Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play Automation - Patriot Motors

Before I start with the game proper just few quick notes. I intend this to be full length play-trough from 1946 all the way to 2020. I will include exported BeamNG version of every car I end up producing in the campaign. However keep in mind this is first and foremost an Automation LP which means I will be aiming more to optimize cars so they sell better rather than to drive as nicely as possible in BeamNG.

Anyway let's fire up the game.

Update 1:

I chose to start my company in country of not-USA, pardon I mean Gasmea. We also start with access to Hetvesia which is not-western Europe & Scandinavia. In 1970 we will also gain access to market in Fruinia (not-Japan). We will have to wait until 1990 to enter markets in Archana (some commie thirdworldia I guess?) and Dalluha (not-Dubai).

This isn't some kind of challenge run so I chose reasonable difficulty setting with x4 score multiplier, medium market volatility, level 1 dealerships in Gasmea to have a bit easier/faster start, no free tech advantage, full score for competing cars and instead of starting with factory I will instead start with a small loan of a billion dollars (not actually a loan). Wayyy more than I would need for a normal play-through start however to make things more interesting rather than profitably producing 2-3 types of cars in 2-3 factories for most of the game (it's called lite campaign for a reason) I will want to aim to become more of a not-Ford of not-USA and produce as many different types of cars as I can right from the start of the game.

tE8qAo5.png

Well time to make our first car. We'll start of with reasonable family sedan.

gOI24ev.png

Steel panels, steel ladder chassis. Nothing fancy. I do pick nice independent suspension setup. We want the car to be comfortable and nice to drive.

UN7693t.png

Time to make the engine. Inline 6 will do perfectly for our comfortable family car. We will be able to make engines with up to 3.4 litre capacity using this block however we won't be needing that much power in this car yet, still nice to have the option to increase displacement in future revisions.

AdTI128.png

Regular cast iron internals. I also reduce bore on this particular variant to 81mm. Just under 2.8L sounds good.

TYfHYZ4.png

Well this won't be revving too high.

REdu7Rk.png

No forced induction available yet.

FrfNgkl.png

Regular single barrel carb, we'd need 2 eco variants for the power this engine will produce and that would be more expensive and impact reliability and maintenance costs, since we're Gasmean we don't care too much about fuel efficiency. Still I run it rather lean. Redline at 3700rpm.

I5tx37b.png

Nothing too fancy here. Regular short cast headers. Two mufflers so car is as quiet as possible, I restrain it a tiny little bit on exhaust diameter so it's more efficient and quieter.

Lfw2VjL.png

All that's left is to paint the engine so it's all pretty.

kZpdh7M.png

That's done. Engine sounds ok I guess. Produces 73 horsepower at 3400rpm. It's pretty smooth and quiet. Runs on regular leaded gasoline and weighs only 235 kilograms. Ehm.. Anyway that's done. Back to car I guess.

nysRpwR.png

There she is. You can also admire our ladder chassis in the screenshot. Yes it's rear wheel drive, like pretty much all cars from this era.

HRPQsWk.png

Manual transmission with... 2 gears. Yeah kind of crappy but makes the car easier to operate I guess? Second gear is pretty much going to be "highway mode". It won't be much of a hill climber for sure. Top speed just under 160km/h (we'll get back to this in a moment). Very impressive for a family car from this year.

C8ReUqm.png

Long life hard compound for tires. Equal size wheels to keep costs down, this is mass production model so that type of optimization is important. Largest tyre diameter I can fit on this car so I can fit the biggest rims I can. Reason being..

HCsVX4g.png

So I can fit biggest drum brakes I can. Brakes are by far the biggest problem to deal with when designing cars with this old 1946 tech. Producing power at no point in game is going to be a problem. I could easily design massive 400hp or even more V16 engine right now. There would be no point though, there would be no way to actually put all that power to the ground because of poor tire performance and such car would be very heavy and impossible to stop with those crappy drum brakes. Anyway I have to say I'm quite proud of what I managed to achieve here. Usually my 1946 designs have a bunch of yellow warnings about poor brake performance. Not on this one. I even could significantly soften brake pads to make the car more comfortable. Man I really did great on this.

0GPlWi0.png

Whole bunch of extra engine cooling for improved reliability and if you notice on the right I significantly decreased aero quality. Why you ask? So I can keep the top speed just below 160km/h. If the car was any faster I would have to pay extra for better tires that can withstand that speed. Cost optimization is the name of the game. I suppose it will also save little bit of engineering time.

06fUiqv.png

2+3 in the back seating. Standard interior trim and no extras. Instead of expensive and heavy radio you can listen to the beautiful sound of straight 6 engine.

4tLLg2U.png

Best safety features we can get. I also put 2 extra quality points into steering since car is gonna weight over 1 ton so you know engineers can put some extra time into making it bit easier to turn the steering wheel. No power steering just yet.

doZT4zZ.png

Suspension setup focused on comfort and ease of driving. Little bit negative camber, just below point where it would start increasing tyre wear. Maintenance costs of the car also matter to potential buyers especially in this segment.

kguG6UK.png

0-100km/h in 22 seconds! Ok .... pretty slow in modern terms but for this year it's actually pretty damn good for a family sedan. Very front heavy weight distribution.. eh well can't be helped. In simulated lap on test track it did it in 3 minutes 32 seconds.

fg52s3H.png

BTW if you're gonna try playing this game make sure to check out Detail Stats, you can find a lot of useful info to help you optimize your car there. For instance look at handling and brakes effect on comfort score. That big minus is pretty much entirely from steering penalty and that's after I told engineers to improve that! Well no way around it you either build little, light un-Gasmean cars with piddly 3 cylinder engines to make that penalty smaller or well.. eat the penalty and put money into R&D of driver assists to get that power steering ASAP but more on research in future updates. For now let's just finish our first car...

6WrAEnm.png

Quick look on how we're scoring with different demographics so far.. and it's looking very good indeed. Lots of bright green and we like green, paper especially.

dO3FBmS.png

Car is looking like this right now so I'll try my best to put some fixtures on to make it look bit better, especially since we're exporting it to BeamNG. Might as well make it look like an actual functional car.

wTJ7ZKi.png

Aaaaand it's done. Since plan is to make lots of different cars in this LP I don't want to spend too much time on each individual car. Generally I'll try to make some kind of basic design without too many details or complex fixture arrangements, especially since frankly I'm not good at that. With that said if I may say so myself I did pretty good job on this car I think.

NoowQsN.png

Back of the car.

0U3JGeP.png

Most importantly I picked the most patriotic of symbols for Patriot Motors, a patriotic motor company.

SA2U9jo.png

What? Surely you didn't think we're quite done yet? Designing pretty car is one thing, actually putting it into production is another. I won't be doing any extra variants of this car, not yet anyway. It's family sedan or nothing. I called it Patriot M-1 as in Model-1. It's abbreviated to single letter in typical Gasmean fashion. We will be doing it a lot. Also S stands for standard, 48 since I'm aiming for that year to release the car.

WFzCLG7.png

I didn't start with factory so we'll have to build one from scratch. I buy large plot of land in Gasmea with potential future factory expansion in mind.

ReC8Hoa.png

Medium 2 size, since I started with extra point in dealership network I think I should be able to sell enough cars, we'll see I guess. Steel presses since we need that to produce steel body panels.

aQxqW40.png

Click, click .. man this is taking a lot of time.

trBcvhO.png

Right, I'll leave those sliders on default setting for now investing more in automation would be bit pricey and lowering it makes no sense on mass production car, we also don't have to invest significantly into build quality since well it's mass production family car not luxury grand tourer. We should be fine as long as doors won't fall of on their own.

7LyLwqn.png

We get juicy 36 month reduction on engineering time since this is our first car. I'll get back to this section later.

Okj4mxk.png

First I need to set up engine production.

3EJ8rrq.png

Engine factory will be notch smaller since those early game engines aren't very complicated and don't take too many man hours to produce and we won't be using this engine in other cars just yet. We have to build iron foundry since block and internals are all cast iron.

bIA8juB.png

Same thing as with car.

r3m1uVk.png

If you look at the graph and squint hard enough you'll notice blue line is juuust under the yellow line that means our medium 1 engine factory will just about be able to produce more engines than our medium 2 car factory will need. Very nice.

Ktec79p.png

Ok just what I was looking for. It will take 29 months to finish building our larger factory. This is the deadline for our engineers. When that factory is finished I want it to start producing brand new shiny Patriots M-1 immediately.

VnrcUR3.png

Back to engineering screen. Thanks to the 36 months bonus I can actually put some time into increasing production efficiency, reliability and more than anything just put less pressure on engineers which helps with reliability a little bit since well they won't be quite as rushed to put it out the door but more importantly it will increase our engineering familiarity gain for this car. Which is .. I might explain it more in some future update, this is taking too long..

UTYRkXv.png

Same for engine.

OXC35Fi.png

Almost there.. Interestingly enough you could run full 24 hour 3 shifts on production line. Problem would be you'd have to pay more for those late night shifts and importantly it would leave no down time which means no time to do maintenance on those lines. Your production tools would wear out very quickly, which costs money to fix/replace and eventually would cause production quality problems. Honestly this game is complicated. I don't know if you guys noticed.

Anyway I set initial price at 7.5k which should net us tidy profit and still leave plenty room for dealerships to put their margins in as well, that should help us grow our dealership network quicker and thus sell more cars more quicker.

g9MCQxt.png

Everything seems in order. Car is set to release in June 1948.

e1AUkdb.png

We won't be needing loan. Well I guess the car is done and ready to be signed off on. First car. Ok, this update is long enough already. Maybe I'll get to unpause the game in next update... maybe. In any case I'll be a lot less verbose from now on. I wanted to show off more how the game works at least on first car. On future cars I'll stick more to just showing off the results rather than the process.

j1zAjK5.png

I guess the one last thing to do in this update is to give it a spin in BeamNG and see how it drives.

VCL24eS.jpg

It's pretty nice actually (for 1948 family sedan)? Well the gearbox is ... not very good, it really could use that 3 gear buuut as I said in the beginning this is Automation LP so I suppose some compromises have to be made to build profitable cars. Also don't push brake pedal all the way down when braking at very high speeds. If you just floor it, it could make the car bit unstable.

Here is the file:

https://www23.zippyshare.com/v/SJeLIE9D/file.html

I think it should work if you just drop the zip file in BeamNG mod folder. If there is some problem let me know. I can always just recover my password for BeamNG site and upload the mod into mod repository like a normal person. Also make sure to give it a spin and let me know how it feels. You know maybe write a little review or something.

Last edited:
Update 2:

Remember when I said we won't be using our inline 6 engine in other cars just yet? Turns out I lied. See when I was thinking about what kind of car to do next I initially wanted to make some kind of sports inclined car with propa V8 engine but then I realized you can't call yourself REAL Gasmean car company without pickup truck in line-up. It plain makes sense to make one anyway since utility car market in Gasmea is after family cars second largest.

So there it is. Imaginatively called Patriot T-1. Slated to come out in 1950 since we won't be getting engineering time reduction on this car, I had to pump a lot of extra funding into it as it is. At least Model-1 is truly going to be that.

pZ0P4rR.png

Back of the car in all it's brown glory.

jBjwM1w.png

I gave it 3 gear manual since it kind of needs it. Manual locker differential and off-road tires because utility market likes some extra off-roading ability. I also had to give it wishbone suspension in front since any cheaper more off-road/load capacity options were giving me huge understeering warning which I just couldn't fix otherwise. I still get big yellow warning about excessive wheelspin because of how gearing is set up but that doesn't matter since benefits outweigh wheelspin score penalty by a large margin.

iDfwJvV.png

Unsurprisingly it isn't very fast around test track.

og6qpZ5.png

Scoring nicely with focus test groups. Man it sure is a gas guzzler.

W5KGKKr.png

I also made cargo variant.

pm4Jal4.png

No locker and regular hard long life tires since delivery doesn't care about that.

gMbaUys.png

Slightly faster since aerodynamics matter I guess.

FW3VM5J.png

Looking good as well.

ippAQk5.png

I had to increase engine factory size and put some extra money into automation to match production load. I still have some money left.. maybe I'll get to do this sports car after all? We'll see in next update.

iWJ5RZD.png

Bit of a test drive in mountains.

QJ5WMz5.jpg

I noticed some visual glitches on the car. Well exporter isn't perfect I guess. Still it's kind of impressive that there is one at all.

g1sMRSs.png

Bit of a uhhhh.. crash test with the van.

9mDaGwq.jpg

As usual here are links to BeamNG versions of the cars.

S50:
https://www38.zippyshare.com/v/YVqfdlaN/file.html

C50:
https://www38.zippyshare.com/v/KjL2rHII/file.html

Last edited:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Can you make a pick-up that would remove the Toyato Hillux from its quasi-monopolistic position on the high-end technical market ?

This is the Codex after all.

Update 3:

Good news everyone! I did indeed have enough cash left for a sports car.

Introducing Patriot Motors GT. Weirdly enough even though it's called GT it's not aimed at that market at all, instead it actually is 2 seater soft top convertible sports car.

3trzsVZ.png

It has very important sporty feature of side mounted exhaust pipe. Tires are well smaller than I would like them to be so instead I used soft sports compound to improve grip and braking performance. Also double wishbones in front and back. Since it's going to be smaller production car anyway using aluminium body panels lets me build it in small factory since I won't be requiring expensive steel presses (that need at least medium size factory).

piCyHxo.png

Yeah it's not that fast but we're kind of limited by the tire tech anyway.

qsapOn5.png

As I said not a GT car at all.

wExzyjV.png

Let's not forget this beast powering it. We'll be able to increase displacement on this family of engines all the way up to 6.2 litres.

6rQOlFe.png

Since putting in more power would just make it spin tires in place faster first variant is "only" just under 4.6L. Because it's rather large and V8s aren't quite as well balanced as I6s it's not quite as silky smooth as the other engine but it sure does produce a lot more power with relatively smaller weight increase and since it's much shorter it also contributes to significantly improving weight distribution in the car. Which is quite good at just 51.6% in front.

OAyeI0e.png

All right, I'll make sure to double check everything later but it does seem like finally it's going to be time to sign off on those projects and hope company doesn't go bankrupt when I unpause the game. There is still little bit of money to put into marketing and R&D.

k6Uscfa.png

Car feels pretty good to me, definitely you can have some fun in it. 4 gear manual is huge improvement over the M-1.

K9sjSmW.jpg

Because of tyre compound it doesn't do that great on loose surfaces but that's to be expected.

shREww3.jpg

And here is the car:
https://www6.zippyshare.com/v/uwD7bboE/file.html

Last edited:
Update 4:

Time to put those cars into production. Before I do that though let's go through research and marketing first.

The way research works is you always have access to standard widely available technologies. That however isn't good enough especially when you consider engineering times. By the time your current technology car enters production it will be mostly already outdated. You can help with that by putting money into research. 1 point is 1 year ahead of the curve.. eventually, your current tech level builds up over time to reach set funding goal. I put +1 point more into everything temporarily to speed it up a little bit since I want to make sure to unlock few things before 1950. As I reach the desired level I will drop funding back 1 point to simply maintain it. 2 leading shoe drum brakes are number one priority. I also put more points into wheels even though I won't unlock any particular technology like that. Reason is simple, tech gets better over time, those 3 points of tech will simply improve performance of tires we already have access to. Another big tech I want is monocoque chassis. It's much better than ladder chassis and we can mass produce it with just steel presses that we need for body panels anyway. One issue is it's rather expensive on engineering time which is why I'd like to start using it and earning familiarity with it ASAP especially since we'll be using this type of chassis until the end of game on most of our cars. We'll see about that though. Building another medium factory for entirely new car model isn't cheap.

jUUNg4I.png

To be honest I don't know too much about how marketing actually works. I'll just put some money in and hope for the best, is that going to be too much, too little? I have no idea. The reason you want to market your cars is to raise awareness level, if you put money into marketing for instance safety features of your cars it will help raise awareness of your brand in demographics that care about that. Awareness level essentially dictates how big % of the market you even get to compete in. I think.

Z92ZnIj.png

Projects are lined up, time to start the game (it only took 4 updates!).

iM0Ntzi.png

1 year in we're bleeding money like crazy. 20 millions per month. Good news is that it means we won't have to pay any taxes. Also first pre-orders for M-1 started to trickle in.

zdXaUQm.png

We're about to produce our first car. 9.5 months of orders backlog seems promising. What has me kind of worried is that it looks like we're about to enter recession.

lEpjBZI.png

It's selling well but we're still burning money because of factory construction for other projects.

O5EW5Qo.png

It's 1950 and other cars are about to enter production. 182 million left in the bank, pre-order numbers for new cars aren't too crazy. Notably GT model seems to have lost a lot of competitive edge since it was designed, some other company must have made very impressive sports car, tough market I guess. Also safety regulations got updated. Pretty irrelevant to us considering our cars heavily exceed even the planned regulations. Both markets we have access to are really keen on safety features so it makes sense to invest into that anyway.

xTRsU6S.png

One last look at R&D screen before I start on 1955 line-up refresh using that new tech.

9Hw3SFp.png

BTW I noticed thread has gotten bit picture heavy so I tried putting them in spoilers in this update, is that preferable? If people want I can go back and edit previous posts like that too. It also occurred to me putting text before picture I'm commenting on might make it easier to know what you're looking at. Does that make LP easier to read?

Last edited:
BTW I noticed thread has gotten bit picture heavy so I tried putting them in spoilers in this update, is that preferable? If people want I can go back and edit previous posts like that too. It also occurred to me putting text before picture I'm commenting on might make it easier to know what you're looking at. Does that make LP easier to read?
Maybe shorter posts so we get quicker to the next page? Pictures load just as slow even when they're in spoiler tags.

Does that make it easier to read though?
Pictures in or out of spoiler tags: no big difference either way. Maybe slight preference for without, so you don't have to click them open one by one.
Text above pictures seems to be clearer than below pictures. I got confused in the first posts "does this text go with picture above or below?". Or maybe just have a line or two of extra space between picture and description pairs. (Like that last update seems to have...)
Lot of pictures on one page: need some patience for waiting for the pictures to load and the page ceasing its jumping up and down. Maybe that's appropriate for this kind of game.

Ok thanks. I'll try to edit previous posts like that. Though it's still bothering me how hard it is to scroll through this thread. Maybe I'll just put entire update into one big spoiler? Anyway I'm almost done with 1955 batch of cars. I just need to put some fixtures on last car and I should be able to start writing up updates tomorrow or maybe even later today if I have the time. I also might record short clip from BeamNG test drive to see if that's something people would like to see. I definitely won't be doing it for every car though.

I've been playing GearCity a bit lately, and it's interesting to compare Automation to it. Biggest difference seems to be that this is more engineering-focused while GearCity's focus is more on the business-side.

Update 5:

It is finally time to go through 1955 line-up. It's pretty much a refresh of our current cars however there are some new additions. Obvious place to start is M-1.

S55 has slightly better acceleration and slightly better top speed, much improved brakes and cornering grip. 3:19.05 track time reflects those improvements over S48 model which needed 3:32.65.

Bgbljvu.png

We also updated safety features to new advanced 50's standard. That's not all though. It is now equipped with brand new revolutionary duo-matic automatic gearbox (trademark, copyright, original name do not steal). Folks, these automobiles are now so easy to drive like you wouldn't believe. Child or EVEN a woman could do it! I swear!

Because we're just doing update to already engineered car and we have 5 years to do it I figured out we could easily squeeze in development of new variant for M-1.

That's right, it's a station wagon. I'm sure everyone is super excited.

s0HNMwy.png

Since we made extra space in the back I added some extra detachable/foldable/whatever seats. Utility family market seems to like those a lot and point of making different variants is to better cater to specific demographics.

903OVHS.png

Updated engine now uses 2 barrel carb and reverse flow mufflers. It's also bit more aggressively tuned. I wanted to put some extra power into the car so it doesn't feel slower with the automatic gearbox.

SX6aRqP.png

17 more horsepower, 500rpm higher redline and higher fuel efficiency. I mean it's just better.

0NIkIrk.png

I also tried recording short clips from BeamNG since I figured out this might be more interesting and give better idea about the car than just throwing bunch of numbers at readers, you also get to hear the engine.

Nothing too exciting in this update though, just a small comparison between S48 and S55.

Short video clips or screenshots, which is better and why? DISCUSS!!!111eleven11!

Update 6:

Not much to say about updated trucks. They also got automatic gearbox, updated safety and new engine variant with increased bore and bit more power than standard version of the engine, it's also very slightly differently tuned.

oubyOX9.png

I have been informed that some not at all suspicious bearded people with towels on their heads inquired about feasibility of converting our pick-up truck into something called "technical". Well, let's test that, shall we?

As you can see even if it isn't a proper off-roader at all it still can get into places and can easily handle dirt and sand.

I can't use actual AA gun due to... legal reasons but we can simulate it's weight. Let's see how it will handle over a ton of rocks in the bed.

Ok, it does ride a bit low... but the engine can handle it no problem. Perhaps something to improve in next model? In the meantime you can use one of these no problem.

M8YE152.jpg

With that out of the way Patriot GT update is next. Stay tuned.

Update 7:

From pre-order data it doesn't look like first version of GT is going to be big financial success. However I'm not about to throw in the towel on it just yet. After looking at the problem more closely I concluded that while car actually still scores nicely with intended demographics what makes it a lot less attractive is somewhat less attractive price. My mistake was trying to squeeze it in into the line-up on the cheap with what little money I had left. That means small scale production out of small factory, hand built and all that. That inflated final sticker price bit beyond average budget of intended demographics. Funnily enough if I actually targeted GT market I probably could have gotten away with it.

Anyway, 55 model. What's the difference? Quite a lot actually. Wider wheels with a lot more grip in them. Better brakes, slightly stiffer and lower suspension and most importantly new much more powerful version of the engine.

LqNoPXn.png

50 more horsepower and while it does run on more expensive super leaded gasoline instead of regular, greatly improved fuel efficiency thanks to new carburettors and significantly increased compression helps to offset that. Our main market is Gasmea so there will be no availability issues like if I tried to sell car running super leaded in Archana for instance. Honestly I should have done that from the start, then again probably not a big difference considering 50 model was hamstrung by thin bicycle tires, not lack of power. Well it's not last mistake I made so far but more on that later.

99ZYgz2.png

All of that results in 20 sport score compared to 8.5 in old model and 2:46.02 lap time around test track. Huge improvement over GT50.

3GQktJj.png

But wait there is more! Since again this is already engineered car, making some improvements to it is much quicker than doing entirely new car from scratch which means I made the actual 4 seater GT version of it.

5urUi1z.png

It's slightly heavier and tamer than the 2 seater convertible version, suspension is tuned slightly more towards comfort and I upgraded interior and entertainment package from premium to luxury. I called it ... 4GT. Yeah, yeah I need to work a bit on the names.

Wait a second though. Didn't you say price was the problem? Yes, yes I did and I'm happy to say I made very significant improvement on that front as well. The more expensive 4GT model with the luxury interior package is now projected to be cheaper than the initial price on GT50. How did I achieve that? Well some of that came from investment of engineering time. However that wouldn't make that much difference by itself.

The big improvement is the engine actually. Since Patriot GT was the only car using this V8 and its low volume production car the engine was also pretty much hand built out of some workshop. That made per unit price bit high. I lowered it by designing entirely new higher volume model that will use the same V8 engine which now will be produced in medium 1 factory. More on that in next update though.

I suppose all I have left to do in this update is quick test drive in BeamNG.

I have to say that side mounted exhaust was a great idea. Look at all that coal it's rolling at the start! I mean that's one patriotic car right there. :salute:

I do struggle with the controls a little bit but that's because I recorded these before I went and fixed my controller inputs in options, turns out small joystick input doesn't translate well 1:1 into full blown steering wheel. Who would have thought? Anyway not fault of the car, I promise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom