Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars KOTOR 2 - How integral is the Restored Content mod (TSLRCM) to your enjoyment of the game?

HappyDaddyWow!

Educated
Have only played vanilla KOTOR2 but when I did play it, I always felt like something was off about it. The story wasn't necessarily incomprehensible but things would happen and I felt like I never had enough context.

Just knowing the restored content mod fills the missing gaps in the story, I would recommend having it even though I've never personally used it. The gameplay is just slicing through trash mobs 90% of the time like an MMO so its not like you're playing it for the combat.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Did they ever fix the dreaded "Return to the Dantooine Jedi Enclave" permanent load screen bug?
Never encountered it, before or after the restored content mod.

So... yes.

And did you read what I posted? The content is incomplete and the restoration mod does not complete it. This is just copium from the fans to think that they can fight against gravity.
Did *you* read anything anyone else has posted? The restoration mod restores a ton of content, mouthbreather.

DicLupa

Literate
While there were a few minor changes I disagreed with here and there, I think it is worth installing just for fleshing out a playthrough. Especially if you're planning to romp through it and unlikely to pick it up again any time soon.

The Droid planet is ass, though. Steam Workshop has a version of the mod without it, thankfully.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Also, the gameplay sucks.
KotOR and KotOR 2 were okay for their time, but the controls and interface aged like milk in the sun.
The content is incomplete and the restoration mod does not complete it.
You realize that many of these projects often have the game developers working on them behind the scenes, right? They're either uncredited or use a different moniker. Given that several people from Obsidian wanted to do this in a patch but weren't allowed to do it, it wouldn't shock me if one or more of them weren't behind this mod in some fashion.

jakkis

Novice
Used to be able to easily grind lvl 50 In the dark side energy cave as sith with force storm. Light siders had to work harder with no force point regen. Dark side ought to give you easy power, modders 'fixed' this clearly intended and lore-appropriate behaviour, now my sith lord is way less omnipotent at lvl 33.

6/10, would not bang

poor utility droid has to slave away endlessly with mines instead

Beans00

Erudite
The mod adds a shitty droid section that's cancer to play. You guys know what I'm talking about. Rather play it vanilla :).

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
The mod adds a shitty droid section that's cancer to play. You guys know what I'm talking about. Rather play it vanilla :).
It didn't have the droid planet when I played with this mod, did they add it later? There must be an option to remove it, the droid planet didn't have enough assets left to be restorable.

Mauman

Learned
It didn't have the droid planet when I played with this mod, did they add it later? There must be an option to remove it, the droid planet didn't have enough assets left to be restorable.
I'm guessing Beans is talking about the droid factory.

It didn't bother me personally, but evidently a lot of people dislike it.

Technically, it's optional. Just don't do HK's side mission.

baturinsky

Arcane
Besides HK's factory, there is a droid planet quest after the Korriban. It's long and tedious, but the story and tone is interesting. Worth doing once, with a guide, but would hate to redo it.

Beans00

Erudite
Besides HK's factory, there is a droid planet quest after the Korriban. It's long and tedious, but the story and tone is interesting. Worth doing once, with a guide, but would hate to redo it.

I'm talking about hk's factory which sucked major ass. Also the korriban section sucked, I completely forgot about that. Also I remember a new part of nar shada being bad.

Sentinel

Arcane
I only play it with the restoration mod nowadays. Never installed the optional garbage they offer tho (droid factory and some other shit ass planet)

Poseidon00

Arcane
Atris and Darth Nihilus are total nonsense characters without the restoration patch, and the ending is quite bad. Some of the stuff added, like the extra dungeons, was clearly meant to be cut and the game isn't improved by its presence, but without the restoration patch the game's story flat-out doesn't work. One of the game's main villains basically doesn't exist. The ending is a complete nonsequitur.

Seriously, in the original release, Darth Nihilus is just some guy who shows up at the end and you kill.

Have only played vanilla KOTOR2 but when I did play it, I always felt like something was off about it. The story wasn't necessarily incomprehensible but things would happen and I felt like I never had enough context.

Just knowing the restored content mod fills the missing gaps in the story, I would recommend having it even though I've never personally used it. The gameplay is just slicing through trash mobs 90% of the time like an MMO so its not like you're playing it for the combat.

This is exactly how I felt upon playing the game for the first time without any mods. The story clearly suffers with these cuts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom