Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play ADOM

abstract

Scholar
the RNG giveth, the RNG taketh away

spectre

Arcane
Horrible bad luck. One dwarf barbarian got an adamantium 2h sword of mayhem (7d5+18) in SMC, then got killed by several booby-trapped doors in a row.

Not necessarily bad luck, you just got cocky and prolly forgot to check for traps (iirc dwarf get detect traps initially), and if you checked and identified the trap, you knew the risks (-:
Happens all the time. You get too confident = death. Best to save the game at the point and wait it off.

almondblight

Arcane
Man, ADOM pisses me off again. I hate a roguelike that wants you to do trial and error, especially later in the game. Thankfully I'm save scumming so I don't screw up just trying to figure things out.

How do I raise toughness? I just downed about 18 Morgia roots and my toughness went up by....one point. Thanks.

spectre

Arcane
If you hate it so much this way, why not just spoil yourself anyways? Google for ADOM guidebook and read away. Though I admit, some of the fun is lost this way. With hindsight, I would prefer to save scum through my first game and just ask for bits of advice.

Toughness - certain undead corpses raise To but eating them is a chaotic act. You may also try the dwarven trainer. And there's the obvious method of using potions of Gain Atributes and Toughness.
Morgia works like this - you eat 4 or so roots, then wait until yu get the increase (it doesn't give a bonus straight away, just trains a stat, just like you would train strenght naturally by carrying heavy stuff).

almondblight

Arcane
Ummm....because I already read the guidebook? But the guidebook says something like "to raise toughness, eat 2 morgia at once". Ok, so I eat two one after another and nothing happens...then I down all 18...still nothing. Do I have to do something special to eat 2 at the same time? Then I travel around and my toughness starts to rise...but only to 13...because for some reason there's a max stat that I don't see talked about in the guidebook. But the part of the guidebook that talks about stats just says to eat a bunch of morgia...so...? This is what kind of sucks about the game.

spectre

Arcane
Yeah, that's what you do. Eat one then eat the other, then travel untill toughness rises.

When you hit racial maximum for Toughness (You can see them at the '@' screen) you need to eat 8. Then wait.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
You can always experiment with a potion of exchange. If your To is low, this might be a quite good idea if raising it is your goal.

abstract

Scholar
douchebag

I've been trying to get somewhere with a human merchant, unfortunately the best one so far died to a mixed vault on the bottom level of the puppy dungeon =[

spectre

Arcane
Merchants are tough to play, one of the toughest classes imo. They are a sorta-thief class with almost none of the perks at the start.

On the whole, their only saving grace is the detect item status (which doesn't do that much until you deveolp it a bit) and that they can use coins as deadly missiles - this can very well save your hide, and improves as you gain levels.

What lever were you, btw? If below 12, it might have been a better idea to level up in the infinite dungeon till 12 and then go for the healing quest.

Cloaked Figure said:
shit looks like it was done on ms paint.
:grafix whoar douchebag:

abstract

Scholar
They may be the toughest class actually, I found farmers, thieves and mindcrafters far easier. Apart from the detect item status skill they also have herbalism, can carry a lot of stuff around and auto-identify every item from their "specialization". The coins I'm not too fond of, except in the very beginning - the damage dice is too low and they don't count towards weapon proficiency.

The high score list says I was level 13. I always do the healing quest first, then go for the puppy cave, then to the high mountain village, then to the CoC. Mixed vaults suck really hard, but I would have made it had I not got cocky - never a good idea in ADOM, and especially not with a merchant.

Oh well, I'll keep plugging away, I have to make it someday :)

Lightknight

Liturgist
and that they can use coins as deadly missiles - this can very well save your hide, and improves as you gain levels.
Coins arent very deadly, at least i didnt find them to be so. Their only serious advantage is being able to pelt doppelgangers. And that you never really run out of ammo, obviously.

no worst class is fighter
Try having a dwarf fighter, smith your armour, and pick all the DV/PV perks with dwarf's exclusive Mithril Skin - near invincibility in melee.

almondblight

Arcane
spectre said:
Yeah, that's what you do. Eat one then eat the other, then travel untill toughness rises.

When you hit racial maximum for Toughness (You can see them at the '@' screen) you need to eat 8. Then wait.

Thanks, that helped a lot. It seems like you need 8 to raise the max, then eat 2 more to actually move it higher, right?

spectre

Arcane
Haven't played it for a long while, but it seems it goes like this - first 4 raise potential, second four rise the stat.

Korgan

Arbiter
Lol, I shot quarrels at a rust monster as a dwarf archer and it kept catching and eating them until it calmed down. Just when I thought TB's staggering attention to detail doesn't surprise me anymore... I really need to do the postcard quest someday.

Oh, and is there a list of the chargen questions' effects? I want to fine-tune my casters. There's one here, but some of the entries must be wrong, because a dark elf mindcrafter I was making with this ended up with 17 will or so.

Korgan

Arbiter
Found it myself, actually. Forgot to edit the post. I can now make 30 mana grey elf wizards! One already died to a mixed vault in UD. You know, a small one with random highly unplesant inhabitants.

spectre

Arcane
Heh, that's one of the essential skills in ADOM - knowing when to pull out, when NOT to go into melee with that Werewolf Lord, when NOT to attempt a Geater Undead Vault etc. Many a brave adventurer died this way (-;

garren

Arcane
Patron
Damn, I drained every pool in Darkforge with my Orc Barbarian so I could get a wish for an amulet of life saving (to save Khelavaster). Didn't get a single wish, but I did get doomed, cursed and other nasty things :cry:

Korgan

Arbiter
So, Mindcrafters get telekinesis type powers at higher levels that can shatter doors and stuff. I figure those work against anything, not just living sentinent creatures, right? Do undead cause backlash when hit by them?

Higher Game

Arcane
garren said:
Damn, I drained every pool in Darkforge with my Orc Barbarian so I could get a wish for an amulet of life saving (to save Khelavaster). Didn't get a single wish, but I did get doomed, cursed and other nasty things :cry:

Doomed characters can't get wishes.

MisterStone

Arcane
Korgan said:
So, Mindcrafters get telekinesis type powers at higher levels that can shatter doors and stuff. I figure those work against anything, not just living sentinent creatures, right? Do undead cause backlash when hit by them?

The TK powers use physical force to cause damage, so a MC an use them on undead with no repercussions, and even on mindless creatures that would be immune to mind attacks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom