Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's learn about fighting games and get murdered together.

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date

Generic-Giant-Spider

Add in Goenitz/Mature/Vice and Krauser/Mr. Big/Eiji and I never bitch again.

Generic-Giant-Spider

FB8SX7QX0AABwoT.png

Here in Bananaland at the height of the arcade era you just had to swallow your pride and learn how to deal with O. Rugal pickers in KoF '95, or O. Yori pickers in '97, or Grant pickers in Garou. Thankfully most players who picked 'hidden' bosses sucked ass.

The only unwritten rule that people (mostly) respected was not picking Akuma in Super Turbo.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Orochi Iori always felt difficult to play because he was too damn fast.

I'm glad KoF XV seems to be hitting the spot for everyone. It's my favorite fighting game series. I can't play fighting games anymore because they require way too much time investment that I'd rather spend drawing or playing one of my instruments, but this gives me a good game to tune in for tournaments.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I'm glad someone made this youtube video, since I've wanted to gripe about this since last Thursday:

The only SF character I care about is Sagat so from the onset this collab wasn't for me, but I thought: "Chun Li, sure, why not?" But... this is Chun Li that ate Charles Barkley:/

STILL... I should mention that KOFAS finally has a decent PvP mode now, Dream Match. It's imbalanced as hell, but it's essentially MUGEN for mobile (although you want to play it on PC for a stable connection).

Generic-Giant-Spider

Latro picking Omega Rugal in KOF 2002 and being politely asked to change his selection (black & white).

635942506675292077-01calbssinsw.jpg

Does that mean any of yo fuckers are actually playing XV? Because it's the best fighting game in five years if not a decade. And i'm curious to hear Codex's opinions on the first major balance patch, or to actually fight one of you fuckers online

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
It's certainly a breath of fresh air to have a fighting game stick to its roots in an era where every other franchise tries to reinvent itself to appeal to a broader audience. It's also the best KoF entry in a looooong time.
I play it, but I haven't fought with randoms in what must be 5 years by now. I'm happy sticking to my small group of friends for matches. If you're not across the globe from where I'm located (West Europe) we could set up some games though. I get decent connections with US east coast people, but I haven't played anyone further away than that. Also, don't expect any high level gameplay.

As for the balance patch, I like it when most characters get buffed and the only characters to get any real nerfs are the obvious top tiers like Vanessa and Ralf. My boy Ryo got amazing buffs and plays a lot smoother now, so I couldn't be happier.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Does that mean any of yo fuckers are actually playing XV? Because it's the best fighting game in five years if not a decade. And i'm curious to hear Codex's opinions on the first major balance patch, or to actually fight one of you fuckers online

Isn't the online mode of the PC version completely fucked? Also, can't be the best KoF without Krizalid or Vice, and the art style and music are still complete ass.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
No baiken no buyken, am I right fellow fighting game enjoyers? And the online got fixed in the patch, any issues I used to run into have disappeared entirely anyway.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Big buffs for Shermie, Yashiro, Krohnen, Iori and I think K' can deflect projectiles now too.

Shermie's speed being made faster, projectile invulnerability on spin kick and hitbox adjustments on grabs have definitely made her way better. She always had the damage it was just getting in was the problem.

Yashiro feels straight up better to play and can get new combo routes going thanks to quicker recovery on Jet Upper. Iori is the same way where he feels a lot smoother to play now and doesn't have that weird clunkyness to him.

As for nerfs, they didn't outright kill characters like other fighting games have. Ralf/Vanessa are still really good, but the work you put in now isn't just handed to you like before. Overall I think this is a great balance update that makes many characters feel smoother and more viable to play. I like that they compensated any nerfs for a strength elsewhere so you don't feel like you wasted your time learning a character, very good stuff.

Now buff Billy.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Context:

In the year 2012, a historical event that would change the fate of the FGC community took place. The place was a convention in Detroit, Michigan, which went by the name Youmacon, and the man was a legend named Brian Murphy, better known by his alias “Karate Lincoln” and "Abbock". At this event, Brian would go down in history by taking part in a tournament for a video game called "Ultimate Marvel V.S. Capcom 3".

Brian had fought well up to this point, but things had decidedly took a turn for the worse, when he ran into a group of local ruffians, named the "C.O.R.N". This mysterious group was aptly dubbed the "Coalition of Real Nigga's" and their skills in niggatry were displayed in full effect, as the group had honed their real nigga abilities in this local event. Things were looking tough for Brian, as money was reportedly on the line. Out of options and looking to prove his worth, Brian took a bold move. Brian wagered $90 USD that he would achieve victory in combat with elite C.O.R.N members Noel Brown and Christopher “Footwurk” Leggett, in subsequent money matches. It was a risky wager, and a furious battle ensued over the cash prize that was at stake. But in a shocking turn of events, Brian was quickly and soundly defeated by Noel Brown, who had displayed his impressive prowess of true nigga skills in his short-lived match with him. The match ended so quickly and shockingly swift, that onlookers stood in complete awe, with many describing it as unprecedented in FGC history. Witnesses stated that Brian had gotten his ass completely beat, and reportedly fucked.

Upon losing the set, Brian Murphy had began to lose his composure, his world view had began to crumble. Brian had spent so many months training and honing his skills to show the world what he was capable of, but the crushing reality of his quick defeat only proved the distance in skill between him and this formidable foe. The bold $90 that Brian had laid down in order to express full confidence in his abilities had been snatched from him, as if he was nothing more than mere child's play to the vicious might of the formidable coalition. Humiliated, and ashamed, Brian immediately made attempts to retreat, but was quickly intercepted by the group for an unexpected interrogation. Upon making contact with Murphy, the group was met with a teary-eyed Brian, who would subsequently be dubbed the moniker, of "Cryin' Brian", by the group. Moved by this sudden outburst of passion, the group quickly pressured Brian to explain this behavior, as any emotional expression involving the profuse shedding of tears, is considered to be a heinous crime and an affront to the nigga-arts. Emotionally compromised and flustered, Brian made his plea. Brian attempted to explain to the group that the nature of his tears was not a result of monetary deprivation, but due to not achieving the desired respect of his peers. Upon being confronted on the boldness of waging money as a sign of overconfidence on his part, Brian proceeded to argue that his money challenge was not a sign of conceit, but of good faith in the hype-arts, an attempt to generate excitement and determination from his opponent and onlookers. Unconvinced, the group began to call attention to Brian's noticeable gap in skill and ability compared to the group's, expressing reassurance that Brian was fully keen on how "ass" his performance had been.

Brian quickly attempts to justify his lacking performance as a result of originating from a land called Columbus, located in Ohio. Brian pointed out that Columbus lacked prominent challengers that were worthy of contention, resulting in Brian's own skills to reach a plateau. When pressured on why Brian had not consulted a Columbian native of the coalition for matches, Brian contests that said member was preoccupied with a more pressing matter, and was unable to spar in a set. After a pause for consideration, the group redirected their focus back to Brian's poor management of his loss, and drew attention to his behavior, which they repeatedly described as emasculate, and fell far below the standards of what they considered to be a genuine "nigga". Brian stated his case logically and passionately, bringing to light the fact that he did not fall under the ill-defined category of a true "nigga" and that therefore his merits should not have been judged under such a criteria, but his perceived effeminate disposition was only met with big gales of stupid laughter from the coalition.

The group assured Brian that the nature of his financial loss was simply a byproduct of an environment supported by the current socio-ecological model, and that Brian's outburst of emotion was an unfit coping method. Brian attempted to reassure the group that he was employed, elucidating the fact that monetary loss was not a perceived issue for him. Upon careful consideration, the congregation ultimately concluded that Brian had subsequently been "fucked" and dismissed him from further questioning.

Isn't the online mode of the PC version completely fucked? Also, can't be the best KoF without Krizalid or Vice, and the art style and music are still complete ass.

Supposedly if you queue up for matchmaking in some regions you will wait and wait for a match. I'm in US East, I have not had this experience at all, and while I think there is an issue, internet hysteria has probably uplifted the general consensus to 'completely fucked' when it's really not *that* bad. For reference I can normally find games with good ping within 1-2 minutes even at like 3AM in the morning, when I'm sometimes drunk and posting haphazardly in the codex fighting games thred.

Could be placebo but if it's taking me awihle to find a game while queued up, I've had some luck just changing my region. People will say "I've tried different regions", but I think just swapping regions on occasion will 'requeue' you and kickstart things. A lot of times if I'm waiting a few minutes queued up and change regions I will find a match within like 20 seconds of doing so. Matchmaking has its quirks but I don't think it's completely broken, and it's nowhere as hard to find a match for me as it was in Soul Calibur 6.

It makes me sad because bad word of mouth is going to turn the game into a discord fighter before its time-- and what are the devs really supposed to do with such insightful feedback as 'MATCHING MAKING BROKEN WAAH'. They're japanese devs, it's a miracle we got rollback in the first place.

Last edited:
Big buffs for Shermie, Yashiro, Krohnen, Iori and I think K' can deflect projectiles now too.

Shermie's speed being made faster, projectile invulnerability on spin kick and hitbox adjustments on grabs have definitely made her way better. She always had the damage it was just getting in was the problem.

Yashiro feels straight up better to play and can get new combo routes going thanks to quicker recovery on Jet Upper. Iori is the same way where he feels a lot smoother to play now and doesn't have that weird clunkyness to him.

As for nerfs, they didn't outright kill characters like other fighting games have. Ralf/Vanessa are still really good, but the work you put in now isn't just handed to you like before. Overall I think this is a great balance update that makes many characters feel smoother and more viable to play. I like that they compensated any nerfs for a strength elsewhere so you don't feel like you wasted your time learning a character, very good stuff.

Now buff Billy.

The universal nerf to projectiles (with the lower-body invincibility for hops) will probably make the playerbase happy... but boy... my Athena/Krohnen/King team has really been suffering with this. I wasn't one to endlessly jump to the other side of the stage and spam fireballs, but it feels really unsafe to do so even mid-screen now without risk of being completely blown up. They also nerfed a number of Athena's normals (standing far D and standing far B), which means her projectiles and CQC are both notably worse. Shermie is now a monster and I've been seeing a lot of her online. It's been rough and it's making me rethink my team comp and order both.

Jason Liang

Arcane
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2022/may/29/character-usage-stats-cb2022-kof15/
Combo Breaker 2022 King of Fighters top 64 character stats
• Rock - 17

• Elisabeth - 13

• Yuri - 9

• Robert - 8
• Gato - 8
• Iori - 8
• Krohnen - 8

• Athena - 7

• Blue Mary - 6
• Kyo - 6
• Terry - 6
• Clark - 6

• Meitenkun - 5
• Mai - 5
• Dolores - 5

• Yashiro - 4 (1)
• Joe - 4
• Chizuru - 4
• Ralf - 4
• Luong - 4

• King of Dinosaurs - 3
• King - 3
• B. Jenet - 3
• Ash - 3
• Ángel - 3
• Kukri - 3
• Whip - 3
• Kula - 3

• Shermie - 2 (1)
• K' - 2
• Benimaru - 2
• Ryo - 2
• Chris - 2
• Isla - 2
• Yamazaki - 2
• Andy - 2
• Vanessa - 2
• Leona - 2

• Geese - 1 (1)
• Antonov - 1

• Maxima - 0
• Heidern - 0
• Ramon - 0
• Shun'ei - 0
• Billy - 0
• Omega Rugal - 0

King of Fighters 15 — Results
1. TMG|Tamago (Benimaru, Rock, Krohnen | Rock, Blue Mary, Krohnen)
2. Pako (Chizuru, Luong, Elisabeth)
3. FATE|Arslan Ash (Athena, King, Elisabeth)
4. Reynald (Joe, Gato, Krohnen | Joe, Krohnen, Yamazaki | Others)
5. AR|Wero Asamiya (Athena, Yuri, Rock | Yuri, Athena, Iori | Others)
5. Grilla|NYChrisG (Kula, Rock, Meitenkun)
7. Grilla|Romance (Yuri, Mai, Elisabeth)
7. TxC|Khriz (Yuri, Mai, Athena)

9. TN|Yurikov (Meitenkun, Luong, Elisabeth)
9. TxC|ViolentKain (Iori, Rock, Kyo)
9. DF|Teiga (Robert, Andy, Rock)
9. SW|Seis MX (Rock, Gato, Krohnen)
13. LD|Silent (Robert, Ángel, Elisabeth)
13. TN|Dechimo (Ángel, Kukri, Dolores)
13. Danke (Yuri, Meitenkun, Ash)
13. James Jr. (B. Jenet, Yashiro, Krohnen)

17. Brightside (Robert, Elisabeth, Athena)
17. KCO|Lapis (Robert, Iori, Gato | Iori, Gato, Geese)
17. DMV|Tao (Kyo, Robert, Blue Mary)
17. CoreValues (Clark, Elisabeth, Yashiro)
17. NecroUndine (Gato, Krohnen, Dolores)
17. Rylander (Meitenkun, Shermie, Elisabeth)
17. GenesisDC (Isla, Kula, Chizuru)
17. TxC|El Rosa (King of Dinosaurs, Joe, Gato | King of Dinosaurs, Shermie, Gato)

25. Moony Blues (Isla, Kula, Yashiro)
25. Dinotail (Gato, Ryo, Rock)
25. Migada (Luong, Ángel, Yuri)
25. LND|Doza (Yuri, Krohnen, Mai)
25. PG|Punk (Rock, Athena, Elisabeth)
25. Aroo (Gato, Iori, Krohnen)
25. George W Burst (Rock, Yashiro, Ryo)
25. Dentei (Iori, Kyo, Rock)

33. DenjinLoops (Whip, Robert, Rock)
33. SIK|Spratley (Whip, Luong, Dolores)
33. BSE|Squid
33. DF|Rome Himself (Clark, Benimaru, Dolores)
33. Unwieldly (K', Kyo, Elisabeth)
33. TB|El Promesa
33. VMP|TankTopTyphoon (Clark, Yamazaki, Krohnen)
33. KPB|Rage
33. Rikir (Chris, Elisabeth, Whip)
33. GF|Talbiops (Terry, Iori, Leona)
33. HawaiiMonkey (Kukri, Joe, Dolores)
33. Shadow780 (Clark, Blue Mary, Iori)
33. DG AL (Robert, Chizuru, Athena)
33. Dannyboy (Rock, Kyo, Terry)
33. Victrix|Cory Bell (King of Dinosaurs, Shermie, Antonov)
33. LazieFreddy (Blue Mary, Elisabeth, Ralf)

49. Yubabtw (Rock, Elisabeth, Terry)
49. THG|Ludovic (Athena, Chris, Yuri)
49. OmegaTomHanks (Athena, King, Ralf)
49. Alphonso (Vanessa, Blue Mary, Gato)
49. Grublet (Vanessa, Robert, Ash)
49. Nephew (Ralf, King, Terry)
49. Awhile (Yuri, Benimaru, Chizuru)
49. Dang (Rock, B. Jenet, Yuri)
49. Boom (Ralf, Clark, Ash)
49. FORT|Cless (Meitenkun, Kukri, Terry)
49. MexiKen (Iori, Rock, Kyo)
49. Diablo Bison (Mai, Andy, King of Dinosaurs)
49. Travis Huh (Mai, Rock, Terry)
49. LeonUltimate (K', Blue Mary, Leona)
49. DaFeetLee (Gato, B. Jenet, Rock)
49. Shin Paulo (Joe, Clark, Geese)

Last edited:
So I've been following some of the closed beta stuff with that MultiVersus game. I have a prediction, and it's that that game is going to be fucking huge.

Hopefully its mega success as a free-to-play game finally gets the Japanese developers off their fucking asses on this. Harada seems to have an irrational worry that F2P can't work for fighting games despite the biggest and most profitable fighting games as a genre ever were was in the arcades days when, while not free, they were just a quarter to play.

I do think we'll see some more Japanese platform fighters seen. That leaked Rockman Duel game really sounds like a fighting game, and if Capcom is building a new fighting game around Mega Man, I'd imagine it's some type of platform fighter. I would've thought Bandai Namco would've taken their Smash Bros. team and put them to work on some Jump branded Smash Bros. game; but if those rumors that Bandai Namco is making the new Killer Instinct for Microsoft are true, and given Smash Bros. sales in comparison to all other fighting games, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft went to them to make a Killer Instinct platform fighter. It's like, if you're going to them to make your fighting game than it's probably either a platform fighter or it's some type of 3D fighter. If they wanted to keep things normal 2D, they probably could've had someone like Eighting, Dimps, Arika, CyberConnect2, French Bread, Subtle Style, Studio Saizensen, or Arc System Works...that's if it's even true that Bandai Namco is even making Killer Instinct.

Parsifarka

Arcane
GOG is having a huge SNK sale so riddle me this: Last Blade 2 or Samurai Shodown 5?
I'm biased towards the former as I played it as a child and really like the counter mechanic (DOA is my fave), but SS5 has a kooler acronym, more characters and the fights look even more fluid. I might try my luck online eventually, so player activity is a factor as well (otherwise I would stay with emulation).

Last edited:

Nathir

Liturgist
GOG is having a huge SNK so riddle me this: Last Blade 2 or Samurai Shodown 5?
I'm biased towards the former as I played it as a child and really like the counter mechanic (DOA is my fave), but SS5 has a kooler acronym, more characters and the fights look even more fluid. I might try my luck online eventually, so player activity is a factor as well (otherwise I would stay with emulation).

Samsho 5 is one of my favourite fighting games, so I'd say get it. I played it quite a bit when it came out on steam a few years back. Big roster with varied characters, and unique gameplay mechanics. Easy to get the basics, hard to master. There are fatalities in it, and the steam version had a gallery where you unlocked art for all the characters. Some of the coolest characters in FGs imo.

Last edited:
So I've been following some of the closed beta stuff with that MultiVersus game. I have a prediction, and it's that that game is going to be fucking huge.

Hopefully its mega success as a free-to-play game finally gets the Japanese developers off their fucking asses on this. Harada seems to have an irrational worry that F2P can't work for fighting games despite the biggest and most profitable fighting games as a genre ever were was in the arcades days when, while not free, they were just a quarter to play.

I do think we'll see some more Japanese platform fighters seen. That leaked Rockman Duel game really sounds like a fighting game, and if Capcom is building a new fighting game around Mega Man, I'd imagine it's some type of platform fighter. I would've thought Bandai Namco would've taken their Smash Bros. team and put them to work on some Jump branded Smash Bros. game; but if those rumors that Bandai Namco is making the new Killer Instinct for Microsoft are true, and given Smash Bros. sales in comparison to all other fighting games, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft went to them to make a Killer Instinct platform fighter. It's like, if you're going to them to make your fighting game than it's probably either a platform fighter or it's some type of 3D fighter. If they wanted to keep things normal 2D, they probably could've had someone like Eighting, Dimps, Arika, CyberConnect2, French Bread, Subtle Style, Studio Saizensen, or Arc System Works...that's if it's even true that Bandai Namco is even making Killer Instinct.
Hopefully it fails miserably. All games of that type are for retarded children, but especially some design-by-committee derivative turd by some shitcorp like WB.

Last edited:

DonGabo

Novice
GOG is having a huge SNK so riddle me this: Last Blade 2 or Samurai Shodown 5?
Download fightcade and play all those old school fighting games with good rollback. Most of them even have training mode and ranked fights.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom