation dialogue options in Hearkenwold, so an available class in the party would appear. In hindsight, I would have rather listed the party members name. I do refer to the name on occasion for times when the player has to select one character to perform an action.

AeZ2UEQ.jpg

Darth Canoli

Arcane
That's way I name all my characters with class name followed by gender. Fighter Man. Monk Man. Cleric Woman. Mage Woman. This naming system has proved to be the greatest thing ever. Very easy to see character name then automatically know what their abilities are. Mage Woman's turn? Then you know you need to press C for spells!

My method is using mages names for mages, warriors names for warriors, also, avatars looking the part help.
Also, most names comes from Vance novels (Simbilis or Iucounu for male mages), early Might & Magic characters (Crag Hack, Maximus, Resurrectra, Falagar, ...) some comic strip or other fantasy novels or even celtic gods.

All of them are easy enough to recognize, although, it's hard sometimes between cleric, bishop and druid so i mostly use celtic gods names for druids.

Problem solved.

Monk man, really, that's just sad...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs/posts/3282710

Update #50: KotC 2 Version 1.17 Completes Tutorial, Fixes Bugs & Adds Features!

Hello everyone! Version 1.17 of KotC 2 Augury of Chaos is now available for download here for both Windows and macOS. I've finally finished creating the Tutorial Adventure. It has a few important choices and multiple endings. You can finish the adventure around level 8. I hope you'll like it! ^_^

13b0f4167450785aff69505d836fc88b_original.png

Now I'm going to focus on completing the village content and finishing the last remaining tasks required for the official release.

List Of New Features In KotC 2 Version 1.17
  • Added a new option under the 'Display' tab of the Game Options screen allowing you to automatically add to the character's Quickbar all spell picks on level up and all new spells learnt from scrolls.
  • Added a couple of left / right buttons in the Character Sheet allowing the player to switch to the previous character / next character.
  • In the party-selection screen, added a new level-up button allowing you to level-up a selected party member without altering the character in the Character Roster file.
  • The Belt of Battle will now work with Flurry of Blows. Your Flurry attacks will benefit from the higher attack bonus, but you'll still receive only the normal number of Flurry attacks for your level.
  • Out of combat, you will no longer need to equip a Wand, or any other item that can be equipped, in order to activate it.
  • The area of effect of Earthquake, Call Lightning, Call Lightning Storm, Shadow Storm, Ice Storm, Greater Ice Storm, Thunderstorm, Fire Storm, and Sirocco will now ignore altitude.
  • The area of effect of Bard songs and spells, as well as that of any spell with the [Language] descriptor, will now cover a wider altitude range.
  • When selecting your spells in the Level Up screen, spells that match your character's attunement will be highlighted.
  • In the Level Up screen, when your Wizard or Sorcerer reaches level 15 (or higher), the tooltip message will inform you about the transformation option.
  • Sometimes, when moving near walls, certain party members would go to a position far away on the other side of the wall. This could also happen at the end of combat, especially on the Castle Map. Now they will stay near the party leader.
  • When importing scripts in the module editor, added two search boxes to facilitate the retrieval of a script based on the text you type in one of the two boxes. The first box will search in the filenames. The second box will look inside each script. For example, you want to create a new dialogue with a recruitable companion, but you don't remember what portrait to use and what music to set. So you click import script and you type the name of the companion in the second search box. The search results will give you the list of all scripts involving the companion immediately. Open one of them and then append the script commands creating a dialogue with that companion. Then you can simply edit the dialogue text in your new script.
  • Added picture search boxes in the Inventory Screen of the Module Editor, when you double click on any item slot.
  • Scripts can now grant to a new party member the same amount of Experience Points as that of the player's Avatar. The last two companions in the tutorial module make use of this.
  • Levelling-up a monster in the module editor using the player's interface will update the creature as if resting at a campfire.
47b186c4a8383c44c697b608263e3be6_original.png

List Of Bug Fixes In KotC 2 Version 1.17
  • Fixed a source of crash to desktop when using Quick Load.
  • Fixed a source of crash when a full attack triggers the effect of the Good Fortune spell.
  • Fixed an issue with dominated / controlled party members not appearing in the list of party members when you want to cast Raise Dead or a healing spell on them.
  • Fixed a bug in the position of the character token during character creation in full-screen mode.
  • Fixed a bug with the display of the Hit Point bonus modifiers in the level-up screen.
  • Fixed a bug with dialogue options giving the party a surprise round.
  • Fixed a bug with the Cloak of Blur and Cloak of Displacement not granting concealment.
  • Fixed a tooltip display problem when displaying 'Damage Reduction / -'.
  • Fixed many broken links in the help entries.
  • Fixed the attack bonus of the last attack in the Monk's Flurry of Blows chain. Also, the game will correctly check that the weapon is light and that you're not wearing armour or using a shield.
  • Fixed a bug with the AI casting spells from scrolls.
  • Fixed a bug when swapping items carried by a character in the Module Editor.
  • Fixed a bug where you could not attack some creatures by mousing over them. This would occur in battles where more enemies appear after some time.
  • Fixed a bug with enemy Monks not using Flurry of Blows.
  • Fixed some issues with enemy movement in combat for enemies with multiple attacks.
  • Fixed a bug in the Spell Quickbar in the display of a spell's casting time (move action, standard action, etc). Also fixed a few other issues with the Quickbar.
  • Fixed a bug with the main difficulty level selection box in the macOS version.
Next Steps for Knights of the Chalice 2
The coming steps are:
  • Wrap up the Village content, make sure that all quests can be completed, add encounters with the Giant Spider Prince and Xadriphar, add a few extra quests in Chapter Two and Chapter Three.
  • See if I can allow the player to save the game in places where you have to go through a long dialogue sequence before fighting, or you have to go from one fight to another without any chance to save.
  • Create new character tokens using the dialogue portraits made using the PVG assets.
  • Remove any remaining bugs. Improve the item descriptions of Magic Scrolls, Potions and Wands.
  • Add a new section in the PDF Guidebook on How to Create a New Module.
  • Add the names of Kickstarter backers to the Credits Screen. Prepare Steam and GOG Achievements.
  • Add a few new Magic Items like the Prismatic Helmet and Amulet of the Second Spell. They were mentioned in the Kickstarter update about magic items. These items would be nice to have for the Castle Map of Augury of Chaos, where you face many high-level spellcasters.
As always, if you find bugs or if you have any feedback, thoughts and suggestions, please feel free to let me know here, or in the forums, or by email at enquiries@heroicfantasygames.com.

Thank You For Your Loyal Support, Valiant Knights and Wise Wizards of the Realm! Enjoy!! ^_^

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
The area of effect of Earthquake, Call Lightning, Call Lightning Storm, Shadow Storm, Ice Storm, Greater Ice Storm, Thunderstorm, Fire Storm, and Sirocco will now ignore altitude.
That's actually a pretty strong buff. Can see Castle Siege being a bit "easier" with Area of Effect spells able to reach the towers.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Enemies that are in platforms or towers can't be targeted conventionally. So you have to expend multiple Area of Effect spells to target both units on ground and those on platforms.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
It's an optional fight in a dark corner, the only one i didn't beat yet, not that i tried very hard but with a level 1 party, there isn't much options to get through it, i'm guessing you can import characters that went through the tutorial which will probably make them level 2 before this fight, you can also level up characters on the character creation screen, i believe, never tried it but i think you can start augury of chaos with level 2 characters.

Anyway, this fight is just some extra challenge you don't have to get through, it's probably by far the hardest fight of the game with a party level 1.

I'll never understand him, most of the begginner area is reasonable then he included something absurd like that, in the very first hour of the game . To be sure people know what to expect later and can refund maybe... Really what is the purpose of this ? Everything was right then suddenly he has a nervous crisis or something and have to place an out of wack encounter.
I'll never have the answer since he only interacted with us to promote the game.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'll never understand him, most of the beginner area is reasonable then he included something absurd like that, in the very first hour of the game . To be sure people know what to expect later and can refund maybe... Really what is the purpose of this ? Everything was right then suddenly he has a nervous crisis or something and have to place an out of wack encounter.
I'll never have the answer since he only interacted with us to promote the game.

I can tell you the village area isn't finished yet and there's more to this encounter.

Humbaba

Arcane
Is this game in a Dwarf Fortress kind of situation where it's more or less a living project or is it actually still not finished after 10 years?

Mortmal

Arcane
Is this game in a Dwarf Fortress kind of situation where it's more or less a living project or is it actually still not finished after 10 years?
You can play it from the begining to the end it could be considered as a finished product even at 1.0 . Problem is only a few people here finish it as it was the hardest rpg ever released in human history. Now he revamped it a bit, and he changed the horrible pogs to 3d models . Maybe someday it will be playable to less elitist players.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Now he revamped it a bit, and he changed the horrible pogs to 3d models
you mean he changed the pogs to horrible 3d models :M

He didn't change anything, you have a choice between tokens (and can import your own or some user content), 3D models (which i don't like) and 2D sprites (not every monster has a 2D sprite yet though, as far as i know)

Also, it might be released on steam before christmas (not an official deadline).

Mortmal

Arcane
They arent bad at all those models, probably the best a lone dev can come up with .If you look at monomyth 3D models and animations its worse , but it's getting a free pass by usual codex double standards. Using those gives a more coherent look to the game. Pogs using classic fantasy art would work too.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Pogs using classic fantasy art would work too.

There's 2 packs you can use on nexusmods, one huge sprites pack on heroicfantasy games forum (i prefer Dorateen's Goldbox import by far)

Also, the Goldbox sprites used by Dorateen , I suppose it's easy enough to extract them from the mod files.

There were more packs from this thread but there's 200 pages to browse...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom