Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Lays of Evenheart - Vapourware

Calcium

Educated
If you don't mind me asking, what actually constitutes development costs with this sort of game?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Fixed as of today. I want flanking to be an important mechanic so I can't let the player camp in the corner of the map.

Solution: A border that players cannot move through, but AI-controlled units can.
New-Project-copy.png

Unintended feature: While testing I found that players can still move beyond the border as long as it's to come back into the main battlefield. I like this feature, so I'm keeping it as long as it doesn't cause any bugs.
New-Project.png

It's alive!
Your engine is creating new features by itself, now you're a true pioneer.

On a serious note, I can't think of a game, except by having infinite battlefields, ever having this feature (part of the movement outside the screen)

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
How are you handling the pathfinding for the large creature? How many tiles does it occupy?
Looking great! Cheers!

Thanks! Large multi-tile units are what I'm working on right now. I've decided to implement my own pathfinding because I'm hitting limitations in the official Godot one (or I simply can't figure out a workaround). Large creatures occupy a shape of connected tiles, but the top-left tile will be the reference tile. Pathfinding is done by checking if a path is valid not only for reference tile but also for each other tile of the creature. There are many challenges remaining but it'll be worth it, just look at how intimidating and imposing that ogre looks :)

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
How are you handling the pathfinding for the large creature? How many tiles does it occupy?
Looking great! Cheers!

Thanks! Large multi-tile units are what I'm working on right now. I've decided to implement my own pathfinding because I'm hitting limitations in the official Godot one (or I simply can't figure out a workaround). Large creatures occupy a shape of connected tiles, but the top-left tile will be the reference tile. Pathfinding is done by checking if a path is valid not only for reference tile but also for each other tile of the creature. There are many challenges remaining but it'll be worth it, just look at how intimidating and imposing that ogre looks :)
I see. I've attempted this in the past and concluded that even if I check each tile composing the creature's area it won't simulate accurately the area needed to move it around, since pathfinding calculation is still 1 tile in size going through narrow passages. A common solution I've found was having another larger grid on top of the smaller one, just to be used by larger creatures.

Another more complex solution is calculating the position of all tiles matching the area that the creature would occupy, whenever the main pathfinding tile thread advances 1 tile towards the destination tile. (A bit hard to explain without images).

Let us know if you manage to pull this off. Cheers!

Last edited:

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Is STR affected by sex?

Males receive 3x as much strength exp as females.

Do the females get anything as a compensation?

I thought I would come back to this. New values:

Male - 1.5x strength exp modfier
Female - 1.1x longer lifespans (and a decreased ageing penalty), 1.1x chance of surviving disease, x3 charisma exp modifier

First off, I think in almost all RPGs male and females should be equal - the exception being if it forces the player to make interesting strategical decisions. In my game players won’t be able to choose which child will be their ‘heir’ aka which one they’ll play as in their next life, so there’s a 50-50 chance they’ll be playing as a male or female. This encourages players to try different playstyles.

Second, in Lays of Evenheart all playstyles are viable whatever sex you end up with, but definitely not optimal. However keep in mind, some professions (not combat classes; literally jobs) within those playstyles are gender-locked.

Females can still become badass adventurers. They’re just as good as males when it comes to mage/cleric/pure-ranged builds. They're unoptimised but still extremely useful as spellswords and paladins (magic is so rare and powerful in my game, you're not going to care if you're male or female - if you're magic-sensitive you'll want to become a mage). They will have to work a bit harder if they want to be a pure-melee or melee/ranged-hybrid build, but a good weapon and melee training matter more than raw strength.

Last edited:

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Prepare to lose 7% of your strength and dexterity per year once you’re considered ‘declining’. For all races this is 1/2 the maximum male lifespan. For humans, this is 45 years old.
Screen-Shot-2022-03-16-at-5-15-51-pm.png

Once you reach the age considering 'elderly', 2/3rds the maximum male lifespan (60 years for humans), you can no longer gain new strength or dexterity exp. Watch your legendary heroes waste away into clumsy feeble old-timers.

There’s also an adolescence bonuses for ages 13-18. The youngest a player/partymember can be is 13 years old.
Fun fact: I was going to call this a puberty bonus, but I don’t want to make new players think ‘wtf am I playing’
Screen-Shot-2022-03-16-at-5-20-10-pm.png

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Is STR affected by sex?

Males receive 3x as much strength exp as females.

Do the females get anything as a compensation?

I thought I would come back to this. New values:

Male - 1.5x strength exp modfier
Female - 1.1x longer lifespans (and a decreased ageing penalty), 1.1x chance of surviving disease, x3 charisma exp modifier

First off, I think in almost all RPGs male and females should be equal - the exception being if it forces the player to make interesting strategical decisions. In my game players won’t be able to choose which child will be their ‘heir’ aka which one they’ll play as in their next life, so there’s a 50-50 chance they’ll be playing as a male or female. This encourages players to try different playstyles.

Second, in Lays of Evenheart all playstyles are viable whatever sex you end up with, but definitely not optimal. However keep in mind, some professions (not combat classes; literally jobs) within those playstyles are gender-locked.

Females can still become badass adventurers. They’re just as good as males when it comes to mage/cleric/pure-ranged builds. They're unoptimised but still extremely useful as spellswords and paladins (magic is so rare and powerful in my game, you're not going to care if you're male or female - if you're magic-sensitive you'll want to become a mage). They will have to work a bit harder if they want to be a pure-melee or melee/ranged-hybrid build, but a good weapon and melee training matter more than raw strength.
I like your approach. I think it's nice that someone at least tries to make men and women different in realistic(-ish) way but at the same time both being viable. Of curse i would make women worse in (almost)any adventuring role, except maybe magical ones - but only when it comes to the magic itself. But it is still great the way you do it.

I hope that you can make the multi tiles creatures work. Many computer games with grid movement lack that feature. But it is great, as you said the ogre/giant thing looks nice and occupying more space potentially adds some additional options in game. Good luck with that. And with with everything else!

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Women should have a longer lifespan.
They already have in game.
From the point of view of realism in a pre-industrial society women didn't necessarily had longer life expectancy than men due to high mortality in childbirth. Men on the other die slightly more often in infancy and generally have more dangerous occupations.
Hard to know for sure, most good statistical info we have on old societies goes back (at best) to ~18th century. At least in Europe, not sure about Far East. Everything past that point is either fragmentary, derived from sources that were used for other purposes (like taxes) or from archaeology.
Sorry for the nerd/historian rant.

However this game is NOT a simulation, lol.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I see you have a typo there, it's spelled "aging"

Ageing for british english, Aging for american english. In Australia we use british english but the internet has taught me to use many words the american english way. I end up using both interchangeably.

I hope that you can make the multi tiles creatures work. Many computer games with grid movement lack that feature. But it is great, as you said the ogre/giant thing looks nice and occupying more space potentially adds some additional options in game. Good luck with that. And with with everything else!

Thanks man, I'm not going to lie it's very hard to modify my implementation to include large units, it would have been so much easier if I had planned for large units from the start... at the time I just assumed future me would figure it out. It's going to be a nightmare in terms of bugs. BUT I've got large player-controlled units working, large ai-controlled units are coming soon. Then I have all those bugs to fix.
LARGE UNITS CONFIRMED

Are you going to include further biological variation e.g., some people are naturally stronger or quicker?

Yeah, there's a few genetic traits in there.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Hey all, despite some massive leaps forward in development recently (the combat engine is 90% finished), the project is now going on an indefinite hiatus. Mostly due to life and career stuff. I’m going to put ‘vaporware’ in the title so that no new readers get disappointed after being interested.

The last thing I’ll say is that if development one day continues or some kind of spiritual successor is made, it will be back better than ever :)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey all, despite some massive leaps forward in development recently (the combat engine is 90% finished), the project is now going on an indefinite hiatus. Mostly due to life and career stuff. I’m going to put ‘vaporware’ in the title so that no new readers get disappointed after being interested.

The last thing I’ll say is that if development one day continues or some kind of spiritual successor is made, it will be back better than ever :)
"Don't believe his lies"

Aemar

Arcane

I pre-ordered the game, you can't just back out now. Who do you think you are? Ceres Games?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom