Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KotOR boards fun...

Deathy

Liturgist
This is a role-playing game. I pretty much expect this kind of customization. Sorry if I misunderstood what a role-playing game is about.

Yup, roleplaying games are about different looking lightsaber hilts!

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Deathy said:
This is a role-playing game. I pretty much expect this kind of customization. Sorry if I misunderstood what a role-playing game is about.

Yup, roleplaying games are about different looking lightsaber hilts!

I thought my response to him was quite fitting, although a lot friendlier than he deserved.

Deathy

Liturgist
There's no reason to be friendly to idiots, they can't really appreciate it.

Really, aren't colored lightsaber blades enough for them?

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Fuckin nimrods most of them, don't know why I even bother going to that board at all. One thing's for sure, if Bioware listens to what the people at their boards want in the game, it will end up a shitty game but at least it will have nice shiny lightsabers in all the colors of the rainbow.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
What's funny is that these people just don't get the fact that they're going to toss magic items in to the game, which more than likely means you won't be keeping that CUSTOM HILT= ROELPLAYINK because they'll be trading it up for Lightsaber +1, +3 vs. Wookies an hour in to the game.

Mistress

Liturgist
Because the game name is "Knights of the Old Republic" and not "Dress up Jedi" ...

I mean come on ... next you will see posts about wanting to be able to alter the female avatar breast size ... or the male pelvis size ...

hahahaha

Yeah, when I see the people line up for six weeks before for the new Star Wars movie, I don't think they need to get a life, I think they need to get a brain.

Have they said there really are going to be magic items? I'm going to laugh so hard if there really is a +1 lightsaber, +3 vs. Wookies. That's just so incredibly wrong.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Walks with the Snails said:
Have they said there really are going to be magic items? I'm going to laugh so hard if there really is a +1 lightsaber, +3 vs. Wookies. That's just so incredibly wrong.

There's a dev diary on RPG Vault about magic items, but they haven't said specifically that they'll be Lightsaber +1 and the like. Basically, powerful Jedi and Sith in the past have used items, and because they were so strong with the force, they imbued items with powers just by using them. :roll:

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Totally messing with what has been previously established. It's a shitty Expanded Universe invention, the whole lightsaber being connected to the force bullshit.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Azael said:
Totally messing with what has been previously established. It's a shitty Expanded Universe invention, the whole lightsaber being connected to the force bullshit.

Pretty much. It defies Obi Wan's whole, "It's the Force that binds all living things" in Star Wars. It defies the whole Midichlorins thing from Episode 1 as well.

Honestly, I think it's mainly in there because BioWare can't help themselves from dumping ph4t l3wt in their games.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
axel said:
but since the developers at bioware are star wars fans they must make diffrent hilts like a true star wars fan.

*sigh* That thread makes me sad.

They claim to be huge D&D fans as well. Given how ass their games are in respect to ph4t l3wt and combat, I can't imagine any of their D&D sessions being worth much.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
triCritical said:
Any self resecting fan of DnD would never buy another Bioware product as long as they live.

Right, can you imagine if a DM presented you with the concept of the story of any of BioWare's games? I think I'd walk out with the whole, "You are the offspring of a god." bit. It's just way too silly and too large a concept for a good roleplaying session. NWN's story was awful too. "Okay guys, we're going to be campaigning against a race of things that created all intelligent life in the Forgotten Realms." Uhhh.. Whatever you say, chief. If you need me, I'll be anywhere but here.

triCritical

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
NWN's story was awful too. "Okay guys, we're going to be campaigning against a race of things that created all intelligent life in the Forgotten Realms." Uhhh.. Whatever you say, chief. If you need me, I'll be anywhere but here.

OK we all know that Bioware games have bad stories. But don't forget they also have the worst implementation. OK I am in an academy of adventurers and they get worked by goblins that have an average of 1-2 hitpoints. Oh and what a smart thing to do, find adventurers to stop a plague. Or maybe Bioware does not know the difference between antibiotics and adenvturers. And if they would have implemented sense motive, the game would have been over before it started. When I heard a Dev say, the story gets better, I knew I made a mistake in purchasing this product.

Still I hear people say that they like Bioware games, because of there great story driven mechanics. I honestly think, they are a wordy Blizzard.

axel

Liturgist
Yeah that was totally awesome how I saw how the ending of the first act was gonna be ... just on my own. Not character skills involed. Just one horriably predictable plot.

Jed

Cipher
Yeah, that Desther chump had my Ranger Sense all a'tingling in the first act. Too bad I couldn't do a damn thing about anything, such as warning the other people or just taking out the trash myself....

J

Spazmo

Erudite
The first act was so digustuingly heavy-handed. You would kill a group of assassins, and one of them carries a note that says, "Kill the meddlesome adventurer, [charnamehere], before he interferes with our plan to destroy Neverwinter using the plague! And don't let him find this note because if he does, he'll instantly know what our plot is and who's behind it.

-D [GEE I WONDER WHAT THAT COULD STAND FOR?!]"

Then you take the note to Desther, say you've found evidence of the conspirators, to which he responds, "This is nothing. Don't investigate this. Oh, and I'm certainly not the bad guy here. No-sirree. Not me. Nuh-uh. Never. Wouldn't know how to do evil."

What really bugs me about NWN is how Aribeth and all the other important NPCs level up every act despite never leaving their house. Why not just make them level 20 right from the start?

Saint_Proverbius said:
Right, can you imagine if a DM presented you with the concept of the story of any of BioWare's games? I think I'd walk out with the whole, "You are the offspring of a god." bit. It's just way too silly and too large a concept for a good roleplaying session. NWN's story was awful too. "Okay guys, we're going to be campaigning against a race of things that created all intelligent life in the Forgotten Realms." Uhhh.. Whatever you say, chief. If you need me, I'll be anywhere but here.

I don't know, from what I've seen of Forgotten Realms, it seems to be par for the course. How many of the gods were former mortals? It seems in FR, when you get high-level, you don't retire, you just scheme to off a deity or two and take their place. :roll: Or else if by some strange reason that doesn't suit your tastes, you hit upon the secrets to immortality and just pop up once in a while to annoy everyone.

Really, I did think the background was a little over the top when I first played BG, that they seemed to be trying a little too hard to make you feel important. I also would have expected the child of a god to be one tough SOB, not just some dude who gets to reroll his stats until the player's patience runs out and then pick up a handful of low-level cleric spells as special abilities. I don't really mind games where you start off head and shoulders above all the riff-raff, but the game needs to take that into account and not start you off as the typical weakling who will get killed by a pack of hobgoblins. I really wouldn't mind playing a game where you get to play a fallen god or half-dragon or half-celestial or something similarly munchkinesque if the whole game was actually geared and balanced towards that and gave you real role-playing opportunities to match and not just your typical kill the bad guys and take all their stuff adventure with fed-ex quests thrown in for fun.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Spazmo said:
Then you take the note to Desther, say you've found evidence of the conspirators, to which he responds, "This is nothing. Don't investigate this. Oh, and I'm certainly not the bad guy here. No-sirree. Not me. Nuh-uh. Never. Wouldn't know how to do evil."

Yeah, it's pretty friggin' obvious to anyone with any sense. What really gets me though is that if you have a high wisdom, it flat out tells you that Desther is a bad guy through the whole act. Every time you got one of those notes with a high wisdom, the dialogue was something like:

You: Hey, Desther, aren't you an evil shithead?

Desther: How dare you accuse me of being an evil shithead!

Fenthick: Oh, I'm sure he didn't mean it, Desther.

*End Dialogue*

What the hell is that? OF COURSE I MEAN IT! I have a high charisma, I have a maxed out Persaude skill.. Why the hell can't I just say, "Yes, I mean it! Look at all this evidence here!"?

Walks with the Snails said:
I don't know, from what I've seen of Forgotten Realms, it seems to be par for the course. How many of the gods were former mortals? It seems in FR, when you get high-level, you don't retire, you just scheme to off a deity or two and take their place. :roll: Or else if by some strange reason that doesn't suit your tastes, you hit upon the secrets to immortality and just pop up once in a while to annoy everyone.

Well, those people are supposed to be... SPECIAL. It's not something your average adventurer is supposed to obtain, really.

Really, I did think the background was a little over the top when I first played BG, that they seemed to be trying a little too hard to make you feel important. I also would have expected the child of a god to be one tough SOB, not just some dude who gets to reroll his stats until the player's patience runs out and then pick up a handful of low-level cleric spells as special abilities. I don't really mind games where you start off head and shoulders above all the riff-raff, but the game needs to take that into account and not start you off as the typical weakling who will get killed by a pack of hobgoblins. I really wouldn't mind playing a game where you get to play a fallen god or half-dragon or half-celestial or something similarly munchkinesque if the whole game was actually geared and balanced towards that and gave you real role-playing opportunities to match and not just your typical kill the bad guys and take all their stuff adventure with fed-ex quests thrown in for fun.

That's what got me about it. If I'm an offspring of a god, then why the hell aren't I special? How come I have absolutely nothing in the way of godly powers or anything? Why am I just as weak as every other person that was born naturally?

Planescape: Torment was excellent at making the Nameless One a special case, really. I never felt like it was just an overly silly concept thrown in to make me feel more important than I really was.

Vikjunk

Novice
Azael said:
Fuckin nimrods most of them, don't know why I even bother going to that board at all. One thing's for sure, if Bioware listens to what the people at their boards want in the game, it will end up a shitty game but at least it will have nice shiny lightsabers in all the colors of the rainbow.

Oo oo, can I get one in pink? And if not how about aqua marine? ;)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I also would have expected the child of a god to be one tough SOB, not just some dude who gets to reroll his stats until the player's patience runs out and then pick up a handful of low-level cleric spells as special abilities

If I'm an offspring of a god, then why the hell aren't I special? How come I have absolutely nothing in the way of godly powers or anything? Why am I just as weak as every other person that was born naturally?

Yeah, that kinda ruins the whole experience. There is absolutely no point in playing a child of god if the only manifestation of that is an occasional dialogue line. I don't mind, in fact I would even prefer to play an ordinary Joe the adventuring dude, but if I am offered to play a Bhaal's spawn I expect a plot worthy of my dad's name.

How about, a plot where you start manifesting abilities becoming tougher then any or most humans (but still requiring their help as friends or worshipers) and still having lotsa relatives and family friends to deal with. Princes of Amber come to mind :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom