Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Krater Announced

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
<p>Swedish developer <a href="http://www.fatshark.se/" target="_blank">Fatshark</a> announced that they're developing a deep, post-apocalyptic, party-based, isometric RPG called <strong>Krater</strong>.  This sounds too good, there must be something fishy going on.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Here's the press-release, taken from Gamebanshee because the Codex is not important enough to receive press releases from Fatshark.</p>
<p> </p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>FATSHARK ANNOUNCE KRATER &ndash; A DEEP EXPERIENCE</strong></p>
<p> </p>
<p>STOCKHOLM, Sweden. November 3, 2011. Today Fatshark announced Krater &ndash; a new action role-playing game due for 2012.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>&ldquo;We are proud to announce a game that has been on our minds for over 10 years. We have always been fans of the classic top down RPGs, and have wanted to make this game since we started out in the games business.&rdquo; says Martin Wahlund, CEO and Executive Producer, Fatshark.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Krater is Swedish for Crater, and the name gives a hint of the setting of the game.  Krater is a lush post-apocalyptic top down RPG and the base pillars are crafting, exploration and consequence. Consequence brings not only the ability for the characters to level up and improve themselves, but also permanent injuries and death. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>&ldquo;One of our main goals in the development of Krater is to involve gamers at a very early stage.&rdquo; says Victor Magnuson, Game Designer Fatshark. &ldquo;We're really looking forward to seeing the fans response to what we are showing, and are ready to act on any feedback given to us throughout the lifespan of this project. We invite everyone to visit Kratergame.com and be part of the creation of Krater.&rdquo;</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sign up on Kratergame.com to give feedback and to get early access to Krater &ndash; www.kratergame.com.
<p> </p>
<p>To get the latest info on all Fatshark activities, follow us on www.twitter.com/fatsharkgames (@fatsharkgames) and www.facebook.com/fatsharkgames (/fatsharkgames).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>About Fatshark</p>
<p>Fatshark is located in Stockholm, Sweden and is comprised of experienced and skilled developers. The company has been involved as subcontractors i n a number of AAA titles for consoles and PC as well as developed their own IP&rsquo;s such as Lead and Gold, and Hamilton&rsquo;s Great Adventure. For more information, visit www.fatshark.se.
</blockquote>
<p> </p>
<p>Here's a video introduction explaining the game a bit:</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p style="text-align: center;">
<object width="640" height="390" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/FWip8Q9NGhs?version=3&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />
<param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FWip8Q9NGhs?version=3&feature=player_embedded" />
<param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" />
</object>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/105566-krater-announced.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Norfleet

Obvious fake. Video is blatantly shooped. Clear and obvious vaporware.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Looks promising although don't misunderstand what they mean by 'party based' -- it seems to be more suggestive of co-op multiplayer versus one person creating and controlling an entire party. Basically a Diablo clone with some emphasis on questing versus straight up loot grinding. So, yeah, it's an RPG inasmuch as Diablo is an RPG.

As far as their past projects Lead and Gold was pretty much a flop. No clue about Hamilton's Adventure as I still use XP. Oh, and as mentioned on their website, it looks like it might be a Steamworks exclusive so commence the hand wringing.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Colour me a sceptic. There's something about this that rubs me the wrong way. Might be the Diablo-vibe it's giving off.

Satan

Educated
Another action RPG? Is there not enough of them released every year already? What about making an actual CRPG?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm aware that shovelware like this gets released in Russia all the time, looks like Sweden's joining in.
Monitor and manage aggro and threat levels, boost and buff, deal damage and use crowd control abilities to ensure that your squad will triumph on the beautifully rendered battlegrounds.
"So I woke up the other day, and decided I really want to make a post-apocalyptic MMO without the first M."

Seems closer to isometric from the video (though going by the early stage of development, it has to be a mock-up). Also 2 different types of perma-death to be implemented:
- overall limit to number of times a character can get KO'd in combats over the course of the game before the character is perma-killed;
- some dungeons enforce perma-death in addition to the overall KO limit.
- intention is that at least some of the side-quests will be sufficiently hard that taking them on means a real risk of losing characters, evened out by the ability to hire higher-level recruits to guard against getting pwned and having characters perma-killed (presumably at the cost of $$$ or loot).

Sounds good, but if they're only just going into production now, then it's way too early to start developing expectations for the game. Worth checking in a year or so to see how development is progressing.

Christopher V. Brady

Barely Literate
Sounds like shit to be honest. Where the fuck are all the people who grew up with turnbased games? Did we skip couple of generations while I slept or something?

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
So.. Anyone know what "Dunions" are? He mentions them once or twice :P

Anyway.. Concept art looks a bit goofy, imo.
I hear alot of promises i heard before from other devs, so i won't "buy" what he says for the time being.
I bet it's going to be a Facebook game or some shit, Or it will end up totally different (Like Afterfall).

Satan

Educated
GOD, get the fuck out of the codex, this is my place.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have a friend with connections to fatshark. Gonna see what I can dig up.

kraters developers listed this as his main influences:

"I would like to mention two games that inspires me in the work with Krater.

Fallout(1 & 2) and the original XCOM.

I could just as well add the Baldur's Gate games as well."

:salute:

All is not lost. I suggest the Codex infiltrate their forum. It does not seem very active and we could make all sorts of :obviously: suggestions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom