Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Crusader Kings 2 v.1.092

Machiavelli

Educated
Thanks for the ideas guys.

The moment has finally arrived!

DouxVahramIofMesopotamia_zpsee8da1b4.jpg

We will be playing the last Miaphysite duke in the Byzantine Empire: Doux Vahram I Varajnuni of Mesopotamia!

It is our families' destiny to restore the true beauty of Armenia by chasing all muslim infidels, orthodox heretics and foreigners out of our great mountains and blind, castrate, ass fuck every one of them we can get our hands on before sending them back to the plains and deserts where they belong. Especially that heretic Bulgarian duke claiming he is the rightful ruler of the Armenian heartland.

The lords of Armenia will again be united under their own king.

No one would dare to stop us, right?

Turks aren't the problem, if their initial attack is beaten they always collapse. The Emprah usually brings his own doomstacks into the fight.

The Lower Crown Authority factions and Prince Nigger for the Byzantine Empire shenanigans are what will do you in. End up in the wrong side and it's "lul you were blinded, watch your step nigguh". If you're lucky.

Machiavelli

Educated
Part 1: Looking around and setting the pace

So here we are, the oh so noble Doux Vahram I of Mesopotamia of the Varajnuni family.
It sure looks like we will be getting a hard time ahead with this Seljuk doomstack ready to invade the empire of our liege.
They will probably siege our holdings, burn our houses and rape our women. But that's okay. As long as Sultan Arp Arslan doesn't win the war and take our title!

We are the only living male member of our dynasty, and we have two sons (more on them later). So first of all we will be waiting out a war and raising our dynastic heirs.
Also, we will need a good wife.

01-OurcharacterandTurkishdoomstack_zps7457e126.jpg

When all goes well, we will try to expand our territory within the duchy of Mesopotamia. There are 4 counties that belong to us, and we will get them.
It's Karin in the north, and Taron, Amida and Nisibin in the southeast.

02-Directvassalsandducalclaims_zps57105aac.jpg

The current owner of the county of Karin is a Bulgarian duke mentioned already. He is a Bulgarian prince and has a strong claim on the kingdom of Bulgaria.
Well, we won't mind if he goes back there to press his claim and be the king of Bulgaria. He just has to get out of our lands!

03-DouxAlusianholderofKarin_zpsc2741d9a.jpg

Taron and Amida are controlled by this Kurdish Beylerbey, who actually is quite powerful. It won't be easy to get the lands beloning to us back from him.

04-BeylerbeyNesrIholderofTaronandAmida_zpsad0f81de.jpg

Further down the stream of the river Tigris lives Beylerbey Sharaf I, who is happening to hold Nisibin which is rightfully ours. He also is too powerful for us to take on
right away, so it seems we will be concentrating on the Bulgarian prince first.

05-BeylerbeySharafIholderofNisibin_zpsdc400e15.jpg

First things first, let's look at our advisors. The quality of the bunch is not great, but acceptable. Except my steward, we will be looking for a new one ASAP 'cause we need to make money!
My chancellor and spymaster hate me, because they are orthodox. We will have to do something about that.

06-Ourcounciltwohaters_zpsabf08cb4.jpg

I'm making my chancellor master of the horse. He doesn't hate me big time, and my court chaplain will probably convert him in the near future.
We could get rid of him, but we need his talent for diplomacy.

07-Wooiingthechancellor_zps04508590.jpg

My spymaster is somewhat of a problem. Not only is he orthodox, but also a zealous one. I cannot accept this so I'm marrying him off.
We don't have a good alternative for him, but we'll find a spymaster wife to take his place.

08-Gettingridofourspymasterpt1_zps7c075a60.jpg

So, let's see.. Where will he be going?

09-Gettingridofourspymasterpt2_zps174c767e.jpg

Yes, to Venice. Let the Serene Doge handle this zealous orthodox freak!

10-Gettingridofourspymasterpt3_zps8eb1b4ee.jpg

So, now it's our turn. We will have the ambition to get married for the piety boost and find ourselves a good babymaker.

11-Arrangenewspymasterandwife_zps1257868e.jpg

Wow directly found a perfect one! Her name is Mariyam, she is Armenian and Miaphysite (great!) and has wonderful stats. Her 18 for intrigue will make her an excellent replacement for our spymaster.
She is also Cynical, just like us. A Hedonist, so she will make a lot of babies hopefully. And Ambitious. She won't try to do something stupid like killing our already existing sons, will she?

12-Ambitiontogetmarried_zpsce491918.jpg

Speaking of sons, who is to succeed us?
Our succession laws are agnatic-cognatic gavelkind. I just have the one county, so my first son will be getting it all, but when I expand my second son will also get a share.
The conditions for something better (Primogeniture, oldest takes all) are doable. Let's hope Barney will raise crown authority something like err.. 10 years from now? And we will be happy.

13-Ducallaws_zps83896163.jpg

Our army then, is not that impressive. We can probably try to fight some dukes and counts within the empire with this army, but we will have to build it up
to not get ass kicked by some muslims.

14-Militarytab_zps91ba4035.jpg

Speaking of ass kicking. What's up with the Bulgarian duke. We can apparently plot to fabricate a claim on his only county. We already have a ducal claim on this place, but I guess we can't refuse an opportunity to piss of the Bulgar and improve our intrigue.
No vassal of the empire is willing to join our plot at the moment, but we will work on it in the future.

15-Chooseaplotimproveintrigue_zps393ebdbf.jpg

Right. We are looking for some action. We will be doing a grand hunt right away. I like hunting.
Shouldn't I be preparing for the war, you say? Yes, we are. Provisions are needed and best practice is on deer.

16-Goonhunt_zpsdbf5c900.jpg

Let's look at two more things before we take on the action. I'll show you my sons, Abulgharib and Ligos. Don't they look promising?
I will raise them both myself. Not that I'm a great tutor but hey, sons should be like their father.
The second is my council's jobs. I send my chancellor to sow dissent in Karin. Let's give the Bulgarian a headache.
My marshal is researching military tech at home. We will need the benefit in the long run.
My shitty steward is out collecting taxes at home. We need moneeeeey!
My spymaster will also stay at home to see if someone wants to kill me. For the time being, because he's leaving.
Last but not least, my court chaplain will be converting my courtiers to the true Miaphysite faith.

17-Oursons_zps9e695cd0.jpg

18-Getworkingcouncil_zps5d6be97a.jpg

Action then! Our grand hunt is beginning and we'll hopefully witness something nice.

19-GrandhuntDiligent_zpsbe880ab0.jpg

Diligent is good. Also, we didn't get wounded. So ++

20-Goodbyespymaster_zpsacbef2d5.jpg

Goodbye Eugenios, hope you'll have a good time scheming in Venice! Let us know when you are tired of those scheming-your-ass-out-of-the-Republic patricians.

21-Welcomenewwifeandspymaster_zps71c04cad.jpg

Ah, there's our beauty! The look in her eyes doesn't promise a lovely future, but hopefully a succesful one.
We will take back some prestige we lost by marrying a courtier and she can get to work immediately, that is to scheme and make babies.

22-Gotmarriedwantdaughter_zps8f376593.jpg

Well, that was our first ambition. We will try an easy one again for now. We will have a daughter so we can marry her off for an alliance.
Hurry up wife!
Maybe it will help her producing a daughter if she likes us. Hopefully it will prevent her from killing me or my sons too. We will give her a honorary title.

23-Wooingthewifespymaster_zpsa7727620.jpg

Good news! There's already a faction within the empire. This one county doux wants to lower crown authority, which we disagree with. But he may fight for it and lose.

24-LowerCrownAuthorityFaction_zps73375a02.jpg

25-Finishinggrandhunt_zpsfca4f0a1.jpg

Wow, my first adventure really turned out to be a good one. We became diligent and did not die or become maimed. We showed our true Armenian spirit by killing the wolves.

Let's hope the Turks are as easy to kill..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, that's the first update, guys. What do you think? Too much/too little details?
Too much/too little screenshots? Am I disobeying any rules, written or unwritten?

Of course I don't know what my readers' knowledge of the game is. So if I should explain some more in the updates, please tell me.
Questions will also be answered for sure.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
You need to put the Dropbox files in a public folder so it can be viewed by others.

Machiavelli

Educated
You need to put the Dropbox files in a public folder so it can be viewed by others.

How? I only seem to be able to share folders with people's emailadress added.

-- Public folders don't seem to be featured anymore on dropbox.

Edit: Everything should be fixed and perfectly fine now.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Right click folder ? It's been so long since I configured my Dropbox.

Machiavelli

Educated
Intro is pretty good, but try having a bigger in game time frame per update.

Yes, of course. But bigger time frame = more pictures = more work per update :-p

And the beginning of a story is always more slow. My goal will be to combine more screenshots like I did with some in the intro.
Therefore I will hopefully be able to cover more time with less screenshots.

Thanks for the feedback.

Kayerts

Arcane
Looking around I found the Latin Empire start in 1204 interesting for Venice. The controlled territory is scattered, with the Doge only controlling the Republic itself and an island on the coast of Asia Minor. Secondly, said Doge is a man at the respectable age of 97 and blinded. Probably pissed off the Byzantine Emperor somehow.

Not sure if I'm ruining a veiled reference by explaining it, but it's the other way around. Serene Doge Enrico Dandolo was the architect of the fourth crusade and one of the most effective schemers of the medieval era. His story's worth reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enrico_Dandolo

Short version is that he had a grudge against the Byzantines, who were Venice's long-standing trade rivals. When the Fourth Crusade rolled around, this blind old man seized the opportunity to redirect a crusade at the greatest city in Christendom, essentially sealing the doom of the Byzantine Empire.

The blindness was rumored to be a consequence of overly aggressive negotiations with the Byzantines, but that appears to have been a fiction invented by the crusaders, to explain his innovative approach to crusading. ("What if we had a holy war against other Christians instead? Seems easier.")

Machiavelli

Educated
Looking around I found the Latin Empire start in 1204 interesting for Venice. The controlled territory is scattered, with the Doge only controlling the Republic itself and an island on the coast of Asia Minor. Secondly, said Doge is a man at the respectable age of 97 and blinded. Probably pissed off the Byzantine Emperor somehow.

Not sure if I'm ruining a veiled reference by explaining it, but it's the other way around. Serene Doge Enrico Dandolo was the architect of the fourth crusade and one of the most effective schemers of the medieval era. His story's worth reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enrico_Dandolo

Short version is that he had a grudge against the Byzantines, who were Venice's long-standing trade rivals. When the Fourth Crusade rolled around, this blind old man seized the opportunity to redirect a crusade at the greatest city in Christendom, essentially sealing the doom of the Byzantine Empire.

The blindness was rumored to be a consequence of overly aggressive negotiations with the Byzantines, but that appears to have been a fiction invented by the crusaders, to explain his innovative approach to crusading. ("What if we had a holy war against other Christians instead? Seems easier.")

Ah yes. Thanks for clearing that up.

I was just assuming it was some Byzantines' work when I saw his blind status ingame. I actually knew that he persuaded the crusaders to help him with his Byzantine campaign, but none of the details.

I'll definitely read up on it soon.

Machiavelli

Educated
Part 2: The Turkish invasion
26-Turkishviolencecommences_zpsd1868eab.jpg
November, 1066 - It is time for war. The Sultan has started laying siege on a county bordering us in the east. Barney is rallying up his troops to fight his army. Let's hope he'll get here in time before the Turks pass through our lands.​
Warring always comes with interruptions and we will have many, since we are not actively fighting this war. The Emperor should do his job and protect us, so we can organise ourselves to kick his ass later.​
Spring comes with joyous news, my recently acquired wife, Mariyam is pregnant. What a lucky doux am I. All I get from it for now is 5 prestige, so she'll have to make another 18 babies to get our prestige back on track.
It was her fault actually for me losing so many of it, so she should feel obliged. Let's just hope it will be a boy.​
27-Wifeispregnant_zps36763482.jpg
About a month later, some troubadour from a far away land whose language I could hardly understand offered me a very cheap bargain.​
28-Gainedcharitable_zps6becb463.jpg
Charitable is a very nice trait, giving +10 relations with all vassals and increasing Stewardship (I think). Now I have only two vassals, but I hope it's going to help me soon enough.​
In the meantime, Barney has arrived to save the day! Or actually, our skin. He has organised his army to fight off the Turks. It seems the Imperial army will not be a match to the Sultan's forces, but we'll see what the mountains and those lazy ass Greeks of generals can deliver us.​
29-Basileushasarrived_zps66c559e4.jpg
Our oldest son, Abulgharib, is incredibly lucky to be growing up in times of war. I will keep an eye on him so he will learn all he needs to know about the art of war.​
My efforts to learn my son some thins are actually working out. He is already fighting other kids.​
30-Firstsongainsenvious_zps2c4db95f.jpg
He was envious of the kids. I agreed. Envy is a good emotion when you need to steal stuff from people (or Bulgarians). It will help him with plotting too (+2 Intrigue).​
In november, the war changed pace. No longer is the Sultan sieging our holdings, but he is going to engage the Imperial forces in the county of Vaspurakan. He has an advantage in numbers and probably thinking it will be an easy win. Maybe the Turks don't know these Armenian hills have eyes... But they will soon.​
31-Preparingforbattle_zpsf1317ef5.jpg
Sitting on my throne in the castle of Tzimisca, I think about an argument I had yesterday with a local church leader. He tried to convince me into celibacy to raise my chances of being allowed into heaven.
I told him fuck off! Offspring is more important than heaven!​
32-Pleasuresinlife_zps905c17aa.jpg
33-Thirdsonborn_zps624269fd.jpg
Offspring, yes.. I just had another son. My ambition was to have a daughter, but a son is never bad. I'll name him Varazdat, after his uh.. uh..​
He'll maybe pose a threat, because his mother would probably like to see him on my throne when I die. I don't have a doubt that he will be a good boy, though.​
34-BattleofVaspurakanpt2_zps3eb32f89.jpg
The battle of Vaspurakan is a great succes for our troops! The mountains helped us to fight off the larger Seljuk army. Now we just need to eliminate those infidels and victory will soon be ours!​
The following battle of Amida is also a succes. Barney managed to win thise decisive fight, imprisoning a Seljuk vassal on the way.
I'll also take my second son under my wing, so I can learn him what he needs to know about crushing muslims, like.. castrating!​
That's how you teach them a lesson. Take a good look, boys.​
35-Finishingdoomstackeducatingsecondsonfirsteunuch_zps88cc7cc0.jpg
36-FirstsongainsCynical_zps55c1a533.jpg
Abulgharib is getting cynical about life already. I'll let him, because it will do his intrigue skills much good.​
My other son Ligos is turning out to be a good boy. I like him already.​
37-SecondsongainsGregarious_zps848f465c.jpg
38-Imperialarmyresiegingstuff_zps9b9a742b.jpg
It looks like the Imperial forces will be resieging some holdings, so we can concentrate on some other business.
My chancellor needs to be taken care of. He is still an orthodox believer.​
39-Marryingandconvertingthechancellor_zps2b4bd27e.jpg
He has an ambition to get married. Maybe I can win his soul by granting him a wife. I found this Armenian girl with a nice intrigue skill. She will learn him the righteous way!​
Kyros now likes me, and I can demand his conversion.​
Now, something on construction then. I will build in my own holdings of course, and I can choose between raising my levy or my income.​
40-Buildingcastlevillage_zpsedd1750c.jpg
I'll build the castle village first, so I'm choosing income. We're rather low on money, so this early income boost will help us to build up a levy later.​
Here's the Basileus then. He's rather old, likely to die soon. He will be succeeded by his second son, because he was born in the purple.
I don't know if his first son, who is also a doux, will like that. We might be running into a succession crisis when Konstantinos dies.​
41-WhosourBasileus_zps7a3ad16d.jpg
42-FreshTurkishkills_zps813a86f6.jpg
The Sultan has found some fresh muslims to throw at us. They don't have an advantage anymore though, so we'll be able to crush them.​
43-Wifeispregnant_zps2a99b785.jpg
And my wife is pregnant again, yay! It seems my enjoyment of the pleasures of life is turning out to be the right decision after all.​
There's another faction too, striving for independence, led by the Doux of Antioch.​
44-Independencefaction_zpsa79acf94.jpg
Ligos is somewhat lacklustre and doesn't seem to be a very hard worker. Let's try to make someone better out of him.​
45-SecondsongainsDiligentpt1_zps55b4c8a3.jpg
46-SecondsonsgainsDiligentpt2_zps63d41360.jpg
Diligent, again, is very good. Ligos is certainly promising, already smarter and better than his older brother Abulgharib.​
47-Firstdaughterborn_zps7d97a694.jpg
There's my daughter! She is actually rather important, as she can give me an alliance with some ruler nearby and subsequently scheme in his court. I am very happy with you, Datevig.
Wasn't this my ambition?​
48-Fulfilledandnewambition_zps3d008fd4.jpg
Ah yes! Let's choose improving our stewardship now. We will need a lot of money to be a king.

More infidels are arriving and my castle village has been built. This will help us greatly.​
49-Castlevillagebuilt_zps10e0b915.jpg
My new castle village is already attracting some merchants from the east. Let's see what they have in store.​
50-MerchantcaravanEunuchchain_zpsac03e72e.jpg
Nice! He gave me a eunuch. Well, most of the time, we will be creating these ourselves from perfectly healthy muslims. But this one, Eremias, is actually of my faith.
The Ethiopan is a decent steward, and better than Tovmas. We'll replace him.
So thanks to the merchants for bringing us valuable assets.​
51-Imillandex-stewarddies_zps5562c7c2.jpg
Ouch, illness is very common in this world. But let's not end up like our former steward, who decided to die of one just after I fired him. Well, he had no talent anyways.​
52-Imperialminimalcitytaxeslaw_zps0a7ac5a1.jpg
YEAH YEAH Basil... Just continue the fight will you?! Do not bother the Doux of Mesopotamia with such nonsense and get back to work!​
53-Healthyagaindeadstewardhasson_zpsc4805749.jpg
I feel alive! And so is the son of my dead ex-steward. So his dynasty will continue to exist, huh? Let's hope his son will be more talented than him.​
Speaking of talent, my son Ligos is again showing signs of it.​
54-SecondsongainsDeceitful_zpsa7229929.jpg
His skills and traits are looking pretty good, we might even see him plotting to get his brother out of the line of succession.​
55-Pingpongingwar_zpsb34413d0.jpg
This war will continue for a long time if they are pingponging like this. We are good in war score though. It'll probably take a few more years before the Sultan sees his efforts were useless. Eventually he will peace out.​
In the next episode we will hopefully see the end of the war, a lot of sons and daughters and our first son becoming an adult.​
See you next time!​

Searched long and hard and I finally found an armenian kebab removing anthem, complete with youtube trash-talking, internet ultranationalism and a kebab remover in the background.

ՀԵՌԱՑՆԵԼ քյաբաբ

It's better, yeah. After the war is done where do you plan to expand? Backstab your way to being Emprah, take muslim clay?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom