Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Betrayal At Krondor (COMPLETED)

Xorazm

Cipher
Just dropping in to say how much I appreciated this walkthrough.

Looking over it all again, it blows my mind how much narrative depth there was for a game that came out in 1993. I even picked up a walkthrough (big, book sized motherfucker) when I was a kid to extract as much marrow from this game as possible and still there's so many layers I never quite put together. The comment a few pages back about how the person who most likely freed you from the prison at the opening of Chapter 4 being most likely Makala or one of the Six closes off a question that has been puzzling me for decades.

Looking back, it's easy to see why this game became a cult classic instead of the widely adored, widely remembered masterpiece that it should be, and that's because it's just so fucking _dense._ The amount of narrative depth you need to penetrate in order to not just understand the story, but to simply advance it, is orders of magnitude higher than anything else on the market, either then or now. You have a title with quite possibly the most complex narrative ever attempted in a game running on technology that came out in 1993. It was simply too ambitious for its time and maybe for this time as well.

Last edited:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
(Gorath looking so old was probably just a stylistic design choice to give him a sort of "old cunning wolf" look. It's weird, anyway, since Feist's elves aren't actually supposed to show real signs of age. The only elves who actually appear old are the eldar, who grow about a thousand years old and even then it's more a sort of bleached paleness and transparent skin than outright grey hair. Gorath is supposed to be 359, if memory doesn't fail. Can't remember whether it's mentioned in the book or the game, though. And he and Delekhan and their respective clans were pretty much blood enemies from the very start.)
I am 8 years late in responding to this, but Gorath's aging and bearding was a stylistic design choice not chosen by the writers nor makers of the game.

It was entirely the choice of a very rebellious, very unstable artist who wanted to do things his way. This was an accident, but it unintentionally gave a lot more meaning to the game. Gorath came off as an elf who withered many scars in his life, and his appearance showed it.

Many people complained of the elven king showing his scars in the Hobbit movie, but it was a welcome deviation imo. Elves being portrayed as flawless, perfect, and with no signs of ageing - frankly - makes them boring.

Hekateras

Educated
(Gorath looking so old was probably just a stylistic design choice to give him a sort of "old cunning wolf" look. It's weird, anyway, since Feist's elves aren't actually supposed to show real signs of age. The only elves who actually appear old are the eldar, who grow about a thousand years old and even then it's more a sort of bleached paleness and transparent skin than outright grey hair. Gorath is supposed to be 359, if memory doesn't fail. Can't remember whether it's mentioned in the book or the game, though. And he and Delekhan and their respective clans were pretty much blood enemies from the very start.)
I am 8 years late in responding to this, but Gorath's aging and bearding was a stylistic design choice not chosen by the writers nor makers of the game.

It was entirely the choice of a very rebellious, very unstable artist who wanted to do things his way. This was an accident, but it unintentionally gave a lot more meaning to the game. Gorath came off as an elf who withered many scars in his life, and his appearance showed it.

Many people complained of the elven king showing his scars in the Hobbit movie, but it was a welcome deviation imo. Elves being portrayed as flawless, perfect, and with no signs of ageing - frankly - makes them boring.
I am two years late responding to this, but thanks, I appreciate this little tidbit. Certainly clarifies things a bit.

Also, really sad to see Photobucket has butchered all the screenshots in this thread. :/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom