Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's learn about fighting games and get murdered together.

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date

Nathir

Liturgist

We're never getting something like XX again...

Arc System Works has worked on five (six if you count Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising as it’s own game) fighting games since 2018. They’ll probably do something like that in whatever the Dragon Ball FighterZ follow-up is...I’d assume some Jump FighterZ or something. Maybe that Persona fighting game the Persona 3 Reload leaker mentioned a while back last year, which it sounds like Arc System Works is working on.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane

The Jubei vs Yoshitora matches in Winners and Grand Finals is I think the most beautiful Samsho play I've ever seen.

Jason Liang

Arcane
What the fuck is the damage on that game
if you could be more specific...

Heavy attack normals (C button), Weapon flips and Issens deal horrific damage if they connect, in addition to normal HSM/ DSMs.

The only character whose damage feels unfair is Baiken, I think.

I've always wanted to check it out but didn't want to deal with the shitty non-rollback netcode. Now that it got patched I might buy it. I loved SS2/4 back in the day.

Arthandas

Prophet
Me right after downloading T8

150.jpg

Sega vs Capcom fan game.

Kind of surprised it’s been allowed to go this long.

Project L got a name change. Now it’s called: 2XKO.

Not a great name change. Having a name be an abbreviation right out of the gate seems like a weird movie. Do they want people to call it “Two X KO?” Do they want them to call it “Two Times KO?” If the latter, it seems like they should’ve just called it “Two Times Knockout” and put their hip and cool “2XKO” abbreviation somewhere in the mix too. That said, dumb title aside, game will probably make a killing and have people wonder why all the other fighting games didn’t go free-to-play last gen...although fighting games should’ve went free-to-play after League of Legends showed what a good model that is. It’s actually kind of funny, League of Legends is why Capcom and Namco should’ve been doing F2P fighting games years ago, and a League of Legends fighting game will probably be why they go for it too late.

Tehdagah

Arcane
It a shame fighting games nowadays cost $150 ($60 of base game and $90 of DLC)

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
btw I like granblue just not enough to buy it hehe

It’s got a free-to-play version now.
I'm playing it the biggest problem is that 90% of the opponents are afk farming levels instead of playing the game lmao
Are you playing Casual matches? I've never had that problem in Ranked. And they're dropping an allegedly big balance patch next month, but mostly aimed at buffing the current punching bags. I really hope they also tune down 66L and remove Seox and Nier from the game

Sunri

Liturgist
btw I like granblue just not enough to buy it hehe

It’s got a free-to-play version now.
I'm playing it the biggest problem is that 90% of the opponents are afk farming levels instead of playing the game lmao
Are you playing Casual matches? I've never had that problem in Ranked. And they're dropping an allegedly big balance patch next month, but mostly aimed at buffing the current punching bags. I really hope they also tune down 66L and remove Seox and Nier from the game
Ranked but I didn't play too much so I'm on lowest rank

It a shame fighting games nowadays cost $150 ($60 of base game and $90 of DLC)

They should be free-to-play. Fighting games could be pulling in billions if they were F2P and reasonably priced. Very few people seem willing to do the buy in price of a fighting game. The best selling home release for a fighting game is Smash Bros. Ultimate. Nintendo announced last year that it’s sold over 32 million copies in around four and a half years. But nothing sells near that. The closest thing to Smash is Mortal Kombat, and that did 15 million is a little over three years. Everything else does less, and takes longer to do it.

But, MultiVersus had 20 million users in less than a month. That Ubisoft F2P platform fighter Brawlhalla that you never hear about... last year they announced 100 million players. I think the future of fighting games is a free to play model with much lower pricing points. This thing of going after whales, which make up an extremely low percentage of any games market, it’s fucking dumb.

Say Capcom release some new Marvel vs Capcom style fighting game tomorrow. 50 characters. MvC3 has 50 characters. It’s four vs four now...you need one more character than before. They say: We’re charging a dollar a character, you can unlock them by playing the game and getting points to unlock characters, but you can buy a character for a dollar. No sales or bundles either, just a simple low flat rate for everything. You play the game a bit, you want everyone right away, it’s $50. Basically the price of buying a new game, less even. Everyone also has 3 extra costumes right out of the gate. They’re .25¢. $37.50 for all 150 of them. Most people are probably going to think twice about spending $10 (or $5) on a digital costume in a video game, but they probably wouldn’t think twice about .25¢. A quarter is nothing. Ten bucks for one costume in a video game feels like a ripoff, ten buck for 40 costumes would seem like a deal to some people in comparison. If that game was able to get 20 million people playing it in under a month like MultiVersus did, and they were able to get just a quarter of those people to buy all the characters, and buy all the costumes, that’d be a more profitable game for Capcom (and in the first month) than MvC3 and Street Fighter 6. Something like over $100 million what Capcom made selling Street Fighter 6. If 95% of those 20 million people just bought ten characters, nothing else, that’d still be $190,000,000 in a month; if they were able to do that on a scale of 100 million people they’d just be shy of a billion dollars. If they got a quarter of a 100 million people to buy 50 characters for $50, that’d be over a billion dollars.

There seems to be something going on with that MultiVersus game. When I looked at its Steam numbers a little while ago there were over a 100 playing it. But it’s been offline since last year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom