Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock 2 is worth playing now that there are some good mods!

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You see where this is going? :P

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah in this game you need to dodge around, which sucks. But if you get a mod called Magic of Grimrock it makes it a much better game. It adds lots of new spells including healing and one that sends all damage to your tank etc. You still need to run around at the start but eventually you can stand toe to toe with enemies and use magic to deal with things. I love it. It adds some extra puzzles and gear too. The only problem is that the casting system in the game is retarded so you need to remember several of those rune shapes and then be able to cast them when you are under pressure. Although I got some macro software and set it up to cast them for me with the press of a button.
Ahh looking back I see the downvotes were likely not about this mod, but about me being too lazy / unskilled to dodge.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Well I'm not, I completed this unmodded and plenty of similar ones, but moving a square every few seconds is hardly taxing, it is just mindless and a sign the combat is shallow!

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Taking this as a general LoG 2 modded thread:

I just dropped Legend of Grimrock 2, The Lost City.
I picked this up because it was by the guy who made the Eador Strategy RPGs on Steam.
It is fairly good, but quite different from the main game. It feels entirely balanced around dancing around enemies, even on normal. In the base game many fights can be one by just trading blows with the enemy, even on hard. Here you really need to dance around and charge blows, also kite a lot with spells and missiles. Also the main game is overloaded with small riddles and clever tile puzzles. Here it is all about finding hidden buttons and keys which you need to apply in different places. So it feels a lot less Grimrock, and a lot more just general exploration rpg.
My biggest gripe with it was the way the loot was sprinkled about. Some of the few actually clever puzzles have atrocious rewards (like one +1 Strength permanent potion and a piece of cheese), while continuing the main game by unlocking wind gates can give you an entire upgraded armor all at once.
This is because the game actually has a currency system (gems) and a quest system. I do not think they fit the core engine all that much overall.
Despite some warnings I received food is absolutely abundant, especially if you trade in a few blue gems for more food.
Overall this made the mod feel a lot more like a normal rpg with real time blobber combat, and a lot less like Grimrock. I actually like both Grimrocks a lot, so this was not what I am searching for.
Still a very high quality mod, and worth playing for people with more patience than me.
After 12 hours or so I had a party of level 12, and I think I finished more than half of the mod.
Recommended, but not for everyone, and especially not for me.
Also a small warning, keep all skulls you collect because one puzzle needs them, watch carry weight, this mod overloads you with loot, and absolutely get the water breathing spell, it is essential.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=333265124

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I also picked up Lost City. It truly is a high-effort mod, and I welcome its more streamlined fashion. I enjoy it very much, and I recommend to anyone who would like some good blobbing. The criticism at the end is not all that important; the mod shines in other aspects.
  • Less puzzles than OG. Less means a normal amount thereof. After all, OG was famous for its focus on those. Also, there is a lot of secret places.
  • No story. There are some parchments, talking heads, etc. But it's generally about doing this or that; no lore or some such. I didn't mind that much tbh.
  • Much of the game's world is interconnected. In almost a mouth-agape kind of way if you take in mind this was done by a single person. Be prepared for many Souls-esque shortcuts opening, gaining entrances to places that were closed for many hours only after you finish a quest somewhere else, going back to places once you acquire a special item, etc.
  • Enjoyable combat; creatures behave differently. Boss encounters are not easy and often include some added challenges.
  • If I were to criticize something, it would be the "central halls." I mean, the idea itself isn't bad at all. The technical implementation is flawless, and I respect the sheer amount of effort that went into it. But its presence in this particular environment is hamfisted. You are a bunch of men-over-board survivors. You end up on an uncharted island fraught with dangers, challenges, wild animals, and nightmarish abominations, and... all of a sudden, there are halls with talking heads that say (not literally) something that feels and works like, "Oh hai travellah! If bring gems, finish some quests or whatnot, or mb like open doors u know, get back to us, and we give goodies. Stay stronk, peace." Come on :( ! With all the effort already poured in, only a tiny bit more would've made it a lot less of a 'mud thrown at the wall sooooo intricately' kind of thing and more of an 'immersion-friendly idea awarding the progression'. Even if it meant some cliché, such as Training Grounds of a Mad Wizard or whatever.
  • Difficulty in general is tough but not punishing. The gameplay seems quite long too (30+ hours, I'd say).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom