Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Let's DISCUSS Infinity Engine combat and Baldur's Gate with random noobs

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I don't think I would talk about BG in general if I wanted to make a point about exploration in RPGs, though.

This pretty much sums up that topic. The exploration wasn't great, but it was one of the areas I kinda enjoyed. The maps sucked on an individual basis, but finding places with stuff was the sweet part.
That's the thing that makes the BG games good, there's just a a lot of varied stuff to visit, kill, loot. BG1 wilderness maps simply made the Sword Coast feel more like an actual region in the world as opposed to just a bunch of disconnected levels, they are shit individually but together form a coherent world map.

I look at that pic Sensuki linked few pages ago and can't help but think how much better the games would be if Bioware had used Fallout's world map design

Doktor Best

Arcane
I grew up with german voice acting for baldurs gate. They fucking implented voice actors with saxon dialect (those people are usually disregarded by the rest of the nation because of it).

The result sounded like this:

https://youtu.be/_vs0eqBSe_4?t=95

You guys dont know how spoiled you are with english synchronization. On the plus side it forced me into learning english well enough so i can understand rpgs in their mother language.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't think I would talk about BG in general if I wanted to make a point about exploration in RPGs, though.

This pretty much sums up that topic. The exploration wasn't great, but it was one of the areas I kinda enjoyed. The maps sucked on an individual basis, but finding places with stuff was the sweet part.
That's the thing that makes the BG games good, there's just a a lot of varied stuff to visit, kill, loot. BG1 wilderness maps simply made the Sword Coast feel more like an actual region in the world as opposed to just a bunch of disconnected levels, they are shit individually but together form a coherent world map.
Yeah, take your coherent world map and stick it where the sun don't shine, m8.
Exploring wilderness areas in BG1 is a huge waste of time, it's neither fun nor rewarding (too few xp points to get there anyway, char builds in BG1 don't develop in a satisfying way, low level ADnD sucks balls). I know, I tried to replay that turd a couple of weeks ago and gave up in the middle of a long stream of meaningless, underwhelming "low key adventures" (aka fetch quests or go there kill this quests).
In my memory that game was much better than when actually trying to replay it. There is just soooo much filler, it's mind-boggling.
Sure, you can skip all that and go for the main story (which I like), but I made the mistake to install SCS so I had to grind all that shit to stand a chance (ok, could have cheesed too but I don't enjoy that either).

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I know, but you seem to still want to validate their existence by saying that they were coherent as a whole.
Don't try that on one hand ... on the other hand bs here, this is Codex, we don't fag around (is this the correct translation for "herumschwuchteln", anyone?), we speak in absolutes.
:deadhorse:

I cannot for the life of me fathom how you can simultaneously claim that BG is boring whereas Genefore is interesting.
TB combat?
Just a guess.
:M

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Regardless, the voices are jarring and sound unprofessional. I'm not so much worried about whose fault it is, but it's a huge flaw in the game.
You seems to hate everything about this game.. admit it, you are here just to troll and flame bait.

Goblino

Savant
Sure I'm a troll. That explains my valid points about why I personally didn't enjoy baldurs gate.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I grew up with german voice acting for baldurs gate. They fucking implented voice actors with saxon dialect (those people are usually disregarded by the rest of the nation because of it).

You guys dont know how spoiled you are with english synchronization. On the plus side it forced me into learning english well enough so i can understand rpgs in their mother language.

Das war doch das Beste an der ganzen deutschen Uebersetzung! :D
Ich als Sachse bin froh in Spielen auch mal vertreten zu sein.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Just curious, did they translate thac0 in the german version?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

Just curious, did they translate thac0 in the german version?

Yep, it's called ETW0. "Erforderlicher Trefferwurf gegen Ruestungsklasse"

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Baldur's Gate was shit guys, fuck anyone who thinks differently.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
Things that bugged me in BG1:

- Imoen's stupid banter
- Status effects on characters lasting for quite some time after the fights (makes for some boring looking at the screen - fortunately the game keeps running with alt+tab)
- Traveling inside an area takes quit some time (also improved by alt+tabbing, but with the pathing issues that can also be a problem)

None of the above were game breaking so...

Seal of approval by me! Surely got more enjoyment out of it than I got from PoE (which I played right before the BG run). PoE's epic verbosity really bored me to alt+f4 a lot ("Ohhh, I'm in a tower with a bell and the plains and shit." "Hey, were you paying attention? Answer!" - C'mon... Fuck that shit).

roshan

Arcane
- Status effects on characters lasting for quite some time after the fights (makes for some boring looking at the screen - fortunately the game keeps running with alt+tab)

Sorry but fuck popamole games where status effects disappear as soon as combat ends. Pillars of Shitternity was an utter joke because of this, with poisons that somehow didn't do anything notable except vanish mysteriously.

You don't want to wait for those status effects to end - then try not to be affected by them in the first place by using appropriate counters.

pippin

-Imoen's banter in 1 is minimal, even with restoration patches. She was included almost at the end of the development process after all.
-I don't see any problem with this. Since you had many areas where enemies lurked in the dark, having this kind of status effects was perfect.
-You can change the frames per second in the cfg file to make the game go faster.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Have you been asleep this whole topic? Multiple people said what they prefer in BG1 over BG2. So we can also say BG1 is better over other games.

Rake

Arcane
Obviously :obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom