Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock

CorpseZeb

Learned
But if a monster attacks you while you are moving to the lef, it will hit your front right fighter AND your back right char (usually a mage), so it does have a great risk involved, especially with some enemies like the troll that can attack his side and one-shot your mage/rogue.

Ahm, you move to the left while monster facing... your right, right? Or your front? Because, while you moved to the left and he/she was looked at front, he/she has enough time to hit you, but, if he/she was faced to the your right, he/she must first turn to the front first, thus giving you enough time to do the hitless move.

Let's make some modern (or even postmodern) multimedia presentation:
Code:
a. (no hit, I presume).

^
    | (direction of move)
  [you] [monster]
            | (where she/he looking at)
            V

b. (hit, I presume).

^
    | (direction of move)
  [you] <- [monster]
                  (where she/he looking at)
PS. It's similar (sort of) the the command "run" situation in the classic D'n'D systems, you'll get massive amount of damage point, if there is any enemy close to.
Ps2. Ah, Thanks Ulminati for the (code) tip!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
CorpseZeb If you plop your diagrams inside some [code ] tags, the characters will have fixed width (like in notepad) and everythign will be easier to read.

ex:
Code:
a. (no hit, I presume).

^
     | (direction of move)
   [you] [monster]
             | (where she/he looking at)
             V

b. (hit, I presume).

^
    | (direction of move)
  [you] <- [monster]
      (where she/he looking at) [where she/he looking at]

Mortmal

Arcane
If Dm and clones were popular then it was because they offered more entertainement than previous generation of rpgs.

Just like Oblivion and Ass Effect today, amirite?

Exactly the opposite, oblivion does not offer more entertainement to me than morrowind or daggerfall, no need to come back on oblivion flaws again no ? .Interface is inferior, story is inferior,dungeon design bland, character development inferior and while i enjoyed it to some extent it was disapointing, not nearly as interisting than the previous titles, . As to mass effect , its yet another subgenre, the first one is a streamlined kotor with better graphics, cant say it was worse , now playing the other 2 id say its a good gear of ar clone with dialogues, it drifted far from rpgs.

mondblut

Arcane
In order to learn a spell you also need to find a scroll explaining the runes of the spell.
In theory, you don't need scrolls to learn the spells. It's helpful, but not necessary. If you have an appropriate skill level and if you find the correct runes by experimentation, you will be able to cast it.

Mortmal

Arcane
This is a widely shared opinion around boards, not only the codex than the previous installments of elder scrolls were better.
Also same for eye of the beholder , back them only nerds , rpgs fans ,the elite of society pretty much, were playing computer games and those educated people with enlightened opinions enjoyed it more .
The reviews, game magazine reviews were relevant and not bought by editors, were better than turn based blobbers. Should i fetch old magazines scans ?
Damn, i remember of that era when rpg of the year title was between ultima 7 and wizardry 7, good old time...

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
on level 4, there's a puzzle with a pressure plate and a teleporter that appears for a split second over a chasm. I tried throwing half my inventory through it, which appeared behind bars, but to no effect. what the fuck

on level 4, there's a puzzle with a pressure plate and a teleporter that appears for a split second over a chasm. I tried throwing half my inventory through it, which appeared behind bars, but to no effect. what the fuck
You need to trow a rock, knife or a shuriken from your hands - it lands on the other pressure plate which closses the chasm. I guess that things thrown from hand travel further than the throw from the inventory.

mondblut

Arcane
This is a widely shared opinion around boards, not only the codex than the previous installments of elder scrolls were better.

The millions of Oblivion fans ask, "what boards?".

Also same for eye of the beholder , back them only nerds , rpgs fans ,the elite of society pretty much, were playing computer games and those educated people with enlightened opinions enjoyed it more .

Those educated people with enlightened opinions asked, "what the fuck, where is my End Turn button". It was popamole fags 1990 edition who enjoyed it.

The reviews, game magazine reviews were relevant and not bought by editors, were better than turn based blobbers. Should i fetch old magazines scans ?

Pfft. The professional magazines do not need to sell out to publishers to give raving reviews to whatever is popular on the market. You don't get far in that business telling your market base that chances are, whatever they love pretty much sucks. Not to mention they lived off the advertising, and a threat of losing advertising revenue from a big publisher over negative treatment of their games was already pretty fucking real by mid-90s in the least.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I have been using a notebook to solve the puzzles, and one puzzle I just completed took nearly two full pages.

For each failed option, I have been marking a cross, until the result looks like forward, forward, forward, right, backward, left, backward, right, forward, left, backward, left, forward, right, backward, and so on. And that's just for a permutation of options that did not work. It's a 21 step puzzle, with perhaps 60-100 dead ends that you must eliminate by trial and error. I can't believe I even managed to complete it.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have been using a notebook to solve the puzzles, and one puzzle I just completed took nearly two full pages.

For each failed option, I have been marking a cross, until the result looks like forward, forward, forward, right, backward, left, backward, right, forward, left, backward, left, forward, right, backward, and so on. And that's just for a permutation of options that did not work. It's a 21 step puzzle, with perhaps 60-100 dead ends that you must eliminate by trial and error. I can't believe I even managed to complete it.
Which puzzle was that? I certainly do not remember anything crazy like that...

Wyrmlord

Arcane

Which puzzle was that? I certainly do not remember anything crazy like that...
Level 3 or 4, from a while back.

Trail of thoughts puzzle, I think.

Gord

Arcane
HM, there's a teleporter puzzle in a 3x3 or 4x4 room, you have to find the right passage through the teleporter "maze" which will change when stepping on some tiles.

I just memorized the way trough, but it took me a little while. Guess one might also find out the pattern of changing teleporters or go with Wyrmlords method, but memorizing seemed more convenient to me.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
If it's the lv4 one, the pattern is quite simple. Stepping onto a pressure plate will toggle all adjacent teleporters between their on/off states. It's like the old Lights Out handheld game:
lightsOutHandheld.jpg

The trick is to step onto (off) tiles that are adjavent to the (on) tile you want to continue onto.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Level 3 or 4, from a while back.

Trail of thoughts puzzle, I think.
Yeah, I know which is...but was not that hard, I reached Lv 10 with only one side of a paper. It helps that I have good memmory, I could probably redo that maze right now on the first try...

The only puzzle I was really scared of was the one in Lv 9:
The one where you had to put 4 specific itens in the right places...FFS, my luck was that I had all of them with me, but I guess lots of people are going to have to go back to find where they dropped/left some of those itens...especially the skull if you don't have a headhunter.

Gord

Arcane
Yes, that one made me backtrack a bit to find two of the items (well, one item specifically, I'm playing all human party *wink*).

Then there's also the iron door on the same level, where you get the hint. I'm pretty sure I know would know the item once I see it, as there are only a few fitting answers, but I can't really remember having seen something like that (save for a skull, but that doesn't work).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yes, that one made me backtrack a bit to find two of the items (well, one item specifically, I'm playing all human party *wink*).

Then there's also the iron door on the same level, where you get the hint. I'm pretty sure I know would know the item once I see it, as there are only a few fitting answers, but I can't really remember having seen something like that (save for a skull, but that doesn't work).
I was SO fucking happy to open that door, it's probably the best iten I have equiped. :) And yes, the iten is very obvious if you have it, so you probably missed it. I don't remeber where I got it either...I think around floor 4-5...

Still, I left one iron door unnonpened, and cound't explore that eletrical lv completly...I think I'm gonna save those for the replay...

Gord

Arcane
I was SO fucking happy to open that door, it's probably the best iten I have equiped.
I don't remeber where I got it either...I think around floor 4-5...

Fuck, stop trolling me!
Now I have to go all the way back until I find an item fitting my assumptions.

Which is an item related to the head or maybe the neck, probably made of bone or somewhat related to death

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Opinions on Earth magic are welcome, since i am unlikely to play with Earth mage on next walkthough. I've heard its too low dmg/many mobs resist.
On the other hand, there's a staff that enhances poison damage. Which absolutely ruins Uggardians their day.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
By the way, my obsession with finding secrets means that I check every single wall for some loose rock or some pressure plate, just to find another secret.

One of my favourite secrets was one where you temporarily shut trap doors to press one button before rushing on to a wall opening to reveal a corridor. The reward was 25 bonus health points. Pretty cool.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
You need to trow a rock, knife or a shuriken from your hands - it lands on the other pressure plate which closses the chasm. I guess that things thrown from hand travel further than the throw from the inventory.
i is dumb

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
By the way, my obsession with finding secrets means that I check every single wall for some loose rock or some pressure plate, just to find another secret.

One of my favourite secrets was one where you temporarily shut trap doors to press one button before rushing on to a wall opening to reveal a corridor. The reward was 25 bonus health points. Pretty cool.
By the way, did you manage to do that "press button & run to press the other button" puzzle to the end at Lv 6? The one with the fire elementals...I did it enough to get the key, but there are buttons to be pressed, and one of them apparently did nothing...I'm sure that there's something hidden there...

And not only the treasure crown.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
felipepepe Yes there is another secret there.

Make sure you aren't encumbered and press the first four buttons the usual way - one near the entrance and three on the column. Then quickly continue clockwise around the column (there should be a path if you've already grabbed a key) and press the fourth column button while the pit is closed -- after that, a secret room will open with a surprise! inside.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom