Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play AI Dungeon World Edition | The World of Kedar: An Outcast's Tale

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
B

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The Bandwagon has decided to save m’lady.

Let’s see if this fiend goes down as easily as the others did.

Part 4: Savior

lIWWvIZ.png

Galik and Goliath charge the creature, holding their swords out in front of them. The demon turns its attention from the woman to the new threats. It swipes its claws at Goliath, tearing open his stomach, before seizing Galik's sword with its teeth and smashing him in the face with his own weapon.

Garth raises his mace and slams it down on the top of the demon's head, making it roar in pain. The creature grabs him by the arm and swings him into a tree, breaking his shoulder with a nasty crunch.

Goliath grunts as the demon hits him with its long claws, leaving several deep cuts in his face and arms. You take aim and fire a bolt of dark energy at the creature. The demon roars in pain as the blast hits it directly in the chest, making it fall back. It is slowed, but not stopped.

The woman finally snaps out if it and scrambles to get away from the demon, but stumbles and falls in the process. The demon turns towards her and howls, a long chilling scream that fills you with dread.
You have to act fast.

> You cast magic missile.
You quickly cast a magic missile, sending out several small bolts of light that hit the creature in the face. The demon roars and charges at you, leaping from fifteen feet away. You roll to the side, as its claws and teeth tear through the air where you were previously standing. You quickly stand and cast another bolt of magic at the creature, which howls again and falls back.

"Quickly! Attack while it's stunned!" Goliath yells, charging forward with his sword raised.
You watch as the demon recovers and once again comes after you. It swings its claw, tearing open your stomach and sending you to your knees. You scream in pain as blood pours through your shirt and runs down your legs. With a heavy blow, the creature slams you to the ground and howls again. Then, it stands over you, raising its claws and preparing to finish you off.

Its claws begin to lower as you stare up at your slayer. Suddenly, a bolt of lighting hits the creature in the side of the head, burning and melting its flesh. It collapses onto you and acid starts to leak from its body, burning through your clothes and filling the air with the smell of burning meat. In agony, you roll the corpse off of you and look up. The woman stands there, two fingers still touching the air where she had just cast her spell. She looks at you and watches you groan in pain.

"Come on!" she yells, grabbing your arm, "Can you walk?"
"Yeah," you groan, "I think so."
You slowly get to your feet as the woman grabs your hand to help pull you up.
You all retreat to the cabin and Garth begins healing your wounds.

"What's your name?" the woman asks.
"My name is Paorco," you say, "and yours?"
"Reyana," she responds, "I'm a mage of Kedarn."
"Well met, mage of Kedarn."
"These were no ordinary demons," she says, "they were unnatural. They had star like marks on their heads and their skin was paler than anything I've ever seen. There was something different about them."
"Probably because they were summoned," you say, "we're traveling to the mountains to find the summoning circle and destroy it. What were you doing out here anyway? You're a long way from Kedarn."
"We were traveling to the neighboring kingdom of Kense for an alliance when we were attacked. We got separated and I've been trying to find my way back."
"Well," you say, "you're going to have to come with us to the mountains."
"Actually, that would be great. I don't think I'll be able to find my own way back, I'm still not sure which way is which in this forest and now it's gotten dark."

You nod and start getting everything ready for the night. You prepare a stew over the fire and get out bedrolls for everyone. You're about to lay down for the night when you hear a howl coming from outside.
"Wolves," you say, "lock the doors."
You hear the creak as the door is opened and then closed. You grab your dagger and look out the window. You see a pair of red eyes staring back at you from the darkness.
"They're just watching for now," you say.
You spend the rest of the night waiting, watching, and listening in shifts. By the time the sun peeks up over the trees, the wolves are long gone and you're safe.
"Wolves aren't usually a problem, but I guess with the way things are they're desperate for food and less picky. We should be able to leave now."
"I can't thank you enough for saving me," Reyana says.
"It's not a problem, now come on let's go." you say.
You all mount your horses and travel north to the mountains.

The farther you travel the closer the mountains get. The eerie peaks loom over head, casting a shadow on your journey. You travel through the winding paths and trails of the foothills. Soon, you come to a fork in the road.
"Which way do we go?" you ask.
Galik gets off his horse and looks at the ground. He studies the earth for a moment and then points down one of the paths.
"This way," he says.
You all continue down the path until you reach the entrance of a cave.
"This is it," Galik says, "let's be careful."
You all walk into the cave, weapons drawn.

The inside isn't large, but there's a few twists and turns along the way. After a few minutes of cautious travel you see the cave open up. A large opening lays before you with faint sunlight peeking in from an exit far above you. You also notice a few piles of bones scattered around the floor.

"Keep an eye out for...," Galik says before being interrupted by a growl.
A Zombie comes out from behind a rock and lumbers towards you. You all back up and get into a defensive stance.
"Don't worry, these things can't harm us in the sunlight. Let's just go around."
You all cautiously move past the zombie and towards the exit. You're about halfway through the cave when you hear Galik shout.
"Goliath! Behind you!" he yells.

You turn around just in time to see Goliath being lifted into the air by some sort of tentacle monster. It's long, red tentacles wrap around his waist and chest, lifting him off the ground and onto its large bulbous body. The creature looks somewhat like an octopus, but much much larger. The body is at least twice the size of Goliath, and the tentacles seem to be roughly the same length. The creature has a horrible looking face with a row of teeth along its jawline, all pointed in different directions. It's skin is covered with warts and boils. A long tentacle comes out of its mouth and wraps around Goliath's neck, which it begins to squeeze.
"Shit! Get it off!" Goliath yells, dropping his sword.

You take a step back, unsure of what to do.

A. Approach the creature and see if you can free Goliath.
B. Use your magic to attack it from a distance.
C. Let the other's attack the creature and free Goliath while you watch their backs.

Feel free to suggest something else, but go ahead and vote on one of the options in case no one else agrees with your suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
B
Was there any indication that the last demon was much nastier the the first batch that were pushovers?

B
Was there any indication that the last demon was much nastier the the first batch that were pushovers?
Probably the fact that it was the size of a large bear. The increased difficulty took me a bit by surprise too though.

And the werewolf wasn’t a pushover. I tested what would happen if I just clicked forward and didn’t cast firebolt and it would have ripped your throat out in the next line.

Luckily for you, it turns out that fur is flammable. :M

I am pretty sure firebolt would have handled the demon as well.
Maybe, maybe not.

The game logic is somewhat random. There’s no dice, it just comes down to what the game feels is an appropriate next sentence.

For example, the stress of the situation could have caused you to fail the spell. Or it could have decided it would be more fitting and dramatic for the creature not to be affected by fire at all, especially since it had no hair.

Regardless, since you had pointed out that firebolt seemed OP, I thought it was important to try another spell.

:littlemissfun:

Bandwagon takes it again.

Will do an update later and see if we can Firebolt our way to victory. :M

Part 5: Awakening

5P0PqVh.png

> You cast firebolt at the tentacle monster.
You take a deep breath, close your eyes, and cast firebolt at the monster. The flames hit the red tentacle, but they have little effect. The creature squeezes tighter and smashes Goliath into the wall, killing him instantly.
"We should run," Galik says, sprinting towards the exit.
You take one last look at Goliath before leaving.

abxBz4F.png

You sprint through the cave, making it to the exit in just a few seconds.

You find yourself at the edge of a canyon with a river flowing just below. The water is flowing quite rapidly, and you can hear the sound of waterfalls not too far away. You look around and see that you're on a narrow path, with cliffs on either side.

"Keep your balance," Galik says, balancing himself.
You take the first few steps gingerly, but quickly gain confidence in your footing. You take long, sure steps. You keep your eyes on Galik the entire time, watching as the torrent of water gets closer and closer. You slowly move towards Galik, reaching the narrow part of the path. You look down. The river is raging, and you get the impression that if you were to fall off, you wouldn't have a good chance of surviving. The others in your party follow you closely. All of you are nervous, and none of you dare say a word.

You can feel the tension rising as you get closer to the end of the path. Finally, after what feels like an eternity, you step off the Cliffside Path onto a small patch of grassland. You let out a sigh of relief, and your fellow adventurers do likewise. "Whew, that was pretty scary," you say nervously.
"I'll say," Galik agrees. "I don't know how many times I almost fell off."
"You did great," you say. "It can be easy to lose concentration and fall if you don't stay focused. The trick is not look at the ground."

You arrive at the base of the cliffs, where the grassland meets a small forest. You walk into the forest, and take a break. The rest of your party goes off to find wood for a fire. You sit down against a tree and close your eyes. Sometime later, you open your eyes and ask "Is the fire ready?"
"Yeah, come and grab some if you want," Galik says.
"Go ahead," I say. "I'll get some later."
You watch them walk away, and think about Goliath. He died a few hours ago. You can't believe it. He was so strong, so brave. And now he's dead. You sigh, and stand up. You have to talk with the others.

You reach the campfire, and see that everyone has a seat. You stand and wait for them to notice you. After a few minutes, they do. "Come on, sit down," says Galik. You open your mouth to speak, but you're so nervous that all that comes out is a weak croak. You try again. This time, your voice is stronger. "I think we should talk about Goliath." The others all agree.
"Yes, we should," says Galik. "We'll miss him."
"I... I feel sad," you say.
"It's OK to be sad," says Gabri.
After a pause, Galik stands up, and raises a glass bottle full of a clear liquid. "To Goliath!" he shouts, and downs the contents of the bottle. The rest of your companions do likewise, and soon the empty bottle is tossed into the fire. You down your drink, and find it's warming effect very welcome.
"Right then," says Gabri. "Who's taking first watch?"

You all decide who will be on watch, and who will sleep. Someone shakes you awake some time later. "Your turn for watch," they say. All around you, your companions are fast asleep, snoring loudly. You groggily stand up and walk outside. You don't feel sleepy at all. You look up at the moon, then around you, surveying your surroundings. After a few minutes, you head back inside to keep warm, and sit down next to the fire to stay warm until it's time to wake the next person for their watch. You quickly fall asleep, and begin to dream...

You are stood, naked, in a huge, empty white room. You know you are dreaming, and try to wake yourself up. You try to speak, but no sound comes out. Suddenly, the walls of the room melt away, and you find yourself standing on a narrow walkway surrounding a huge pit. Thousands of figures surround you, their faces masked, wearing red robes. They hold books in their hands, and they begin to shout and scream at you. The sound is terrifying, like a whirlwind approaching, growing louder and louder. You back away from the edge of the pit and fall over, and one by one, the figures in red begin to jump over the edge. You try to scream, but again no sound comes out. Instead, you find yourself standing in the center of a red-robed faceless horde, all jumping into the pit around you...

You awake with a start. Something is different. The air feels heavier, more intense. Your skin begins to tingle and you feel... Hungry. A strange urge floods into your mind. You feel an overpowering desire to sink your teeth into the neck of the sleeping Halfling next to you. You know it would be so easy to reach over and do it...

You shake your head and stand up, walking outside. There's a chill in the air, and the half moon is shrouded by thick dark clouds. You shiver, despite the cold, and begin to walk away from camp. You have to get away. The desire is overwhelming, and you feel like a drink of the Halfling's blood would sate it...
You scream out loud and throw a rock into the forest, watching it disappear into the trees. Still, the desire is there, filling your mind with dark thoughts and images. The corners of your vision are tinted red, and you feel an emptiness in your chest, like part of you has been scooped out and replaced with malice. You take a deep breath, try to focus your mind, and...

Finally, after several minutes, the feeling subsides. You take a deep breath and find that you're sweating profusely. It's the demon blood inside you. The demonic influence is affecting you, and it's getting stronger. You know you have to do something, but you don't want to leave your friends behind. They're all you have in this world...

A rustle of leaves interrupts your thoughts. You look up, and see a hooded figure standing on top of the hill, looking down at you. By their stature and build, they seem to be a man, but their face is obscured by the darkness inside the hood. Still, you feel like this person is looking into your soul.
You reach for your dagger, but realize you've left it in the tent. You look behind you, and see your friends are still fast asleep in the camp. The figure does not move, but instead raises their arms at you in a menacing way and breaks into laughter. It's a cruel sound that chills you to the bone.

"So!" the figure says, it's voice deep and foreboding. "It seems the demonic blood runs through you."
"W-who are you?" you ask. "What do you want?"
"Many things," the figure says, the laugh still lingering. "But for now, I'm here to welcome you into the fold. The demonic realm sends its regards and offers an alliance to bring forth the apocalypse. We have great plans for you."

You feel a new sense of power welling up inside you. You raise your hands and see them begin to emanate a dark red glow.
The hooded demon laughs again. "Your birthright has been long hidden from you. Thanks to our intervention, the chains of servitude have fallen off and you are free to use your power. You now have the ability to change your form into that of a demon. Try it."

You concentrate hard, focusing on your new found talent. You feel your body twist and contort, your face stretching and growing horns. You raise your hand up to your face and see black claws where your fingers used to be. A black tail, thin and whiplike, swishes behind you.

The figure continues. "We can offer you revenge on the world of man. We can offer you a kingdom of your own to rule and destroy and raise undead armies. We can offer you power unimaginable. All we ask in return is your allegiance and your service."
A twisted scepter appears in the hooded figure's hand. It resembles a spine of some great beast with a large gem as its crown.

You stand there for a moment, feeling your new demonic powers well up inside you.

A. Accept his offer.
B. Reject his offer.
C. Attack him.

Before anyone thinks it: this wasn't me punishing you for the firebolt thing. It's the first response the game gave me. My guess is that it looked at the fact the tentacle was red and assumed it was immune to fire.

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that the clear solution was to use crown of madness to get the tentacle monster to attack Reyana instead, thereby getting us access to the secret hentai route. :M

Part 6: Destiny

0q3fChW.jpg

> You leap forward and slash at him with your claws.

You leap forward to slash at him with your claws, but as you do so, he swings the scepter and a shock of energy hits you in the chest, throwing you off him. You skid to a halt and look up at him from the ground.

"That was hardly sporting," he says. "Very well, I suppose I can forgive you that attack." He turns and begins to walk away.

> You run at him again and try to grab the scepter.

You leap forward to grab the scepter, but he pushes you to the side, sending you sprawling. He raises it to point directly at you.

"Good," he says. "Very good. I think you'll do very well indeed."

You look up at him and try to get back to your feet.

"What are you?" you ask.

He smiles and leans down.

qXQfdTm.jpg

"I," he says softly, "am destiny." He stares at you for a moment and begins to laugh softly. Then he turns and disappears into the forest in the direction of the mountain.

You struggle to your feet, seeking to pursue him in your anger and begin to move forward, only to be stopped by a wall of fire that springs up behind him, blocking your path.

You let out a breath and look around, the bloodlust pounding within you.

A. You return to the camp and slaughter your party in their sleep.
B. Return to the camp and eat the halfling.
C. Return to the camp and make the woman your slave.
D. Try to overcome the bloodlust and return to half-demon form.
E. Try to overcome the bloodlust and go back to your camp in full demon form.
F. Abandon your party and continue your quest on your own.

And D wins by the skin of its teeth.

Glad it wasn't a bandwagon this time. That's usually a sign of boring or obvious choices on my part. (Though I guess that's bound to happen with so few people participating.)

Update on the way.

Part 7: Black Cube

jws3fQR.jpg

> You control yourself and shapeshift back into your normal half-demon form.
You let out a breath and take a moment to calm yourself. You focus your mind, carefully controlling the transformation, until you once again take on your human-like form. You breathe a sigh of relief and begin to head back to camp where you find your party just waking up. You don't tell them what transpired between you and the robed figure. You don't have the words.
Instead, you just try to focus on the task at hand.

> You lead the others in the direction the hooded figure went once the fires die down.
You lead the others in the direction the hooded figure went once the fires die down.
You walk for at least two miles, but you don't see any trace of him. He seems to have disappeared into thin air.

> You search the area for traces of demon activity. Try to find where the demons and night creatures are being summoned.
You see a black stone outcrop jutting from the mountainside and decide it would be best to check it out.
You try to keep low and sneak up on the outcrop but soon find that it isn't an outcrop at all. The outcrop is actually a huge, cube-shaped building made of black stone. The entrance lies on the side facing you, and you can see a number of demons milling about outside.
You also see humans in the mix, dressed in red hooded robes like ones from your dream. They seem to be equally divided between men and women. Most have symbols of six-pointed stars on their robes.
This is all the information you need. You've found the location of the dark summoner and his band of demonic allies. The problem is, you and your party are vastly outnumbered. The demons outside are only the ones you see. Who knows how many are in there? If you're lucky, the summoner himself is here and you can take him out now, but that's a gamble.
You turn to the group and discuss a battle plan.
"We're outnumbered and unprepared. There's no way we can take that place, not when we don't know what's waiting for us in there." Gabri says.
He makes a valid point. Your party seems to think things through, realizing that it's suicide to attack now.
"We need to gather more allies before we take this place." You say.
Your plan is met with mixed responses. Some of your companions want to help you gather more warriors, but others want to take the place now before the dark summoner can make anymore demons.

A. Rush the front entrance now and hope the element of surprise wins the day.
B. Send Galik alone to scout the building and look for a secret entrance or other weakness, preparing to attack on your own.
C. Wait and see if you can ambush some of the cultists and take their robes as disguises.
D. Retreat back to the city of Alsak and try to get aid from the military or other adventurers.
E. Order your party to retreat to Alsak for military aid while you stay behind and try to infiltrate the building yourself. Your demon form will make a better disguise than any robes.
F. Order your party to camp nearby while you infiltrate in your demon form.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom