Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview KotOR E3 gander up at MixnMojo

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

There's a <a href="http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/site/resource.php?feature=/e32003/knights/knights">preview</a> based on some E3 fun they had with <a href="http://www.swkotor.com">Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic</a>. Here's a bit about what the <A href="http://www.mixnmojo.com">MixnMojo</a> guys saw of the combat in the title:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><i>Combat</i>: The combat in Star Wars Knights is unique. It's a true mix of real-time fighting and more traditional turns-based rules. But how the heck does that even work? Basically, when you run into "hostile" characters, you can engage them immediately, flaring up your lightsabers and charging in. The members of your party (there can be two companions at a time in Knights) will rush in to your defense, or hang back and take pot-shots at the hostiles, depending on his or her individual style. However, the guy who was demo-ing the game hit "pause", which not only gives the player a nice 360° view of the battle, but also opens up a menu of special fighting commands and "spells" (force powers), where the main character and his/her companions' attacks can be micromanaged. What amazed me is that players really have a choice about how they want to play these combat sequences. For people who are more fans of direct action, they can just run in and start swinging, occasionally throwing in a disabling force attack. The companions will help you out by way of AI, until you instruct them who and how to attack. Hardcore RPGers will be satisfied because the fights can be paused at any moment to adjust the commands and take much more control over the actions of the character and his party. I was very impressed with this, overall.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Unique, yet seen before in all the other <A href="Http://www.bioware.com">BioWare</a> games.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <A href="Http://www.ve3d.com">VoodooExtreme</a>.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
Hunh? Am I missing something? This guy writes as tho he has never seen anything like this but from what I can tell, as Saint points out, this is exactly the way Bioware games have worked for *years*.
christ, just goes to show how insulting gaming "journalism" is generally. Most of the time sites and mags seem to serve as no more than PR machines for whatever we are supposed to believe is hot.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
This is disgusting. It's not about real-time vs turn-based, but about morons who write articles and disgrace gaming journalism. The guy either a clueless morons who's never played games before which is no excuse as he should have done some research or he's a part of the hype generating machine with all assumptions that these statement could lead to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom