Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Kreia gonna carry me to my grave

J1M

Arcane
Dnny said:
Gaining influence with Kreia was pointless and nearly automatically meant losing influence with all the other NPC because she's an expert in annoying everyone. As what she had to say in the dialogues that required influence checks didn't matter much, well fuck her.
Also, she's a villain, plain simple. Not in the SW sense but still a villain. She wants to destroy all of the force and wanted to kill both all the jedi and the sith, she's even more dangerous than the sith themselves (not the "ancient sith" crap we keep hearing about but never actually see).
If you play dark side you may not realize that she tricked you so you could let her kill all of the remaining jedi, which she does with her own hands when you are light side and let them live.

The sith just want to rule over an empire, Kreia dreams of mass murdering force users, who are the real villains ? Malak is a power hungry fascist, Kreia sounds like she wants to genocide just because she suffered in her life as a force user.
Someone remind me how she would be able to kill all force users. As I remember she is less powerful than the player, so...

Dnny

Educated
J1M said:
Dnny said:
Gaining influence with Kreia was pointless and nearly automatically meant losing influence with all the other NPC because she's an expert in annoying everyone. As what she had to say in the dialogues that required influence checks didn't matter much, well fuck her.
Also, she's a villain, plain simple. Not in the SW sense but still a villain. She wants to destroy all of the force and wanted to kill both all the jedi and the sith, she's even more dangerous than the sith themselves (not the "ancient sith" crap we keep hearing about but never actually see).
If you play dark side you may not realize that she tricked you so you could let her kill all of the remaining jedi, which she does with her own hands when you are light side and let them live.

The sith just want to rule over an empire, Kreia dreams of mass murdering force users, who are the real villains ? Malak is a power hungry fascist, Kreia sounds like she wants to genocide just because she suffered in her life as a force user.
Someone remind me how she would be able to kill all force users. As I remember she is less powerful than the player, so...

By manipulating the exile into doing it. You don't even remember why she likes the exile so much ? the exile supposedly has that kind of power that would be able to create an "echo" that would hurt all force users over the galaxy. The other jedis hates you for that same reason as they try to strip you of your powers when you are light sider and united them in Dantooine.

Kreia never intended to kill you. As the end "boss" she's more of a "suicide boss". She thinks of the exile as a gift to the universe and a special talent that should be preserved, something that goes beyond the powers of both jedi masters and the siths.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
To be honest, Kreia is one of the best/better villains since Joneleth Irenicus, in modern day cRPG's (circa 1999).

Was she written PERFECT? no.

That said, as for how she was presented to us, as players was pretty damn good. I have yet to see a better villain in an cRPG since. DA included.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Then, you haven't been paying attention. NWN2 OC's Shadow King was fuckin' just as good FFS.

Dnny said:
By manipulating the exile into doing it. You don't even remember why she likes the exile so much ? the exile supposedly has that kind of power that would be able to create an "echo" that would hurt all force users over the galaxy. The other jedis hates you for that same reason as they try to strip you of your powers when you are light sider and united them in Dantooine.
Damn Kreia for trying to destroy a force which fuels wars and genocide and literally tears the universe apart! What a fiend!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Volourn said:
Then, you haven't been paying attention. NWN2 OC's Shadow King was fuckin' just as good FFS.

I cannot believe you just stated that........ :shock:

I purposefully kept that out. Well said Volo.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Dnny said:
J1M said:
Dnny said:

Kreia never intended to kill you. As the end "boss" she's more of a "suicide boss". She thinks of the exile as a gift to the universe and a special talent that should be preserved, something that goes beyond the powers of both jedi masters and the siths.

As far as I know, there is no reason to believe that Kreia wanted anyone to die. She wanted the whole galaxy to experience what the Exile experienced at Malachor V through a force echo, which made him turn away from the force. I imagine she just wanted the galaxy deafened to the force in the same manner as the Exile. Furthermore, I believe it's important to differentiate between the two different force wounds that exist in the game, Nihilus and The Exile. Nihilus wound was of the nature that it would kill everything through the force, like a massive Drain Life, while the Exiles wound was just him being deafened to the force and at most, leaching some force of other force users. Theoretically, if she wanted to kill the whole galaxy she would have used Nihilus instead, but since she used the Exile it's plausible that she just wanted everyone to turn away from the force.

Dnny

Educated
Lockkaliber said:
As far as I know, there is no reason to believe that Kreia wanted anyone to die.

Wut ? She could just have hurt the jedis in dantooine to save your ass instead of killing them on the spot.
She kills all the remaining jedis if you play light side, if you are darkside you killed them with your own hands and she gets butthurt because she wanted them to understand her teachings before they died.
She wanted to wipe both all of the jedis and the siths. If you don't believe me go play KOTOR2 again and listen carefuly to her speeches.

She wanted the whole galaxy to experience what the Exile experienced at Malachor V through a force echo, which made him turn away from the force. I imagine she just wanted the galaxy deafened to the force in the same manner as the Exile.

She wanted to clean the galaxy from force users, not just deafen. Cutting people from the force was something that could be done with regular jedi master powers and it was in fact what they tried to do to the Exile if the exile was on the light side.

Furthermore, I believe it's important to differentiate between the two different force wounds that exist in the game, Nihilus and The Exile. Nihilus wound was of the nature that it would kill everything through the force, like a massive Drain Life, while the Exiles wound was just him being deafened to the force and at most, leaching some force of other force users. Theoretically, if she wanted to kill the whole galaxy she would have used Nihilus instead, but since she used the Exile it's plausible that she just wanted everyone to turn away from the force

First, she didn't want to kill the whole galaxy, she wanted to kill FORCE USERS.
Nihilus and the Exile have the same potential and powers, the only difference is that Nihilus doesn't control himself anymore, his hunger dominates his mind. The Exile, like Nihilus, can feed on the death of others, if you play dark side and slay the jedi masters you get bonus force points from their death.

Nihilus was what the Exile could have been if the Exile hadn't cut himself from the force in Malachor V and let this power take over. Fear of this power is what has made the Exile cut himself from the force and turn deaf to it for a time.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think one of the best parts about Kreia is that her philosophy generates debates like this.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Dnny said:
Wut ? She could just have hurt the jedis in dantooine to save your ass instead of killing them on the spot.
She kills all the remaining jedis if you play light side, if you are darkside you killed them with your own hands and she gets butthurt because she wanted them to understand her teachings before they died.
She wanted to wipe both all of the jedis and the siths. If you don't believe me go play KOTOR2 again and listen carefuly to her speeches.

When I said there is no reason to believe that Kreia wanted anyone to die, I obviously wasn't referring to the people she killed during the game. Those were necessary to root out the last of the flawed teachings of both the Jedi and the Sith. What I meant was the endgame at Malachor V, and her plans for the Exile. That she killed of the Jedi at Dantooine doesn't really prove anything. In any case, deafening them to the force would "kill of" the Jedi and the Sith just as surely as draining them of life. If you remember her speeches on skill, and how Jedi are too dependent on the force, you should be able to follow me here.

Dnny said:
She wanted to clean the galaxy from force users, not just deafen. Cutting people from the force was something that could be done with regular jedi master powers and it was in fact what they tried to do to the Exile if the exile was on the light side.

Cutting someone off from the force isn't possible on that scale, and it isn't the same as deafening them to it. If you knew the game as well as you think you do, you would know that Kreia explains that the Exile is the only one who ever freely turned away from the force, thereby deafening himself to it. This in combination with the Exiles extremely potent force bonds and the wound in the force caused by the destruction of Malachor V was meant to create an echo of Malachor V in every force user, forcing them to make the same choice as the Exile did, thereby deafening them to it.

Dnny said:
Fear of this power is what has made the Exile cut himself from the force and turn deaf to it for a time.

That's pretty much bullshit. The Exile cut himself from the Force at the moment Malachor V was destroyed because he made force bonds so easily, and felt the deaths of everyone much stronger than any other force user present. It's ridiculous to think that he somehow could have known the power of the force wound at the instant it happened, when the rest of the game is pretty much finding out what one is. The Masters even say that the Exile created bonds much faster and much more powerful than other Jedi. That was his talent.

Also, the plural of Jedi is Jedi. Same goes for Sith.

-Pavlos-

Novice
Lockkaliber said:
Kreia is a serious contender for best written video game character of all time.

OF ALL TIME.
I think it's as much Kestelman's acting as it is Avellone's writing, to be honest. She's in a few plays on Radio 4 over here: a vastly underused actress. My lasting impression of Kreia is the way in which the lines were read, I'll be honest; and I love the character.

On Kreia being made out of disused ideas for Ravel: She may have grown from Ravel's "left overs" but that doesn't necessarily mean she wasn't every bit as compelling (if not more so) as her predecessor. What factors go into that possibility, naturally, depend on the player.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The fact you thinbk Kreia is as awesome as Ravel shows that you are full of shit.

Kreia is a useless piece of shit compared to ravel.

Kreias: Horrible creatures. Avoid them when you can.

Aditya

Educated
Kz3r0 said:
Dnny said:
Kreia is a butthurt anarchist who made plenty of mistakes in her past, had lots of regrets and thought the best way to deal with it was to genocide anything that had to do with her past life. She's a schizophrenic psychotic and emo old bitch who couldn't stay loyal to an order and could never figure out what her own basic desires were.
I know, great character, isn't she?

Lol..pwned! :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom