Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Let's build an exhaustive list of all Amiga/Atari/etc(non-PC) cRPGs

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by rusty_shackleford, Sep 23, 2021.

1. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Seemed even lighter on RPG mechanics than its contemporaries, more like a strategy game.

^ Top  
  2. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    ^ Top  
  3. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Went through every single game on CRPGAddict's master list. Time to find new games.
    Probably going to hunt through more of those disk magazines eventually, might be some good things buried in those.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Jarpie Arcane Patron

Jarpie
    Codex 2012 MCA
    The two late Amiga-games Blade and The Prophet: The Tome Of Primall - Chapter 1 are very shit, wouldn't recommend even to my worst enemies.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Rincewind Savant

Rincewind
    You didn't go through the Hall of Light archives yet, did you?
    I just found one that's not on your Amiga list:
    https://hol.abime.net/5714

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Rejected it for not being a cRPG(it's an adventure game afaict) before I started the rejection list. You can find gameplay footage here:

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    I think I have the massive majority of the games for the more popular platforms(e.g., Amiga, Apple II, ...), Going to do some manual cleaning and start working on the more obscure platforms.
    One thing that surprised me was how few games the Atari ST had.

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Nifft Batuff Liturgist

Nifft Batuff
    Oracle's Cave (1984) for the ZX Spectrum and C64.
    Show Spoiler

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Damned, I missed so many Speccy games.
    But unlike old DOS/Apple games I can't play emulated Speccy games. But I will always have the nostalgia...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Morpheus Kitami Arbiter

Morpheus Kitami
    As in can't actually run a Spectrum emulator or the emulation of Speccy games isn't as good as advertised?

^ Top  
  11. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Can't get back to the primtive UI. Most of the Speccy games were real time as well, which make non-standard UIs harder to get into.
    Also, I think the nostalgia argument may be valid for Speccy games. Tir Na Nog certainly felt much smaller when I replayed it ten years ago.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Morpheus Kitami Arbiter

Morpheus Kitami
    That makes sense, I've tried a few, and they were practically impossible to control. Not any of the popular ones, just random titles. Its that combination of non-standardized controls and the color scheme that makes it hard for people to go back to. You have some computers from the era, and while they may have bizarre controls or look unholy, its never really together, unlike the Spectrum.

^ Top  
  13. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    For pre-OSX Mac stuff:

Jewels of Arabia: Dreamers
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure there was some Codexer that was talking about playing this some years ago and said it was good.

Pillars of Garendall

Also, if you're going to include Escape Velocity, you might as well include it's sequel Escape Velocity: Override. Though people are apparently [working on bringing it](https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cosmicfrontier/cosmic-frontier-override/description) to modern machines.

As for The Odyssey and Odyssey: The Legend of Nemesis, they are indeed unrelated. I believe Jeff Vogel has talked about how the latter (which is supposed to be a somewhat unusual RPG) inspired some of the stuff in his games.

Here's a good blog post going over Jewels of Arabia, Odyssey: Legend of Nemesis, and Cythera, all of which a lot of people seem to have good things to say about.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Looks like Realmz, I game I really tried to like but...
    Some of the games on that blog you mentioned may be worth checking after I've finished Arcanum.

^ Top  
  15. Rincewind Savant

Rincewind
    Nice find! I wanted to post info about Odyssey - The Legend of Nemesis here today, but you beat me to it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    One thing to keep in mind with Realmz is that it's a proto-NWN (or Neo-FRUA). You probably played the included City of Bywater scenario (I remember enjoying what I played of it), but there were a ton of others. I believe the Sword Lands Trilogy is supposed to be one of the most well regarded. This discussion on the Watch claims the Sword Lands Trilogy "features some of the most impressive instances of choices/consequences I've ever seen in a RPG."

One of the interesting things about Realmz (and probably Blades of Exile as well) is that some of these scenarios are supposed to be really good, but they also seem to be pretty close to extinction. There's still a little bit of information floating around on the net about how to play them, but if they're not properly preserved they could well become lost.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    fyi, there's a game made using the Realmz engine in a sci-fi setting
    https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-sci-fi-rpg-thread.130822/page-6#post-7523566

^ Top  
  18. Fluent Augur Patron The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    Hey guys. Just wanted to add, if u want to see more awesome vintage Mac games, check out Macintosh Garden online. Go to the RPGs section and have a blast! I bought a vintage Mac specifically for the purpose of playing all those old 80s-90s-early 2000s Mac games because I love the aesthetic. Have almost every interesting one installed in some way on it. :) So just check out that site's list and you'll see a lot of cool Mac games! Cheers. <3

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Added Jewels of Arabia: Dreamers, Pillars of Garendall appears to have a windows version so it was not added.
    I looked at Escape Velocity and it didn't appear to be a cRPG(not sure how it made it to my list,) what say Codex?

^ Top  
  20. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Cleaned up the BB code(graphical editor makes a mess when adding/removing list elements), added release years to all games so far to the best of my ability(please make a post if they're wrong -- release years are for that specific platform and may differ between platforms,) removed some non-RPGs.

As this got way bigger than I expected it to get originally, I'll probably move the second idea (exhaustive list of the differences between cRPGs on their available platforms) to a separate thread when I begin working on it. I don't think there's really anything like that to start from so it will probably take much more community effort, I'll likely start with the big name titles.

Probably going to go through the consoles to find some more excloosive cRPGs(NOT jrpgs)

^ Top  
  21. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Rings of Power for the genesis looks cool

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Goldbox-style...ish... game for the TurboGrafx by Westwood similar to the one they made on Genesis. Huh, appears to use basic D&D rather than AD&D though, that's pretty unique.
    https://www.mobygames.com/game/turbo-grafx/order-of-the-griffon
    As an aside, I hate youtube videos where the person tries to be a personality, I just want to see gameplay footage...

^ Top  
  23. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    When I found out about it a couple of years ago I tried to get my hands on it but never managed. Maybe you get luckier

^ Top  
  24. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    [​IMG]

• nice nice x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    This game looks like modern day Unity shovelware

(Not going on the list, just happened by it and was curious)

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.