Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Drakensang: the River of Time

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 8: Cold Stone

Fayris comes with a brilliant suggestion: breaking up the team.

GQquTyL.jpg

5g9Rp5C.jpg

3YAMMjn.jpg

GjBDgku.jpg

Y1cmNTS.jpg

SrXh4Zw.jpg

As soon as Fayris and Jaakon are gone the trap closes. Incendiary arrows come flying out of nowhere.

zMMEDuX.jpg

TQUigef.jpg

ZmniHtV.jpg

EozdLOG.png
You should have thought more about the price you’ll pay for your actions ...

Luckily for Angela flame bro stayed behind so the ambush is quickly repelled.

FkIfdRc.jpg

STwYGzi.jpg

Two of the thugs drop incendiary arrows which will be useful later.

89ANlNa.jpg

Angela now needs to choose whether to follow after Fayris or Jaakon… she chooses Fayris.

WJQzxhR.jpg

Inside the warehouse will be another ambush.

1Nd76XS.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I know! Hold on, I’m at your side!

After killing the first group of thugs another group will show up including a mage. Somehow Angela got poisoned here; one of the thugs must’ve been using a weapon balm.

GSqhnt3.jpg

6mItk2k.jpg

K4AMvCP.jpg

In any case after defeating the ambush it is time to look for Jaakon.

3Ez1M7H.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Agreed. Which way?

YPloVOT.png
Through the back gate! Then out to the harbor. If we go to the other warehouse from there, we'll cut off their escape route to the river.

In the next area it is easiest to sneak past the thugs. There’s only a patrolling mage to look out for.

wj4U8qI.jpg

8zg8iZ7.jpg

xnKFM7L.jpg

4qPo3lH.jpg

7aroE9a.jpg

zzFZs58.jpg

Entering the other warehouse, a cutscene plays. There’s only one sinister looking mage inside the warehouse, however Jaakon comes storming in like a retart and attacks the mage.

8UidiOl.jpg

LZSkhVM.jpg

XkWjaoi.jpg

Yzjr8Ym.jpg

v83voAL.jpg

The mage is pro, defending against Ignifaxus with Guardianum and oneshotting Jaakon with Culminatio. Of course, in the actual game all these spells take 3-4 combat rounds to cast.

Not to mention Cuminatio damage is 1d20+5, p. sure Jaakon’s HP was >30. But anyway.

XqKlABn.jpg

Jqrvq3Q.jpg

DcGALKT.jpg

SdVn44h.jpg

qyfZmNc.jpg

Seeing Jaakon die before her eyes, Fayris takes leave off her senses. Womyn gnna womyn.

7SsySnp.jpg

sRctSRD.jpg

Dude’s got a point, tbh.

In any case, the mage leaves and drops a magical orb that constructs a golem out of the junk lying around. A boss fight looms.

zn6qz8u.jpg

hmW7IgQ.jpg

t5PD4mb.jpg

JmA8emT.jpg

o90tDzW.jpg

mmPCGhq.jpg

TC19UjI.jpg

NqkhwJS.jpg

To beat the “junk golem” Fayris summons a wolf to keep it busy and fires incendiary arrows. Angela throws stars and only attacks it directly when it’s at very low health.

Cth9rwt.jpg

UeKBUUQ.jpg

2RG8LsY.jpg

YlYuBqH.jpg

Angela frees Gerlin while Fayris stands sobbing over Jaakon’s still warm corpse.

AoEHT7n.jpg

B4EjfVc.jpg

d2NYPTU.jpg

YPloVOT.png
You shouldn't talk like that. It wasn't you who killed Jaakon, it was that heartless criminal.

EozdLOG.png
Even though I may not have known Jaakon very well, I deeply regret that we weren't able to save him.

tzMvqNy.png
It is truly a hard loss to bear - he was still so young. No one should have to die like that. But we mustn't give up hope... especially not now!

EozdLOG.png
Is 'Coldstone' the name of the man whom we have to thank for all this? What part does he play in this matter?

tzMvqNy.png
That's the big question I don't have an answer for... not right now, anyway. I don't know much about him. But I will remember his face... and his name. We’ve clashed before, during my youth.

EozdLOG.png
Clashed?

tzMvqNy.png
Yes, it was a trivial matter during my service, an... irregularity. I can't even remember exactly what it was about. But I'll get to the bottom of it, even if I have to examine every document from my service days.

EozdLOG.png
How were you captured?

tzMvqNy.png
Well... the actual reason I ended up being taken prisoner was a conversation behind a courtyard wall - and I was able to overhear by accident while on the way to our meeting point.

tzMvqNy.png
What I heard was, "That fat swine is getting greedier by the day. He wants a bigger piece of the pie. He's almost worse than the Baron! Now the chest is supposed to go back to the stronghold. Seems it was brought here by mistake."

tzMvqNy.png
When they stopped talking, I climbed over the wall to see what was in the chest. I was so eager to catch a glimpse of it that I didn't notice I wasn't alone on the other side of that wall. I felt a blow on the head and... woke up here.

EozdLOG.png
And? What was in the chest?

tzMvqNy.png
I didn't get to that, more's the pity. But we still have the following clues: The initials SB were carved on the chest. I suspect that SB could be the Commandant of the Tollgate, Stitus Bloomfold.

EozdLOG.png
Stitus Bloomfold, interesting. What's the plan this time?

tzMvqNy.png
Fayris. I want you to accompany our new lady friend here. If you see that she trusts someone, you trust that person too.

EozdLOG.png
Ah, speaking of which: I'm traveling with three well-heeled merchants who are also in search of the pirates. Something extremely precious has apparently been stolen from them.

tzMvqNy.png
Yes, I know these gentlemen. You can tell them everything. You must go to the Tollgate and find out what the connection is between Commandant Bloomfold, the smugglers and the pirates.

EozdLOG.png
Agreed. Together we'll get to the bottom of this.

YPloVOT.png
Yes, we shall - It should be a laughably easy task for us to find out what that Toll Commandant is up to.

tzMvqNy.png
Excellent! I'll journey to Ferdok to report on the night's events and what we've found out so far. And I will do everything in my power to find out all I can about Coldstone. May Phex be with you until we meet again!

EozdLOG.png
I hope you'll find some answers. Take care of yourself, Gerlin.

Next, we’re back at the Nadoret marketplace. The new main task is to report to Ardo at the Leaping Stag.

PcmGhyB.jpg

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I remember choosing to save jaakon and the lady died. I don't think it matters too much either way as I never chose jaakon once all the other party options were available. It's an odd choice though, and quite unique, making one of your first really interesting quests end in a companion trade-off. It's a lot more impactful than that forced one in NWN2, that's for sure.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah at that point it's one or the other, though both are roughly interchangeable in terms of ability.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 9: Flowers and Bees

Next morning Angela and Fayris are back on the marketplace with a new main quest.

K0hxhlF.jpg

gZncwdy.jpg

Let’s first chat with Fayris a bit though.

rq3gd0q.jpg

EozdLOG.png
What do you think about the lay of the land?

YPloVOT.png
My opinion? Well, we should get to the bottom of the matter about the corrupt tollkeepers, while Gerlin tries to find something out about this Coldstone. I ... I miss Jaakon’s advice.

EozdLOG.png
Why don’t you tell me something about yourself.

YPloVOT.png
I come from a town called Thunderbrook. Elves and humans live together in complete harmony there. That’s why it was also completely normal for me to move among both populations. I learned archery and hunting from my father early.

Thunderbrook is called Donnerbach in German and is located just north of Middenrealm south of the Salamander Stones mountains.

YPloVOT.png
Then I had an incisive experience. My father kept getting older, but I didn’t age because of my Elven blood. When he died, I became interested in exploring foreign lands.

YPloVOT.png
Yet beyond my native environment the people were full of suspicion and prejudices about my Elven orgins. They thought I would bewitch them with my magic.

YPloVOT.png
So I settled in a small woodland near the Kosh and earned my living with tracking game and as a guide over the mountain passes.

YPloVOT.png
That’s where I met Gerlin. After I accompanied him on a dangerous mission, he hired me often. I think he values my discretion.

EozdLOG.png
Can you tell me more about Gerlin?

YPloVOT.png
Please don’t be angry, but I can’t tell you any more about Gerlin than you already know. He’s sure to tell you everything himself at the right time. You know, everyone involved in this adventure has a secret or two.

EozdLOG.png
Is it something special to be a Halfelf?

YPloVOT.png
I have the virtues of both races in me. My mother’s magic and my father’s hardiness. Yet many humans and even Elves are full of prejudices.

EozdLOG.png
Are you an agent from the Imperial Garethian Intelligence Agency?

YPloVOT.png
The IGIA? What a strange question. If that were true, then I certainly wouldn’t be able to tell you. But believe me, I work for Gerlin and nothing more than that.

EozdLOG.png
What was the nature of your relationship with Jaakon?

YPloVOT.png
Jaakon and I were very close friends. He was a man of deeds and not of empty words. Always ready to do the right thing without hesitation. I miss him sorely.

Angela also buys Fayris some fitting ranger pants because her bare legs are… distracting.

jNLdCR2.jpg

7mZ4K3e.jpg

After last mission Angela has enough leveling points to learn a new melee skill. The melee trainer is Nimralph the guard captain located at the local barracks.

PUhBsUA.jpg

9IYkHWL.jpg

JEtM1sq.jpg

Nimralph has some useful information too.

EozdLOG.png
What can you tell me about the Town Guard?

vIv6XGC.png
The Nadoret Town Guard is responsible for keeping the peace in and around Nadoret. They answer directly to the Baron Dajin and are commanded by a Captain... namely myself.

EozdLOG.png
Please tell me more, Captain.

vIv6XGC.png
Well... it's no secret that Baron Dajin keeps the Town Guard on a very tight rein... so we only keep an eye on the gates and the toll house. And there is a night watch of course.

vIv6XGC.png
But that isn't enough to handle all the problems in this town, of course... there is always some kind of trouble - but my hands are tied.

EozdLOG.png
What is there to tell about Baron Dajin of Nadoret?

vIv6XGC.png
The Nadorets have been old Kosh nobility for generations. He was supposed to have received the title of Count of Ferdok five years ago from the Emperor himself... but some... unpleasantness happened before the ceremony could take place.

EozdLOG.png
Tell me more. What sort of unpleasantness?

vIv6XGC.png
At that time, Dajin's sister Cella was the victim of a cowardly poisoner. He tracked down the culprits and executed them. After that, he saw betrayal everywhere. So, instead of giving Dajin the title...

vIv6XGC.png
he made Growin - the young Dwarf fighter - the Count. The Baron never got over that. Now he's trying to make Nadoret grander and more powerful than Ferdok - and he disagrees with Growin wherever and whenever he can.

vIv6XGC.png
I would say that the best way to find out what he's like is to go to the statue at the harbor and read the inscription on its base. Or you could follow him on one of his walks through the town.

EozdLOG.png
What do you know about the river pirates?

vIv6XGC.png
Riffraff, cutthroats. They left the land for a life of piracy on the river. That's all!

EozdLOG.png
Interesting! Tell me more!

vIv6XGC.png
The river guard and the crew of the Thûrstone Tollgate are responsible for fighting the pirates. And they report to Commandant Bloomfold. An insufferable man with no manners and no integrity!

EozdLOG.png
What can you tell me about the harbormaster?

vIv6XGC.png
Oh, the harbormaster. I hope the gods...grrr... That man is corrupt and a real... But I shouldn't get so upset about it.

EozdLOG.png
Let is all out, Nimralph.

vIv6XGC.png
'Old Orbert', they call him. There's no villainy over the last few years that the walls of his quays haven’t borne witness to ... but he has a special relationship with Baron Dajin. For whatever reason...

vIv6XGC.png
... Corruption and protection! These are the evils by which a town can perish! And Orbert stands for both. Forgive me... I just can't stay calm when I think of that thug!

At any rate, Angela came to Nimralph for training… she learns offensive combat and defensive combat.

DfF2bGU.jpg

There is also a little quest available here.

4bu2aA2.jpg

8tyftYI.png
This lunatic has bred fireflies again, which are threatening the populace!

EozdLOG.png
Oh ... um ... that’s the beekeeper, isn’t it?

Lm2gDkT.png
Oh, no. Did you have to remind me? I had just forgotten about it, but now all the memories are flooding back! My poor, sweet little bees! Who are you bringing your honey to now, I wonder?

EozdLOG.png
Your 'sweet little bees' are mature fireflies.

Lm2gDkT.png
Nonsense! Everyone loves their nectar, but when they go on a quick trip to town, suddenly they're bloodthirsty fireflies. Sweet little bees is what they are ... only want to play. Buzz, buzz ...

8tyftYI.png
Play?! They’re dangerous monsters that could attack our farm animals or even our children at a moment’s notice!

EozdLOG.png
I can take care of the firefly plague!

Lm2gDkT.png
Do you really want to do that? That is excellent! You have to find the nests with the queens in them and slay them. Otherwise they'll multiply and we won't ever be able to get them back under control again.

EozdLOG.png
How many nests are we talking about here?

8tyftYI.png
If I paid close enough attention to his prattling, then there should be ten queens. They primarily nest in trees. If you bring me all ten stingers, there’ll be a reward waiting for you!

EozdLOG.png
I’ll buzz off then.

Angela needs to go across the entire map; this is a good time for Fayris to bring her ranger skills to good use.

DnB80Fj.jpg

MQJ5nCL.jpg

Btw Pagol is at the barracks too, but the dumbfuck doesn’t even recognize Angela.

GzGH0ut.jpg

Also around this time I discovered the trick behind successfully pickpocketing and bagged one of the emblems of the four winds.

BCIziym.jpg

zDwCzHY.jpg

I also discovered Olbin the huckster at the harbour had more delivery quests.

m6bBQBu.jpg

The miller is on the path of the firefly nests so might as well do it. Not to mention the bailiff at the south gate has one of the emblems.

b8T8ERz.jpg

pWQyCU3.jpg

Now out in the field, due to Fayris’ Survival skill there will be green dots everywhere. These correspond with plants. Different plants need different survival value to be located… iirc either 11 or 13 survival is necessary to locate every single plant in the game.

SP8pTiF.jpg

GSAN1Ar.jpg

Conchinis, for instance, requires 8 survival to appear on the map.

NP6FjBi.jpg

Of course, to harvest the plant Plant lore is needed… there’s a wide range in difficulty to harvest different plants. At this point we’ll want to harvest as much Oneberry as possible to make Oneberry juice.

1xsT5WE.jpg

99I3Rqd.jpg

Y6YU4kW.jpg

Similarly harvesting animal parts makes use of Animal lore.

OaAcPTA.jpg

To make the firefly queens appear, the nest must be destroyed first. Fayris’ double arrow skill is p. much the end of them immediately.

s5YpcnW.jpg

cbgfhZb.jpg

kYyHPvi.jpg

ojkpbbf.jpg

Note that small enemies like fireflies add a penalty to the ranged combat check, similarly to the ranged combat check to hit an opponent with a shield.

nbJnKfs.jpg

Killing this first firefly queen Fayris reaches exactly 1,000 adventure points making her level 3. She’ll now be able to summon a boar – the best summon until the brown bear.

zvcEtJs.jpg

Along the way Angela passes the miller to make the delivery for Olbin.

YPMZ83D.jpg

OzHaOJw.jpg

Interestingly, to the east of the mill is a bridge guarded by trolls… who won’t let the team pass.

TQID5mI.jpg

C1PK6eI.jpg

wg2L7Pu.jpg

mXwj3NO.jpg

66zeO75.jpg

EozdLOG.png
But the road continues behind your tree.

6U6JTWb.png
Yeah. Uhh ... hm....Road go on, yes... But... uhh ...

Kpdw9qN.png
... road only for Troll! Is Troll road!

g2D84p8.png
Right! And you midget man, and midget man not Troll. So go you elsewhere.

EozdLOG.png
Hmm. Oh well, it looks as though I'll have to find another way. No harm done.

Angela will have to find a way past them later I guess.

To the east of the troll bridge is a big tree where an Elven trainer lives. He has some useful stuff to teach Fayris.

ZEUnsgh.jpg

6HwPjk9.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Who are you?

rqPmuDQ.png
Only one who wanders between the worlds of humans and Elves. I will be happy to instruct you in the arts of nature and archery.

For Fayris we get here the spells Thunderbolt and Move as the Lightning. Move as the Lightning is not as OP as it is in Blackguards but still p. good if it is cast with a decent SP*.

70TeHZE.jpg

Following the path of nests to the north interestingly Fayris comes across a mandrake. It might be useful to remember this plant’s location as it is a powerful alchemical ingredient.

LiSJn3o.jpg

dIThwxv.jpg

Passing the mage tower, heading inside there is a familiar face…

WZ6j7RT.jpg

h6KXzcq.png
What do you wish?

EozdLOG.png
Hang on a moment, I know you! Didn’t we go hunting for that Blood Wolf in the forest together?

h6KXzcq.png
Of course, I remember. But I assume you’re not here because of that, am I right?

EozdLOG.png
I would love to know what you did with the wolf’s blood.

h6KXzcq.png
I’m sorry, but I really can’t disclose that to you. But believe me: you wouldn’t be able to use that knowledge, anyway.

EozdLOG.png
Oh well, if you really don’t want to tell me ...

EozdLOG.png
Can I ask you a personal question?

h6KXzcq.png
Yes, go right ahead. I have no objection.

EozdLOG.png
What exactly do you do as the Master’s apprentice?

h6KXzcq.png
Don’t misunderstand me, but that is going a bit too far. I support Master Brookbeard in his research. That will have to do.

EozdLOG.png
Is Master Brookbeard always so busy? I wonder what he is actually studying.

h6KXzcq.png
A lot of people wonder about that. I can only caution you against believing Deont Timron’s or the anxious villagers’ horror stories.

EozdLOG.png
Who inhabited this tower originally?

h6KXzcq.png
I wouldn’t know what business it is of yours, but very well. Another magician used to live here at one time. He perished in the great flood of 284 before Hal.

Brookbeard himself is in the upper floor of the tower, where interestingly there is also a telescope of sorts.

PiTY8We.jpg

wrgifVV.jpg

AefZXyA.jpg

8hhLUpG.png
Oh, a visitor! I have very little time... what do you want?

8hhLUpG.png
Did you come to get some advice from me?

EozdLOG.png
Yes, I'd like to be instructed in the art of magic.

8hhLUpG.png
Hmm? Oh, yes! Fine. Only I am very busy at the moment, unfortunately. Actually, I'm always busy... but you can use the spellbook in my study. It contains everything you need to learn.

Consulting the Codex Fayris can learn some new spells.

64XrMPt.jpg

Fayris learns all Attributo spells and the debuff Plumbumbarm. The spells See True and Pure and Psychic Focus are not that useful for her.

ynnKSYC.jpg

P7bGRVY.jpg

h8xocNK.jpg

ZzzNCJ4.jpg

bATeU6y.jpg

South of the mage tower the final firefly queen is killed and Angela finally reaches level 3. Phex’s Favor miracle will now be upgraded.

FHevjyi.jpg

Il9QRvt.jpg

The reward for the firefly quest is a rather paltry sum of money. But at least some new herbs and spells were garnered along the way.

cm2yipV.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 10: A new beginning

Obtaining the last two emblems, Angela returns to Odila in the Thieves’ Guild.

NS3OfW9.jpg

sue0zMd.jpg

32BSamn.jpg

UxptNjM.png
Impressive! You won the game. Nice work.

UxptNjM.png
Dilga will want to know about it. Go and show her the emblems, then you’ll get your reward.

Odila will now also sell the finger blade, a useful item for pickpocketing.

f30Itcu.jpg

Dilga will reward finishing the emblems quest with a new Phex miracle. This is also the last Phex miracle Angela can learn.

The Better Offer is highly situational but powerful.

0ogxUEM.jpg

2IIr0ou.jpg

8kzCdvI.jpg

Now with all this wrapped up Angela returns to Ardo & C° to report recent events.

fRG4CRx.jpg

CyeQjE6.jpg

EozdLOG.png
More than useful. A certain 'Gerlin' approached me. He's on a secret mission to track down the river pirates.

m0WQljd.png
Gerlin, you say? Never heard of him. What does he have to do with this? And who is this with you?

YPloVOT.png
My name is Fayris Lynxeye. I am with Gerlin - and in his name I would like to help you in your search for the pirates.

m0WQljd.png
Fayris Lynxeye. Hmm. That's all very well ...

EozdLOG.png
I think we can trust Gerlin. He suspected that a band of smugglers were taking goods from the pirate attacks from here further inland.

YPloVOT.png
That's right. Your lady friend helped me and my partner Jaakon Zagor explore the docks one night to try and find out about this contraband.

XcemGgR.png
Well, well. So we're supposed to trust these people ... hmm. Did you find anything suspicious? Were smugglers there?

EozdLOG.png
Were there! We were instantly ambushed several times. We had to rescue Gerlin, as he was being held by the smugglers and a magician called 'Coldstone'. Unfortunately one of Gerlin's men was killed in the attempt, whereas Coldstone was able to use his magic to escape.

XcemGgR.png
Hmm. What have we gained if he escaped? We still don't know where these pirates have their hideout. If this keeps up, we'll never... get the stolen merchandise back.

EozdLOG.png
Well. It's not at all certain whether the smugglers and this Coldstone have anything to do with the pirate attacks. Gerlin was, however, able to overhear a conversation that linked the commandant of the local Tollgate with the smugglers.

OKlt61R.png
The commandant of the Tollgate, you say? Hmm... Perhaps we should pay the gentleman a visit, what do you think, Ardo?

m0WQljd.png
Aye... I think we should see what's what there. What about you? Are you going with us?

EozdLOG.png
Of course I am! What did you think? Fayris, are you coming too?

YPloVOT.png
Gerlin wanted me to help you with your investigations, anyway, so I'll help you with this, too. I'm happy to go with you.

m0WQljd.png
Right, then it's settled. We'll meet at the docks.

Joining Ardo’s company updates the new main quest.

Wqx2ntH.jpg

Leaving the inn a cutscene starts showing the p. shitlordy ship Angela is going to travel in.

i7acZT2.jpg

22ot0BJ.jpg

GmWyggw.jpg

o4U15aD.jpg

Delbrack immedialy has a task for Angela.

Xdtz1Gx.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Greetings to you, Captain. When is the ship to set sail?

m0WQljd.png
That’s exactly where we have a problem: Captain Delbrack doesn’t have a crew at the moment. But it’s best to let him give you the details.

yZhU5yx.png
Well, then, what should I say? There was ... well ... a little misunderstanding with my boys. Then the pack of them up and left in a huff, leaving me sitting here high and dry. We’re stuck here without a crew.

m0WQljd.png
And in no case can the situation stay that way. We need the Captain’s people back on board as soon as possible. I thought of you in that context. Can you attend to this matter?

EozdLOG.png
The crew is as good as back on board. I’ll get started on them right away.

m0WQljd.png
It's a deal! Then Captain Delbrack can explain the remaining details to you.

D2CpeQh.jpg

With her social skills, Angela should be able to keep most of this money.

EozdLOG.png
That's all well and good. But I don’t know where to start looking. Do you have any idea where the men could be now?

yZhU5yx.png
Let me think ... well, if I know Yallik, you’ll probably find him making bets at an illegal prize fight. I guess it has to do with the fact that he used to be a bare-knuckle fighter himself.

yZhU5yx.png
Four-Finger Salm takes care of all the metal and woodworking tasks on board the ship. I'll eat my hat if he isn’t at the blacksmith's, keeping the man from his work with his shop talk.

yZhU5yx.png
Our Dumb Dan, well ... presumably he's at the local watering hole hoisting a brew. At least that’s what he usually does when he’s on shore. I still don’t understand why he went along with the mutiny, too – he always did his work without complaining.

EozdLOG.png
Many thanks. That will help me to find your men. I’ll come back when I find out something.

m0WQljd.png
Just a minute, there’s one more thing. Take advantage of your time in town and prepare for the journey. Who knows when we’ll have another opportunity to do that.

EozdLOG.png
I’ll go get ready, I already have a couple of merchants in mind. See you later.

Around this time Angela also discovered that Olbin the huckster has more delivery quests. Might as well do these too.

pRTiON0.jpg

aBZWKnz.jpg

At Marcusi’s Angela also buys the leather gloves which will help Fayris’ bowyery.

u3ECamW.jpg

For herself Angela buys the alchemist gloves from Auralia.

9MJehqi.jpg

Anyway, Dumb Dan is at the Leaping Stag doing dumb things.

syFueXf.jpg

lKDjINh.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I’m not here to cause trouble. On the contrary, I’m here to help you. Captain Delbrack sent me.

YteB4YX.png
Delbrack?! That cut-throat is the reason I’m having all this trouble!

MX4dcRu.jpg

dj9EZaH.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Alright then. Why were they calling you a bill-dodger?

YteB4YX.png
Because the people are resentful liars! Delbrack already owes me several weeks' pay and still hasn't paid! I wanted to put it on my tab, nothing more! I always pay my debts!

Angela can use Haggle here but unfortunately cannot keep all the ducats.

kQzkBMv.jpg

B16SMbn.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Fine. Here are 2 ducats. Pay your tab and then report to the ship. The Captain awaits you with the rest of your pay.

YteB4YX.png
Hhm. Thank you. I’ll be there.

Leaving the inn, Greyhair will pop up.

42KS2Gs.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I’m busy at the moment. Out of the way ...

l1zcB7K.png
Psst! Gerlin sent me, I have a message for you!

EozdLOG.png
Aha! A message. From Gerlin. How can I tell it’s really from him?

YPloVOT.png
Because I can confirm it. Old Greyhair is Gerlin’s contact here in Nadoret. We had strict instructions to keep it secret - unless he contacted us. We can trust him.

l1zcB7K.png
Psst… exactly.

rVLI4pr.jpg

fFJaOYo.jpg

Next of Delbrack’s missing crew, Silvertooth Yallik, is near the arena in Nadoret’s undercroft.

IG5N6ER.jpg

vgpTIWn.jpg

RXspUmO.png
Today has been more exciting than it's been in a long time!

EozdLOG.png
You are so right. It’s quite a spectacle!

RXspUmO.png
Heh heh! I should say so!

RXspUmO.png
You should know that I used to fight myself. That’s how I got my nickname.

EozdLOG.png
Let me guess: Silvertooth?

RXspUmO.png
By all the Twelfgods, you know my name?! I guess you must have seen a fight or two of mine in the past?

EozdLOG.png
Actually, no. Captain Delbrack told me your nickname. He sent me to find you.

RXspUmO.png
Delbrack?! Oh, spare me the guy who sugarcoats everything! He kept stalling, stringing me along, and now what? He still owes me my full wages.

RXspUmO.png
If my run of luck stays with me, then I'll never have to slave away on an old tub again. I’m just not sure who I should bet on next.

RXspUmO.png
Maybe you have an idea. Who should I bet on: the Wild Boar or Stonenoggin? They both seem to be pretty good.

This betting bullcrap is of no interest to Angela. Just use social skills.

RYeuhXx.jpg

cIwO00n.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Then I have some good news for you. A rich merchant has commissioned the ship to transport his wares. Gold shouldn’t be a problem this time.

RXspUmO.png
And what’s with the wages? Will he cough the money up after all?

Again Angela can keep half the money with a successful Haggle check.

IJ9fxVT.jpg

gWppWpd.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Here is your money. Now off to the ship! The Captain will be waiting!

RXspUmO.png
I’ll be off right away.

The third and last of Delbrack’s crew is bothering the local smith near the south gate of Nadoret.

3Z2Cyva.jpg

aghxDAe.jpg

IcC7EBG.jpg

Xojeig0.png
All I see is a shameless know-it-all who is keeping me from my work and putting off my customers.

SfddPfo.png
Stuff and nonsense! You can only put off the people if you don’t work properly. If I held the hammer like you, then the work would only take longer.

SfddPfo.png
What are you doing? You can’t hold a hammer like that!

EozdLOG.png
I don’t know enough about these things to give you a qualified answer.

EozdLOG.png
And I’m sure I’ll have plenty of opportunities to do so yet. Captain Delbrack sent me. He has asked me to find his crewmen. You are one of them, aren’t you?

SfddPfo.png
Was one of them. Has that scoundrel finally noticed that his tub doesn’t stay ship-shape by itself? But ... I’m not going to lift a finger for him anymore!

It’s easiest to use Seduce on the know-it-all.

T4YkOBr.jpg

PW7F85Q.jpg

SfddPfo.png
I hope you understand that a craftsman of my stature still can't do without wages in spite of everything. Perhaps you could put in a good word for me to the captain.

A Haggle check later and Delbrack’s crew is complete again.

dVINnqW.jpg

UtlSdwr.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Here. Your ducat. Now off to the ship! Captain Delbrack is waiting for you.

SfddPfo.png
I’m already on my way!

Xojeig0.png
It’s about time! I can finally work in peace again.

SfddPfo.png
Heh heh. If you call that work…

Xojeig0.png
Make yourself scarce, Salm! Otherwise I may lose it in the end, after all.

Whilst we’re at the smith’s, might as well buy some recipes for future use.

y9QcrhY.jpg

Angela first finishes the rest of Olbin’s deliveries before returning to Delbrack. She’s sent all across the map again but at least there’s fast travel. At the end she receives a tidy sum.

PoypJaJ.jpg

2FJYgFL.jpg

2X96fuS.jpg

gKpKk2x.jpg

The very last of Olbin’s deliveries takes Angela to the hamlet north of Nadoret where there are some cute animals around…

bt7vgvF.jpg

tsY1GKM.jpg

wjwgUj1.jpg

kM0dVgd.jpg

The final reward for some simple legwork is a decent sum of money.

Si4F2Gd.jpg

It is now time to return to the ship and finally set off.

oAXi2FL.jpg

yZhU5yx.png
But ... just between you and me: How did you get those guys to come back to me?

EozdLOG.png
Well now, you’d really like to know that, wouldn’t you? But it’s going to remain my secret.

yZhU5yx.png
I get it, you want to keep your tricks to yourself. Hey, I can’t hold it against you. I probably would never have managed it.

mywpcia.jpg

EozdLOG.png
No trouble at all. The main thing is that we’ll finally reach the Tollgate and can get to the bottom of this matter at last.

m0WQljd.png
Well said! We should land there as soon as possible. Just give Captain Delbrack the word as soon as you’re ready.

Stepping on board Angela just needs to notify the captain. However there’s the matter of Brother Emmeran…

kR6uPTO.jpg

liSBfyc.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I’m ready. We can leave now.

yZhU5yx.png
Are you sure? I don’t think we’ll come back to Nadoret again any time soon.

EozdLOG.png
I’m sure, Captain. I have everything I need.

yZhU5yx.png
Very well. Alright lads, clear the decks to shove off!

EozdLOG.png
Captain, do you actually know the Isle of Forgetting? A man called Brother Emmeran invited me to go visit him there.

yZhU5yx.png
Wait a minute: The Voice of the Riverfather invited you to his island? How did that come about?

EozdLOG.png
He approached me when I arrived in Nadoret and called me ‘Protector of Hope and Power' and 'Center of the Fabric of Life'.

yZhU5yx.png
Really? Well, if that’s how it is, we should set off for the island immediately.

RXspUmO.png
Upon my soul, now the fuss about the Riverfather is starting up again, Salm, instead of coughing up our silver.

OKlt61R.png
Uh ... with all due respect ... we want to get to the Tollgate urgently.

yZhU5yx.png
My Thalaria hasn’t been spared pirate attacks without a reason. To put the Riverfather’s blessing at risk now would be more than foolish.

m0WQljd.png
Hm, if going to this island doesn’t involve a long detour, then it’s fine with me, Captain.

EozdLOG.png
According to my map we’ll be sailing past there in any case.

m0WQljd.png
Good. Maybe this Emmeran can even be helpful ... in regard to our search for the pirates. Let’s be off, Captain.

yZhU5yx.png
Hoist the sails and cast off, men! We’re heading downriver.

So first stop: the Isle of Forgetting.

S8fz0w3.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 11: Isle of Forgetting

5khMSP1.jpg

Emmeran welcomes the Thalaria upon arrival.

8AvSoCQ.jpg

xGNbtlQ.jpg

vJCRcbP.jpg

ILSonW7.png
You have come, just as I asked. I am pleased to see you again.

EozdLOG.png
Greetings. I am also pleased to see you again.

ILSonW7.png
And as I see, you are not alone.

EozdLOG.png
Yes, this is Ardo with his companions Forgrimm and Cano. I'm sure you already know Captain Delbrack and his crew.

m0WQljd.png
It is an honor to meet you, Brother Emmeran. After hearing of you, we all wished to meet you ourselves.

ILSonW7.png
Then I'm glad to answer that wish. Please, come down from your ship. I would like to tell you a little about this place.

m0WQljd.png
Forgrimm, Cano, you stay on board and watch the ship. I don't want you causing any trouble here.

XcemGgR.png
But Ardo, I…

m0WQljd.png
No arguments!

All there is to do here for Angela is follow Emmeran on his little tour and listen to his story.

6CwxNMN.jpg

ZTa9GGU.jpg

VVPRf0o.jpg

6ZaXRHK.jpg

34EQUFT.jpg

u9pq1Rs.jpg

2dEriZp.jpg

HBAgb5e.jpg

XOPgXR3.jpg

sbzOr4w.jpg

uXlXkiT.jpg

3TDH8lO.jpg

CcWudm8.jpg

sS1lHW7.jpg

PVuy66n.jpg

Mi5viox.jpg

Yv0lNhP.jpg

PdLPqwK.jpg

9eb3FFS.jpg

egy94MA.jpg

The tour ends in front of the temple. Now Angela can have a personal conversation with Emmeran.

7lMMvor.jpg

jLtYxUW.jpg

ZZQPBhD.jpg

bBt1tkf.jpg

1Q4Fj7C.jpg

EozdLOG.png
You mentioned my destiny when we met in Nadoret... Is that why you wanted me to find you?

ILSonW7.png
Yes, the Riverfather revealed your face to me in a vision... You will play a role in the fate of the river, that is certain. Give me your hand...

ILSonW7.png
Yes... the image is becoming clearer. A dark cave filled with putrid water... Tentacles that search for you in the dark... beware the death that lurks beneath your feet...

EozdLOG.png
What are you talking about? What do you mean?

ILSonW7.png
Forgive me, I can tell you no more. In the end it is your deeds that will determine your fate. I will follow your progress and speak with the Riverfather.

ILSonW7.png
But heed my warning: Take care at the Tollgate. This fortress is a place of suffering and fear. Do not be deceived by appearances to the contrary.

m0WQljd.png
Wait, what makes you think we want to go there?

ILSonW7.png
It is your destiny. You may set your own course on the waters of the Great River, Ardo. But the river of time has a will of its own. When you have found it, bring it to me...

EozdLOG.png
It? What do you mean?

ILSonW7.png
You will know when the time comes. But enough of that, my friends. Your tasks are preordained. Only you can decide how you face them.

m0WQljd.png
Well... so be it. Since you mention our tasks... I had best return to the ship. We must prepare to continue our journey.

m0WQljd.png
Join us when you are finished here. We will cast off soon.

m0WQljd.png
It was an honor to meet you, Brother Emmeran.

ILSonW7.png
I thank you. It was good to have guests again. Visit me again whenever you wish. Until then, go with the blessing of the Riverfather.

Emmeran is also a merchant, selling some interesting equipment. For now Angela just buys carapace shoulder plates.

After this short stop Angela can continue traveling to the Tollgate without interruptions.

GEprvOm.jpg

DUIcd02.jpg

EozdLOG.png
What do you know about Brother Emmeran?

yZhU5yx.png
Well, he has been known among the river boatmen for a long time. They pay their respects to him and give him gifts out of reverence for the Riverfather ... but many ask themselves if he really is the Voice of the Riverfather.

EozdLOG.png
Who does your ship owe its name to?

yZhU5yx.png
My father had it built. Because of his love of stories and his reverence for the Riverfather he named his ship after the sprite Thalaria, who lived in the meadows along the Great River.

yZhU5yx.png
She enchanted the Riverfather himself with her golden hair. My father was wise to give the ship her countenance, and for this the Thalaria has always been spared the wrath of the Riverfather.

EozdLOG.png
How did you get your crew?

yZhU5yx.png
Haha! Let me just say this much, that I pulled Salm out of the river, Yallik out of a hole and Dumb Dan out of a nest.

xwfZVh0.jpg

m0WQljd.png
But now we should take a closer look at this Tollgate. Or is there something else keeping us here?

EozdLOG.png
We can set sail right away, as far as I’m concerned.

m0WQljd.png
That’s how I see it, too, Captain. Take us to the Tollgate!

yZhU5yx.png
Get ready to cast off! Set course for Elvenhus! We’ll make a stop at Thûrstone.

yxIrkGS.jpg

XN2ImII.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 12: Tollgate

OrQsyrD.jpg

Arriving at the Tollgate, chains are pulled up immediately. This doesn’t seem regular.

yIxo2p1.jpg

R9S7RXO.jpg

jLvLxtV.jpg

XVD7Gu1.jpg

Two rude tollkeepers show up who look more like thugs than anything else.

YFIr9S2.jpg

AdycHTS.jpg

JPFizbx.jpg

While Ardo keeps the tollkeepers busy Forgrimm and Cano head off on their own.

SQedOay.jpg

D3q2iut.jpg

fZLobNr.jpg

Bkl0OTL.jpg

Angela and Fayris are left on their own.

wZvyDIF.jpg

LLJ6CNJ.jpg

EozdLOG.png
You're right, let's go together and see what we can find out.

YPloVOT.png
Agreed. Before we look around the fortress, maybe we should try to find out more about what's going on here. I have a bad feeling about this place...

Ardo keeps the tollkeepers busy as long as necessary.

oaALkYi.jpg

XD4SrdY.jpg

Aside from the Thalaria there’s another impounded merchant ship around.

XOXiuW2.jpg

1UXBmbw.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Who are you?

s25ALmJ.png
My name is Sarastro Castellani, a merchant from Kuslik. Forgive my anger. But this stupid tollkeeper here is driving me crazy!

s25ALmJ.png
Weell, I'm sure I won't get away from this place too quickly. Can I do anything else for you?

EozdLOG.png
What kind of problems do you have with the tollkeepers?

s25ALmJ.png
They won't let me leave! I had to give them my entire goods list and stay until they checked it. Something about this place isn't quite right!

EozdLOG.png
Something isn't quite right? What do you mean?

s25ALmJ.png
It used to be much better here! A chat and a little gift for the guards was enough and I could pass. Now they look through the lists like a Praiot studies his prayer book!

EozdLOG.png
Do you have anything for sale?

s25ALmJ.png
All kinds, I promise you! But I can't trade here without trouble from the Head Tollkeeper. An extremely unpleasant man. I'm sorry.

Near the inn is a rather conspicuously shady looking man.

mNbVPQM.jpg

pwTs9GF.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I am traveling on the Thalaria.

j12Eeca.png
Ah yes, the Thalaria ... that's the ship of Captain ... what's his name again?

EozdLOG.png
Why do you want to know?

j12Eeca.png
Oh, is it a secret? But it's probably that old Delbrack you're traveling with, right? Everyone along this river knows him.

j12Eeca.png
But you're not from round here, are you? What brings you here? You trading?

EozdLOG.png
You're rather curious, aren't you? Why don't you tell me something about yourself?

j12Eeca.png
Oh, there's not much to tell. But if you like, what can I do for you?

EozdLOG.png
Do you know anything about the pirates?

j12Eeca.png
Yes, I hear there've been a few attacks recently. But that always happens from time to time. I'm sure they'll soon have the situation under control again.

YPloVOT.png
Have a cure. I’m sure that man knows more than he’s letting on.

The local innkeeper offers a sidequest.

TUmIaHP.jpg

SOxv5nh.jpg

EozdLOG.png
What’s that funny chest behind you?

56g8Anj.png
It belonged to Gero, my husband. I'm just clearing all his stuff out of my house.

EozdLOG.png
What happened with Gero?

56g8Anj.png
He left, the good-for-nothing. There was some Thorwalian hussy in the bar. He couldn't take his eyes off her. I wasn't paying attention because a bunch of guards had just come in, but suddenly they were both gone.

56g8Anj.png
She was huge. Arms like tree stumps. She's probably already broken him like a twig... he was such an idiot!

EozdLOG.png
What’s in the chest?

56g8Anj.png
Just Gero’s stuff. No idea.

EozdLOG.png
[Human Nature] Come on, I'm sure you know a bit more than that. He was your husband, after all.

56g8Anj.png
Yes, but it won't be anything important. Gero was a good-for-nothing! Although he watched it like a hawk... except when he was looking at other women!

56g8Anj.png
Makes no difference now. I can't get the stupid thing open, anyway.

EozdLOG.png
Is there a key for the chest?

56g8Anj.png
Key? Ha! Not Gero! He was always so secretive with his things, that poser. He used to be a smuggler, you know...

56g8Anj.png
That's when he got his wooden leg. And he used it to lock the chest! So ridiculous! And now he's gone with his leg, and the chest is here. He probably just did it to annoy me...

EozdLOG.png
We could try to find Gero for you.

56g8Anj.png
Oh yes, if you do find something out, let me know. Just keep an eye out for a good-for-nothing with a wooden leg.

EozdLOG.png
What can you tell me about the Thûrstone Tollgate?

56g8Anj.png
It used to be such a quiet little place. That's why me and my husband settled here. But then this Bloomfold became commandant. If one of the guards has his eye on you, you'd better watch out.

On the way to the gate of the fortress is another womyn in need of assistance.

tSDutmz.jpg

EozdLOG.png
What's wrong? Why are you crying?

h9m646w.png
They arrested my betrothed and took him to the fortress, for no reason at all! The guards won't let me in and no one will tell me where he is. Please, help me!

EozdLOG.png
Maybe I can help you. I'll keep an eye out for him when I'm in the fortress.

h9m646w.png
Really? May Travia bless you! My betrothed is called Felian. Please bring me news of him.

EozdLOG.png
Don't worry. If he's in the fortress, I'll find him!

h9m646w.png
Oh, thank you from the bottom of my heart! Please come back quickly! Oh ... and be careful.

For now, let's see what Forgrimm and Cano are up to.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 13: Brian over brawn

In front of the fortress gate Cano and Forgrimm will be quarreling again. The game autosaves because there is an important choice ahead.

dY9Tvuu.jpg

DUNNA7l.jpg

XcemGgR.png
Save your sneaking around for your thieving jobs! I'm doing this my way! The honest way! You just make sure you stay out of my way!

EozdLOG.png
Why are you arguing? Ardo wants us to work together.

OKlt61R.png
Shorty here wants to just knock on the main gate. If I know him, we'll soon have the whole garrison on our backs. I'm sure, there must be a less conspicuous way.

XcemGgR.png
Shorty?! One more word, and I'll make sure you can never sneak again! I'm doing this the honorable way! If they don't play along, that's their hard luck!

EozdLOG.png
Tell me again, exactly what you intend to do, Forgrimm.

XcemGgR.png
Right! I'll go in and ask these scoundrels a few questions. If they refuse to answer, I'll give them a few solid reasons to start talking. It's a tried and tested method and it saves time.

OKlt61R.png
Lord of the Night preserve me! That's more Dwarven wisdom than I ever wanted to hear! I'm sure you're very impressed by such a cunning plan.

Obv. for Angela the Phex way is the best.

EozdLOG.png
You're right, Cano. It is cleverer to be careful.

OKlt61R.png
Ah, both beauty and intelligence. I am honored by your trust. Just stay behind me and do as I say.

XcemGgR.png
Pah! Go and creep through the weeds together then! I have work to do!

Forgrimm enters the castle directly and causes a huge ruckus. Cano heads down the ditch and finds a way in.

BReMe7N.jpg

TYHZoHs.jpg

ch1Ropy.jpg

JusRNFv.jpg

aqD7s3P.jpg

Z4HpWiL.jpg

67Y72MU.jpg

OKlt61R.png
Phew, urgh... I must admit, it smells pretty bad... well, er... sometimes you have to take unusual choices to maintain discretion. Please, after you!

EozdLOG.png
You and Forgrimm don't seem to get on. Why are you traveling together?

OKlt61R.png
Oh, well Forgrimm and I... sorry, but I don't think this is the time to talk about that. Maybe later.

EozdLOG.png
Alright, let’s go.

Inside is basically a huge stinking sewer.

AGwKdeD.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Not a bad start, though. Let's keep going.

OKlt61R.png
I agree. Right, let us boldly... by Phex, it stinks even worse than I thought in here!

EozdLOG.png
Let's just get this behind us. The sooner we're out of here, the better.

OKlt61R.png
Yes, I'd rather this place smelled like wild flowers too. But at least this stench means we're less likely to bump into anybody else down here.

YPloVOT.png
Is that how you think, thief? You follow the stink to hide yourself? A really dirty business, your profession.

EozdLOG.png
As long as we're safe from the guards, I'm happy. What should we do next, Cano?

OKlt61R.png
We should move as quietly as possible. Even in a place like this, you can never be sure that you're alone. But I'm sure you already know that, since you follow the way of the Fox yourself.

Now Cano becomes a party member, he’s a Phex deont with corresponding miracles just as Angela, but he’s a thief rather than a rogue meaning his stat and skill distribution is a bit different.

y6h1JYL.jpg

He has his own épée and starts with the Precision strike skill which is useful since it causes wounds.

0miZtzM.jpg

5Ssx1a5.jpg

In any case, moving further ahead in the sewer a cutscene starts. Stitus Bloomfold himself appears.

r7K2rGk.jpg

GPFMHP9.jpg

A2NsEaC.jpg

rFLEqNL.jpg

drBsnVk.jpg

pOSw5BE.jpg

Ztl5BHT.jpg

KKGPSlB.jpg

XUu4KGI.jpg

YPloVOT.png
That fat man there must have been Stitus Bloomfold, the fortress commandant. He matches Gerlin's description precisely. Except that 'fat slug' sounds a little too harmless...

OKlt61R.png
Unfortunately, they're expecting us. People even seem to know why we're here. It seems someone was a little clumsy with their 'secret inquiries'...

OKlt61R.png
Anyway, we should definitely avoid running into that Ontho. Maybe we can distract him and his dog somehow.

OKlt61R.png
If we can get them both out of the room with the stairs, then we should be able to get into the fortress unseen. We just need to find some way of attracting their attention...

EozdLOG.png
Makes sense. Let’s take a look around here.

Sneaking past Ontho isn’t too easy but doable. The trick is to disarm his rat traps and while he’s occupied fixing them the group can sneak past (provided their Sneak skill is high enough).

8HZWwbM.jpg

fXwZaud.jpg

ggvtmMO.jpg

Kq73RTm.jpg

Of course Ontho’s dog is still around… the trick to get rid of the dog is to break a barrier that will let rats in. When Ontho calls his dog the road to the exit is clear.

suhsID1.jpg

y4Kgqil.jpg

FNCMXcL.jpg

FUI9mJG.jpg

By now Forgrimm will have entered the castle and begun wrecking shit. This provides some more distraction that Angela’s group can make good use of.

JVupsmI.jpg

9cf2i2s.jpg

CddUJ0Q.jpg

30z2S4P.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Then let's take the opportunity while the guards are distracted. What do you think?

OKlt61R.png
I completely agree. It looks like we'll have to cross the room behind this door. Unfortunately one of those fellows is still in there.

EozdLOG.png
Well, it shouldn't be too much of a problem to deal with him...

OKlt61R.png
And what if he raises the alarm first? Believe me, a soft step and a bit of skill are always better than violence. And it's not exactly heroic to murder a cook, is it?

OKlt61R.png
And if he does see us, perhaps we can persuade him one way or another to keep quiet, at least for a while. What do you think?

EozdLOG.png
Good, let's not waste time. Let's go!

OKlt61R.png
Good, Phex be with us. Remember: Quiet and carefully does it...

The task is to sneak up to the cook and pickpocket the key… the sneaking is easy but pickpocketing can be tricky.

WzokP46.jpg

IA2mP8l.jpg

qu958sl.jpg

Next to the cook is a locked and trapped chest that contains a great item: spectacles of perception.

atMo8PM.jpg

B04tnXb.jpg

After looting the rest of the room (all the while sneaking) Angela uses the pickpocketed key to get out.

f5s8AbK.jpg

In the next area, Forgrimm will now be running around the courtyard like a retart while a ballista and six archers are continuously shooting him… and missing all the time. Quite humorous.

53lT1JB.jpg

9LqNxUZ.jpg

8CMwkEW.jpg

8fftM6N.jpg

OKlt61R.png
The guards were helpful enough to leave the ballista right under the portcullis. If they don't notice us we can give them a little surprise.

EozdLOG.png
Good. But we will have to take out the archers on the way there. Forgrimm won't be able to dodge arrows forever.

OKlt61R.png
Well, I'm almost inclined to let him deal with the fruits of his stupidity alone, but you're right. Let's try to creep up on those fellows and put them to sleep one by one.

EozdLOG.png
Right, let’s get them.

OKlt61R.png
Soon all they'll see is stars. But we need to hit them while they're distracted.

It’s easy enough to sneak behind the archers and take them out. But some care needs to be taken since they’ll run out of arrows and turn around to restock.

0pgCCu0.jpg

qmGqBJ7.jpg

xtwxHHE.jpg

dIGfGLf.jpg

kU3lxhC.jpg

1tRUuBX.jpg

tsHwsqB.jpg

When all archers are down Cano brings down the portcullis, destroying the ballista and saving Forgrimm’s ass. Cano now also reveals some information about what had happened before they met Angela.

VQvgFxT.jpg

PEbEiDe.jpg

AbqaChJ.jpg

IQE9H2k.jpg

TTZQgyd.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Well, if he hadn't distracted the guards, things would have been a lot more difficult for us. Why do you have such a problem with him?

OKlt61R.png
Sure, he's hard as nails. But he's also just as stubborn. He doesn't have too much respect for the ways of the Fox God. Also, our first acquaintance was... er... rather unfortunate.

OKlt61R.png
He and Ardo surprised me as I was performing a Phex-pleasing task. To smooth things out, I promised to help them look for a thief named Mora.

OKlt61R.png
Thanks be to the Cunning One, in Ferdok I managed to discover that she's with the pirates. That's why we're looking for them. But enough of that. We need to keep moving.

Angela’s group now reunited with Forgrimm… and confronts Tashman, the head tollkeeper.

f9rECsU.jpg

RiyrVMF.jpg

XcemGgR.png
You better worry about me, lackey! I want some answers from you, quickly! Speak! My ax is impatient!

OKlt61R.png
I strongly suggest you cooperate, Head Tollkeeper. Things rarely end well when he starts talking about his weapon.

bvnguRa.png
Alright, alright... stay calm! ... Maybe we can cut you in. The pirates can be very generous, if...

OKlt61R.png
The pirates? You're working with the pirates?

YPloVOT.png
So the smuggled goods must be from the pirates. This conspiracy is bigger than we thought.

bvnguRa.png
You... you didn't know? By all the Gods and Demons! You come here, kill nearly all my men... and you didn't know about the pirates?

EozdLOG.png
We had a vague suspicion. But we were obviously on the right track.

bvnguRa.png
Now I understand... you're not in another gang... you don't want to make a deal... this is about something else...

There’s now an option to have Tashman’s men run off so that he alone remains.

UHZipuL.jpg

bvnguRa.png
What do you think? There's no going back now! It's us or them! Attack!

XcemGgR.png
You seem a little slow on the uptake, Human! All of you drop your weapons, or I'll crush you flatter than that little toy beneath the gate!

bvnguRa.png
Never! Men, finish them!

EozdLOG.png
[Fast Talk] Lay down your arms and go home, men! Leave this madman to his fate.

bvnguRa.png
Do you really want to make the Commandant angry? I said: Attack !

pJawmja.jpg

kaWawFz.jpg

n3Ykr1o.jpg

bvnguRa.png
You'll regret this! You know what happens to deserters here!

bvnguRa.png
Now... now everything's ruined! Why did you have to poke your noses in? Arrrgh!

Tashman goes berserk but on his own he does not pose any threat.

tT6DyQv.jpg

lgdGOR8.jpg

OKlt61R.png
What a pointless death! He must have feared somebody more than us.

XcemGgR.png
Ah, finally you skulkers turn up? I thought I'd have to do everything here.

OKlt61R.png
Sounds like you were enjoying all that ducking and diving, Shorty! So sorry if we're interrupting.

XcemGgR.png
Pah! I could have dealt with that ridiculous plaything myself. You just made things a little quicker.

EozdLOG.png
We're bound to have better chances if we work together, don't you think?

XcemGgR.png
I must admit it can sometimes be quite useful to have a skulker watching your back. As long as you don't get in my way, I think we can work together.

OKlt61R.png
That was almost praise wasn't it, Forgrimm? And don't worry: If you still want to get your head caved in, I won't stop you.

EozdLOG.png
Alright, let’s go.

Forgrimm is now a party member; he’s a powerful little guy with a p. cool axe. Aside from Blacksmith, Willpower and Dwarfnose he needs no other skills.

Dwarfnose is a skill unique to Dwarfs that can reveal hidden rooms and passageways.

FjHt8uG.jpg

e3i60Qy.jpg

Forgrimm comes with the Knockdown and Mighty Blow skills. Following up a Knockdown with Mighty Blow is a powerful combo. Eventually we’ll want him to learn the Hammer Strike which is a Knockdown and Mighty Blow in one move.

oNN98jV.jpg

W8K4VGo.jpg

6QPuOFu.jpg

On Tashman’s corpse is a cargo manifest that interestingly mentions both the Star of Ferdok and the Thalaria.

IRUFsXT.jpg

6ICrTWc.jpg

oThMVRx.jpg

With key in hand, Angela can now enter the main tower of the fortress.

iMC3SmB.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 14: Dark Tentacles

Inside the tower there’ll be more quarreling but this time at least there are no more separations.

AxRONk7.jpg

Again Angela chooses the cautious route here.

kOOb1q0.jpg

XcemGgR.png
Bah, I'll follow along just to keep an eye on you. Let's go!

The stairs down from the entrance hall lead to the jail. The jailer first sets his hounds on the group then locks himself up.

K8zmSAM.jpg

xCDb7Pg.jpg

Tnw4WWc.jpg

CS5llLY.jpg

5miwPRA.jpg

wMjvpi8.png
Ha! You won't get me so easily! Not me!

XcemGgR.png
Count on it, scoundrel! You won't get away from us!

wMjvpi8.png
What are you going to do then, huh? I'm locked up safe and sound in here! And that's how I'm staying!

OKlt61R.png
Well in that case, we've got you too. Maybe we should calm down and talk about this.

wMjvpi8.png
Pah! You'll learn nothing from me!

EozdLOG.png
Why did you run from us?

wMjvpi8.png
Are you joking? I know what you did in the courtyard! You're not doing the same to me!

EozdLOG.png
How do I open the door that leads to the top of the fortress?

wMjvpi8.png
Haha, not at all! You need the dungeon key for that!

EozdLOG.png
And where can I find that?

wMjvpi8.png
Well, the Commandant has one... and I have one! And you can bet I'm not giving it to you!

EozdLOG.png
Give me the key!

wMjvpi8.png
Ha! Yeah right! The key opens all the cell doors! I think I'll hold on to it!

The jailer must be coerced into giving up the key; conveniently his cell is surrounded by cells containing boars, wolves and bears. However, the bear is asleep.

The trick is to let the boars and wolves into the jailer’s cell. They will fight which will wake up and anger the bear.

Imj82Or.jpg

SPAccZt.jpg

After the jailer’s out he will give up the key.

wMjvpi8.png
What's... what are you doing?! The bear's angry! Help! Let me out of here! I'll give you the key!

wMjvpi8.png
Phew, thank Tsa! I thought I was bound for Boron's halls! Oh... here's the key.

wMjvpi8.png
Err... you're not going to hurt me, are you?

EozdLOG.png
Tell me what happened to the prisoners.

wMjvpi8.png
They... they're all dead! Bloomfold! He had them all killed.

EozdLOG.png
[Human Nature] That's not the whole story, is it? How did the prisoners die?

wMjvpi8.png
I... I've already said too much. Please, I've done nothing to you! Let me go!

EozdLOG.png
Why are all these animals in the dungeon?

wMjvpi8.png
The Fortress Commandant... he has a penchant for... all kinds of animals. And the larger animals need food...

Interestingly enough there’s an attribute check here.

dMNhcIW.jpg

OKlt61R.png
You're right. Why don't we lock this good fellow into one of the empty cells? He looks like he needs some peace and quiet.

EozdLOG.png
Good idea. Let’s lock him up.

wMjvpi8.png
What? There’s no need for that.

XcemGgR.png
What's wrong, Xomasho? A moment ago you were so happy to be in a cell, haha!

EozdLOG.png
You'll just have to wait and see. See you later... maybe.

In any case the group can now move on to the upper levels.

IKdIvHc.jpg

jVRTdPJ.jpg

Only two more guards now stand behind Angela and Bloomfold.

IDGE45s.jpg

jouSA2n.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Stay calm. There's no need for more bloodshed. We just want to talk to your commandant.

29LCuFP.png
Hear that, Metzel? They just want to talk! Very impressive, don't you think?

29LCuFP.png
……………………………..

EozdLOG.png
Listen, we would rather avoid unnecessary bloodshed. Just let us pass.

29LCuFP.png
Hard to believe Tashman's people couldn't handle you. But they were just fodder. Now you'll get a real fight!

Despite the braggadocio the body guards last about ten seconds.

dACmhxu.jpg

4spORwQ.jpg

Now finally fatass Commander can be confronted.

hezPyZc.jpg

dyYqjI3.jpg

XcemGgR.png
Spare us the pleasantries, you villain! We know what you're up to! You're in league with the pirates!

8LO0FOi.png
Oh, so you discovered that already. Truly impressive. Did Tashman talk before you did away with him?

EozdLOG.png
You seem to find the death of your underlings amusing. Are you really so unscrupulous?

8LO0FOi.png
Pah! I'm a practical man, I don't cry over spilt milk. But if you care so much, perhaps you shouldn't have killed them, hmm?

EozdLOG.png
Tashman said you had been warned about us. Who told you about us?

8LO0FOi.png
Oh, wouldn't you like to know? Did you really think your snooping would go unnoticed? How simple-minded of you! It's incredible, you got this far...

EozdLOG.png
Let's get to the point! What kind of deal do you have with the pirates?

8LO0FOi.png
A lucrative arrangement. We give them information, and they always drop off a little package here or there. They'll be raiding an Elf village soon. I wonder what they'll bring me?

8LO0FOi.png
They say the most peculiar things about female Elves... maybe I'll find out the truth for myself soon, hehehe.

Shitlord Bloomfold actually manages in triggering Fayris.

YPloVOT.png
I'll show you how an Elven woman behaves, Feygra! That'll answer your questions forever!

8LO0FOi.png
Well, I think our little discussion is drawing to a close. I'm a very busy man, and you're beginning to bore me...

EozdLOG.png
Well I have more than enough time. First tell us where we can find that Elf village!

8LO0FOi.png
Oh it makes no difference... there are plenty of others who will get the treasures there for me... and now, I'm afraid your questions really have become far too dull.

EozdLOG.png
Fine, since you're so impatient to be clapped in irons. Just tell us where the pirates are.

XcemGgR.png
Yes, where are those scoundrels hiding? I'm getting sick of trawling up and down this river looking for them!

OKlt61R.png
And what about Mora? Is she also with the pirates?

8LO0FOi.png
Mora? Hm, interesting that you ask that... my river pirate friends have mentioned that name a few times. They sounded quite agitated...

8LO0FOi.png
If she's so important, then maybe she's still alive. That would be important to you, wouldn't it? Such a pity you'll never find out.

EozdLOG.png
You are defeated, fool. Surrender and we will be merciful.

XcemGgR.png
That's right! One more arrogant remark and I'll smash every tooth in his face!

8LO0FOi.png
Hahaha! You don't seem to understand your position. Right now Coldstone's man is dealing with your friends on the ship. And I have a very special surprise for you.

5WedIa4.jpg

xLRRR5P.jpg

Bloomfold surprised everyone by triggering a trapdoor.

64V7UeH.jpg

mMJFIKB.jpg

kO84Mzo.jpg

Down below there’s a bossfight with :mhd:

sKNPJ2t.jpg

fBBZBMb.jpg

V56v72V.jpg

bRbt7It.jpg

L7pWth1.jpg

The head of the kraken cannot be damaged but the tentacles can. Forgrimm and Fayris’ animal attack the tentacles directly while the rest uses ranged attacks.

The tentacles can poison and knockdown.

tLSL9dm.jpg

q4iZVzs.jpg

RsEXc4W.jpg

The kraken can spit ink which works like a Blitz Dich Find spell.

eKyvaeL.jpg

After taking down the tentacles the kraken will disappear for a while and summon morfu, huge snails that can shoot poison barbs.

jkjQdSB.jpg

RL7gEuL.jpg

nBsk4Vb.jpg

After another round of morfu and two more rounds of tentacles the kraken will die. In its death throes it takes down the ceiling, swallowing up Bloomfold in the process.

YV9DjM7.jpg

5pcR2lg.jpg

FijjVxT.jpg

g8ekuQT.jpg

WrQtEqV.jpg

DFB88iJ.jpg

Killing the kraken gifts two quest items: a strange artifact and a wooden leg.

P6I7zhN.jpg

OKlt61R.png
Phex be thanked, that was close! Much longer and we'd be in that creature's stomach too. A rather tasteless death.

YPloVOT.png
The stench in this cave is so bad I can barely think. If you don't mind, I'd like to get out of here as quickly as possible.

OKlt61R.png
Wait, maybe we can find something useful down here. Forgive me, my dear, but as a follower of the Fox, it would be unforgiveable not to check.

YPloVOT.png
Do you mean this wooden leg, thief? ... Wait, this looks unusual... like a fragment of something... We should keep this.

On the dead kraken’s carcass are some useful items Forgrimm can make use of.

D2hCk9C.jpg

uQlogYl.jpg

R4BoCM0.jpg

nn5rn72.jpg

me2Gplz.jpg

By the way, morfu barbs can be used as crossbow ammo… the poison is quite powerful.

evXSS8z.jpg

A skeleton in the room has another quest related item.

7YieX6u.jpg

fcJKoJY.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 15: Aftermath

The Kraken cave exits not far from the harbour.

7IIFrs9.jpg

ETIyuny.jpg

Returning to the Thalaria, it turns out shit happened to Ardo.

I0hqIzd.jpg

TYISKLk.jpg

U4UqaIH.jpg

UPfaWfi.jpg

GNdOqJF.jpg

p4zjOAe.jpg

lFlYYv6.jpg

5QLn1KV.jpg

O0Bqkcr.jpg

9yQbAOA.jpg

LxIuySh.jpg

ptuB44x.jpg

2OdiXU1.jpg

4DBks4j.jpg

bRRVvpS.jpg

6IY5e1A.jpg

XcemGgR.png
What? You know this man? And you and that Mora worked with him?! By the Forge of Angrosh, what does this mean, thief?

OKlt61R.png
Well... Mora and I are... old rivals. We've been in competition for a long time for the title of 'King of Thieves'. This man spoke to us in a tavern in Havena.

EozdLOG.png
'King of the Thieves'? What are you talking about?

OKlt61R.png
It may not mean much to you. But we children of the Fox know what it means.

OKlt61R.png
Mora is my only serious rival. There are no better thieves than us in all Havena. This man knew that.

OKlt61R.png
We were arguing about how we were going to outdo each other. He joined us and did what he could to stir things up even more.

OKlt61R.png
Finally, he made a proposition. By the Lord of the Night, a truly foolhardy idea!

OKlt61R.png
Mora must have taken him at his word, because she went to ground soon after. I decided I had to beat her to it. By Phex, it was a real masterpiece, I don't mind telling you!

EozdLOG.png
What did you steal, Cano?

OKlt61R.png
Oh... err, nothing. Unfortunately, Ardo and Forgrimm caught me.

XcemGgR.png
Haha, now I understand! Caught by your own tricks, Cano! And all because of a woman!

OKlt61R.png
I... I was careless for just a moment. To my horror, I realized that Mora had already...

XcemGgR.png
Silence, rogue! Must I remind you of your oath!

EozdLOG.png
What oath? What are you talking about?

OKlt61R.png
I can't talk about it. We swore an oath of silence.

XcemGgR.png
Exactly! And only Ardo can release us from it! Ardo!! By Angrosh, we must get him quickly to a healer!

yZhU5yx.png
Yes, we should get him on board and think about where to look for help.

The Tollgate part of main quest is now over and switches to find healing for Ardo.

fZgjShP.jpg

MVOvKZW.jpg

XcemGgR.png
What are we waiting for? Raise the sails! Oh Ardo, shame on my beard! Why did I leave you alone!

OKlt61R.png
Where should we go, Forgrimm? That blade must have had an evil poison. I've never seen anything like it. I don't know if a normal healer can help us.

EozdLOG.png
What about Brother Emmeran? He seems to know about all kinds of mysteries. At least some of his predictions seem to have come true.

YPloVOT.png
That's a possibility. I don't think he's the fool so many people believe him to be. But I wouldn't like to guess what he's really up to.

yZhU5yx.png
Yes, the Voice of the Riverfather! Erm, I know the deonts of the city don't think much of him, but his advice never did me any harm. Or maybe you have some other ideas?

EozdLOG.png
Brother Emmeran seems to be the best place to start looking for a cure for Ardo. What do you think?

XcemGgR.png
Let's be on our way. To Brother Emmeran's island!

OKlt61R.png
We carefully consider our next steps. Ardo's life doesn't seem to be in immediate danger, he just won't wake up. Let's equip ourselves in Nadoret first.

XcemGgR.png
Equip ourselves? You want to go shopping and plan your next dishonest deeds while Ardo lies here close to death! To Emmeran's island, I say!

yZhU5yx.png
This is pointless! Somebody must lead our group until Master Ardo has been healed. Would you do it? After all, you did make it through the Tollgate with these two squabblers.

EozdLOG.png
I will gladly repay my debt to Ardo. But I don't know if I am experienced enough to be the leader.

OKlt61R.png
Let's have no false modesty here! You've already proven that you've got a good head on your shoulders. And if Shorty won't take my advice, maybe he'll listen to you.

XcemGgR.png
At least I'll know I'm not taking a lousy thief's advice! I don't mind if you take command for now. As long as we can finally help Ardo.

EozdLOG.png
Very well. I am ready to lead.

yZhU5yx.png
Then we are agreed. Men: this expedition now has a new leader.

SfddPfo.png
: Yes, Captain!

XcemGgR.png
Kangrosha! Then let's set sail, with Angrosh's blessing! We must help Ardo!

Note: Angrosh is what the Dwarves call Ingerimm.

OKlt61R.png
Yes, the wisdom and blessing of Phex be with you. You are taking on a heavy responsibility.

YPloVOT.png
I know Ardo is a good man, just as Jaakon was. Therefore, I feel I must continue to help you and him. And then Coldstone will pay for his deeds...

yZhU5yx.png
Hm, I think I've worked out that you're no ordinary merchants. Don't worry, I'll keep quiet if that's what you want. Let me know when you have orders.

Before leaving Tollgate, however, we must finish some sidequests. Lucia is already waiting just beyond the Thalaria’s boarding plank.

Irg8B1Y.jpg

8Lqf5Wh.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I found this gold ring. Could it be his? [Give object]

h9m646w.png
That ... that's Felian's ring! Where did you find it? What happened to Felian?

EozdLOG.png
The Commandant murdered him. I'm sorry.

n51Wor1.jpg

h9m646w.png
If... if I could just get to Ferdok and tell people what happened here... That's the only thing I can do for Felian now.

yZhU5yx.png
By Efferd's Beard, I wish I could take you there. But our leader urgently needs help and Ferdok is too far upriver.

Luckily the Horasian merchant appears to help.

4vzJozc.jpg

YPloVOT.png
When you get there, don't go to the guard. Ask for a man named Gerlin instead. He will be able to help you. Tell him Fayris sent you.

OKlt61R.png
Clever advice! We don't know how far Coldstone's intrigues reach.

h9m646w.png
Coldstone? I don't know who that is, but I'll take your advice. Thank you. And you too, good merchant. May Travia bless you.

s25ALmJ.png
Let's be on our way immediately. Please follow me, young lady.

Next, there’s the matter with the wooden leg.

VeV0oxn.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Don't worry, Commandant Bloomfold has been... removed. I'm sure there'll soon be a new commandant bringing some law and order to the place.

56g8Anj.png
Well, let's hope so! Until then, I'm not setting another foot in that fortress! And all this business down at the docks! There are three dead bodies in my inn! No, no, no...

EozdLOG.png
I found this wooden leg…

56g8Anj.png
By Travia's Hearth! It's Gero's leg! Wh... where did you get it?

EozdLOG.png
In the... in the fortress! He was murdered.

56g8Anj.png
Murdered! Oh, my poor, silly Gero! I'm sorry I thought ill of you... I told him to take care around that Tashman...

56g8Anj.png
Erm... could you give me that leg? To remember him by, I mean?

EozdLOG.png
[Human Nature] A souvenir? Is that really the only reason you want it?

56g8Anj.png
Alright, by Travia, you're right. I can use it to open Gero's chest.

56g8Anj.png
I tell you what, give me the leg and I'll let you take one thing from Gero's chest. And apart from that – if you want to trade, I'll give you a good price.

EozdLOG.png
Agreed. Here, take the leg. [Give object]

56g8Anj.png
Thank you. Let's see what's in there...

56g8Anj.png
There's a bag full of coins a battered old map and a rusty key. Choose something!

EozdLOG.png
I’ll take the map.

56g8Anj.png
You want the map? You don't really think it leads anywhere, do you? Well, a promise is a promise.

56g8Anj.png
Fine, I'll pack the rest away before someone steals it. Can I do anything else for you?

The map leads to a treasure chest not far behind the castle.

UxEJtST.jpg

ioi3b5O.jpg

Gci2ttq.jpg

oRIvJNV.jpg

The chest does contain some valuable treasure.

1DB7r86.jpg

Back at the ship, our companions will now have some new things to say. We haven’t properly talked to either Forgrimm or Cano anyway.

qKvBJnK.jpg

YPloVOT.png
The Elves will certainly find a way of healing Ardo’s ailment. He’s a good man, and we want to support his mission ... whatever it may be, exactly.

EozdLOG.png
What do you think of Ardo?

YPloVOT.png
Ardo is a fine fellow, he is very natural, that’s what I like about him. Yet I also sense that he’s troubled by a heavy burden. Let’s hope that we learn about it soon enough to be able to help him.

EozdLOG.png
How do you get along with Forgrimm?

YPloVOT.png
To be honest ... it’s not always easy with him. He’s simply too hotheaded. Always running his head against the wall. A true Dwarf.

EozdLOG.png
What do you think of Cano?

YPloVOT.png
Hmm ... he seems to enjoy what he’s doing, completely in conformity of this god he so reveres. What I also like about him is that he consistently rejects using brute force and tries alternative paths.

YPloVOT.png
Even when it can get pretty strenuous at times. Only the constant quarreling with Forgrimm bothers me somewhat.

Btw, Cano’s voice over is one of the best in the German version but in the English version… arguably the worst.

MESFkxU.jpg

OKlt61R.png
Maybe I should hold back a bit more, so that Forgrimm doesn’t hack me to pieces. Without Ardo ... well, just between us, maybe it is my fault that things went so far after all. In any case I am blaming myself ...

EozdLOG.png
What was it like to grow up in Havena?

Note: Havena is the capital of Albernia, the westernmost kingdom of Middenrealm bordering the ocean.

OKlt61R.png
Well, naturally as a Bennadin all doors were open to me. I was supposed to follow in my ... uh ... father’s footsteps and assume his position. A big responsibility!

Not sure what Cano is alluding to, but the similar sounding Cano ui Bennain was King of Albernia at the time.

EozdLOG.png
What do you think about Ardo now?

OKlt61R.png
If it weren’t for him, I’d have lost my head long ago. Please don’t think I had anything personal against him when I wanted to steal from him. It was purely business.

EozdLOG.png
Let’s get back to Forgrimm now…

OKlt61R.png
Doesn’t he at some point have to realize which opportunities he passes up by waging battle? Well, I suspect he is only so enraged because he’s worried about his friend.

EozdLOG.png
What’s your opinion of Fayris?

OKlt61R.png
I’m telling you, Fayris is dependable and believe me, I know women!

7gibPht.jpg

XcemGgR.png
We have to get Ardo back to health ... I don’t care how. The main thing is that my friend can hold on to a tankard again!

EozdLOG.png
Tell me something about yourself.

XcemGgR.png
I am Forgrimm, son of Ferolax. In former times – when I was still with my clan – I cleared the tunnels of all kinds of animals ... and other things. Then I joined Ardo. And now I look out for Ardo. Heh heh ... and I keep an eye on Scallywag. Hm ... yes.

EozdLOG.png
Ardo means a lot to you, doesn’t he?

XcemGgR.png
Of course! Ardo is my best friend ... and if we don’t manage to get him well again ... then ... then ... who would I drink a Pale Ale... or have escapades with?

EozdLOG.png
Back on the subject of Cano…

XcemGgR.png
It’s only because of him and that ... that Mora that we are even in this mess. Otherwise I would be happily downing a tankard of Pale Ale with Ardo right now. Well ... at least he’s helping us.

EozdLOG.png
Your opinion of Fayris?

XcemGgR.png
Hm, well I don’t really have any particular opinion about her. Too occupied with Scallywag for that.

In any case, back at the Isle of Forgetting Emmeran won’t be able to help directly but will mark a new location on the world map.

zsuWNlQ.jpg

EozdLOG.png
You were right about the Tollgate, Brother Emmeran.

ILSonW7.png
Yes, the signs were all too clear, unfortunately. But tell me what happened.

EozdLOG.png
The tollkeepers were in league with the pirates! They tried to kill us! Our leader Ardo was ambushed and poisoned. He has been in this state ever since.

ILSonW7.png
Oh, great Riverfather, what mischief prospers on your shores! Quick, let me see his wounds!

fTCO9Tr.jpg

Note: the Great Mother Emmeran refers to is Sumu.

EozdLOG.png
The Tollgate commandant mentioned that the pirates were planning to attack an Elf village. Maybe the Elves can help Ardo.

ILSonW7.png
Hmm, the Elves are truly powerful healers. I know where to find their village. They asked me to keep it secret, but in this case I hope they will forgive me. I shall show you on your map.

L1q2KPM.jpg

There’s also the matter of the artifact the Kraken dropped.

eHiMU4R.jpg

ILSonW7.png
Let me see... Oh Holy Great Mother, so that's it! Oh, great Riverfather, why draw me into your dispute with the Fathomless One? How can we mortals withstand his fury?

EozdLOG.png
I don't understand... What are you talking about, Brother Emmeran?

ILSonW7.png
I... forgive me, my feelings overcame me... Only now do I understand the consequences of your actions. This artifact opens the doors to the temple.

ILSonW7.png
Since this place was destroyed in a feud between the two gods, Efferd's fury has seethed in its depths. The Old God has never forgotten the humiliation visited upon him by the Riverfather

ILSonW7.png
The anger of the Ocean God is like a relentless maelstrom. It swallows everything, even the brightest light, and spits it out again as darkness.

ILSonW7.png
This darkness climbs from the depths of the temple and poisons the river. It lures foul monsters that mock the power of the Riverfather in his own realm...

EozdLOG.png
Creatures like the Kraken Newt?

ILSonW7.png
Yes, like the Kraken Newt. I know that Humans had started to use it for their own dark purposes, but in the end they were also just tools of Efferd's vengeful fury.

EozdLOG.png
I don't know if I understand all this... Do you think there's a reason I found this thing?

ILSonW7.png
The first time I saw you in Nadoret, I knew your actions were linked to the will of the Gods. I just did not know what role you would play.

ILSonW7.png
I will use the fragment to open the temple. But you must go alone. As the Voice of the Riverfather, I am forbidden from intervening directly, forgive me.

EozdLOG.png
If you think it is important that I enter the temple, then I will gladly do so. But what exactly do you want me to do in there?

ILSonW7.png
You must find your way into the deep and confront that which awaits you. I can tell you no more, I'm sorry. I can only thank you for your valor. And now, follow me.

Brother Emmeran opens the temple but we will not enter just yet.

huh2bME.jpg

ae480IS.jpg

mZuTkU4.jpg

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
What a coincidence, I also play this game currently. What a great char system, a pity the dev went belly up, really, I don't see why these games should be less successful than NWN or Divinity tbh.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
Played this game when it first released.
Pretty cool. Ardo was my favorite party member.
Too bad the "sequel" was a hack & slash browser game.

I remember the story had some loose ends too, so they were probably planning a proper third part.

drexciya

Augur
Played this game when it first released.
Pretty cool. Ardo was my favorite party member.
Too bad the "sequel" was a hack & slash browser game.

I remember the story had some loose ends too, so they were probably planning a proper third part.
As far as I know, they got bought by another company, because of poor financial situation, so they weren't able to create a proper third part.
Agreed on the character system and the games in general.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 16: Magic Mishap

Returning to Nadoret there will be a purple glow north of town. Worth checking out.

3h17rCF.jpg

Greyhair now has a new letter from Gerlin for Angela.

PHag29B.jpg

Tx9abcf.jpg

Occasionally there will be a fishmonger at the docks; she does not sell anything interesting but is worth pickpocketing.

EcMdWqv.jpg

She carries a magical dagger; it is a powerful weapon but more importantly now can be sold for >50 ducats.

OTkwo24.jpg

lgn839Q.jpg

Merchant Castellani we know from the Tollgate will also occasionally make stops in Nadoret; he carries exotic clothing and weaponry.

VKxpZg6.jpg

LldGo5p.jpg

For Fayris we buy the Storm sentinel plume (part of Elven armour set) and a turban since it fits well on her.

x0RGhCX.jpg

B6HPb2c.jpg

Townspeople will be now be talking about the purple anomaly; this is Angela’s first priority.

mDrxOtE.jpg

QlZOHcH.jpg

Retart Pagol is also recruiting here.

xkuJSUQ.jpg

yVH7pLE.png
Well? Are you interested in helping our town?

EozdLOG.png
That depends entirely on what it involves.

yVH7pLE.png
Mild... uh, no .., I mean service in the militia. We are looking for brave souls to help us shed some light on the nocturnal events here.

yVH7pLE.png
If you are interested, report to Captain Nimralph in the barracks.

EozdLOG.png
I’ll do that. See you soon.

At the Nadoret marketplace Marcusi has some information on a pickpocketing target.

Oog7XPW.jpg

jkuhO4R.png
You're right. Naturally, such valuable information can't be turned over for free. I’ll tell you something very interesting for 5 ducats. You'll be able to more than double those ducats with it.

EozdLOG.png
Fine, here are 5 ducats.

jkuhO4R.png
Wonderful. Be on the lookout for a very aristocratic lady. You'll recognize her for sure. It's guaranteed that robbing her would be very worthwhile.

EozdLOG.png
That sounds like easy prey. Thanks for the tip.

Angela finds this aristocratic lady around the harbour. She does carry a good sum.

jQZPI39.jpg

AJJ45Gz.jpg

Marcusi will now also sell some new equipment.

We buy Storm sentinel breeches for Fayris and the IGIA shirt for Angela.

Qvg0mkn.jpg

yW2HVUZ.jpg

Also Angela get a better looking hat.

yWw42Cv.jpg

nGxZH0J.jpg

At this point not far from the harbour a dude has appeared offering a sidequest.

SwDXwhT.jpg

myfNjqQ.jpg

EozdLOG.png
[Human Nature] You’re hiding something, otherwise you would have called on the Town Guard to help you.

0jT9VPP.png
What? I ... but you’ve got it all wrong! I was trying to convince the guards of the looming danger, but they only mocked me. If something isn’t done soon, then it will be too late!

EozdLOG.png
[Seduce] You don’t have to keep any secrets from me. After all ... I’m on your side.

0jT9VPP.png
[Success] Yes ... You’re right. Very well: You should know that these Wolf Rats didn’t just turn up by chance. To be more exact, I ... well .. I have been ... uh ... breeding them.

EozdLOG.png
What?! Breeding them? You can’t be serious!

0jT9VPP.png
I beg you, no one must find out about this! The disgrace would be unbearable! I’m just a poor wretch and only got the idea because rat tails are worth decent gold due to their value as a cooking ingredient.

EozdLOG.png
Giant Wolf Rats. Hhm. I’ll see what I can do.

0jT9VPP.png
I’ll never forget this favor! But you should know that these specimens are unbelievably large and strong, because they’ve ... well ... eaten something magical..

0jT9VPP.png
A young breeding female rat has already escaped. It's unthinkable what would happen if the dominant male rat got out, too. He is incredibly wild and strong, a terrible beast!

0jT9VPP.png
I had already hired some mercenaries, but they were unsuccessful! I gave them the last money I had. They still have it on them, that and their armor will be your reward!

0jT9VPP.png
But be warned. I can’t take any risks, that’s why I’m going to lock the door behind you and only open it when the dominant male rat has been killed!

0jT9VPP.png
You must be really well-prepared! Let me know when you're ready, then I'll bring you to the infested cellar.

Guess we’ll deal with this later.

Kosten dropped a hint about rat tails being used as a cooking ingredient… and indeed Angela picked up a lot of these in the Tollgate sewers. The cook in the Leaping Stag buys all kinds of weird ingredients for a good bit of gold.

1VmcnW8.jpg

iXbGdJD.jpg

XrmpY6O.png
I hope that it’s something important!

EozdLOG.png
Well, I guess it’s not that important. I had better go.

XrmpY6O.png
Wait, wait! Not so fast. Maybe I was a little snappy. You look as if you get around a lot.

EozdLOG.png
That’s true. Why do you ask?

XrmpY6O.png
Well, I like to try out new ideas for recipes. To do that I look for a wide variety of ingredients that can’t simply be bought from a merchant.

EozdLOG.png
What sort of ingredients?

XrmpY6O.png
Well, we shouldn’t discuss it too loudly. I need rat tails, I've run out of those. And, yes, lice eyes and frog legs are supposed to be delicious.

XcemGgR.png
Ugghhh! Eww, rat tails, lice eyes. And I have eaten here?

XrmpY6O.png
Well, you always enjoyed it, Master Dwarf!

XcemGgR.png
But not anymore. Ugghhh, that makes my beard hair stand on end!

EozdLOG.png
Well, the things you cook sound absolutely extraordinary!

XrmpY6O.png
But it tastes delicious! Believe me, some things taste better than they look!!

EozdLOG.png
That may be. At least I have to respect your daring and experimental approach.

XrmpY6O.png
Nothing ventured, nothing gained! If you happen to come across rat tails, frog legs or lice eyes during your travels, then bring them to me. I pay well. Oh, by the way, I also accept old rolls.

With a successful haggle this can become p. lucrative.

4MbewqU.jpg

Back at the Thieves Guild Dilga will already be aware of the nightly terror, i.e. a werewolf.

PABxRaA.jpg

QkQp0Ry.png
Yes, the beast struck again last night. I heard that Captain Nimralph wants to add new recruits to his militia.

EozdLOG.png
Yes, that idiot bailiff Pagol is busy trying to recruit people.

QkQp0Ry.png
If you wish, you can help Captain Nimralph. The town's safety means a lot to me. Apart from that, I don't want our people to run into that wolf beast while they are on their nightly excursions.

EozdLOG.png
Thank you, Dilga. I’ll consider it.

While at Dilga’s, Angela learns some new skills: Precision strike and Dodge I.

CsIzXw4.jpg

7ykiZ5O.jpg

After learning Aimed Throw Cano can already learn Rain of Iron at this point, a powerful skill with some p. steep requirements (14 DEX, 14 AGI). It’ll take a while before Angela can learn this.

ExgsXew.jpg

Cano is also supplied with some throwing stars; this kind of ammo tends to be depleted extremely quickly and is most effective against unarmoured or lightly armoured opponents.

OARo414.jpg

Next remaining part members are supplied with better armour and armour pieces.

E0BTkfL.jpg

jSYjPaG.jpg

zxoQwlA.jpg

For Forgrimm the dwarven coat will be a significant upgrade.

tyydys2.jpg

At the smith’s we buy a blacksmith’s hammer for Forgrimm and have him craft himself a better shield.

ea9yzxB.jpg

qDrSOez.jpg

At the bowyer’s Fayris buys a wood-carving knife and crafts a leather armour for Cano. This will offer some protection at the cost of some encumbrance.

evFmmXa.jpg

a1n6Tf2.jpg

ixq9KIc.jpg

Fayris also crafts some special arrows for what lies ahead.

BX0VeYq.jpg

k67hZo4.jpg

After these preparations it’s time to check the hubbub at the mage tower.

ARkcjlQ.jpg

GptkpIr.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Might I inquire who issued these orders?

T60GFmk.png
Captain Nimralph has ordered the access to the magician’s tower to be closed off until we find out what happened here!

EozdLOG.png
Waiting around won’t solve anything. If you’ll let me pass, I can take care of it.

Ipk441n.jpg

EozdLOG.png
You heard them, Bailiff. The people are on my side.

j5QbMEm.jpg

It is not too hard to convince the guards to let us pass.

fDMFyxp.jpg

EozdLOG.png
You heard them – the people are scared. Let me help. I might be able to prevent worse things from happening.

EozdLOG.png
Do you really mean to tempt fate and just let things take their course? I beg you, let me try to fix this.

rwSg28G.png
No, of course not. But orders are orders.

T60GFmk.png
Oh, what the heck! You can go through. Maybe Phex is well-disposed towards us and it will turn out to be harmless.

EozdLOG.png
Thank you. We should know more soon.

The entire tower is surrounded by the purple glow Angela espied arriving at the harbour.

Ge9zWVq.jpg

Uf1kMjH.jpg

Behind the tower is a hidden chest but with some stuff that will be useful for what’s ahead.

R1PpTfZ.jpg

29Mwcvx.jpg

Inside the tower there’s now access to downstairs. Angela finds Hesindiane right at the bottom.

MOmPtHQ.jpg

umpIUsV.jpg

S8wtYOf.jpg

EozdLOG.png
What’s happened here?! Speak!

h6KXzcq.png
I ... I found him like that. He must have jumped out of the room with a powerful leap. Whatever shall we do ... he is ... but ... if he had only allowed ... I ...

EozdLOG.png
Calm down. What was your Master working on? Please tell me.

h6KXzcq.png
Master Brookbeard was working in his lab ... on a conjuring formula.

EozdLOG.png
Hhm. A 'conjuring formula', that’s quite vague. Do you have any idea what happened?

h6KXzcq.png
I was collecting herbs outside when a bright flash of light accompanied by tremendous thunderclap came down on the tower. The ground shook and I was knocked down.

h6KXzcq.png
And then ... it was only then I saw it: A rift in the fabric of the spheres – directly above the tower! When I had collected myself again, I hurried to the laboratory immediately and ... yes ... discovered this here.

EozdLOG.png
We have to help your Master somehow and I don’t know how long the bailiffs can give us. If a pack of superstitious farmers comes bumbling in here, things could get much worse.

h6KXzcq.png
I don’t know ... the Master, without him ... I ...

EozdLOG.png
Think! There must be a way of undoing this.

h6KXzcq.png
I, yes ... we ... we could try to open the door to the laboratory. The cause of the rift in the sphere must be in there. We can open it with the object the master is holding in his hand.

EozdLOG.png
Good! I’ll take care of whatever is in the laboratory and you try to free your Master.

h6KXzcq.png
Agreed. But caution is imperative! A spell on the door seals it when there is impending danger. Only Fuldigor knows what is behind it.

Note: Fuldigor is one of the six Ancient Dragons. “Only Fuldigor knows” is a common Aventurian saying.

With Brookbeard’s key in hand there is a small rotating puzzle to solve to open the laboratory door.

ihs2eBX.jpg

WmBX5mF.jpg

EK3xkzW.jpg

Inside the laboratory is a yuge flame inside a globe that apparently must be entered to continue.

9chfQah.jpg

xTSjKEg.jpg

Inside the globe a battle starts against some elementals; since their touch causes burning status the previously picked up burn salves are very useful.

In the end it comes down to killing them all before the salves run out.

fnbG3xx.jpg

lrJ2wFw.jpg

When all fire elementals are dead a Greater Fire Spirit will show up… but it’s four on one.

P2jrnYI.jpg

7XsY4iy.jpg

When the Greater Fire Spirit is defeated all turns back to normal again.

H61Lt0z.jpg

bMVa4mQ.jpg

8hhLUpG.png
I hardly dared to hope. I had already expected the worst after all this time.

EozdLOG.png
Why were you worried? I was gone for no more than a tenth of an hour.

h6KXzcq.png
By the chains of Satinav! You... uhhh... I ... No, several hours have elapsed during your absence.

Note: according to Twelfgods religion Satinav is a Gigant who was chained to the Ship of Time.

EozdLOG.png
What?! You're pulling my leg!

8hhLUpG.png
Not at all. It would appear that my Limbus shield also touched the sphere of time. When you found me at the door, it looked as if I were frozen in ice, just like the encased Fire Spirit.

Note: Limbus refers to the space between spheres. Travelling between spheres goes through the Limbus.

8hhLUpG.png
While the river of time was flowing much more slowly inside the shield, where you were defeating the Fire Spirit, on the outside it was flowing at a normal rate. There can't be another explanation for this phenomenon.

EozdLOG.png
Perhaps. The fire creature has been dispatched, at any rate. Has the commotion in front of the tower also died down?

h6KXzcq.png
I was able to clear up the matter calmly and quietly. And that’s not all!

8hhLUpG.png
After Hesindiana freed me from my stasis, I tried to seal the rift in the spheres... Yet I also had to maintain the second shield, after all, you were still in there.

8hhLUpG.png
The Elemental could have escaped, but having observed many hours of your masterly combat techniques - although it all seemed to be in slow motion to us - we were sure that you would be victorious.

EozdLOG.png
That's all very well. And I'm very thankful to you, but ...

8hhLUpG.png
You will want a reward, of course... and rightfully so!

8hhLUpG.png
You have performed an invaluable service on behalf of science and ...uh ... me of course, and the mortal world. That’s the reason I feel compelled to reward you as follows:

8hhLUpG.png
Here, this magician's hat is your reward! I hope it will prove to be useful to you.

The magician’s hat offers decent protection but looks silly and shall not be used.

RC1eqWy.jpg

The true reward is the Ring of Life that the fire spirit dropped. It shall go to Forgrimm.

B4bvbSs.jpg

3WCcPdL.jpg

Gy7RJe2.jpg

Furthermore, the Codex upstairs in the tower will have some new spells for Fayris to learn.

kr0xZUc.jpg

b8lLtld.jpg

hvsYw4Q.jpg

BOdkFdZ.jpg

However, Fayris will not be able to cast the following spells because they are Human-only:

lDNTr0P.jpg

EMAZ4u8.jpg

LJb9sX7.jpg

Next, Angela will hunt a werewolf.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 17: No truce with the furries

When Angela arrives at the barracks Nimralph will be quarreling with the Parios deont.

GfUd9Xs.jpg

rKCBYiT.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I wanted to join the militia.

vIv6XGC.png
Oh, the militia, eh? Well, you've come to the right place.

DS1JlIO.png
Don't involve any more innocent people in this, Nimralph. Leave it to the Inquisition. I already sent for them!

vIv6XGC.png
Yes, you said that already, Deont Irian. But how many must die before Grand Inquisitor Dexter Nemrod gets here? Until he does, I will take this in hand!

DS1JlIO.png
I tried to warn you... but if you don't listen, I can't help you! The Grand Inquisitor will not be pleased to hear of your actions. I am leaving...

vIv6XGC.png
And now to you... the Town Guard needs as much help as it can get right now. Above all, we need people with combat experience!

EozdLOG.png
Tell me more!

vIv6XGC.png
Last night the night watch heard someone screaming horribly near the harbor. When they went to investigate, they found the corpse of a man who had been terribly mutilated.

vIv6XGC.png
We asked the inhabitants. Witnesses said they saw a huge animal with a silver mane... walking upright! If that makes the rounds, the whole town will soon be in uproar.

EozdLOG.png
An animal walking upright?

vIv6XGC.png
I fear we have a werewolf in town. That's what Laurelin the Elf said when I told him about the creature.

vIv6XGC.png
The Praios priest thinks we should wait until the Inquisition arrives... but I don't want to wait and have even more citizens killed by this beast.

EozdLOG.png
Do you have a plan?

vIv6XGC.png
We'll organize a hunt for it with as many armed men as we can find. If the gods smile on us, we'll corner the beast and kill it.

vIv6XGC.png
I want to have this problem solved by the time the sun comes up tomorrow. I am a man of action, not of words!

vIv6XGC.png
You can rest in quarters at the barracks until the hunt starts tonight. What do you say? Can I count on you?

EozdLOG.png
All right. I’m in.

vIv6XGC.png
By Rondra, I won't forget this! Come, I'll show you your quarters...

However it’s prudent to take some training first.

Fayris also crafts the longbow in preparation.

DMSonDM.jpg

Forgrimm learns Crossbow related talents.

cz7OA11.jpg

axeVQ4S.jpg

Cano learns Endurance I.

hcl5Dfl.jpg

So then next night, the werewolf hunt begins.

lw73m6g.jpg

l5Tuf8z.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Of course. Er ... what are you doing with that goat over there?

vIv6XGC.png
Very simple, it's bait for the wolf. We'll find a suitable place for it and hide in ambush. Then when the wolf appears, maybe we can surprise it.

Fayris will now start with some annoying hippie crap.

wWasG2D.jpg

YPloVOT.png
There must be another way to trap the wolf... without us having to spill innocent blood.

vIv6XGC.png
Now you listen to me! I would slaughter a dozen goats if it meant saving only one of my men! Is that clear enough?

YPloVOT.png
Why do you assume that you have the right to do this?

vIv6XGC.png
I have the right to do it because I am responsible for the safety of my men and the citizens of this town! And I would sacrifice much more to do that! Enough of this humbug!

vIv6XGC.png
If we attack the werewolf, it may try to escape. So we've put up barricades all over town... That way we can corner it.

vIv6XGC.png
The town gates are also closed, so it won't be able to escape!

EozdLOG.png
Let the hunt begin.

vIv6XGC.png
May the Goddess of Victory smile on us this night! Forward, men!

xTD46jH.jpg

vIv6XGC.png
I'll tie up the goat here. When the wolf leaps onto the bait, maybe we can surround it before it notices us...

YPloVOT.png
Aye, the end justifies the means! How humane...

vIv6XGC.png
You better hide with the others.

Nimralph’s plan works; with an entire group against one wolf it shouldn’t long to defeat it.

ejxf5pf.jpg

muplIye.jpg

6KJRWyy.jpg

Hilariously, the werewolf zooms in right on Fayris. Guess she would’ve made a much better bait than the goat.

d3JGJ1h.jpg

Unfortunately the werewolf escapes and needs to be chased across town.

pZ8Ts58.jpg

nhxoIgB.jpg

There’s another fight with the werewolf but eventually he escapes to the main marketplace.

PwW0zGY.jpg

JsGFToS.jpg

44Anuu7.jpg

BSM0s8E.jpg

JsE6rjE.jpg

7OshTfi.jpg

The werewolf knocks everyone down jumping down from the Praios temple. Though his wolves will not immediately attack themselves.

JlAYkep.jpg

VH28bgY.jpg

YKzkTxy.jpg

The main werewolf is easy to drive off, the battle becomes more tricky when all other wolves attack. In the end, though, I managed without using any potion.

Not to mention, Nimralph is unkillable here.

vWEGSlA.jpg

pruYBnK.jpg

rM1KOZq.jpg

whtgFvL.jpg

vIv6XGC.png
I'm pretty badly injured! You'll have to finish it off without me...

vIv6XGC.png
That creature was already severely wounded when it fled... follow it into the Temple and kill it! ... I'll be there as soon as I can...

EozdLOG.png
Don't worry! Put your trust in me!

Kr9CD6f.jpg

There is no more fighting however; the group is just in time to witness the werewolf’s final moments.

7q87Tci.jpg

xlyti20.jpg

IB1Cr9R.jpg

So in the end, it’s just another case of religious hypocrisy.

uHT0AgR.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Right… it was the Praios deont.

vIv6XGC.png
Well, that could explain why we haven't heard from the Inquisition. I'll attend to this matter in due course.

EozdLOG.png
It is unfortunate that we had to kill him. But we had no choice.

vIv6XGC.png
Yes, I agree. But the main thing is that it's over.

vIv6XGC.png
Phew, that was a long night. Let's get back to the barracks. Tomorrow is another day of plenty of work for me and the rest of my men. And you have good reason to celebrate at least a bit.

Back at the barracks Angela receives her reward.

dJL1qsx.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Thank you, those few hours' sleep did me good. You look completely exhausted, though.

vIv6XGC.png
Yes, we spent the last few hours repairing the damage in town... and recovering the bodies of many a good man.

EozdLOG.png
Yes, the victory over the werewolf must be tinged with sadness for you ...

vIv6XGC.png
At least my people didn't die in vain. And I have you to thank for that! Here... take this Andergastian sword as a token of my gratitude for fighting well at my side!

EozdLOG.png
Thank you, I will cherish it! All the best, Captain!

The Andergast blade is p. gud and worth holding on to.

NWlN9Gq.jpg

Since Angela just took down a pack of werewolves, might as well go after the big rat now.

j2mwW9d.jpg

YtxGHMB.jpg

eukMtJj.jpg

What makes the fight tricky is that the big rat will gain increasing levels of “Berserk” as he is losing health, making him defensively weaker but offensively stronger.

Not to mention, he summons packs of increasingly tougher minion rats (final wave has poisonous bite).

j97jSFy.jpg

toiLHZq.jpg

However, as long as Fayris keeps the big rat poisoned/on fire with her arrows it will eventually buckle down.

The smaller rats can be easily killed with Cano’s Rain of Iron. The Phexian AoA buff/debuff is very useful too.

0iVo2Hg.jpg

After the fight Forgrimm finally reaches level 5.

xmgaddP.jpg

RI64Duo.jpg

The rat drops a Ring of Endurance that will be used by Fayris.

vESKyh4.jpg

UauJSVb.jpg

mlLZj44.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 18: Hunting Preserve

At this point a weirdo nobleman shows up at the harbour.

qzjEb2j.jpg

k3IMUjk.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I’m not a sailor, but maybe I can help you just the same. What do you want to know?

IPmcont.jpg
Very well. I’m looking for a means of travel. The ship I was originally scheduled to sail on has apparently been delayed.

Yallik pops into the conversation.

RXspUmO.png
What’s going on here? Is this guy causing trouble?

EozdLOG.png
No, no, Yallik. This nobleman here is merely requesting passage on our lovely ship.

IPmcont.jpg
By your leave, my name is Enno of Vardock. I was on the way to Falconhurst hunting estate to take up my duties as Lord Protector there. Unfortunately.

RXspUmO.png
I see! If you would excuse us for just a teeny tiny moment, please? Yes? Good!

EozdLOG.png
Yallik, what’s the matter with you? Is something wrong?

RXspUmO.png
Heh heh, not at all! Just the opposite: I know that estate. Belongs to some filthy rich nobleman. If he is the administrator, then he’s anything but poor. For sure we can get a pretty penny out of him for a journey.

EozdLOG.png
You don’t say! A pretty penny? Then you had better let me do the haggling.

IPmcont.jpg
Are there any problems? I knew there would be problems, there are always problems. Oh, how I hate these administrative tasks.

With some haggling this can become worth our while.

S7wqMSR.jpg

IPmcont.jpg
[Success] Listen. No matter what ... oh, no problems? I’m surprised. Well then, I have to get there urgently, so I’ll offer you 10 ducats.

RXspUmO.png
Very generous of you. You have your passage!

EozdLOG.png
But…

IPmcont.jpg
Would you be kind enough to load my belongings onto the ship? It’s only these few chests behind me.

EozdLOG.png
Of course, Master Vardock. Sailor Yallik will be happy to do it.

RXspUmO.png
But…

IPmcont.jpg
Very good. Then that’s settled, too. Don’t make any effort to be careful. The wagon driver was so rough when he unloaded my things that everything is broken by now, in any case.

There is now a new location marked on the world map: the Hunting Preserve. It is an entirely optional area where some significant experience can be gained.

9zIo6Ls.jpg

i2fJCaF.jpg

Pz2lLfx.jpg

Pez4VHC.jpg

DsxpLu3.jpg

Arriving at the estate, Enno will have some tasks for Angela.

IPmcont.jpg
Aves be praised, I have finally got here. Now I can dedicate myself to my boring duties and pretend as if they were significant deeds.

Note: Aves is a demigod, the son of Rahja and Phex. Patron of travelers and adventurers.

EozdLOG.png
As you think fit. Nevertheless I hope that you were able to enjoy the journey somewhat.

IPmcont.jpg
If you want to call the constant wet conditions, the intolerable back and forth rolling of a boat journey and worries about the cargo a pleasure, then I suppose I enjoyed it.

EozdLOG.png
You have reached your destination. What about the payment we agreed on?

10 easy ducats for a simple transport is not too bad.

SQc5L20.jpg

T7aS3eE.jpg

IPmcont.jpg
If you so desire, you may hunt on the manor grounds. You have my permission as Lord Protector. It would be best to speak with the Master of the Hunt, should you need assistance.

IPmcont.jpg
And don‘t hesitate to look me up later. Surely I’ll come across enough unforeseeable situations in the administration of a manor that I can use your help with. ‘Til then!

At the hunting lodge in this big area will be some hunting tasks available.

j5eF9N5.jpg

DT8LpFH.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Many thanks. Is there anything in particular to watch out for during the hunt?

ICgnfTx.png
You have a hunting permit. So you may start stalking as and when you wish. However, there is something that you could do for the Lord Protector, a small matter …

IPmcont.jpg
A favor? Tell me more.

ICgnfTx.png
Yessir. There are some giant stag beetles plaguing us at the moment. Someone has to stop them, or they will soon have devoured all the bark from our trees.

EozdLOG.png
So, you want me to find the giant stag beetles and slay them?

IPmcont.jpg
This suggestion appeals to me very much. Be so kind as to free us from this plague. You will receive a reward for every, ahem, poison gland you find...or whatever these things have.

ICgnfTx.png
You heard the Lord Protector agree ... you will probably find the giant stag beetles on the south bank - but do not be overly disappointed if you cannot find any poison glands.

The hunt master sells a furrier’s knife that will help Fayris with animal lore.

o2TBGs8.jpg

The beetles are directly south of the hunting lodge and will attack on their own.

eSapkMZ.jpg

Tbw4J5q.jpg

In the hunting preserve are a lot of the more rarer plants used for more advanced potions, like belmart and toadstools.

lF0VdXz.jpg

wFhhSpQ.jpg

Further to the west the group is suddenly attacked by Orks. Dark Eye Orks are not green and commonly called Blackpelts (while Goblins are Redpelts).

fc7vCea.jpg

K1P8p3h.jpg

2TjyszM.jpg

Even more to the west is a forest area sealed off by two traps. In this area are many more Orks.

1OJqGCf.jpg

J5kiac2.jpg

3BsFC0L.jpg

FaULNxA.jpg

In the western part of the forest area the group encounters its first Ogre… Ogres are strong but have not too great AT value… however they do have several special skills that cannot be parried and can only be dodged including an AoA Sweep attack.

However Ogres are very susceptible to debuffing spells; it’s easiest to kill them by wounding them 5 times.

QW13zOA.jpg

n5m467D.jpg

On the bridge in the area is another large group of Orks and an Ogre.

5mclf3n.jpg

RE6EHSv.jpg

The Ogre is slow so by the time it reaches Angela all Orks are dead and gone.

kOX18ZW.jpg

9N1mGmw.jpg

However as soon as the first Ogre is down it turns out there’s a second one.

iI1jTKx.jpg

trmmiPT.jpg

For now the bridge is blocked and going further west is impossible. Time to return to Enno.

o0LoRPI.jpg

hMld6qh.jpg

Getting rid of the Orks on the Hunting Preserve is another of Enno’s tasks here.

fKNI67P.jpg

EozdLOG.png
What is it?

IPmcont.jpg
The Master of the Hunt has detected some unwelcome guests ... a band of Orks is camped out on my hunting preserve and blocked the area at the rear with a huge barrier. Can you take care of that for me?

EozdLOG.png
I’ve already encountered the Orks and killed them all.

IPmcont.jpg
That is not really good news. Because it means that I have to tell the servants to remove the felled tree. Can you tell them for me? Then their moans will grate on your ears and not on mine.

EozdLOG.png
By the way, I’ve killed the giant stag beetles.

YkHH2NW.jpg

Actually, Enno has some more information that could be useful.

EozdLOG.png
Who is the actual owner of this estate?

IPmcont.jpg
This modest hunting preserve is used by Count Orsino of Falconhurst to relieve him of the stress of his ... let us say, "government business" … although a surprising number of young ladies also seem to have an important role to play here as well …

EozdLOG.png
Can you tell me more about Orsino of Falconhurst?

IPmcont.jpg
The Count of Angbar Lake also possesses the title of the Baron of Longlake. One title is not enough for the gentleman - and I am sure that still more titles will come his way.

Note: Angbar is the capital of the Principality of Kosh.

IPmcont.jpg
His gallant ways and his band of acquaintances of all types have gained him much favor at the Emperor's Court … I can't say the same for myself.

EozdLOG.png
What exactly is your task here?

IPmcont.jpg
At this moment I am preparing for the arrival of a select hunting party. Baron Answin of Ravensmound has been invited. When a member of the Emperor's family is involved, there will be even more opportunities for me to put my large foot in it.

IPmcont.jpg
There is yet much to do to prepare for this event. Unwelcome guests must be removed from the hunting preserve. And then I must tend to the hunting lodge... ahhh, the drudgery of it all!

EozdLOG.png
Can you tell me something about nobility and politics?

IPmcont.jpg
One of the most boring topics imaginable, but if you must ...

EozdLOG.png
What do you know about Count Growin of Ferdok?

IPmcont.jpg
Growin, Son of Gorbosh was a young Dwarf warrior. Five years ago His Most Holy Magnificence Emperor Hal made him the Count of Ferdok. That still causes certain peoples' teeth to gnash...

Note: many Dwarves live in the Kosh so having non-humans in a high political position is not that uncommon.

EozdLOG.png
What do you think of Baron Dajin of Nadoret?

IPmcont.jpg
He is the most powerful Baron in the County of Ferdok and belongs to the old nobility. But between you and me: after the alleged murder of his sister, certain persons believe that he is not quite right in the head.

EozdLOG.png
Tell me about this Answin of Ravensmound.

IPmcont.jpg
He also started as a squire - but the squire of Emperor Reto. He then became Imperial Chancellor and the head of the Imperial Garethian Information Agency, the IGIA... until he fell afoul of Nemrod the Chief Inquisitor.

IPmcont.jpg
His good name was really dragged through the mud when he was accused of attempting to murder Crown Prince Brin. But apparently there are still certain persons who believe that he is a worthy man of Praios.

At any rate, until the workers remove the felled tree on the bridge is nothing left to do here for now.

QV5JM2A.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 19: Evil Book

The Thalaria returns to Tollgate to see what’s changed with Bloomfold removed from premises.

sLXc2bu.jpg

Tollgate is now under Ferdok management.

6KY92KD.jpg

6yLINKm.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Our ship is the ‘Thalaria’.

XWtpXcQ.jpg
The… the Thalaria? Then… then you’re…

EozdLOG.png
Then we’re… ?

XWtpXcQ.jpg
Then you're very welcome! Commandant van Haring wishes to speak with you as soon as you have finished docking. You will find him in the outer ward.

Next to the Thalaria a familiar looking ship is docked… it’s the Star of Ferdok.

5spor5z.jpg

9tbF4iT.jpg

4TtVm5G.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Greetings, Captain Albass. It is good to see you.

yMCelzA.png
I'm sure you've finished your training, right? Congratulations! But you're probably busy with other matters by now.

yMCelzA.png
So what can I do for you? I just got back from Elvenhus and have a few goods here. Since we need to wait for the tollkeepers anyway, why not take a look?

EozdLOG.png
What are people saying at the different ports?

yMCelzA.png
Oh, all kinds of crazy things. Just ask Janah. Great Fuldigor alone knows how much truth there is to them. Or maybe you do?

We buy the ironwooder here for Forgrimm, a very fast crossbow.

XGCJGtl.jpg

Janah will spin her own version of what happens during the main quest every time we return here.

RLLiyXb.jpg

94X1Vu1.png
Did you hear the news? A horde of insane Dwarves have placed all the tollkeepers under a magical slumber. Then they summoned a water elemental who ate the corrupt commandant!

94X1Vu1.png
But I'm sure you've seen even more exciting things! Oh, I really should stop talking, otherwise Piet will get mad again.

Piet, well, is still Piet.

2uHjWho.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Actually, it was a river pirate who hit me, not the Riverfather.

dwVhaMJ.png
You still doubt my words? You're even more stubborn than little Janah! Hmpf!

At the tavern there will now be a new NPC, an annoying twit spinning tall tales.

Tx2DxgV.jpg

64eaM6V.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Greetings! You seem to be in a good mood!

LOReIKF.png
And why shouldn't I be in a good mood? I have returned from a successful quest and I had a good beer - what more could I want?

EozdLOG.png
What was your quest?

LOReIKF.png
Barely worth mentioning. I rescued a magical unicorn from a couple of Orks.

EozdLOG.png
How so?

LOReIKF.png
I was strolling along when my carefully trained ears heard a suspicious sound. I turned around and... Bang... there it was! I saw a unicorn surrounded by six hungry Orks. Their horrid bellies rumbled like thunder and they wielded clubs the size of trees.

EozdLOG.png
How could they even lift them?

LOReIKF.png
They were unusually strong, all 10 of them.

EozdLOG.png
Strong Orks indeed…

LOReIKF.png
They approached, swinging their clubs…

EozdLOG.png
And? What did you do?

LOReIKF.png
I surrounded them.

EozdLOG.png
On your own?

LOReIKF.png
Heroes like me are so fast that they can surround enemies on their own.

EozdLOG.png
Impressive…

LOReIKF.png
I drew the circle ever tighter until all twenty Orks started to fight among themselves and killed each other. Meanwhile, the unicorn escaped to the famous magic circle.

EozdLOG.png
What stone circle?

LOReIKF.png
The famous stone circle in the East. Occasionally very precious magical items appear there. The two-handed sword Cyx was discovered there. It slays a giant in a single stroke.

EozdLOG.png
Strange. Is that where you got your winged helm?

LOReIKF.png
Of course my winged helm comes from there. It makes my enemies tremble and fair ladies blush. When I caught up with the unicorn, I found a delicate ankle chain with a stone in the form of a drop of blood. The leg of he who wears the chain is rendered invulnerable.

EozdLOG.png
Show me! I don’t believe a word of it!

LOReIKF.png
Why, I left it there, of course. It would have been disrespectful to the unicorn to plunder the stones.

EozdLOG.png
A very nice story, to be sure…

LOReIKF.png
Story? Pah, if you don't believe me, then go to the stone circle and see for yourself!

The stone circle sounds worth checking out, but first Angela goes to see the new commander.

1xu5iSe.jpg

WpJxQQF.jpg

EozdLOG.png
They told me down at the quay that you wanted to speak with the crew of the Thalaria?

iqUBevu.jpg
Ah, so you cleaned up the Tollgate. As an officer I find your methods suspect, but Duke Growin thanks you. May I make a suggestion?

EozdLOG.png
What is it?

iqUBevu.jpg
It's about the river pirates. They must be stopped. I am authorized to pay a bounty for every pirate. You would be perfect for this job.

This bounty hunt quest is the only quest in the game that never finishes.

EozdLOG.png
And how are we to go about it? Do you want me to clap the river pirates in irons and bring them to you?

iqUBevu.jpg
That would be desirable. But due to the services you have already rendered, I'm prepared to trust your good name. Just bring me the pirates' emblems.

iqUBevu.jpg
You'll get five silver thalers for every silver emblem. They say the pirate leaders wear solid gold emblems. I can give you a special reward for those.

Van Haring also has a small sidequest for Angela.

iqUBevu.jpg
Just a moment, I have a... erm ... special request for you.

EozdLOG.png
What is it?

iqUBevu.jpg
This must remain confidential. A certain Lucia told me how helpful you were. She also mentioned your... erm... tact. You seem perfect for this... err... delicate matter.

iqUBevu.jpg
My nephew Hubert, the useless brat, is shirking his duties as a soldier! He thinks the rules don't apply to him! He just spends the whole time reading a book!

iqUBevu.jpg
Unfortunately his parents are from a noble family, so I can't discipline him like a normal soldier. I need you to bring me the book to put an end to this nonsense! You'll find a way!

iqUBevu.jpg
He's usually somewhere near the river, dreaming his days away.

OKlt61R.png
Hm, I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to take the book without the boy noticing. But I don't feel good about it. His dislike of military drill indicates a fair amount of common sense, if you ask me.

XcemGgR.png
Hmpf, it can't hurt the boy to remind him of his duties. We wouldn't want him ending up as a cutpurse like you.

Hubert is located next to a small tower to the east of the tavern.

bSZ2d2G.jpg

8f3lwFi.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Why? Are you going to read your book?

gliJvRv.png
You know about it? I bet my uncle sent you to take it away from me! Tell him I'm not interested in his miserable guard duty!

gliJvRv.png
That boring beadle! All he talks about is duty and order! But he's just trying to suck up to my parents! He knows nothing about the things that are really important!

EozdLOG.png
Yes, your uncle sent me. But I want to hear your point of view too.

gliJvRv.png
My point of view? I want him to leave me alone! This book talks about things a hundred times more important than the everyday stupidity around here!

There are various ways to coax Hubert into giving up his book. Obv. Angela goes for the Phex way.

EozdLOG.png
You find it boring here, hmm? Maybe I can help you find the excitement you're looking for...

gliJvRv.png
Really? What do you mean?

EozdLOG.png
[Streetwise] I can tell you about certain... establishments... that ought to interest a young fellow like you...

8BWUzF4.jpg

OKlt61R.png
Yet another corrupted nobleman! Do you think you just made the world a better place?

The leather book contains some very interesting information, namely the troll bridge in Nadoret, trolls bribed with sweets and a small island to the south of the troll bridge.

QTW0A8W.jpg

JiCAHri.jpg

To the east of Hubert’s tower is indeed the stone circle Prancelot was talking about… but no magic items spawn there. There’s only a hidden chest with a p. useful ring for Fayris.

phraYaI.jpg

KN43QNG.jpg

QECn4yx.jpg

ZHne2nL.jpg

YhXrBuN.jpg

Returning to Van Haring, he lets Angela keep the ‘evil’ book. And also pays a lousy ducat.

nlamrh5.jpg

After these distractions, the Thalaria can move on to the Elven woods.

ktz7yne.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 20: Elven woods

Ymi0y8m.jpg

Arriving in the Elven woods, a cutscene plays.

yifI3m3.jpg

OQpcwvn.jpg

a6nvZVg.jpg

tR9n8gH.jpg

y2Rt5pU.jpg

A group of pirates is driven off by a lone Elf.

1wgMya6.jpg

S7L5Si1.jpg

fZ1Q9xA.jpg

EIrNhav.jpg

DSqWUro.jpg

3rBMx7X.jpg

g8ARfkN.jpg

7XwJHov.jpg

4O9YpgN.jpg

The Elf addresses Angela after the pirates are gone.

ymp1bs6.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Greetings! I am Angela Merkel. This is Cano, Forgrimm and Jaakon. We seek healing for our friend Ardo.

JJuF8W2.png
We will help, if we can. But like your friend, we also struggle with a dark threat that drains our strength.

EozdLOG.png
It seems our warning about the pirates is too late.

JJuF8W2.png
They were not unexpected. But we could not lessen their fury without the song of peace. Every note led to discord with all the horror.

EozdLOG.png
You seem beset by another worry.

JJuF8W2.png
Form replaces light, and shadows grow. What must be, must be.

EozdLOG.png
I understand. But... as for the pirates – we could at least help you there.

JJuF8W2.png
Act prudently! I shall send a fey to care for your friend. We shall meet again at the say'dhaba, the great tree.

EozdLOG.png
I thank you in Ardo's name. See you soon!

Back at the ship, our companions will now suggest three ways to deal with the pirate problem.

YPloVOT.png
I sense that Isaliel bears a heavy burden. It would please me to help her tribe resist the pirates.

XcemGgR.png
Yes. The pirates... I'm telling you, they're in league with that Coldstone. They're to blame for everything! Well now it's time to repay them... with my ax!

OKlt61R.png
Take it easy, Shorty! We don't know the whole story yet. We don't even know what they want here.

XcemGgR.png
Take it easy? While Ardo is dying? I'll get the whole story out of them with my fists!

OKlt61R.png
With your fist-in-the-face method, we'll never find out what the pirates did with Mora. You ought to stay here with Ardo while I deal with this.

XcemGgR.png
How dare you tell me what to do, rogue! It wasn't my idea to call on the tree huggers. Why don't you stay, while I...

EozdLOG.png
Stop your arguing! We agreed that I would lead us on our mission.

XcemGgR.png
Enough talking now! Let actions speak! ... Where's the whetstone?

YPloVOT.png
You should know that the Elves dislike bloodshed as much as I do. Let's try to arrange a peaceful negotiation where both sides get something out of it.

OKlt61R.png
Why help the pirates for nothing, when we can use their goals to achieve our own? Phex is bound to look kindly on a profitable deception!

EozdLOG.png
Cano, what is your cunning plan?

OKlt61R.png
We offer the pirates our help and find out a bit of this and that. They'll leave if we play them off against each other just right, and the Elves are bound to thank us.

EozdLOG.png
Forgrimm, do you really want to fight?

XcemGgR.png
By Angrosh, enough talk! Those river pirates don't have a chance against us... they're just a bunch of cowards!

EozdLOG.png
Fayris, what do you mean, negotiate?

YPloVOT.png
The pirates don't want trouble, just loot. Material things are unimportant to Elves, so I'm sure we can negotiate an agreement.

yhSwr13.jpg

For now, we’ll just explore the southern part of the Elven woods a bit.

R2bJ2Dl.jpg

It is a swampy area crawling with bizarre mutated creatures called mire beasts. Upon death, they transform into normal creatures.

ZLfrL1f.jpg

RpF4vUW.jpg

There are also troll toads in the area, whose legs can be sold to the Nadoret cook but are also used as an alchemical ingredient.

i7Xp14A.jpg

sCKWfuL.jpg

There are a lot of ruined buildings around where old coins can be found that can be sold for a pretty penny. They are remnants of the Bosparanian Empire.

k6wB7L9.jpg

The Bosparanian Empire ruled nearly all of Aventuria from ca. 1,500 before BF to 0 BF. BF= Bosparan’s Fall. Bosparan was the old capital of the Empire – culture wise it was kind of a mix between the Roman Empire and Ancient Egypt.

The founder and first Emperor of Middenrealm Raul the Great rebelled against the Bosparanian Empire and defeated them at the battle of Brig-Lo.

The cause of the rebellion was over a religious matter: the last Empress of Bosparan Hela-Horas announced herself to be a Goddess.

The Bosparan Empire lost majority of their territory but remained as the Horasrealm. Blackguards takes place in the Horasrealm for half the game.

The cause of the mire beast plague is revealed soon: a thorny plant with a dangerous prick.

6XKdBGt.jpg

vBtwd90.jpg

DIO2vTZ.jpg

eTNlfPb.jpg

lpnBV9d.jpg

Upon discovery of the morning thorn a druid will appear out of nowhere: Archon Megalon, a famous figure in Dark Eye lore.

yUC77HD.jpg

CfTdWWV.jpg

xp6HTvw.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I am not afraid. More interested…

pe6Xgj6.png
A most remarkable scientific phenomenon: Those pricked by the morning thorn bush undergo an immediate transformation into a mire beast.

I suppose because of her decent Arcane Lore skill, Angela can talk back.

EozdLOG.png
The transformation usually takes seven days. This must be a very unusual specimen.

pe6Xgj6.png
You also seem to be an unusual specimen. More learned than most. But don't think that you can teach me anything.

pe6Xgj6.png
The already magical properties of the plant have clearly been manipulated to accelerate the magic. This is the result of careful magical research.

EozdLOG.png
I find the plant's properties more alarming than interesting.

pe6Xgj6.png
You are afraid although you know the danger? Interesting. Tell me more.

EozdLOG.png
This plant has created a lot of very aggressive mire beasts. Who knows what they once were...

pe6Xgj6.png
I do. And you might, sooner or later. But I must deal with more important matters.

Megalon teleports away. We haven’t seen the last of him.

tSPAAQN.jpg

Up the big tree next to the morning thorn is a large but peaceful mire beast. This triggers another quest.

zJYa4IM.jpg

xECXrC9.jpg

MM9Hmd8.jpg

There are two big heads lying around the area, under their chin is seemingly buried a quest related item.

tz1NZiV.jpg

7k81phF.jpg

The other head has the useful Amulet of Rondra.

tN7qH6g.jpg

U14Staf.jpg

After the exploration we can turn our attention to the pirates, who made their base in an old Bosparanian theatre.

JDOlyM6.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 21: Phexcapade

Entrance to the pirate camp is guarded by buffoon Matt Bravethorn. An easy person to manipulate.

xQLQ4nQ.jpg

OKlt61R.png
[Cano whispers into your ear] He looks like a hot-headed type - should be perfect for our purposes. If we want to stir up trouble, Mate Bravethorn is our man.

nh7JAok.png
Hey! I'm talking to you! What do you want?

Obv. Angela will choose the wily route here.

N9bvrJr.jpg

nh7JAok.png
I dunno what I think about talking to someone like you.

EozdLOG.png
That's a shame. My tactical experience would have been very valuable in getting you the Elf treasures.

nh7JAok.png
Experience, you say? Of what? And who are you?

EozdLOG.png
Err... well the only important thing is that we could help each other.

nh7JAok.png
Hmph... maybe. What are you suggesting? And what's in it for you, huh?

EozdLOG.png
I'll speak with your people and work out a plan using their skills... for a share of the Elf treasure.

nh7JAok.png
Hmm, alright. But if I don't like your idea... then it's not my problem, okay?

EozdLOG.png
We’ll see. I’ll get to work.

Inside the camp Angela can immediately get into the captain’s good graces using Etiquette.

pfZJgR2.jpg

lna2WLD.jpg

tDT8DQS.jpg

o2baPg3.jpg

AopFG8S.png
What a surprising visit. By the Twelfgods, greetings! To whom do I owe the honor?

jrCu7Z7.jpg

AopFG8S.png
Your conduct speaks for you. Under these circumstances, it is a pleasant surprise to parley with you.

AopFG8S.png
Allow me to ask why you are here.

YPloVOT.png
[Fayris whispers in your ear] This one isn't as violent as the other pirates, I can feel it. I'm sure he would be open to negotiations.

OKlt61R.png
[Cano whispers in your ear] Make it clear that you want to negotiate so we can act freely here. Then we'll have something up our sleeve if we can't carry out my plan.

EozdLOG.png
I saw your encounter with the Elves and I wanted to make a suggestion.

AopFG8S.png
Interesting. I’m listening.

EozdLOG.png
I could act as a negotiator.

AopFG8S.png
It could work. But tell me, what are your motives?

EozdLOG.png
Quite simple. I want something from the Elves too.

AopFG8S.png
I appreciate your honesty. A rare thing nowadays.

EozdLOG.png
So we're agreed? But your people need to stay peaceful. I'll tell them myself, if necessary.

AopFG8S.png
Hold your horses, there! Theoretically speaking... what's to stop you from telling the authorities our current location?

EozdLOG.png
Well, you, of course. My ship is right here, unprotected. I wouldn't have the chance to get away.

AopFG8S.png
I see we understand one another. Speak with the crew, if you like. I can do without more trouble than these Elves are giving me already.

We now still have the opportunity to go to the Elves and go down the Negotiation path for a while before returning to sowing discontent, gaining more experience. But Angela doesn’t feel like walking.

The first thing to do is talk to a fellow called Yaarrunner.

iwggqRN.jpg

2xi42aJ.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I was just thinking about your problem with the Elves. Do you think you could help me?

EozdLOG.png
You could help by telling me what's going on here.

E7PXlJP.jpg
Hmm? Absolutely nothing is going on.

EozdLOG.png
[Human Nature] You're a terrible liar. There's something you're not telling me!

E7PXlJP.jpg
You're a smart one, eh? Occasionally something happens here, but I don't reckon any of it would interest you.

EozdLOG.png
Any information could be helpful for my plan against the Elves.

E7PXlJP.jpg
Hmm, I don’t really know…

EozdLOG.png
[Fast Talk] Oh go on. It would be nice to talk to someone else instead of always the same people. Everybody needs a bit of variety!

E7PXlJP.jpg
[Success] Alright, a little chat can't really hurt. The crew never gets enough of the loot, but that's not all!

EozdLOG.png
Yes? What else?

E7PXlJP.jpg
If you're thinking up a plan against the Elves, you should leave Black Alma out of it. She can't be trusted! Shadowfox says she even steals from her shipmates!

EozdLOG.png
Thank you, that was very informative!

This information will be helpful to stir up trouble later.

From Spinning Jenny Angela pickpockets a quest item key.

Spinning Jenny herself doesn’t have a lot of information but directs Angela to Crow.

0me8nM1.jpg

qvbTZDn.jpg

EozdLOG.png
You don't know me, but we share a certain Elf problem.

PI1pOGY.jpg
Then I wish you luck in solving it so we can cast off from here soon.

EozdLOG.png
Maybe you can help me with a few details.

PI1pOGY.jpg
Maybe I could, if I knew anything. Go ask Crow. She's true to her name - always crowing the latest news all over Ethra.

From a pirate called Shadowfox Angela pickpockets a quest item dagger.

tAdhkt4.jpg

wrEVZAg.jpg

EozdLOG.png
What are you doing in this godsforsaken place?

JFoqf5M.jpg
We're sinking inch by inch into the swamp, what else? What's with the stupid question?

EozdLOG.png
I was just asking…

JFoqf5M.jpg
To be precise, we're waiting here until the captain has finally decided what to do next. But I think if Efferd doesn't send him a plan, we'll set sail again soon.

EozdLOG.png
That would be less dangerous than walking into a hail of Elf arrows.

Elsewhere is Needlewhetter with some useful information.

fWnPxZL.jpg

rjY6Vlj.jpg

EozdLOG.png
[Seduce] Because women like to be entertained.

3BcQAkN.png
[Success] Oh, really? Alright then...

EozdLOG.png
I’m all ears.

3BcQAkN.png
You see the boy over there? Haha, he's had it up to here. If Crow picks on him again, things'll get interesting... hoho!

3BcQAkN.png
I'm already taking bets on who slaps the boy first the next time he talks back to them. Hoho! Grinning Hank already has that tick at the corner of his mouth... hahaha!

EozdLOG.png
Haha. Ha. Funny! But I really must go now.

The gossip Crow likes shooting her mouth off but we can’t talk to her for long for Hookensang will interrupt her again and again.

EHvZqs6.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Let’s chat about something…

MVq2rki.png
Yes, lets spin a few sailors' yarns...

EozdLOG.png
The cabin boy over there keeps giving you dirty looks...

MVq2rki.png
Ach, I gave him a good walloping and now he's sitting there and scowling at me. But if you don't stick up for yourself, you stay the cabin boy. That's the way of the world.

AopFG8S.png
Crow, what's that I hear? Stop talking about internal matters right now, do I need to make myself any clearer?

EozdLOG.png
What about the first mate, Bravethorn?

MVq2rki.png
Him? He's the exact opposite of the captain. Thinking and long-term planning aren't exactly his strong points, but he's good in a fight! Then again, he hasn't gotten us out of this mess either.

AopFG8S.png
Crow, what's that I hear? Stop talking about internal matters right now, do I need to make myself any clearer?

In any case, Angela learnt some useful information from Crow. Now to talk to Grinning Hank.

t0AJ2ZR.jpg

EozdLOG.png
You can wipe that leer off your face.

rjDIjit.png
Hehehe ... no nonsense with you, eh? I bet you're like that with all the boys, aren't you?

EozdLOG.png
I have a question of my own! You want to take out the Elves, right?

rjDIjit.png
We're just waiting for now until Hookensang or some other smartass comes up with some ideas, you know?

EozdLOG.png
Spirits must be really high in your camp.

rjDIjit.png
Do you take me for a fool? You must think you're blessed by Hesinde. Like this lout here, you know?

EozdLOG.png
Not at all. You mean the cabin boy? I thought he was your special friend.

rjDIjit.png
What friend? No, the lad thinks he's Rohal himself, but he's nothing, you know?

Note: Rohal is Borbarad’s brother.

EozdLOG.png
Aren’t you overdoing it a bit?

rjDIjit.png
Listen, he thinks he's too good to scrub the decks and all that, you know?

EozdLOG.png
Have you tried to convince him with violence?

rjDIjit.png
There's a problem, you know? Heheh, Hookensang wouldn't like it, you know?

EozdLOG.png
He's busy thinking up clever ideas. He won't notice.

rjDIjit.png
Hehe. Then the boy's out of luck, you know? If he has a name, he won't remember it soon, you know?

It’s a bit mean, but tricking Hank into slapping the boy is the first step towards discord. Obv. the boy will be out for payback after getting slapped.

vZLyL8z.jpg

HmfYdim.jpg

Uzc2B5R.jpg

EozdLOG.png
That looked pretty bad. Does that happen a lot?

1VCsUSc.png
That's the third time this month. And I get the smallest share of the loot. It's all soooo unfair!

EozdLOG.png
The others aren't very nice to you, are they?

1VCsUSc.png
They all think just because I'm young that I'm stupid too. That stupid Grinning Hank always gives me the worst work to do and Crow is always really mean to me.

EozdLOG.png
You shouldn't put up with it. How about a funny prank?

1VCsUSc.png
But…

EozdLOG.png
[Fast Talk] No buts! You must stay decisive!

1VCsUSc.png
[Success] They'll treat me like a man if I'm decisive.

EozdLOG.png
Get your own back on Crow! She'll be more careful how she treats you in the future.

1VCsUSc.png
Yes, she's got such a dirty mouth! ... I know! I'll put dirt in her food, hehehe.

The boy’s prank on Crow will further lower the mood.

And then there’s still Shadow Fox’s dagger… combined with the rumour that Black Alma is a thief.

uvKD2Bt.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Sorry, I just wanted to show you this dagger...

TW28VfE.png
Oh, very nice! The way it fits in the hand and these fine decorations. Shadowfox is always boasting about his amazing Tulamid dagger. I could probably outdo him with this one, hehehe.

EozdLOG.png
[Haggle] Quite so! And for a mere two ducats, this unique masterpiece could be yours.

TW28VfE.png
[Success] You want to sell it!? Hmm... two ducats isn't cheap. But worth it to outdo Shadowfox, heehee. Alright, I'll take it.

EozdLOG.png
Thank you. Shadowfox will be green with envy.

Setting up Black Alma with Shadowfox’s dagger should cause quite an uproar.

Talking to Black Alma some more we can coax some useful information from here that gossip Crow ill be interested in…

ApDZcmr.jpg

TW28VfE.png
The only things that like it here are mire beasts and tadpoles.

EozdLOG.png
Maybe. One more thing…

TW28VfE.png
What?

EozdLOG.png
Well, the other crew members were talking about you...

TW28VfE.png
Oh really! There's nothing to say about me, nothing at all...

EozdLOG.png
[Fast Talk] But this nothing is making your crewmates suspicious of you.

TW28VfE.png
[Success] Yes, I've noticed that. But what can I do? Telling everybody would just make everything worse.

EozdLOG.png
Trust me and whisper it in my ear.

TW28VfE.png
Oh, but you can't help me either. I need a healer.

EozdLOG.png
A healer? Are you sick? The way you keep your distance from the others... It's not just some harmless disease, is it?

TW28VfE.png
If only I knew! But I'm worried it might be contagious! That's why I keep my distance and don't talk with the others. If they knew, they'd leave me in this swamp!

EozdLOG.png
I will be as silent as the grave.

Relaying the information about Black Alma to Crow should cause further upset.

N09pFTp.jpg

MVq2rki.png
Really? And what would that be? I love gossip!

EozdLOG.png
Black Alma just confided in me.

MVq2rki.png
I don't believe it! I've been trying to get something out of her for days. Please, I'll die if you don't tell me everything!

EozdLOG.png
Then I'll tell you. She has a rather contagious health problem.

MVq2rki.png
What? Then I think I can guess what it is. Haha, I like that!

EozdLOG.png
It's nice that your crewmate's misfortune makes you so happy.

Finally, Angela just needs to rile Bravethorn up a bit.

1tr6iAD.jpg

nh7JAok.png
You again? What do you want?

EozdLOG.png
The Elves can sense the faintheartedness of your captain. They will only yield if you show strength.

nh7JAok.png
Ha! Those pointy-ears and their hocus pocus don't scare me! But our fancy captain is scared for his life.

EozdLOG.png
[Seduce] I think the captain should be the bravest person in his crew. But it seems you are.

nh7JAok.png
[Success] Ha! That's right. I was a bare-knuckle champion, you know?

EozdLOG.png
[Fast Talk] Let's be honest. You won't help any of us if you don't act. It's time you took control!

nh7JAok.png
[Success] No risk, no loot, that's what I always say. It's worth a try!

EozdLOG.png
It's obvious you should be the captain, not that weakling!

nh7JAok.png
By Phex, you’re right! Fortune favors those who act!

EozdLOG.png
As the new captain, you'll lead us to victory. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks thatl

EozdLOG.png
Well, most of the crew is dissatisfied. What are you waiting for?

nh7JAok.png
You mean the crew is ready to move against the tree-hoppers with me?

EozdLOG.png
Nearly. You need to prepare the ground for your takeover.

nh7JAok.png
What do you mean?

EozdLOG.png
A decent drop of booze should help the last few doubters forget their scruples.

nh7JAok.png
Yes, that's good! ... Wait! No, that's not good...

EozdLOG.png
Why not?

nh7JAok.png
Hookensang has the good stuff locked away and he gave Spinning Jenny the key. She won't give it up.

Of course, Angela has already pickpocketed this key.

EozdLOG.png
The key to your success. Here it is!

nh7JAok.png
Thank Phex! I could use a smart lass like you when I'm captain. You helped me out, now let me help you.

EozdLOG.png
Pff, I already have a ship at my disposal.

0wxvf4S.jpg

The booze will set off the already disgruntled pirates against each other completely. Hookensang gets pissed and orders to leave.

9bICfwZ.jpg

KYkXqtA.jpg

gBN6BwE.jpg

VVrDzo5.jpg

F3iqYty.jpg

1VSZD8Q.jpg

9TIJvMB.jpg

ZFtUms9.jpg

2PxRHhT.jpg

VM2VLZr.jpg

XcemGgR.png
Fun? I nearly died of boredom while you gossiped with those... let's face it... bored pirates. I'd rather have let my ax do the talking!

YPloVOT.png
You should practice a little patience, Forgrimm. It always pays off.

OKlt61R.png
Forget it, it’s pointless. You might as well talk to a rock.

IAter dealing with the pirates Angela has gained a good bit of leveling points. At this point it is a good idea to start raising attributed.

With 12 CN/ST Angela will be learn Endurance I/Armor Use I.

nDVgxPO.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 22: Tree huggers

It is time to see the Elves in their big tree.

sgExwFO.jpg

ipEVZbt.jpg

Isaliel marks the location of the pirate hideout on the world map.

9e2Q0Di.jpg

EPNs4zy.jpg

wEVchuK.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I didn't need to do very much at all. They were already as united as the Northmarchers, if you know what I mean.

JJuF8W2.png
I understand! The lack of unity among Humans is a constant puzzle... nevertheless, I thank you.

EozdLOG.png
How is Ardo? Have you managed to find out what is wrong with him?

JJuF8W2.png
Your friend is under the influence of what we call zertaubra. Destructive magic, impelled by the power of the mind. We too, are suffering from such magic, although the source is different.

EozdLOG.png
Have you been able to combat it?

JJuF8W2.png
Our fates are intertwined. Two streams converge to become a mighty river. If you bring Ardo to us, you will learn everything else from Alari.

EozdLOG.png
To help Ardo, I must ask you something else: Do you know where the pirates came from?

JJuF8W2.png
My eyes see far. Open your mind and I will show you the way.

EozdLOG.png
Ohh... a thousand times thank you! I will take Ardo to Alari.

Alari is another level up on the tree.

F5mgo5A.jpg

LuYHscR.jpg

4u7pCoP.png
His spirit is trapped by a powerful magic that prevents him from waking and constantly saps his vitality. Like us, he is unable to recover his strength through sleep.

EozdLOG.png
Isaliel spoke of evil magic that is weakening you. Is there nothing more you can do about it?

4u7pCoP.png
Disturbing dreams are draining our mandra. We can no longer sing our magic songs to soothe the pain. Where songs and laughter once filled the air, desolation and torpor now reign.

EozdLOG.png
Do you know where these nightmares come from?

4u7pCoP.png
They come from the fallen stones northwest of here. The thing that resides there is not of this world. We have guarded this place for centuries.

4u7pCoP.png
But now the guards are torn from life and the magical barrier that protects us from fear and weakness is breached. But that also means that you can now go there to help Ardo.

EozdLOG.png
How can I help him by going to some ruins?

4u7pCoP.png
The zertaubra is strong in that place and even older than Isaliel. But I also hear other music there. Next to a fury that can never be tamed, I also sense a powerful source of healing.

EozdLOG.png
I will find the remedy and try to end your agony.

It seems the next main task is some dungeon crawling.

tDCKjz1.jpg

Alari Springborn also sells some useful items, including another piece of Storm Sentinel set.

kf6Uefu.jpg

While the Silvan gloves will help Fayris a lot with her spellcasting.

IESBUCI.jpg

Angela buys here also new pants.

4NYQzNt.jpg

By the way, Alari also sells some new spells.

lEgE60W.jpg

Elfenword Silken Speech is an interesting Elf-only spell but only really useful for an Elven main character.

WC0WM9r.jpg

Calm Body, Calm Spirit is interesting to cast during combat to regenerate since it will immediately make enemies disengage.

uXvfo76.jpg

Meek you be is a useful spell when up against packs of animals that no longer give experience upon killing them.

NEnNODt.jpg

Somnigravis is the best spell for crowd control after Paralysis.

From the Elves around the tree one can learn a lot about Elven history and culture. Dark Eye Elves are p. similar to Silmarillion Elves.

NrQJaPL.jpg

UmztnMC.jpg

jvCSIYQ.jpg

This Elf is trapped in a nightmare about Borbarad. He had a demon crown with seven bone blades.

EozdLOG.png
Wake up! It’s just a dream!

jtDwoA4.png
[She awakes] Oh... when will this horror end? It feeds on my energy. There is nothing I can do.

EozdLOG.png
I will do something.

Ilcoron Sparkweaver has some information about Elven craftsmanship.

LauxCE7.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I'm interested in how you make things.

gDDDMm3.png
I would be pleased to tell you about my work.

EozdLOG.png
How is your craft different to that of other peoples?

gDDDMm3.png
We Elves love all things that are naturally beautiful. This is why we only make beautiful things. Nothing merely fulfils a purpose, everything must be in harmony with its environment.

gDDDMm3.png
When I make a spear to catch fish, I make it so that it reflects the song of the river. Then the waters will welcome me as I stand on the riverbank as still as an oak, waiting for the fish.

EozdLOG.png
I heard you singing. Are you making an instrument?

gDDDMm3.png
No, I always sing while I work my craft. Everything around us has a song, and I find my work easier when my hands follow the music.

gDDDMm3.png
I enjoy making instruments. You will have already noticed that music is an important part of our life. We often play together, it is like exchanging thoughts.

Past these two Elves is the gateway to the upper level of the tree, but it is not yet accessible.

GysRkBa.jpg

Back on Isaliel’s level is Linwen Owlwing, a trainer who also sells some p. good stuff.

ruX6SIO.jpg

Fayris finally learns here Marksman skill.

lAWJ2Ka.jpg

Forgrimm might as well learn it too.

P5l67ad.jpg

Linwen also sells the Elf-only spell Ice Cold Warrior, an interesting spell to cast during combat.

BBdllA1.jpg

We buy here the ranger’s tunic for Fayris, fitting Elven boots for Angela and puff boots for Cano.

QCKqfHw.jpg

bJQJbHb.jpg

MI6mCvb.jpg

Linwen also sells a recipe for the best arrows in the game, but it’s rather complex to craft.

OWRaHoc.jpg

There are some other Elves to chat with too.

uN9pSWf.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I would like to ask you something.

mAFCSNL.jpg
I would be pleased to tell you anything that can improve understanding between you and our tribe.

EozdLOG.png
How do you deal with the death of your tribal brethren?

mAFCSNL.jpg
We only mourn the lost fey if the death is caused by violence before it is their time. If the Elf led a fulfilled life, then death has no horror for him and his relatives.

mAFCSNL.jpg
Some of us believe that we return to our origin in the world of light. Others think that they are reborn in a new Elven body or in the form of a soul creature.

EozdLOG.png
Does Isaliel enforce law and order here?

mAFCSNL.jpg
No. Humans rule and are ruled. They are so restricted by their rules that they forget to experience the world and its creatures with their own senses.

mAFCSNL.jpg
In our shared ritual, the salasandra, we learn eo. This means that we feel whether our actions harm another. Those who deliberately violate eo must leave the tribe.

EozdLOG.png
You often seem lost in a dream. Why?

mAFCSNL.jpg
Dreams are often more meaningful than reality. They tell you something about your own being. Reality, on the other hand, can distract you from yourself.

mAFCSNL.jpg
We sing of Mandaya, the first and last of the Light Elves. She sacrificed herself by renouncing her reality. Now she dreams eternally so we can find our way back to the light.

EozdLOG.png
Thank you for your explanation.

Next to Shanaha stands Elbrenell Mistcaller.

nxoJVUz.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Will you tell me something about Isaliel?

TqYkvY3.png
You would have to spend a hundred years with her to understand her! She is not as hard-hearted as she appears. Everything she does is in order to protect us.

TqYkvY3.png
What you know only from the tales of your ancestors, she experienced herself hundreds of years ago. The Demon battle between the varra dioy, who called himself Borbarad and his brother Rohal. Then the Mage Wars...

Note: this battle between Borbarad and Rohal happened in the Gorian desert – see the adventure game Memoria by Daedalic Entertainment.

The Mage Wars is an interesting chapter in Middenrealm history; they were about the succession to demigod Rohal the Wise who laid down his rule over Middenrealm after 123 years. Before Rohal the Praios Church ruled over Middenrealm for about 200 years after the old House of Gareth died out.

EozdLOG.png
She has obviously had many negative experiences with Human magic.

TqYkvY3.png
But instead of fleeing from these horrors, she tries to spare others the suffering that she has experienced. Her magic was powerful enough to contain the zertaubra in the ruins and prevent it from harming us.

EozdLOG.png
Why is Linwen always telling me to listen?

TqYkvY3.png
It is his way. He wishes to impart his knowledge to others, be they Elf, Human or Dwarf. He sings the legends to conserve the knowledge.

TqYkvY3.png
He always says that 'to be a good teacher, you must be a good pupil.' This is why he observes very carefully that which he is shown in order to be able to emulate it himself. He can teach you much.

EozdLOG.png
Why are you always looking up?

TqYkvY3.png
We watch the cloud pictures, as they tell us what to expect. The song of the animals and the way the wind blows through the grass tells us much about the wellbeing of this place.

EozdLOG.png
Some people would call that superstition.

TqYkvY3.png
You mean Humans who prefer to kneel before beings who do not even live in this world? Hahaha! Some Elves also believe that Dwarves create wood underground so that they can burn it one day.

Elsewhere is a dude who can tell us about soul creatures.

KWBPu0Z.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Can you explain the inner animal beings of the Elves?

QYkyLjY.png
You must mean the soul creatures. What exactly don't you understand?

Note: like Malazan Soletaken, Elves can transform into the soul creatures.

EozdLOG.png
How do you know what your soul creature is?

QYkyLjY.png
The day comes when we find it and it finds us. Just as we find our task in life, so we also find our true disposition through our soul creature.

QYkyLjY.png
Each tribe member has their task within the tribe, just as every creature has its place within nature, contributing to iamanda, the Song of Everything.

EozdLOG.png
Do the Elves of your tribe all have soul creatures of similar species?

QYkyLjY.png
Nearly all Storm Sentinels have birds as soul creatures. One Elf left the tribe because she felt drawn to the wildcat. There is one other sad exception...

EozdLOG.png
Why is it sad?

QYkyLjY.png
His soul is forever bound to that of an Elf here. He will never leave her or this tree. But he will never be able to play in the wind with her, high over the Great River as it sparkles in the sun.

There is also someone around who may be familiar to these who played the first Drakensang.

t1H9A3f.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I just exploited their anger and their inner discontent.

JxJZPAN.png
Yes, Humans are so. But not everybody understands how to use those weaknesses.

JxJZPAN.png
Your deeds tell me that you have a long and enlightened path ahead of you. Can I be of help to you in some way?

EozdLOG.png
I heard there's a Water Dragon somewhere along the river...

JxJZPAN.png
Yes, I also heard such rumors during my travels. A malicious creature that damages the balance of the river with its greed. But I do not know exactly where it lurks.

EozdLOG.png
You mentioned the High Elves. Who were they?

JxJZPAN.png
Many generations ago, the High Elves were the most powerful people of Aventuria. Pyrdacor, the Golden Ancient Dragon appeared to us and gave us power over the elements.

JxJZPAN.png
Like the Lizards, we started to worship Pyrdacor. The corrupt Elf Pardona seduced many of our people. We recognized the error of our ways too late, when the Gods unleashed a dragon war and our cities fell to the Nameless One.

Note: Gwendala is talking about an era 30,000 years before Bosparan’s Fall. Pardona, btw, is still alive in current state of Dark Eye setting (1040 BF).

JxJZPAN.png
Recent events cause us to remember our folly once more. Brave adventurers found the old Elf king Fenvarien in the ruins of Tie'Shianna. After three times a thousand years, he was released from the dungeons of the God-who-destroys-existence.

Note: this is a reference to a P&P campaign.

EozdLOG.png
So what do you seek? Maybe I can help.

JxJZPAN.png
I am sorry, but I am not allowed to speak of it. I can only say that it involves a High Elven artifact.

EozdLOG.png
[Fast Talk] But if I happen to find it, I won't recognize it and I won't be able to give it to you.

JxJZPAN.png
[Success] In which case my quest would be fruitless! Very well: I am searching for a High Elven weapon. My tribe wants to keep it safe in order to protect other Elves from its harmful effects.

EozdLOG.png
I’ll keep my eyes open.

In a basket near the bowyer are three new recipes we can pick up for free.

m9UCgkA.jpg

vEkkaTr.jpg

The bowyer himself is an annoying autist.

ZCEqSFW.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Your brethren speak with me.

DpLXN4Q.jpg
What is it then?

EozdLOG.png
Can you tell me about this tree?

DpLXN4Q.jpg
Yes.

EozdLOG.png
It didn't just happen to grow like this, did it?

DpLXN4Q.jpg
No.

EozdLOG.png
[Say nothing and wait]

DpLXN4Q.jpg
I am responsible for forming it. I must also find an Elf to whom I can pass on this knowledge... that is all there is to say.

EozdLOG.png
What if you die before you have a successor?

DpLXN4Q.jpg
That will not happen. We Elves do not die before we have achieved our life's purpose. Unless... [he shudders] ... I don't want to think about that! Go away!

After all this talking it is time to move to the ruins Alari talked about. Gateway to the ruins is past Alari’s chamber.

rRjUhQd.jpg

On the way to the ruins is an old corpse carrying a book with some background information.

OUgGUfH.jpg

7rhFvNX.jpg

jEzWXAZ.jpg

sfbaSUC.jpg

To the north of the corpse is an ogre lair; there’s another piece of the Storm Sentinel set here for Fayris.

uRBT6cT.jpg

v2m96KD.jpg

0jWYPaU.jpg

93yngYk.jpg

54PTLzt.jpg

The ogre dropped his club too, but it’s not really practical for anyone but ogres to use.

iQlQLcN.jpg

In front of the stairs to the ruins the group comes across the two corpses of the Elf guards; apparently Elves don’t bury their dead.

bj59aUH.jpg

L02x1wr.jpg

There are some beetles guarding the stairs; Angela reaches level 7 here.

tXEf40A.jpg

The direct route to the ruins entrance is blocked; going around there’s another yuge head with something buried underneath the chin.

FwVfyaM.jpg

1ZjUDgz.jpg

40UQU5W.jpg

3W05GGZ.jpg

At the entrance, Archon Megalon is waiting.

9mm0MB8.jpg

fuHOL2e.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I'm not here for some experiment, I'm here to find a remedy for my friend.

pe6Xgj6.png
Two things that are not necessarily mutually exclusive if you consider the horrors you must face in order to achieve your goal.

EozdLOG.png
What horror do you speak of?

pe6Xgj6.png
A demon. Summoned by the ancient Bosparanians, bound by their power, animated by their knowledge... and controlled by their logic.

EozdLOG.png
[Arcane Lore] A demon summoned and bound so long ago? I very much doubt that the magical bonds are still in place.

pe6Xgj6.png
You clearly already have some superficial knowledge of the subject. In that case, you will soon learn that many years ago, great minds dared to carry out experiments beyond your imagination.

pe6Xgj6.png
Does that thought alarm you?

EozdLOG.png
Not in the slightest.

pe6Xgj6.png
Denial of fear... a widespread phenomenon among those experiencing weakness and wishing to appear strong. You can prove your claim in my experiment.

pe6Xgj6.png
You will descend to the depths and face your fear. Look for the seal stones that manipulate the manifestation of the demon in the third sphere.

EozdLOG.png
[Human Nature] You are trying to manipulate me. What do you want?

pe6Xgj6.png
The intelligent test subject recognizes that it is not the focus of the experiment and that value is placed only on the result. Let's proceed to the intended objective of the experiment...

EozdLOG.png
Why do you want the seal stones?

pe6Xgj6.png
I am conducting a series of experiments. I am currently dealing with the competing relationship between fear and greed, taking into account mental deconstruction due to irrational influences.

pe6Xgj6.png
For each seal stone you bring me, I will reward you with an appropriate number of ducats or other items that may be of value to you. But remember, your life may depend on how you expend the seals.

pe6Xgj6.png
You can use the seals to reduce the demon's powers. But once you have used a seal, you cannot recover it. It is your decision.

EozdLOG.png
One shouldn't count one's chickens before they're hatched.

Angela pickpockets a book off Megalon. The man is totally obsessed by the concept of fear.

uLeU1uM.jpg

KbfshWv.jpg

9NQAQED.jpg

drexciya

Augur
Interesting, I hadn't thought of pickpocketing Archon. The demon, mentioned by Archon, can be defeated, even when not using any seal, but that's very time consuming and requires lots of arrows and potions.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 23: Evil Womyn

Once inside the ruins, however, turns out there are already some other visitors.

NE2XnRR.jpg

It seems somehow Megalon tricked some man-hating sloots into becoming his test subjects.

OQybN9q.jpg

xA0rWwl.jpg

5Od1DrR.jpg

NilAjr1.jpg

Some background info on Dark Amazons: the main Amazon fortress in Aventuria is Kurkum located in the East of Middenrealm. Between 998 and 1003 BF the mage Xeraan (who later would become a Heptarch) entered Kurkum and seduced a lot of Amazons into worship of a ‘Dark Goddess’.

These Dark Amazons were driven from Kurkum eventually. Later after Borbarad’s return they joined the Borbarad hordes and became worshipers of the Archdemon Belhalhar. Kurkum was sacked and only reconquered by the true Amazons in 1038 BF.

Looking through the game files I found the following lore piece on Amazons:

The Amazons of Rondra have always sought to shroud themselves in mystery. These magnificent warriors rarely step into the limelight, but whenever they march in to battle, their allies greet them with respect and friendship.

The very presence on the battlefield of this compact, yet highly organized army is often enough to turn the tide of battle – as happened at the famous Ogre Battle: The fearless courage of the Amazon army revived the flagging spirits of the armies of light and gave them the strength to repel the Ogre hordes, inspired by the bravery and determination of Rondra’s thunderous daughters.

The origins of the Amazonian Sisterhood of the Swords are shrouded in mystery ...

The rise of the Amazons

Far back in the dark ages, the Priest-Kings yearned to banish all those who followed the mighty Rondra and sought to to permit the worship of but one god: Praios. But their plan met with fearsome resistance, both open and covert. Among the many secret societies formed at this time was a company of warriors from the Kingdom of Almada, led by a Tulamidian warrioress named Ayla al'Yeshinna and Baron Izlavo Cloudstone of Brig-Lo. Two of Baron Izlavo’s brothers also joined the twenty-strong group, which was otherwise comprised of women.

The two leaders, Ayla and Izlavo, argued often. Following one of their more vicious quarrels, the majority of the warriors sided with Ayla. Enraged, Baron Izlavo and his brothers sought to betray the secret society to the Deonts of Praios in Punin, but Ayla confronted and slew them before they could reach the Deonts in the year 551 before Hal (approx. 443 BF). Driven closer together by their betrayal, the surviving women formed a closely-knit group and swore never to tolerate a man in their midst.

From that day onward, Ayla al'Yeshinna led the Sisterhood, forging them into a disciplined company of warriors. The fame of the Sisterhood grew with each daring deed: In Punin a red rooster appeared overnight on the rooftop of the Temple of Praios; on another occasion a Grand Inquisitor disappeared along with his entourage and coach in the raging torrents of the Yaquir River.

The Goddess of War shielded the Sisters from harm and steel their resolve in battle, and they thanked their patron by adopting a strict code of honor, which forbids them from attacking their foes from an ambush. Today the Amazons are famed for their discipline, steadfastness, and keen sense of honor. The very idea of stabbing an opponent in the back is frowned upon by the proud Amazons, who idolize open battle.

Seems this was supposed to be included in a book that never made it into the game.

F8nOUKV.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I'm guessing you've already done that. Did the man in black robes tell you to kill the Elf guards?

CbQCzYz.png
How do you know that? Just a moment! Do you seek the Dark Goddess too... and dream of a dreadful skull?

CbQCzYz.png
Don't be stupid, Nivin, and hold your tongue in front of strangers. Come, let our swords speak for us!

There’s no reasoning with them and they must be killed. Even though they are Amazons, they are not especially difficult to deal with.

gljzMef.jpg

4B0ufNY.jpg

Each group of Dark Amazons killed drops a piece of Kurkumian armour, if the main character were an Amazon this would be THE armour to have.

HDLl5Lc.jpg

FH63aXq.jpg

The Dark Amazons were talking about solving a puzzle to open the gate – three more stones are needed in order to solve it.

A bookstand next to the gate reveals a clue about the order of stones.

pLNJdLj.jpg

Inside the ruins, past traps and skeletons, Forgrimm’s Dwarfnose skill shows a hidden room.

DhDms34.jpg

LJHXnel.jpg

A unique sword is obtained.

80a3Fw8.jpg

7uXadTj.jpg

IBv4Vhj.jpg

In another chest Angela finds a mysterious recipe… triggering another sidequest.

u8TwaOB.jpg

fZw16WU.jpg

IkM6lrm.jpg

At the other side of the hidden room, there’s a puzzle room where another group of Dark Amazons already obtained another turnkey for the main gate. We take the turnkey off their corpses.

nkzOo53.jpg

HIEPAIR.jpg

CzLTtJv.jpg

The leader of this group drops an Amazon saber; something else an Amazon main character would want to have.

XNOEJt2.jpg

Heading towards another part of the ruins, there are two more ambushes by Dark Amazon groups.

sQK2Z6m.jpg

XUOEbjQ.jpg

Strangely, there’s a Dark Amazon around who is not aggressive and can be interacted with.

M7jpzpX.jpg

B3ZTH2b.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Your sisters didn't talk, they just attacked straight away.

QFFIL9j.jpg
They do not speak with those who serve the Gods. Give me a reason not to call my sisters to slay you!

EozdLOG.png
How can you serve a Goddess with a skull for a face?

QFFIL9j.jpg
Skull?

EozdLOG.png
One of your sisters has already seen the face of your Goddess in her nightmares.

QFFIL9j.jpg
Nightmares? I... I don't know what you're talking about. The Goddess is both mother and savior to us.

EozdLOG.png
You have nightmares, don’t you?

QFFIL9j.jpg
I... yes. Her face was dreadful...

EozdLOG.png
Then turn back! Perhaps your soul can still be saved!

QFFIL9j.jpg
Do you mean the Goddess will take me back?

EozdLOG.png
Rondra embodies battle. If you fight, you earn respect.

QFFIL9j.jpg
Then... then maybe there is a way.

EozdLOG.png
A Priestess of Rondra met her death within these walls. Her soul still wanders here. My sisters have tried to banish it. But they cannot approach the holy aura of her soul.

QFFIL9j.jpg
If you help her to find Rondra, maybe she would absolve my soul. Would you do that?

EozdLOG.png
Of course! Anything for the Gods.

Upstairs past Larys Angela finds this priestess’ whereabouts.

EjWxxea.jpg

PchIHGM.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Ah, a priestess of Rondra. Who are you?

U3iE70m.png
In life, I was Leondril Liontongue of Thunderbrook. I served Lady Rondra. And who are you?

EozdLOG.png
My name is Angela Merkel. Have you met someone named Thargazz?

U3iE70m.png
I have certainly met him - he is my murderer. A Dark Covenanter who serves Boron's dark adversary. Did he lure you down here?

EozdLOG.png
No, I have never met him.

U3iE70m.png
Thargazz is a follower of the dark Borbarad, whom he served faithfully during the Mage Wars. He is extremely powerful and unscrupulous.

EozdLOG.png
Borbarad? Is that not the enemy of Rohal the Wise? And weren't the Mage Wars over five hundred years ago?

Note: Rohal the Wise

9FnehXk.jpg

U3iE70m.png
Five hundred years? Can it really be so long? By Rondra! Is the Dark Covenanter really still alive? If he is dead, nobody will be able to free my soul!

EozdLOG.png
He bound your soul here?

U3iE70m.png
My soul is trapped here, damned to an eternity wandering this unholy place.

EozdLOG.png
How terrible! Can your soul be freed?

U3iE70m.png
He took my bones, my holy sword and my Rondra amulet and buried them so they would never be found again.

Well, it seems at this point we already have three of those four items.

EozdLOG.png
Did he say where he buried them?

U3iE70m.png
No, he wasn't that stupid, unfortunately. He just laughed scornfully and said they were buried in four different places.

EozdLOG.png
So I must find your bones. Will that release you?

U3iE70m.png
Almost. If you find my bones, the sword and the amulet and place them in this sarcophagus next to me in Rondra's name, then my soul will be free to find Boron's Halls. Dare you help me?

EozdLOG.png
I shall do it.

U3iE70m.png
I thank you in the name of the Goddess! But you should not delay any further. Something has been pulling at my soul ever since I have been here. I cannot fight it much longer.

EozdLOG.png
Something wishes to consume your soul?

U3iE70m.png
The call of the Dark Goddess is strong. I feel it in every fiber of my immortal soul. She wants to drag me down to the Lower Hells. But I still resist!

EozdLOG.png
Call? What call?

U3iE70m.png
Something dwells within these walls. It must be a manifestation of an arch-demoness. It calls for my soul. I fight it, but I don't have much more strength. Soon it will consume me.

EozdLOG.png
How soon?

U3iE70m.png
I will hold out for as long as I can. But my strength will fail me eventually.

EozdLOG.png
What can we do about it?

U3iE70m.png
A manifestation of an arch-demoness must dwell somewhere within these vaults. That is the center of her power. Destroy it and the unholy call will fall silent. But be careful... she will guard it well.

EozdLOG.png
I think I know what to do.

Further on is another puzzle room.

UxrNZ0g.jpg

The puzzle here is to find the right balance with iron and lead weights.

nfBreMZ.jpg

QypTlrZ.jpg

YSsJcDn.jpg

hNr1dzO.jpg

If Angela takes too long here, Archon Megalan actually appears and suggest to solve the puzzle for her… but it is not hard.

Solving the puzzle makes a chest appear containing another turnstone.

M8qmjCh.jpg

Vyn7knk.jpg

Deeper in the ruins past some skeletons Angela finds another chest with a part of the recipe.

8VdBqyJ.jpg

tVdV4oF.jpg

GT050SI.jpg

A bit further an enemy appears that Blackguards players may be very intimate with – the crypt lice. Their eyes can actually be sold to the Nadoret cook for profit.

MhmnA17.jpg

4QpaxhR.jpg

U06FImM.jpg

Further past the crypt lice is another puzzle area – and the final head where the priestess’ Rondracomb is buried.

CiZMc0C.jpg

6bcXhxz.jpg

The Rondracomb is actually not a bad weapon either.

rdIIxSL.jpg

Upstairs the puzzle area past more beetles is another chest with a recipe part.

cxFNNp9.jpg

Y2m8IvZ.jpg

PDm5is3.jpg

The puzzle to get the keystone is all about symmetry, safely leading the skeleton to its goal.

1ieaJzK.jpg

Zevv5We.jpg

OTYLOcR.jpg

SPk0DFt.jpg

Solving the puzzle another chest spawns with the final turnkey.

db8QtHU.jpg

MtvLDFV.jpg

Returning to the entrance, the Dark Amazon Leader will show up.

5PYtJPK.jpg

zFHhI9V.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Dark Goddess? I am here for another reason.

97ZnUci.jpg
Do not waste our time! Or do you wish to feel my anger? Explain yourself!

EozdLOG.png
A man I met at the ruins made me take part in his experiment.

97ZnUci.jpg
You can trust a man no more than you can trust a snake. And I trust you even less. Sisters, attack!

I suppose it’s understandable they’re butthurt about Megalon having tricked them.

In any case it’s amusing using Better Offer on the Dark Amazon leader.

bjsqFKx.jpg

fa2qdct.jpg

VTRRITK.jpg

The Dark Amazon leader drops the last pieces of Kurkum armour (though I missed the helmet somewhere) and a shield that Forgrimm at least can use.

hl6YMrX.jpg

gsK5JfJ.jpg

Solving the entrance gate puzzle is easy – but Angela still needs to save the priestess’ soul.

MxGUj24.jpg

R4mB71V.jpg

As soon as Angela steps foot in the priestess’ chamber, Larys arrives and reveals the terrible truth.

XGUM0SY.jpg

VwEys73.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I did. They lay beneath the stone heads.

QFFIL9j.jpg
Then the time has come to tell you the truth.

QFFIL9j.jpg
I tricked you! I was just using you to get to the priestesses' bones. Thanks to you we can sacrifice her soul to the Dark Goddess!

Well, not really very surprising.

EozdLOG.png
By the Lower Hells! Die, traitor!

QFFIL9j.jpg
Sisters! Kill her!

This is the very last group of Dark Amazons to kill; again, it is amusing to use Better Offer on the traitor Larys.

Tp3sigi.jpg

iLFAbef.jpg

0q50iH2.jpg

Larys wielded the saber of the Lioness which is the best weapon for an Amazon main character to have; now, we’ll just sell it.

aYfHDrp.jpg

At any rate, with Larys gone the priestess’soul can be saved.

DZ4YLnJ.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Yes, I will.

U3iE70m.png
Then place my bones, the sword and the amulet here in the sarcophagus.

0SwKZDJ.jpg

wlJTKxL.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I was pleased to do so.

U3iE70m.png
Your reward shall be my holy sword and the amulet. The blade is named 'Lion Tongue'. Use it in Rondra's name and it will protect you on many a perilous path.

U3iE70m.png
The amulet will fill your heart with valor in the face of the enemy. Go with the blessing of the Goddess!

OisGHKw.jpg

Before heading deeper in the ruins it is a good idea to return to the Elven tree, sell off excess loot and get some training. Angela gained a good chunk of leveling points by now.

eJRqi3W.jpg

GDjP0f3.jpg

IZAIPDz.jpg

YXO8ogL.jpg

Also interestingly, Isaliel knows about Thargazz.

pPWUi4b.jpg

JJuF8W2.png
The name has a troubling discord. But it is not known to me. Why do you ask?

EozdLOG.png
His skeleton lay on the path to the ruins, next to a couple of old pillars.

JJuF8W2.png
There are many old pillars there.

EozdLOG.png
It is the first pair of pillars next to the river.

JJuF8W2.png
Oh yes, I know of whom you speak. That was the Human who went down to the evil thing. Centuries ago, he broke through our defenses and brought zertaubra to that place. We slew him eventually.

EozdLOG.png
How did he break through?

JJuF8W2.png
With powerful zertaubra. We had to restore the spell in salasandra afterwards.

Back at the ruins, we can now proceed to the lower parts.

aOghhAi.jpg

OwK51Z4.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom