Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's bash Deus Ex: Human Devolution !!

The mind-blowing Deus Ex: Human Revolution reveal trailer took a development sideteam an entire year to craft, costing untold millions.
My mind is truly blown now.
Before work on the game began, the 120-strong main crew spent twelve months simply playing previous titles
That's what they get paid for nowadays, huh? Yeah nobody i know plays shitty old-gen games for free.
to immerse themselves in the mythology of Warren Spector's sci-fi opus.
The result? A sprawling, official franchise 'bible'
Number of pages: 10
Fontsize: 36

Oh, and there are over 100 created 'brands' in the universe, designed to create an unprecedented feeling of immersion.
dialogue-heavy sandboxes in the form of a Fallout or Oblivion, Human Revolution nonchalantly treads a middle ground that has the potential to top both.
Eidos are taking this ethos so seriously that - boss encounters apart - you'll apparently be able to finish the whole game without taking a single life.
So boss encounters have to be killed, eh? And here i thought Eidos is taking this ethos so seriously that you'll apparently be able to finish the whole game without taking a single life.
It's a (human) revolution.
explosive bombast.
Conversation has been beefed up, the visuals now on a level where you can judge the authenticity of a suspect by his body language alone.
Everytime he lies you can see it in his eyes. Ladys and gentlemen, a quest compass for dialogue trees has finally been developed!
Likewise, the adoption of the third-person for stealth now makes sneaking about a bona fide option, rather than a clumsy afterthought.
With a release date of early April on the cards, Eidos have been noticeably languid in letting us get hands-on with their baby, preferring to illustrate its complexities via controlled demos.
I wonder why. :smug:
This time, however, we're complaining not because we smell a rat, but more that we've waited a decade for this - and, quite simply, we're gagging to step back into its world.
Gagging. :lol:

Link: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=281976

ChristofferC

Magister
Before work on the game began, the 120-strong main crew spent twelve months simply playing previous titles
So they spent around 120*40*52 man hours playing games? lol no that's one of the most stupid things I've ever heard.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You believe the shit gaming journalists spout out? This "fact" was crafted by a psychologist in Square Enix to target their retarded target audience and feed to their public relation organs that in turn feed it to their subject online and offline magazines.

Pegultagol

Erudite
There are youtube videos of such controlled demos, and even given the fact that it is a carefully guided tour of many of its features, I was left dully unimpressed; it seemed they took 'paying homage' a bit too literally in that a lot of design choices seem very contrived (as in different modes of entry not ten paces away from each other, an enemy in the distance right after one acquires a scoped crossbow, etc.), almost to the point of being conditioned with scripted sequences. I did not care for the abundance of black & gold with its purported theme of 'golden age' or some other nonsense that they seemed to have tacked on, for what purposes? The mind boggles.

CrimHead

Scholar
Human Revolution looks p. cool but you won't enjoy it because you're a faggot.

How does this make you feel

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Remember kids, Oblivion was sold to the (dumb) masses via controlled demos!

UserNamer

Cipher
ahahahahah this is embarassing, but also funny.

One year to play the previous games. One year and millions to do a stupid trailer. How many years and how much are they going to spend to make an halfway decent game?

Garm

Learned
Wow...people are actually bitching about the dev team playing the first two? I can understand people bitching about them wasting their time on the second one :smug:, but it's good that they played the first. At least they're attempting to make it look like they give a fuck about the original game, instead of pulling a Bethesda/Fallout 3. The game will still probably suck, but hey, at least they played the original.

UserNamer

Cipher
Garm said:
Wow...people are actually bitching about the dev team playing the first two?

no, but because they spent 12 months of developing time playing the first two

Garm

Learned
UserNamer said:
Garm said:
Wow...people are actually bitching about the dev team playing the first two?

no, but because they spent 12 months of developing time playing the first two

Which was at the beginning of the development of the game. Like I said earlier, at least they're attempting to give a damn about the original games. Would you rather the developers act like Bethesda or 2K Marin (XFAIL) and completely ignore the series?

As SCO already pointed out that's very likely just another lie. It's called maximizing your target audience, funny thing is it actually works (unless you have an IQ of 183 like Cleve).
Pete Hines said the reason they purchased the Fallout rights is because internally at Bethesda they are huge fans of the Fallout universe. (Yeah, right)

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some time before Pete said he never played Fallout because it's not kind of a game he would like. Unfortunately I can't find any quote of it atm.

My only complaint so far is that it's a shame the game doesn't seem to have a regular third person mode considering how often it switches to tpp for things like stealth, cover and melee.

zeitgeist

Magister

This whole ridiculous "playing the original for a year" thing reminds me of that one interview (I actually think, but I'm not quite sure, that there were two interviews with a similar reference in one question) with Jean-François Dugas, the lead designer of HR, where he was asked a question that somehow referenced the famous orange/lemon-lime scene, and he had absolutely no clue what the interviewer was talking about. None whatsoever. There was only awkward silence and looking around IIRC.

MapMan

Arcane
You people are retarded. Do you really think, there was a 120 developers team assigned to play deus ex 5 times a week, 8 hours a day? No you stupid morons. They probably played it on and off for a year while the game was in pre production state.

Quilty

Magister
i can't be expected to read a thread comprised almost entirely of newfags, what is this madness, put them in their own corner

:x

MetalCraze

Arcane
Garm said:
Wow...people are actually bitching about the dev team playing the first two? I can understand people bitching about them wasting their time on the second one :smug:, but it's good that they played the first. At least they're attempting to make it look like they give a fuck about the original game, instead of pulling a Bethesda/Fallout 3. The game will still probably suck, but hey, at least they played the original.

2010 member detected.
I guess you missed the "we played Deus Ex 1 and found it extremely slow and boring, so the new one will be action packed and have health regen with cover system" bit.

Tycn

Savant
MetalCraze said:
Garm said:

2010 member detected.
I guess you missed the "we played Deus Ex 1 and found it extremely slow and boring, so the new one will be action packed and have health regen with cover system" bit.
Pretty much this. The lead designer mentioned above has stated that he prefers IW.

Garm

Learned
MetalCraze said:
Garm said:

2010 member detected.

No, I didn't. I know the game will suck, but at least they're trying a bit harder than Bethesda and 2K Marin. But yeah, I have no hope that this game will be even remotely good. They'll streamline the fuck out of it and make it super easy...but at least the interviews about the game bring up Deus Ex 1 and remind me of how much fun that game was.

Garm

Learned
Twinkle said:
Garm said:
The game will still probably suck, but hey, at least they played the original.

So? Todd H claimed he loved the original FO. Now see the result.

Yeah, but Todd's a fucking moron. Plus everyone else admitted to not playing it. At least with this, the dev team has enough courtesy to lie about it.

Flanged

Scholar
zeitgeist said:
Jean-François Dugas, the lead designer of HR ... was asked a question that somehow referenced the famous orange/lemon-lime scene, and he had absolutely no clue what the interviewer was talking about. None whatsoever. There was only awkward silence and looking around IIRC.

That's truly pathetic.

So not only has he never played Deus Ex, he's also never been on the internet or interested in games at all at any point in his life?

How the hell could any games designer (or gamer) not know that reference?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
jcdentontrap.png

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
God that was a classic fucking game.

Anyway, I'm amazed that some people are defending the devs in any way, shape, or form.

You believe that shit about a fucking year? Or that a majority of the devs have played the game at all? Christ, what amazes me is that the PR department thinks up all this obvious horse shit and the media prints it, no questions asked, and then morons believe it.

Was that interview with the dumbass unable to answer video?

CrimHead

Scholar

Off the top of my head I can think of multiple instances in Deus Ex where different entry points are located only feet away from each other.

The begging of the Sub-base, Paris, and San Fransisco.

Also that gold and black art style is infinitely better than the original's aesthetic, considering it's an actual art STYLE. Deus Ex, however classic the gameplay and story may be, has dreadfully generic visuals.

So it took me about...oh I dunno... 20 seconds all in all to completely debunk your rose-tinted bullshit complaints, expending zero effort.

Keep that game strong, son.

MetalCraze

Arcane
The lack of colour with everything being covered in bloomed piss is considered an "Art STYLE" by newfags these days?

Original Deus Ex had nice lighting (considering that it wasn't Dark Engine, but inferior UE) and fitting colour selection that used all palette. How can a palette that range only from a colour of shit to a colour of piss be a better choice?

I look at this screenshot and I already want to strangle the retard who thinks that this covers shitty lacking console graphics enough

Steam-Dates-Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom