Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Drakensang: the River of Time

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
The demon, mentioned by Archon, can be defeated, even when not using any seal, but that's very time consuming and requires lots of arrows and potions.
Depends on how combat worthy you build your characters. I did it in ~7-8 minutes. I had to recast the attributo STR spell on Forgrimm once , duration is 5min so the fight took longer than 5min but was over before the second spell ran out. The key is:
Forgrimm needs to tank and never get knocked down so he doesnt lose aggro, hence he should have a STR close to 25 which is easily possible with the +3STR ring from the arena master and a good attributo spell and/or potion. The others need to shoot fire arrows, the burning dot will cancel out the regeneration the demon has. The ranged chars should also have the marksman skill at least, because that ignores armor value and the demon has a very high armor damage reduction value. Finally if you're feeling cheesy, all the effects like that attack penalty and the mana drain are debuffs he puts on the party when the fight starts and he never renews them so you can actually get rid of them with the spell Recindere. Though it's not a big difference anyway, it took between 5-10min with getting rid of the debuffs with Recindere and without bothering to remove all debuffs from everyone (12x recindere) it also took between 5-10min (i.e. had to recast attributo once), perhaps it took 1min longer or so, but no big deal.
The reward for not using any seal is a very good item.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 24: Inner Sanctum

In the next part of the dungeon is the ‘evil presence’ the priestess mentioned. It is protected by traps and two rows of skeletons.

bUefajA.jpg

O5YWP8H.jpg

Xhv2XHx.jpg

There is also an easy to miss chest containing the cure for the mirebeast.

LeCo0dw.jpg

uR6thfe.jpg

The cure needs to be crafted on an alchemy workbench. At least Angela has all ingredients already.

wwtB4yP.jpg

The ‘evil presence’, the source of the Elves’ nightmares, turns out to be two statues of the Archdemoness Thargunitoth. Skeletons constantly spawn here until the statues are destroyed.

Y1DHoZl.jpg

zHcDSHf.jpg

2dJn2d6.jpg

U747LZb.jpg

FISYivk.jpg

Destroying the statues is only half the work; Angela still needs to find the cure for Ardo. In any case, Archon Megalon pops up again after the statues are gone.

GbfzMd3.jpg

GyEAYwI.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Did you tell the Dark Amazons they would find their Dark Goddess down here?

pe6Xgj6.png
Those supposedly fearless ladies were merely victims of their own greed and delusions. My contribution was meager.

EozdLOG.png
The deceived women warriors murdered the Elf guards in cold blood. Now they are dead too.

pe6Xgj6.png
After the failure of test group one, I shall follow your own confrontation with the demon with interest. And of course, the decision you make with the seal stones.

EozdLOG.png
You can follow me all you want, so long as you don't keep me from the remedy my friend needs.

pe6Xgj6.png
I'll even help you in the right direction. The remedy you seek was hidden by its previous owner in a rather inaccessible location.

pe6Xgj6.png
It is in the Hall of Invocation under the summoning circle. But you must activate the pentagram to get to the theriac. This, in turn, will summon the demon.

EozdLOG.png
I will vanquish the beast. Now keep me here no longer.

In the deepest part of the dungeon, Angela finds a bookstand describing the seals the Bosparanians used.

qPsWAyB.jpg

qNzygf7.jpg

CxmqcpZ.jpg

LHLMPAn.jpg

vkt75Bi.jpg

Bosparanians were experts on Demonology; in Realms of Arkania games it is actually possible to summon demons – in the Middenrealm demonology is wholly forbidden.

There’s a great hall in this part of the ruins where the main enemy appears: gargoyles. Incredibly annoying little gits that can parry p. well. They’re possible to wound, although they’re made of stone.

duslWMU.jpg

kHOsMOU.jpg

svc6pev.jpg

In a room with an emerald spider is the first seal, the Seal of Curses.

XPgC2g6.jpg

KiPxOxh.jpg

GAbprAD.jpg

Fayris and Angela reach level 8 upon retrieving the seal.

EDfQn67.jpg

There are also two bookstands around describing the effects of the seals.

8dKMYBT.jpg

JXWS3bN.jpg

Behind a trapped, locked door Angela finds another piece of that recipe.

w5DYcM4.jpg

r2i9WZq.jpg

PDJlGPq.jpg

The Seal of Presence is gained from a gargoyle in a random room.

JwwKaWA.jpg

Inside the gargoyle room is another bookstand describing the Seal of Defense.

eBAuZTN.jpg

NiAd3aE.jpg

Deeper in the dungeon, past our crypt lice friends, is the Seal of Power and a description.

4OQnA1Y.jpg

VVbSxyN.jpg

K9FMUy0.jpg

G103542.jpg

The final piece of the recipe is in an easy to miss chest in the main hall.

Ndp5HyO.jpg

imatdEO.jpg

The Seal of Presence is in another room guarded by gargoyles.

ctx9Mue.jpg

oOsWoRu.jpg

The final seal, the Seal of Magic, is in a hidden room that needs Dwarfnose to locate.

HAdT5t1.jpg

3WXYe98.jpg

Ms9tHif.jpg

BiMMIoU.jpg

With all six seals in hand it is time to head to the summoning circle and face the demon.

JIRKkkE.jpg

Near the summoning circle is a hidden treasure with some goodies, including a new helm for Forgrimm and an Amulet of Courage.

08jZoGz.jpg

f0CXHFt.jpg

NHMKApz.jpg

o85yTg3.jpg

The research notes reveal the demon is a Zant, which is a sabertooth like lesser demon of Belhalhar (interestingly, the Dark Amazons used them as mounts after Borbarad’s return). The Bosparanians and their magic though turned it much more powerful than it normally is.

7k0V2fT.jpg

At the summoning circle Forgrimm and Cano will start bragging but it is up to Angela to decide which sealstones to use.

rS6SJah.jpg

Q3l1nFT.jpg

iXDw5Ct.jpg

Angela will use Seal of the Curse, Presence and Power. Removing the demon’s regeneration, preventing him from lowering our party members’ vitality and preventing him from greatly decreasing our party members’ attack ratings.

Normally two seals would be enough as the demon’s regeneration can be countered with incendiary arrows, but at this point Fayris had around 50 left and I didn’t want to leave the dungeon to craft.

0Lk4gqT.jpg

uz8KgAC.jpg

YqmRJ86.jpg

The demon will appear after correctly aligning the pentagram.

r90Bf2L.jpg

vlOWLbA.jpg

WjBSiXq.jpg

BACrIfp.jpg

71sYjfZ.jpg

NLFzL9C.jpg

Forgrimm will do no damage here due to the demon’s defense power, but all he needs to do is distract.

All damage here comes from incendiary arrows and both Cano and Angela throwing stars.

6TB6SN1.jpg

FwdvIjL.jpg

voZkqct.jpg

Eventually, the demon will go down.

lF8FN5U.jpg

KxtcYgs.jpg

Banishing the demon has as reward the theriac, the healing item needed for Ardo.

UhgoUD7.jpg

lLVHfyc.jpg

Archon Megalon will pop up again with his ‘reward’, some ducats and an armor recipe.

iYBexfQ.jpg

UjiqrgH.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I suppose there is no need to tell you that I defeated the demon.

pe6Xgj6.png
A correct inference. But indulge me with the details. How many seal stones have you brought me?

EozdLOG.png
Three.

pe6Xgj6.png
Your greed completely overcame your fear. Interesting ...

EozdLOG.png
Exactly, now give me my reward!

pe6Xgj6.png
I'll give you a piece of old druid wisdom in gratitude for participating in my experiment: 'Stay one step ahead of time, or it will catch up to you.'

Megalon is actually useful for once, since he can teleport everyone out of the dungeon. If we had to walk back out, we’d have to face more annoying gargoyles again.

The demonic armor is p. kewl, but rather complex to craft. The loss in vitality can be compensated by a Ring of vitality.

ONYeFg0.jpg

mZiDM7n.jpg

The daemon slobber was dropped by the Zant, there’s only one of these in the game.

rz5pUxy.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 25: Revelations

The Theriak enables Alari to finally heal Ardo.

hrdyKTO.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I have the remedy. [Give the theriac to Alari]

4u7pCoP.png
Today the sun shines on us! Let all your friends gather. As is the eternal custom of the fey'e, their thoughts shall help to heal Ardo.

ZbN6ekR.jpg

Note: these Elven words spoken by Alari are bastardized in human language as Balsam Salambunde, i.e. the healing spell.

KifgVZL.jpg

ny74QGW.jpg

Qcy6rmi.jpg

V4z0KVY.jpg

FssegzA.jpg

jtRbKjA.jpg

JXEM0Ay.jpg

l9kuqGS.jpg

Reawakened and reinvigorated, a thankful Ardo will now finally spill all the beans.

t1HvSVv.jpg

5gJnZq2.jpg

Yy712JH.jpg

nyhFyOK.jpg

iZgwEhI.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I don't see the problem. There it is. Everything's alright!

XcemGgR.png
Nothing is alright, woman!

OKlt61R.png
Appearances are deceptive. It was to me that Phex whispered the truth. This crown is... a glorious fake.

EozdLOG.png
A fake! That's how you knew Mora beat you to it!

m0WQljd.png
It seems I have missed rather a lot.

XcemGgR.png
Ardo, you need to know something: That scoundrel with the magic dagger. It was he who got Mora to steal the crown... and Cano.

m0WQljd.png
She didn't act alone? If she was working for somebody else, that means...

YPloVOT.png
So Mora was influenced by somebody unhappy with the regency of Emperor Hal and who wishes to sow discontent. We must think of the consequences. They are...

I suppose Angela is a patriot? Well, at least civic unrest is not good for one of the Phex trade.

29JSbFL.jpg

m0WQljd.png
Now you know what's at stake... will you join us in our quest?

EozdLOG.png
You can count on my help, my friends.

m0WQljd.png
Your answer does you honor. I was right about you.

OKlt61R.png
Excellent, then let us find Mora! ... and the crown, of course. Now we know where the pirates are hiding...

m0WQljd.png
What are we doing? What are we waiting for?

m0WQljd.png
Forgrimm, show me the way to the ship! Or do you still need me here?

EozdLOG.png
Yes, please join me.

We will remove Cano from the party for now.

h49c3Lj.jpg

Angela’s companions will now have a lot more to say.

aRZB7vR.jpg

EozdLOG.png
How do you assess the situation?

m0WQljd.png
The situation is extremely critical. If the crown falls into the wrong hands, then the Emperor can be discredited. That’s why it’s so important that we find out where Mora disappeared to with the crown.

EozdLOG.png
Tell me something about yourself, Ardo.

m0WQljd.png
I was born 34 divine cycles ago as the son of Hlûthar of Boarstock. Our family is one of the most established, storied ones in the Middenrealm. And my estate, Imperial Oxblood, lies in the Imperial Marches of Garethia.

I actually found some extremely detailed information on Ardo, all the way onto the names of his squires… Ardo’s wife is named Godelind von Luring and 8 years his senior.

It seems Ardo married young as at the time of the game (1009 BF) he has a 17-year-old daughter Alara (his heiress), a 12-year-old son called Raulbrin and a 8-year-old son called Halwart.

Also note that Ardo is cousin to Prince Blasius of Boarstock, the Kosh ruler at the time of the game.

m0WQljd.png
That's also the where our family seat, Castle Rudo’s Shield, is located. The Middenrealm emperor’s imperial insignias are kept there for safekeeping. No fortification in Gareth’s vicinity is as strong as Rudo’s Shield.

m0WQljd.png
However ... oh, but I digress, you wanted to hear some personal information ...

m0WQljd.png
... I take the duty of protecting the imperial insignias very seriously, but I don’t think much of any of the trappings of court life: Eating with knife and fork, bathing three times a day or spraying myself with every type of Horasian perfume.

m0WQljd.png
Better a proper hunt or a couple of tankards of pale ale with Forgrimm in our beer ... uh, guard room next to the insignias chamber.

EozdLOG.png
Tell me about Rudo’s Shield.

m0WQljd.png
Castle Rudo’s Shield is one of the oldest castles in the realm. It was expanded after Raul the Great’s triumph over Bosparan, so that the Empire’s insignias could be stored there safely.

Note: Raul the Great, first Emperor of Middenrealm, was actually a Tulamide.

m0WQljd.png
But the stronghold wasn't finished until Emperor Rudo's regency. That's also why its name is Rudo’s Shield.

EozdLOG.png
Tell me something about Raul’s Crown.

m0WQljd.png
It is said that after Bosparan fell, a griffin crowned Raul the Great with twelve golden feathers, which were transformed into a crown overnight. He had large gemstones set into it, to symbolize the Empire’s provinces.

Note: the Gods themselves actually interfered during the decisive battle between Raul the Great and Hela-Horas, because the latter had summoned so many demons that she lost control over them. The city of Bosparan was leveled by the Gods.

m0WQljd.png
The genuine Raul’s Crown has the power to sow courage, recognize duplicity and to give the ruler insight into the concerns of the people. But that only happens if it is worn by the rightful emperor. Otherwise it will call down the wrath of the gods!

m0WQljd.png
About sixty divine cycles ago, Emperor Bardo had a copy of the crown made for his twin sister Cella, in order to rule jointly with her. After Reto of Gareth seized power, the object ended up in the secret chambers ... or so we thought.

EozdLOG.png
How was it even possible for the theft to take place?

m0WQljd.png
Hm, that evening we received an unexpected delivery of Ferdok Pale Ale. Forgrimm and I were extremely busy with telling stories. Cano must have managed to sneak past us then.

m0WQljd.png
But we caught him red-handed, in the end. He was sitting in front of the crown, crying his eyes out and with chattering teeth, struggling with himself and his god. Ha ha ... that was a sight to behold! Forgrimm was ready to take off his head on the spot ...

m0WQljd.png
... but I first wanted to hear why he wanted to commit such a brazen burglary. Cano explained the forgery to us and that only a woman called Mora could be behind the scheme. It was clear to me that I ...

m0WQljd.png
... could only regain the crown with the help of this rascal. Forgrimm didn’t want to hear of it, but the three of us set off together the next morning to find the woman and the crown.

EozdLOG.png
Who would stand to gain anything if Mora stole the crown?

m0WQljd.png
The crown is the most important precious object symbolizing the Emperor's rule. If it became public that it is no longer in safekeeping at Rudo's Shield, then surely voices would be raised to challenge the Emperor’s legitimacy.

m0WQljd.png
And then if the crown turns up in the wrong hands, these people could attempt to lay claim to the throne. Altogether a rather tricky situation. At worst it could even lead to civil war.

EozdLOG.png
How did you know how to begin the search for Mora?

m0WQljd.png
We were able to meet a friend of Mora’s in Elvenhus through Cano’s contacts, a certain Gideon. He was able to tell us that Mora had gone missing following a pirate attack on the Great River.

m0WQljd.png
Since then we’ve been going up and down the river. Hm ... I admit that we were pretty unimaginative at the beginning of our search.

EozdLOG.png
What do you know about Mora?

m0WQljd.png
What can I say? The woman stole from me. But if I pay attention to Scallywag's words, I gather she must be something special. I‘m pretty interested in seeing what will happen when this ‘Master and Mistress Scallywag' meet one another.

EozdLOG.png
What do you think about Cano?

m0WQljd.png
Fortune favors fools, I say. And even if he is a scoundrel, he’s the key to finding Mora. And ... somehow I just like the fellow. But don’t tell Forgrimm I said that.

EozdLOG.png
How did you actually meet Forgrimm?

m0WQljd.png
Forgrimm entered my service when he was looking for a job to earn a few ducats for a return trip to his clan. Heh heh, he had spent all his money on pale ale.

m0WQljd.png
Well now, nothing came of his return trip, and Forgrimm and I have been comrades in arms and very good friends since then.

EozdLOG.png
What’s your opinion of Fayris?

m0WQljd.png
An amazing woman with a great deal of sensitivity. Exactly the right person for this task. She’ll go far. I hope she’ll be able to get over the loss of her good friend Jaakon.

Next, Angela speaks to Fayris.

39gE1DC.jpg

YPloVOT.png
We should support Ardo’s quest with all our power. The consequences if we should fail can hardly be imagined. But I fear that it could cost many lives.

EozdLOG.png
What do you think about Forgrimm now?

YPloVOT.png
Have you noticed that Forgrimm and Cano are working together really well now? Apparently the common goal is having a positive effect on those two. The cruel words that they used to fling at each other’s heads now sound more like harmless teasing to my ears.

EozdLOG.png
What do you think about Cano now?

YPloVOT.png
Yes, he’s obviously still harboring a few secrets. Let’s wait and see if he has already told us everything. Yet we can trust him in general, he would never put us into a dangerous situation.

Next, Angela talks to Forgrimm.

GStBNz4.jpg

XcemGgR.png
Yeah ... ehm, you’ll be able to manage it, I would say. After all, it was your doing that Ardo is in good health again.

EozdLOG.png
Ardo is healthy again. Are you pleased about it?

XcemGgR.png
Haha ... well, what do you think? If it hadn't been for you, then Scallywag and I would have botched it royally. But no matter ... now we have to get the crown back so that Ardo can smile again!

EozdLOG.png
What do you think about Cano now?

XcemGgR.png
Hm ... I think that the thing with Ardo did teach him a lesson. The fellow must have something like a conscience after all. Hm, and I even like a couple of his tricks.

And finally, a chat with Cano.

V0olf9x.jpg

OKlt61R.png
It could get a little hairy with the pirates. Keep in mind that the end never justifies the means! But now we simply have to do everything possible to find Mora ... and the crown, of course.

EozdLOG.png
What do you think about Forgrimm now?

OKlt61R.png
He really seems to have calmed down a bit since Ardo was healed. He even has an occasional useful idea now and then. In some ways he can be quite funny, that little guy.

In any case, Ardo now officially becomes a party member. Like Forgrimm, he’s a fighter with some actually good skill too, as a nobleman.

wolgbyV.jpg

xYLYJjX.jpg

fP3vRGQ.jpg

Ardo specializes in one-handed swords but it’s a good idea to train him in two-handed swords as well; after all, we still have an Andergaster lying around unused.

ssABMPY.jpg

Ardo also has in his possession two unique pieces of equipment.

T3zx8XC.jpg

82L9S5A.jpg

Before leaving the Elven woods, Alari has a task for Angela.

2X5sAiY.jpg

EozdLOG.png
What are you getting at, Alari?

4u7pCoP.png
One of my little sisters recently left the tribe and no longer sends me thought pictures. When I sing the song of disquiet, I get only confusing answers to my questions.

EozdLOG.png
Would I know her if I met her?

4u7pCoP.png
Oh, Sanraya is beautiful-dangerous and soft-wild! She feels healthy and safe, but surrounded by stench and disharmony. What can it mean?

EozdLOG.png
I will keep my eyes open, I promise!

Linwen Owlwing will now also have a new task.

oqiMjOG.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Although I already wield an excellent weapon, I do not wish to decline such an honor.

xPCFqe0.png
Before we start work on the weapons, you must first attune yourself to the task. Only when you are more familiar with the location of the weapon forming, can you complete your work properly.

EozdLOG.png
Makes sense. How can I do this?

xPCFqe0.png
Join me while I work on arrows. Even though our methods may differ, we can learn from one another.

EozdLOG.png
I will learn exactly how you work.

Linwen Owlwing basically wants us to craft some Elven arrows, this is something Fayris will take care of.

At this point the highest level of the Elven tree will also be accessible, but there’s nothing interesting there for now. Just one Elf we haven’t talked to yet.

OHAGmHF.jpg

Vez9on8.jpg

FT16trb.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Can you tell me something about magic?

e7h9zjn.jpg
Of course, but that does not mean you will understand it.

EozdLOG.png
How is Elven magic different from that of other peoples?

e7h9zjn.jpg
We Elves learn to use our mandra in the same way that we learn to walk. Nature teaches us to trust in the fact that we can run faster when we are in danger.

e7h9zjn.jpg
We learn and use our magic intuitively. We hear whether the melody of a spell can be introduced in harmony to the surrounding environment, which we call the iamanda. This harmony is obviously unimportant to many magicians.

e7h9zjn.jpg
Or maybe they simply cannot hear it and therefore cannot really feel the magic. Otherwise, why would they learn magic from lifeless books and use it without consideration for the consequences?

EozdLOG.png
What can you tell me about the magic protecting the ruins?

e7h9zjn.jpg
This was an act of magic that the Storm Sentinels were only able to perform in unison. But we were guided by Isaliel.

e7h9zjn.jpg
We gathered every spring to replenish the magic with our renewed powers. Anyone who could breach it, must have incredible power.

EozdLOG.png
I would like to hear about how Elves work their magic together.

e7h9zjn.jpg
In Salasandra, we combine our knowledge and our powers and are able to weave magic more powerful than we can individually.

e7h9zjn.jpg
It is not easy to explain complete unity of thoughts and feelings to somebody who has not experienced it. I feel so sorry for you.

Last thing to do in the area is craft that cure for the mirebeast.

y6AyeBl.jpg

7zYF5UN.jpg

cXQhOFb.jpg

ezQR2dH.jpg

Unfortunately, though, the mirebeast turns into a hostile ogre.

ZSTpWiS.jpg

CX8u3gp.jpg

After killing the ogre Archon Megalon pops up a final time.

Par1t0F.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Well, you're not the only researcher on Ethra.

pe6Xgj6.png
Ah, you call yourselves researchers, do you? Shall we reiterate your research methodology? What was your hypothesis?

EozdLOG.png
The mire beast wasn't a mire beast and no longer wished to be one.

pe6Xgj6.png
That was two hypotheses. An assumed falsification of the first hypothesis made the second a premise of philosophical importance: 'Are animals self-aware?'

EozdLOG.png
Do you want to talk about my experiment or would you rather philosophize?

pe6Xgj6.png
I just wanted to remind you that every experimental process must be framed within a theoretical context. Now let's talk about the tools and variables involved in the implementation.

EozdLOG.png
The tool was the remedy and the variable was the mire beast.

pe6Xgj6.png
The dependent variable reacted as planned, despite the fact that the tool was not verified. The observer - that's you - then interrupted the experiment by prematurely killing the object under observation.

EozdLOG.png
I thought it might be a transformed Human or Elf.

pe6Xgj6.png
You base your arguments on speculation, rather than reliable causal statements. You still have much to learn if you wish to discover the true nature of the world.

Hammerberg is marked on the world map, but for now the Thalaria returns to Nadoret.

RXw3o0W.jpg

drexciya

Augur
The demon, mentioned by Archon, can be defeated, even when not using any seal, but that's very time consuming and requires lots of arrows and potions.
Depends on how combat worthy you build your characters. I did it in ~7-8 minutes. I had to recast the attributo STR spell on Forgrimm once , duration is 5min so the fight took longer than 5min but was over before the second spell ran out. The key is:
Forgrimm needs to tank and never get knocked down so he doesnt lose aggro, hence he should have a STR close to 25 which is easily possible with the +3STR ring from the arena master and a good attributo spell and/or potion. The others need to shoot fire arrows, the burning dot will cancel out the regeneration the demon has. The ranged chars should also have the marksman skill at least, because that ignores armor value and the demon has a very high armor damage reduction value. Finally if you're feeling cheesy, all the effects like that attack penalty and the mana drain are debuffs he puts on the party when the fight starts and he never renews them so you can actually get rid of them with the spell Recindere. Though it's not a big difference anyway, it took between 5-10min with getting rid of the debuffs with Recindere and without bothering to remove all debuffs from everyone (12x recindere) it also took between 5-10min (i.e. had to recast attributo once), perhaps it took 1min longer or so, but no big deal.
The reward for not using any seal is a very good item.
Interesting; there's so many spells which I haven't looked at during my plays of Drakensang I & II. Indeed you get a very powerful item when not using any seals. In general the Drakensang games are relatively skimpy with powerful items, but that's done in a good way.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 26: Dubm Ox

Back in Nadoret an easy-to-miss sidequest is now available. Right outside the harbour an ox driver appeared.

8fZJZ60.jpg

NgvVTc6.jpg

EozdLOG.png
There must be something wrong with my hearing. What did you say?!

jwIMXP5.jpg
Oh, excuse me, I didn’t notice you there at all! Naturally I wasn't referring to you!

EozdLOG.png
Well, who were you talking about?

jwIMXP5.jpg
Bogumil, my most important associate! I should actually have passed through the toll station long since, but the dumb ox has simply run off!

jwIMXP5.jpg
He’s probably stuck at the 'Mellow Ox' tavern and I didn’t notice it. I should have known that would happen, after all, it isn’t the first time.

jwIMXP5.jpg
Can’t you quickly go look what’s keeping him and nudge him to get moving? You'd be doing me a big favor. I can’t really leave the animals here unattended. It’s right down the path here.

EozdLOG.png
Why not? I always enjoy visiting a new tavern.

Bogumil turns out to be a literal ox.

W3i3Uhl.jpg

64Q7SOT.jpg

u4pgfUJ.jpg
Heh heh.

EozdLOG.png
What’s so funny about that?

u4pgfUJ.jpg
Oh, nothing! I just think your idea of Bogumil is leading you astray...

EozdLOG.png
Then perhaps you would be kind enough to enlighten me?

u4pgfUJ.jpg
Of course... Look around the corner. Bogumil is standing in front of the tavern signboard.

EozdLOG.png
What’s he doing there?

u4pgfUJ.jpg
Better to ask him yourself… if you can, heh heh!

EozdLOG.png
I’ll do that, thank you.

hOpvHMy.jpg

nEinoFr.jpg

xNPacBx.jpg

u4pgfUJ.jpg
Yes, he belongs to old Hajo. It's not the first time that he's stood there as if rooted to the spot.

u4pgfUJ.jpg
I think Bogumil is magically attracted to the tavern's signboard.

EozdLOG.png
Maybe it's the helmet that's nailed to the sign. The horns do bear a strong resemblance to those of an ox.

u4pgfUJ.jpg
It took me a lot of time to find a suitable helmet.

EozdLOG.png
Would you lend it to me? Maybe I can use it to lure the ox away.

u4pgfUJ.jpg
Sorry, no hand-outs here... No free rounds of ale, no tabs and no loans. You'll have to put an adequate sum of money on the table.

Angela can haggle for the helmet and pay just a ducat.

LEKVfmM.jpg

u4pgfUJ.jpg
[Success] Yes, I suppose the helmet has seen better days. 1 ducat and it's yours.

Putting the helmet on Forgrimm leads to the best result.

3lT7a9X.jpg

wF1Nsdb.jpg

6EJESMe.jpg

xOFAOZI.jpg

6OCKZea.jpg

Forgrimm may look like a goat with the helmet on, the ox will still not move.

XYa0zgU.jpg

VaeHDnC.jpg

EozdLOG.png
And just how will you do that?

XcemGgR.png
My Uncle Gnawgrimm, he was a mountain goat herder. He had the manners of a billy goat and smelled like a whole stable full of them. When he had consumed at least five Pale Ales and approached the beasts stripped to the waist, they all followed him.

EozdLOG.png
How is that supposed to help us?

XcemGgR.png
Well ... I have an idea. I’ll turn into the lead steer, I already have this helmet, so I’ll do it for the fun and a couple of Pale Ales. Besides, nobody here knows me.

EozdLOG.png
Shall we risk it? Right then, let’s do it!

XcemGgR.png
Nothing will go down without a Pale Ale!

After five Pale Ales Forgrimm will be drunk enough for the ox to follow.

Cqg6x6K.jpg

zwDdTUq.jpg

WNNuWR7.jpg

fPnitCJ.jpg

lWXdHml.jpg

jwIMXP5.jpg
Bogumil! Well, finally!

XcemGgR.png
Moo ... aha ha, what fun that was. And five Pale Ales at no charge, that was worth it. Ha ha!

EozdLOG.png
Yes, that was a real blast! And a story like that sticks with you forever. People never forget that kind of thing.

XcemGgR.png
Uh ... do you think so? Hm ... maybe it would have been better not to make an ox of myself.

EozdLOG.png
Forgrimm really deserves a reward for his deed!

jwIMXP5.jpg
Hmmm, how about if I had this ox helmet repaired by the local blacksmith? You can pick it up there, then. I’m afraid that I hardly have anything that would be useful to you, otherwise.

With a successful haggle check Angela can get two more ducats out of the ox driver, but the real reward will be the helmet.

Anyway, after the ox diversion it is time to properly equip Ardo.

The helmet of Brig Lo fits Ardo as it was once worn by the founder of his House.

6ePEcUb.jpg

We buy him also some greaves.

ZuSNgkX.jpg

Back at the barracks, our characters now learn some new skills.

Endurance gives +6 to endurance, each level of Armor use decreased Encumbrance from armour by 1.

vJz2OSG.jpg

I2FB2fR.jpg

r8MnWuE.jpg

KZ337Tl.jpg

PqfCVxw.jpg

Sweeping blow doesn’t work that well in practice but might as well learn it.

EMM7KiV.jpg

m0lFlCT.jpg

7gdH45I.jpg

Shield fighting increases the shield parry value.

kp0ovQw.jpg

Ardo might as well learn to use crossbow.

j37Ybga.jpg

ggIBWCK.jpg

The alchemist will now have some new recipes, Angela also buys precision scales.

rvj8lMc.jpg

DNFC6NM.jpg

At the local bowyer Fayris crafts the Elven arrows Linwen back at the Elf woods needed.

eArcgcW.jpg

If we take Ardo to the cook at the Leaping Stag now, there will be a unique interaction.

OILG4BF.jpg

m0WQljd.png
You should add nuts. It lends the whole thing a splendid flavor and a very special aroma!

XrmpY6O.png
Nuts? I’ll have to try that right now. Just a minute!

XrmpY6O.png
You were right. It tastes delicious with the nuts! It makes you feel as if you could take on anything. A breakfast that gives you energy for the entire day.

XrmpY6O.png
Here! Take this recipe as my thanks. I call this creation 'Ardo's Breakfast of Champions'. Because you, esteemed Master Ardo, had the idea that gave it the final touch.

m0WQljd.png
Thank you very much, I uh ... feel honored!

XrmpY6O.png
So, when you have nuts on you in the future, always give them to me. I’ll always buy them from you.

HwdhIzQ.jpg

ialBCb5.jpg

So there’s actually a use even for the most disgusting junk.

Behind the Praios Temple is a merchant called Crooked Otto who sells a lot of peculiar items.

5uJA2tq.jpg

Angela buys here crab pincers needed for a blacksmith recipe.

64B1JsT.jpg

Crooked Otto also sells amoeba spores… these look like they could be useful in the future.

0XCKTPO.jpg

Dragon blood is an alchemical ingredient used for the most powerful potions; might as well get some now.

MOTZWCT.jpg

Back at the Thieves guild Dilga will now teach the most powerful attack, Fatal Thrust, but Angela needs to increase CO to 15 for this first.

bBIPZ8I.jpg

For now, Angela will learn Bleeding.

46lsaKT.jpg

Ardo also learns Dodge (a lot of special attacks in the game can only be dodged).

mAiJCiK.jpg

Angela also asks Odila about some thievery rumours.

kUUQUii.jpg

UxptNjM.png
Sure I do, but that’ll cost you, hmm ... 3 ducats, because it’s you.

EozdLOG.png
All right. Here are 3 ducats.

UxptNjM.png
I heard there’s a worthwhile building in the northwestern part of town, at the fork in the river. There’s supposed to be fabulous treasure in the cellar.

UxptNjM.png
The problem with it is that the deceased owner allegedly laid traps all over the cellar. If you go in there, you should be extremely cautious.

EozdLOG.png
That sounds very interesting, thanks.

At this point Odila also sells Gloves of Shadow, but these are kinda overkill now.

Ii4lG9X.jpg

Angela buys the velvet gloves, though.

OjCs2jt.jpg

Now at the mage tower a whole lot of p. interesting new spells will be available, but these are all Human-only.

uwIIRIF.jpg

vL3Lqso.jpg

FydwzYG.jpg

lGSOXZ2.jpg

UWK46ib.jpg

NTwa9X7.jpg

IzjgErY.jpg

Oo2J2tM.jpg

Note: the Horriphobus spell was created by Archon Megalon…

TagyOhB.jpg

In any case, the recipe Angela picked up in the Bosparanian ruins can be sold to Brookbeard in exchange for another recipe.

s527gFX.jpg

8hhLUpG.png
What?! Bosparanian? Show me! Oh... oh... yes... now that is of extraordinary interest to me! I'll give you another recipe in exchange for it. What do you prefer... Incendiary arrows, incendiary bolts or incendiary bullets?

EozdLOG.png
The recipe for incendiary bolts.

8hhLUpG.png
Here, I’ll give you this recipe for yours.

EozdLOG.png
A fair exchange, thank you.

The Elf who lives near Nadoret will now teach Marksmanship Mastery… but for this Fayris will need to raise her Base Ranged to 9… meaning investing 3 points among IN/DE/ST.

t3kP3D0.jpg

KmoMmKb.jpg

The local smith will now sell the ox helmet, but even with a successful haggle it still costs 999 ducats… it is meant to be an endgame item.

6WFgTJr.jpg

Xojeig0.png
Old Hajo said that you did him a favor.

Xojeig0.png
That's why I’m going to give you a special bargain price for friends. 1000 ducats.

EozdLOG.png
A special bargain price for friends? Hajo told me he owed you a favor and that you don’t have to pay for the repairs!

Xojeig0.png
Hajo also claims that his oxen can talk.

EozdLOG.png
But 1000 ducats for an old helmet? Have you lost your mind?

Xojeig0.png
I don’t think you quite understand what kind of quality I’m talking about here.

Xojeig0.png
After the repair and reinforcements I did on it, the helmet went through the hands of the most talented craftsmen and magicians in this town to create something very special!

Xojeig0.png
Alchemist Auralia, Tailor Marcusi and even Master Tergion Brookbeard have all put in their best effort. That has a price. It has turned out to be a genuine masterpiece!

EozdLOG.png
[Haggle] Maybe it is a masterpiece. But 1000 ducats is hardly a special bargain!

Xojeig0.png
Very well, 999 ducats, because it’s you!

EozdLOG.png
Are you kidding me?

Xojeig0.png
By Ingerimm, no! I would ruin my business if I cheated my customers! Believe me, this helmet is truly a unique piece of a very special type!

EozdLOG.png
I’m sorry but that’s too expensive.

In any case, the smith now sells the recipe to craft Light plate armor but this stuff is too troublesome to craft now. We still buy it for later use along with some others.

bVFRKYD.jpg

rBWfeZJ.jpg

EgRM42g.jpg

For now, we have Forgrimm craft only the Crab shell greaves for Angela.

9LC2cCq.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 27: Stone Prison

Angela returns to the Troll bridge south of Nadoret. Trolls are dubm, so it’s very possibly they completely forgot about her by now.

Of course, after reading Hubert Van Haring’s book we now know how to get past them.

qQQwL27.jpg

KhvafJ4.jpg

Kpdw9qN.png
Yes. Go 'way! Nothing here for midget man...

g2D84p8.png
Correct. Road end here.

EozdLOG.png
I may not be a troll, but a magician is expecting me. I'm sure you know who I mean.

6U6JTWb.png
'Course, we know! Glitterman good friend. And he sure not say we let other midget man through. So you no go through!

EozdLOG.png
Your loyalty to your oath is very commendable. He must be a really nice magician if he's your friend.

6U6JTWb.png
Yes, he be. He give us always reward. Ku... emm... Ka... uh... Tongues! Sweet tongues! Maybe you bring sweet tongues, show us you friend of Little Spellcaster.

EozdLOG.png
"Sweet tongues"?! You don't mean candied Kosh bunting tongues, do you?

6U6JTWb.png
Yaa, right name. Sweet, good!

XcemGgR.png
Kosh Bunting tongues? Are a few screws perhaps loose in your head? They don't only taste fantastic, they're also darn expensive! I'd rather eat them myself than give them to Trolls!

6U6JTWb.png
Hairy midget man complain all he want, it no matter ... want to past us go, bring you sweet tongues. Mmmm, tastem soooo much gooood!

EozdLOG.png
Alright, then. As far as I'm concerned, you can have your "sweet tongues".

Crooked Otto is the only merchant with bunting tongues in inventory. Plus some other weird stuff.

x1Aee82.jpg

qgEcjnu.jpg
No, no, that was a special delivery that somehow fell into my hands. I don’t even know who the original recipient is. Now they’re looking forward to a new home.

EozdLOG.png
What exactly are they?

qgEcjnu.jpg
Those are the legendary Valpodings! Chimeras that live here in the Kosh. They are extremely hard to find and therefore quite valuable. Well, have I piqued your interest?

m0WQljd.png
If my little cousin Anshold knew ... the princeling is completely nutty about the beasts. He dreams of his own zoo instead of working on his sword arm. Ha ha!

It’s possible to buy these bizarre animals but it doesn’t affect anything in the game. Angela purchases only the tongues.

6Et0gGf.jpg

With the tongues in hand the trolls can be peacefully subdued.

PF0T4yV.jpg

EozdLOG.png
What did you think? A whole stack of them, even.

6U6JTWb.png
You show. Quick!

EozdLOG.png
Here. Feast yourselves on these.

6U6JTWb.png
Aahhh, much sweet tongues! Friend, friend, you gooood friend... You pass!

f2GUqqR.jpg

ILqaw6O.jpg

Opting for the peaceful solution has an added benefit: a free piece of armour.

KPTAeGE.jpg

We will stick the Tulamidian mail on Ardo.

tMY0nXc.jpg

NjAkJQ1.jpg

In the area past the trolls can be found some Olginroot… a plant that’s ridiculously difficult to locate let alone harvest.

z20qEzR.jpg

There’s also a hidden chest with some minor treasure.

U2ht8Sj.jpg

A0e8IpA.jpg

qIBUaqd.jpg

At the end of the area is a small lake with an island. The island can be reached by rowboat… this is clearly the location mentioned in Hubert’s book.

eLYNiED.jpg

TOsWidh.jpg

As soon as Angela steps foot on the small island a voice calls out to her.

8XVGih1.jpg

dlO5cdD.jpg

Zi1vlDW.jpg

eWhuNNN.jpg

xhnJS8O.jpg

EozdLOG.png
What ... is someone talking to me? Where are you?

The voice appears to belong to a water nymph. Or necker.

AeaOqrx.jpg

As an aside: if one leaves the main menu screen on for long enough, a water nymph will eventually raise from the water and walk past.

4oJxLZG.jpg

MpVVNa0.jpg

COHx5Kf.jpg

WWUybyW.jpg

qx17z7z.jpg

At any rate, this nymph is the creature mentioned in Hubert’s book.

EozdLOG.png
I cannot hear you, but I can sense your voice inside my head ... don’t be afraid of me.

DYE2ycw.jpg
I understand your thoughts. But the language of you landfolk is foreign to me.

DYE2ycw.jpg
I was afraid that he had come back at first. He lived on land like you. He made me suffer a great deal. But he suffered, too. He hasn't come to this place for a long time.

EozdLOG.png
What is this strange place? Who are you? Do you live here?

DYE2ycw.jpg
This is not my home. But I am a prisoner here. My name is Aililayal. I belong to the water folk. You who live on land call us the Water Nymphs, I believe.

EozdLOG.png
You say you’re being held prisoner here? What do you mean?

DYE2ycw.jpg
The one who lives on land, who I told you about ... he shackled me to this place. Do you see these rocks here? He placed a mighty spell on them, so I that I’m unable to leave this island ...

EozdLOG.png
I’ve never seen a creature like yourself before. Do you really live under the water?

DYE2ycw.jpg
Yes, the rivers and depths of the ocean are home to us. Yet at times we go on land, where we meet some of your kind. That frequently brings us children of the water a great deal of pain ...

DYE2ycw.jpg
One of your kind saw me on the shore one night and came over to me. He said that I belonged to him now and bound me to this spot ... but I can’t survive here. I long to return to my people.

EozdLOG.png
What do I have to do to set you free?

DYE2ycw.jpg
Perhaps there is a way. But to help me you must understand the herbs of the forest. The one who lives on land used them to work the spell.

DYE2ycw.jpg
My senses were numb when he brought me here. I couldn’t see everything he did exactly. But he placed herbs in the bowls on these stones. A different one in each.

EozdLOG.png
Please continue.

DYE2ycw.jpg
Then he turned the stones in a certain way and then suddenly there was light in this place that began flashing in a myriad of colors. It was like looking at the sun through a waterfall.

DYE2ycw.jpg
Shortly after that it seemed as if my legs were turning into frozen water. Then I lost consciousness.

DYE2ycw.jpg
Ever since then that happens every time I distance myself more than a few steps from the island. My body stiffens, as if it is turning to ice, and I lose my senses.

DYE2ycw.jpg
I’ve been trying to escape from this spell for many moon cyles. But it’s hopeless. The herbs that grow on this island aren't the right ones to help me escape.

EozdLOG.png
Do you know anything else about these strange stones?

DYE2ycw.jpg
They can be turned, but I can’t interpret the symbols on them. However, I do know that the right herbs are needed to work the magic.

DYE2ycw.jpg
I beg you, help me! If you find the right herbs and turn the stones in the right way, then I’ll surely be set free.

EozdLOG.png
Fear not. I will do what I can to help you.

450lVPf.jpg

The first thing to do is to align the symbols on the rotating disc with the symbols on the rotating pillars.

QK8KnhV.jpg

ktVBMnJ.jpg

6j2cN3F.jpg

Next, we need to put the right herb in the right pedestal. Some knowledge of Aventurian lore is required for this: the symbols correspond to certain elements.

aQzJ1e8.jpg

To break the spell that is holding the nymph, we put Oneberry in Water bowl, Firemoss in Humus bowl, Whirlweed in Fire bowl, and Toadstool in Earth bowl.

pQKFUrl.jpg

D2YKvfU.jpg

JX5jOPt.jpg

And just like that, the nymph is freed.

XGS2ktB.jpg

DYE2ycw.jpg
I’m so happy! I can finally go back to the waters of my homeland! Back home to my own people! Thank you!

DYE2ycw.jpg
I don’t have anything precious that I can give you for it. But perhaps I can give you a gift that you will think is much more valuable. Open your mind to me ...

Now, if this had been a Wapanese game…

vYYgWVH.jpg

EozdLOG.png
That ... that’s quite overwhelming! Thank you. Good luck on your homeward journey.

m0WQljd.png
May the Twelfgods be thanked that the poor creature is free now. I had my doubts that the puzzle could be solved at all.

XcemGgR.png
Don't worry, old friend. A human did imprison the water woman here, but this place was certainly created by Dwarven Geodes. You can see that by the fine craftsmanship all around you.

YPloVOT.png
That means that Dwarves only construct prisons that can be opened again... I find that very reassuring. I doubt that whoever built this place had good intentions.

At this point Angela has enough to raise CO to 15, a requirement to be able to learn Fatal Thrust.

uA3MSJu.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 28: Pest Control

Passing past the mill south of Nadoret there appears to be a problem.

IJJVznc.jpg

HjaYcx0.jpg

EozdLOG.png
What are you talking about?

FZgcAiY.png
Vermin! My mill is infested with giant lice!

FZgcAiY.png
Didn't you see them on your way here? They have taken over the whole mill! I don't dare even set foot on my own property!

EozdLOG.png
I'm sorry - I didn't see any lice.

FZgcAiY.png
Since you are here anyway, couldn’t you take on this plague for me? You look like a brave sort... one who doesn't scare easily, and I have no one else to turn to.

EozdLOG.png
Dispatching this brood would be my pleasure.

There are four lice to kill but of course that’s not the end of it.

mR9o5Dd.jpg

Azh6vCj.jpg

EozdLOG.png
That was child's play. Those four lice were easily disposed of.

FZgcAiY.png
What? Only four lice? Excuse me, but I could have gotten rid of them myself.

EozdLOG.png
Please feel free to be a bit more grateful ...

FZgcAiY.png
But I am grateful for your efforts! However, there are many more lice in the courtyard. Some take longer to crawl out of their holes. You only have to look around carefully and wait a bit.

EozdLOG.png
Then I’ll go back…

This time there are about twenty lice in total to kill… Angela also picks up a suspicious looking bottle of liquid along the way.

S4IvCxU.jpg

O6ywMhW.jpg

OqheAPy.jpg

c6kXcyX.jpg

If Angela doesn’t find the bottle, the quest ends immediately. Now there’s a follow-up.

60iqGLY.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Yes, I've put an end to the plague.

FZgcAiY.png
Oh, if you knew how welcome your news is! You have really helped me a lot. I just wish I knew what attracted these creatures...

EozdLOG.png
I may have an answer to that. I found this vial.

FZgcAiY.png
Show me…

EozdLOG.png
Here you are.

FZgcAiY.png
Hm, that looks very strange. It's not mine.

FZgcAiY.png
Could it be something like a lure for them? But... Who...who would do something like that?

EozdLOG.png
Perhaps we should find out exactly what's in the vial first.

FZgcAiY.png
An excellent idea! Could you perhaps ask around among the merchants in Nadoret? Auralia the Alchemist might know what it is!

There’s a possibility here to extract some ducats from the poor miller.

2eJ5O97.jpg

FZgcAiY.png
Well, you would only have to speak to the merchants who sell potions and tinctures. However, I understand. Could 4 ducats change your mind, by chance?

EozdLOG.png
I’ll keep my ear to the ground.

Along the way to the marketplace, Angela decides to check out that warehouse Odila had told her about earlier.

tItx6ln.jpg

ou6T3uL.jpg

Some of the traps inside are ridiculously difficult to spot even boosting Perception over 20.

ODywMkR.jpg

VAncmzc.jpg

There are two treasure chests with decent treasure.

9X5Ncjn.jpg

lghefke.jpg

MmRZbWA.jpg

4lTM4D0.jpg

Angela also takes the time to purchase a rapier from Bakur.

oz0uxx2.jpg

Then, at the marketplace Auralia is consulted.

CoEW47f.jpg

mJQBOB3.png
Let me see ... hm, fascinating ...

EozdLOG.png
Can you identify it?

mJQBOB3.png
You have discovered a conspicuously rare liquid from the Khôm Desert.

EozdLOG.png
What is it used for?

mJQBOB3.png
That’s a good question, for this secretion has a truly peculiar characteristic: It attracts Tomb Lice. The only question now is: who would have a need to attract these animals?

EozdLOG.png
Exactly. Do you sell this liquid?

mJQBOB3.png
No. Who would have any interest in luring this vermin?

mJQBOB3.png
If you are searching for answers, then go look up Crooked Otto behind the Temple of Praios. He has a taste for obscure things like that.

EozdLOG.png
Thanks for the tip.

Of course, we are already acquainted with this Otto.

4jCwlpV.jpg

qgEcjnu.jpg
Let me see ... Yes, that did come from my collection. I recognized it immediately. The best quality. I’d take an oath on it.

EozdLOG.png
What exactly is the liquid inside the vial?

qgEcjnu.jpg
This miracle drug is used when you want to play a dirty trick on your neighbor for revenge. If you sprinkle some of this in his cellar, it will soon be overrun with lice!

EozdLOG.png
Do you remember who you sold it to by any chance?

qgEcjnu.jpg
Of course! But I can't think of the name right now. Strange ...

There’s a possibility to intimidate Otto, but that’s just too rude…

EkxyYjE.jpg

qgEcjnu.jpg
Very possible! 2 ducats can sometimes work wonders.

EozdLOG.png
Here are 2 ducats. Now let’s see what kind of wonder we can work here.

qgEcjnu.jpg
Ah, my memory is suddenly coming back ...

qgEcjnu.jpg
... a few days ago a young girl bought this substance from me ... peasant clothing, brown hair, freckles ... I really don’t remember any more than that.

EozdLOG.png
There you go ... your memory is fantastic! Thank you.

Back at the miller the culprit is quickly revealed.

8mfwUS4.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Actually, I did manage to find out some interesting details.

FZgcAiY.png
Don't keep me in suspense! What is it?

EozdLOG.png
Well, the liquid was actually for attracting lice.

FZgcAiY.png
Oh no! ... But... whoever would do anything like that?

EozdLOG.png
The purchaser was apparently a young peasant woman with dark hair and freckles.

FZgcAiY.png
Dark hair and freckles? Are you sure? Maybe you misheard?

EozdLOG.png
You've gone very pale. What's the matter, all of a sudden?

FZgcAiY.png
By all that's holy, that description fits my daughter! Oh Berisa, what have you done?

EozdLOG.png
What could have induced her to do such a thing?

FZgcAiY.png
Ahh, we had a very bad argument about nothing. That girl has got such a temper, I tell you! I just don't know what to do with her!

EozdLOG.png
Don't worry about it. They're always a bit difficult when they get to a certain age.

FZgcAiY.png
How right you are! My wife should speak to her. She is better at handling delicate situations like this...

EozdLOG.png
That’s a good idea.

6x0KScA.jpg

The gold ring reward is crap… but at least the many lice eyes we collected can be sold for decent profit to the local cook.

YICRwlZ.jpg

oscar

Arcane
I'm only up to near the end of the toll river fortress but loving this game so far. Surprising it's so little mentioned on the Codex as a fairly fluid detailed rpg with plenty of use for social/non combat skills, robust character development, good writing and still quite pretty graphics. It's been a very very long time since I've been 'sucked in' by a rpg before like this.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm only up to near the end of the toll river fortress but loving this game so far. Surprising it's so little mentioned on the Codex as a fairly fluid detailed rpg with plenty of use for social/non combat skills, robust character development, good writing and still quite pretty graphics. It's been a very very long time since I've been 'sucked in' by a rpg before like this.
It has very few players in general. I'd say the inability to position and block enemies is the only real criticism of this game.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 29: Witcher’s work

There’s something going on on the Boron’s field north of Nadoret. Angela goes to talk with the Boron deont.

YMmlk5h.jpg

nBjUmLQ.jpg

EozdLOG.png
You thought… what?

LZQvrZf.jpg
Well, graves have been defiled … the coffins were dug up and opened - and the corpses that had not already disappeared had bite marks on them, as if something had fed on them.

EozdLOG.png
Do you have any idea what it could have been? A wild animal, perhaps?

LZQvrZf.jpg
No, I think not. I have suspected something evil afoot there for some time now. Do you see the crypt there? That is the final resting place of a noble family who lived around the time Nadoret was built.

LZQvrZf.jpg
I repeatedly have thought I was hearing sounds coming from inside that crypt recently... but when I stopped to listen, there was nothing. I tell you... something terrible is lurking there.

EozdLOG.png
If you were so concerned about it, why didn't you just go and check it out?

LZQvrZf.jpg
The Twelve forbid, no! I may be a servant of Boron, but I do not have the necessary... emm... abilities required to confront things like that. I thought you would be more suitable for this task.

EozdLOG.png
Well, it's no problem for me. I'm not afraid, at any rate. Is there anything special I need to remember?

LZQvrZf.jpg
Oh yes. The head of the family at the time ordered that the crypt be secured with traps and numerous locks... just to make sure that their last resting place would never be disturbed.

LZQvrZf.jpg
You will need this key to get in. It has been passed on from Boron Deont to Boron Deont since time immemorial. You will need it to get further into the crypt. Unfortunately, that's all I know.

In the crypt entrance is a locked door with many trapped locks that can be opened after solving a small puzzle.

lH60Sv0.jpg

A bookstand mentions the room needs to be darkened and indeed, darkness reveals the true lock to open the door.

5rLUtD8.jpg

N7sSYqM.jpg

I5yEgeZ.jpg

HlHsSdI.jpg

There are many fire traps inside the crypt; the creatures plaguing he crypt turn out to be ghouls.

2yurK2K.jpg

NoWiS1k.jpg

m3YEXXl.jpg

There’s also an optional part inside the crypt: collecting emblems to complete a blazon.

iCwQCYH.jpg

mm9W8J3.jpg

A bookstand elsewhere tells the story of the man buried in the crypt.

Vqoj1LE.jpg

pRHDnTm.jpg

Once all the ghouls are killed the final emblem is obtained.

wfUaOgV.jpg

AmbyH3c.jpg

jGBuz40.jpg

yt9dq47.jpg

Completing the blazon will open a secret door to where Joachim is buried… but there’s no reason to disturb the grave as it will simply wake a lot of skeletons lying all over the place.

LRnDodW.jpg

B8qT449.jpg

EZ4JrWI.jpg

6b1C0PL.jpg

The smart thing to do is head back outside and get the reward from the Boron deont.

Angela and Fayris reach level 9 after completing the quest.

0GebGxh.jpg

drexciya

Augur
It has very few players in general. I'd say the inability to position and block enemies is the only real criticism of this game.
I agree on that. Maybe people also don't like that you can only create one character in your party, but that's hardly unique. Apart from that there's a lot to love. I really like the character system for instance.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 30: Arena

The arena is a good place to make some ducats… there’s not only betting but Angela can also fight herself (although Fayris will highly disapprove of this).

hXOm1j6.jpg

hS8L6Ab.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I can fight here?

xA9ezCX.jpg
But of course! If you don't want to bet on anyone else, you can try your own luck in the ring! And who knows... perhaps I have the future Champion standing in front of me at this moment?

EozdLOG.png
That sounds interesting!

xA9ezCX.jpg
There are rules of course. We are not street fighters here! Ha ha ha!

xA9ezCX.jpg
It's 2 ducats for the first fight. If you win, you can double that. And when you win, your next opponent will be.. uhhh... somewhat stronger.

xA9ezCX.jpg
Your stake increases with every new opponent you fight. If you win, you double your money!

xA9ezCX.jpg
We fight one on one. Friends stay out of the ring!

xA9ezCX.jpg
During the fight there is only one rule: There are no rules! We have no sissy stuff here... the stronger man wins. That's all that counts. The first one down loses.

xA9ezCX.jpg
Well? Are you man enough, or do I have a little chicken standing before me?

EozdLOG.png
Of course I’ll enter the ring!

Angela just oneshots the first opponent.

yA0AYva.jpg

tkjFWGe.jpg

Sn1XBXW.jpg

Entry fee for the next fight is 4 ducats.

vminqF8.jpg

The gladiator dude fights almost naked but with his trident can use precision strike.

pSsMWLQ.jpg

MA8lY1m.jpg

Entry fee for the next fight is 6 ducats.

Svc0sEi.jpg

15xjgYG.jpg

Ifirnia is a true, non-evil Amazon. She’s not bad but at this point nary a threat. The Bleeding special attack is devastating.

Lm4VmmA.jpg

8K1f1PI.jpg

QqS7ARR.jpg

After the fight, Ifirnia even has a gift.

CgcoGHs.jpg

EozdLOG.png
You were a worth opponent.

DRYIckM.jpg
Nevertheless, you defeated me. Your fighting skills deserve recognition.

DRYIckM.jpg
So permit me to present you with this gift.

EozdLOG.png
Thank you! I will cherish it.

Amazonian helmet, not a bad souvenir…

UWDE5yw.jpg

DRYIckM.jpg
Please excuse me now. I'm going to rest for a while and think about what I should do next. Maybe I'll see you in the tavern and we'll have a chat.

C4zjHC9.jpg

b3nobqm.jpg

The Dwarf is the first dangerous opponent since with his hammer he can perform Hammerstrike. Some care needs to be taken.

4uy3JGr.jpg

4fSoiS2.jpg

Final opponent is an Ork… but not really any tougher than other Orks Angela fought by now.

nG35OKT.jpg

i4DsInw.jpg

wh2nQPS.jpg

YG78r1y.jpg

Thurazz was also the last normal opponent. Turns out there’s one more special opponent.

YNGrpo7.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Against whom?

xA9ezCX.jpg
Since all my fighters have been defeated, I'll be your opponent! Apart from that, I want my ducats back, ha ha ha! What do you say?

EozdLOG.png
I must prepare myself for this fight.

xA9ezCX.jpg
Deal! Come back when you’re ready.

Angela will first check out the tavern where the defeated arena opponents are chilling.

rGP3Oo6.jpg

gn15nZB.jpg

EozdLOG.png
You were a worthy opponent!

gfIp0Ln.jpg
We fight again maybe one day, then I win!

EozdLOG.png
Perhaps!

0OCAW1G.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Haven't you had enough yet? I'm not a cheater!

VFhKNZc.jpg
Yes, yes, alright. You were probably just lucky. It happens.

dxrw33D.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Tell me about yourself. How did you come to Nadoret?

DRYIckM.jpg
I left my order at times to improve my fighting skills against different opponents. And I learned a few new tricks and moves while fighting in the Arena.

Actually, every Amazon is required to at one point leave their stronghold and make babies… preferably girl babies.

DRYIckM.jpg
But now I've severely clobbered enough drunken sailors and idlers. I'm hungry for some truly honorable and Rondra-pleasing combat again.

HVa6Fpn.jpg

EozdLOG.png
It was a good fight. Don't fret about it.

zP91GCZ.jpg
You won, I lost. That's all there is to it.

EozdLOG.png
If you say so.

zP91GCZ.jpg
My head is killing me. Leave me alone.

Before taking on the arena master Angela finally learns Fatal Thrust. Unfortunately for Ardo, Fatal Thrust does not work with normal swords and he cannot go beyond Precision Strike.

Bu9x2oR.jpg

RDXtPPO.jpg

It is also not a bad idea to learn some better ranged skills.

gFFlb7D.jpg

We also pick up some other stuff for Ardo and Forgrimm.

DG23cCi.jpg

jDLmsCl.jpg

The arena master has high VI, high AT, high PA and spams Knockdown and Hammerstrike. However, he does not really have a defense against Fatal Thrust.

Not to mention, Fayris cast Ice-Cold Warrior on Angela beforehand just to be safe.

ZJQP4zy.jpg

GLBPeCD.jpg

M7vcKbL.jpg

y0pEJ8y.jpg

Kt0ISqD.jpg

xA9ezCX.jpg
Here, the 30 ducats are yours. And take my old sword too.

xA9ezCX.jpg
My time for adventures has come to an end, but you're worthy of carrying my sword. May it help you achieve fame and honor while you make your reputation in the world out there.

xA9ezCX.jpg
You are now the deserving and official Champion of the Arena! However, remember this: Even a Champion must always train his skills in order to remain a Champion. Discipline and endurance must be your constant companions.

EozdLOG.png
You’re right there. I’ll remember that.

xA9ezCX.jpg
Even though you've defeated me, maybe I can still teach you a trick or two. You'll always be welcome here.

Wolfgrim now becomes a melee trainer. His sword, btw, is exactly the same as a normal Andergaster.

ewZb6v7.jpg

Speaking of swords, Forgrimm forges the improved longsword, which will be needed for later.

VRznvyx.jpg

After becoming the Arena Champion, the Fab Four will have moved from the tavern to the harbour.

Q1IP3IW.jpg

VFhKNZc.jpg
But do you think that Arnd will manage without us?

zP91GCZ.jpg
Of course!

VFhKNZc.jpg
Well, after all, we’re his best fighters.

DRYIckM.jpg
Arnd doesn’t need us. He was already successful here before we joined him.

zP91GCZ.jpg
That’s exactly right.

DRYIckM.jpg
I hope the ship turns up soon.

VFhKNZc.jpg
If we had taken the overland route to begin with, we wouldn’t be waiting here now!

DRYIckM.jpg
You don’t cover a distance like that on foot!

zP91GCZ.jpg
And even less so with such short little legs!

VFhKNZc.jpg
Argh! I dare you to say that again, Connar!

zP91GCZ.jpg
Only joking! Ha ha ha.

VFhKNZc.jpg
Humph…

Angela decides to inquire what’s up.

FzlgI8d.jpg

EozdLOG.png
What are you doing here at the harbor?

DRYIckM.jpg
We have decided to follow the call of Tronde Torbenson the Hetman and move to Thorwal.

DRYIckM.jpg
Rumor has it that he is looking for heroes to search for a lost sword in the wilderness of Orkland.

This is a clear reference to Blade of Destiny… which takes place just before the Third Orkstorm (1013 BF).

EozdLOG.png
And now you’re waiting for a ride?

DRYIckM.jpg
We even had a boat which would have taken us to Havena at the end of the Great River... but Tragash is mulish when it comes to travel by water.

VFhKNZc.jpg
The boat was old, and its wood was rotten too. That wreck's probably already sunk, believe you me!

zP91GCZ.jpg
Coward!

VFhKNZc.jpg
Shut your mouth!

gfIp0Ln.jpg
Tragash-Scared-of-the-Water! Ha ha! Your new name! Heh heh...

VFhKNZc.jpg
You'll land in the water yourself if you don't...

DRYIckM.jpg
Quiet! All three of you! You're behaving like children!

VFhKNZc.jpg
But I'm not scared! And I'll prove it too... I'll board the next boat that's going to Havena! So there!!!

DRYIckM.jpg
That will certainly be an unforgettable adventure. I hope we meet again some day!

EozdLOG.png
I hope so, too! Have a good journey!

drexciya

Augur
As far as I can recall, all spells are cleared when entering the arena. How did you manage to get lots of spells active during the arena fights?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 31: Temple of Efferd

Now is a good time to check out the ancient Temple of Efferd.

HLPvubS.jpg

Right at the entrance is a book providing some background information.

yuHP5Vf.jpg

wOQXeFl.jpg

The stairs down are unfortunately blocked at one point. But there’s another journal.

VJ2K5Do.jpg

ORRhE2k.jpg

vRZ2Nwb.jpg

2m7EeIN.jpg

To bypass the broken stairs Angela needs to progress through a yuge cave complex infested with giant crabs and morfus.

mcRLM7r.jpg

yGrU79N.jpg

The stats of the crabs are as follows: VI 50, AT 9, dam 2D+2, AR+6, plus they have a pincer attack that can cause wounds. So actually p. tough.

There are several big groups of crabs to be fought here (final groups are 8 to 10). Not too easy at this point, but at least there’s 8 experience points earned per crab. Getting in here some levels later means fighting millions of crabs and get 0 experience for it.

uG6YTBw.jpg

qMj9JsU.jpg

j8gjT1x.jpg

8z8XxB9.jpg

Fayris’ Meek you be/Master of Animals spell is useful here but it seems the crabs have high RM since the spells fail often.

Once past all the crabs the final set of stairs is reached with a final journal.

kso5kyI.jpg

yjut2HX.jpg

fXW101F.jpg

x6xutMO.jpg

mQ9cq9e.jpg

At the very bottom of the temple is a sliding block puzzle.

fSNuaSE.jpg

pINBkyc.jpg

R6ldyLD.jpg

It is clear that the puzzle needs to be solved to be able to continue but Angela is missing a piece.

QDhonE1.jpg

At least there’s a transversalis ring near to teleport right back to the entrance.

8E0RkyU.jpg

N49Xt63.jpg

It seems the final piece of the puzzle will be obtained later.

2u4YejU.jpg

ILSonW7.png
Another protection against intruders, no doubt. But whoever completes the mosaic should be able to pass. There must be another artifact somewhere else.

ILSonW7.png
It would not surprise me if it were guarded by a creature as foul and terrible as the Kraken Newt. Seek a mighty monster of the deep. There you will find what you need.

Next, we’ll revisit the hunting preserve.

tBII5nv.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 32: Ogerschlacht

At the hunting reserve there is a new hunting quest available.

GWGYWaL.jpg

There’s a group of about ten boars. Some care needs to be taken since boars can cause wounds.

q7sG27v.jpg

O81a8GP.jpg

4F5EMiB.jpg

More importantly, the previously blocked bridge can now be crossed and the rest of the Orks can be exterminated.

4wOLFBU.jpg

There’s a small Ork camp across the bridge with a lot of Orks and one ogre.

kQipWaz.jpg

0VDixAS.jpg

Using Better Offer on the ogre, he was very helpful by taking out most of the Orks with his sweep attack.

NEH1Ngr.jpg

yTgi2ZT.jpg

9pJHv3q.jpg

When the ogre is dead this area is cleared off Orks.

J0CEA0E.jpg

PMuV8lA.jpg

However, the main camp of the Orks is located in a hidden area that can only be accessed through a cleft.

yJe010T.jpg

Xxw79la.jpg

In the main camp is the Ork Leader, a shaman and a really big ogre.

QjFBsU4.jpg

QfHSVdp.jpg

SK0Ylad.jpg

Deeper in the camp are two more ogres. Killing everything in this area will bring the Ork quest to a close.

rkXoSsk.jpg

viV6gYl.jpg

All that remains in the Hunting grounds are two more trophy collection quests.

4sOKVnD.jpg

tVfi9EB.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 33: Signs of Power

Fayris had created some Elven arrows a while back, Angela now returns to the Elven woods to show them to Linwen Owlwing and continue his quest.

IkbneRw.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Yes! It is as if the arrow was already in the branch from which you formed it.

xPCFqe0.png
Three Elves must combine their magic to form three weapons with you. Speak with Calenleya Arrowsong and Ilcoron Sparkweaver and ask them if they wish to help.

EozdLOG.png
I’m on my way already.

Ilcoron Sparkweaver will ask for a pommel, luckily Angela already had one in her inventory.

QtyACkr.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Here is a pommel. [Give Ilcoron a pommel]

gDDDMm3.png
Oh, very interesting... call for me when you wish to begin.

Calenleya Arrowsong is in an area we haven’t been to yet – the Fairie Forest.

4iPXahC.jpg

41PJLg0.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Linwen sent me. Would you be ready to help me make weapons?

pzMK64N.jpg
The question is whether you are ready. Do you really know the wood you intend to form? If not, it will not wish to merge its song with yours.

EozdLOG.png
How can I ‘know’ the wood better?

pzMK64N.jpg
We find the hardest wood in Spritewood which lies beyond this bridge. Go there to seek out the melody of this wood.

pzMK64N.jpg
But remember, the wood is more than just the trees. It is also all the creatures that live among them. Everything is one. Come again when you can tell me how many deer live there.

EozdLOG.png
If that is all…

pzMK64N.jpg
Hark! You will only hear all the notes if you listen long and carefully. Be at one with the woods and move carefully and quietly so that you do not scare its creatures.

EozdLOG.png
I will try.

So, more treehugger nonsense ahead.

There’s a fairy around the Spritewood, an optional challenge is to push it back into the fairy circle.

5NwQQJm.jpg

Fayris, a treehugger herself, in is in her element here.

L36FLSw.jpg

XcemGgR.png
These woods are no different from any others. Trees everywhere, open air and at worst, grass that tickles your belly. Listen for the melody... What nonsense!

YPloVOT.png
Oh Forgrimm! Stop complaining. Just because you can't hear it, doesn't mean it's not there.

Behind the fairy circle in a tree stump is a unique bowyery ingredient: the Inspiration.

rIhlaTG.jpg

lisUXpa.jpg

qtGHBdC.jpg

Pushing the fairy back into the fairy circle requires some stealth.

6Bwq6Lr.jpg

wPJWH1e.jpg

IJS2K2D.jpg

The fairy leaves behind fairy dust… it has no use in the game (not even for alchemy) but can be sold for some ducats.

WVZtRny.jpg

b3DmXNn.jpg

In any case, to be able to count all deer Angela’s supposed to walk slowly through the forest… in total there are nine deer.

GuA5rnn.jpg

pzMK64N.jpg
Were you successful? How many lairja and laërka are there?

EozdLOG.png
Nine.

pzMK64N.jpg
You have seen them all, and heard the sound of their hooves on the forest ground. Do you now carry the song of the Spritewood within you?

EozdLOG.png
As far as I can judge, yes.

pzMK64N.jpg
You have gained knowledge of the wood that you wish to form. Eôrla, I will help you to form your weapons.

Now the three Elves will gather and sing gibberish. Angela needs to correctly repeat the gibberish to continue.

mbzTbfE.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Yes, let us begin!

xPCFqe0.png
Magic and song will help to define the form. To work in harmony with us, you must open your senses by singing with us.

xPCFqe0.png
I call on you all! Unite and channel your powers into this weapon. Diun i'dao sala mandra!

Of course, if the main character is an Elf too, there is no guessing needed.

7KjHgr8.jpg

TzhSYfz.jpg

MvloGxq.jpg

hUP920U.jpg

NPa9CBb.jpg

RsjADMv.jpg

gDDDMm3.png
Eôrla, it is done! This weapon now lives and will grow with you.

pzMK64N.jpg
It will therefore serve to remind you that where you bring zerza, you must balance it with nurdra.

EozdLOG.png
I thank you for this masterpiece.

The weapons Angela just created are Soul bow, Soul spear and Soul knife… however, to perfect the weapons the Inspiration ingredient is needed of which there is only one.

It is best to create the Perfect soul bow for Fayris.

For now, we can craft the Improved Iama Soul Bow. The Perfect soul bow requires a Greater healing potion to which we have no access yet.

y7xwFNE.jpg

FwXjR3M.jpg

gKCfSa0.jpg

By the way, elsewhere is an Elf called Fianna Leafsong who looks like Calenleya Arrowsong’s twin. Angela hadn’t talked to her before.

mjWn40X.jpg

XOxDcl8.jpg
Sanraya would sometimes accompany me on my excursions, often climbing to the highest treetop. But she did not come to observe changes, she started to seek change herself.

EozdLOG.png
But isn't that what you look for too? To keep your tribe informed?

XOxDcl8.jpg
We observe. We react to maintain balance. We do not conceive of reality, we listen to dreams. Sanraya's voice became harsher, her melody like a scornful yawn.

EozdLOG.png
What does badoc mean?

XOxDcl8.jpg
It means losing balance. This happens if we seek meaning, material and might in the same way as Humans. The path of the badoc is a dangerous seduction.

Guess any Elven main character would automatically be badoc, then. :sawyer:

XOxDcl8.jpg
The more you follow it, the more it will ensnare you. Some cannot return to their origins because they no longer feel the fey, the light within them.

EozdLOG.png
Please tell me about the history of the Elves.

XOxDcl8.jpg
Before time began, we were beings of pure light. The reality of Ethra enticed us into this world. To endure threats such as the Orks and the Goblins, we began to expand and defend our lands.

XOxDcl8.jpg
The greatest danger was posed by the dark hordes of the Nameless God, whom we call dhaza. The Dragon Pyrdacor seduced us into badoc, bringing us power and the insanity and destruction that went with it. Gwendala can tell you more about the High Elves.

XOxDcl8.jpg
While the Humans lived through ages of darkness, new conflicts broke out with the Dwarves. But a common enemy in the Orks led to a peace treaty. After the fall of the Bosparanian Empire, the Priest King began to persecute us.

XOxDcl8.jpg
Isaliel, the oldest of our tribe, experienced the period that followed, when we Elves were at variance as to how to deal with the Humans. We fought together with the other peoples against the Demon Master of Borbarad and in the Mage Wars.

EozdLOG.png
Why do you live here?

XOxDcl8.jpg
Isaliel is the only one of us who was not born here. After her tribe in the north was almost completely annihilated by dark powers, she wandered Ethra until she found this place. Here, she and other fey'e founded the Storm Sentinels.

XOxDcl8.jpg
As I'm sure you can tell from the song of our name, we all feel a close affinity with the wind. It carries us, it surrounds our home, it speaks with us while we watch over the Zertaubra beneath the ground that brings great terror.

Next, we’ll return once more to the Tollgate.

kRF4Hbe.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 34: Mage Wars

At the Tollgate there’ll now be some hubbub around a rather well-known figure in Aventuria lore, Rakorium Muntagonis.

wWeKpDu.jpg

4i0ZtwR.jpg

dqIqEOn.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Is there a problem? Can I help?

2TvTIs7.jpg

SQxv0WX.jpg

wZFAfwY.jpg
Oh, that's an interesting theory, my young friend! Are you also familiar with Galotta's commentary on Philosophica Magica, according to which we are all just imaginary figments dreamt up by alien beings?

Note: Galotta was one of the most powerful mages at the time, and later became a Heptarch.

EozdLOG.png
[Arcane Lore] You are clearly alluding to the fact that some scholars doubt the actual existence of our third sphere.

wZFAfwY.jpg
Quite right. In his treatise, Galotta also says that Ethra and the Cosmos actually only exist as ideas and can therefore be changed at any time. Worrying, don't you think?

wZFAfwY.jpg
At that time, the colleague believed it was the Gods who dreamed our world. But really there's no reason why it couldn't be me, for example. An interesting concept, I think.

wZFAfwY.jpg
Do you mind if I ask your name, incidentally? One wants to know... one whom has imagined... eh? Haha...

EozdLOG.png
My name is Angela Merkel. Can I help you in some way?

wZFAfwY.jpg
Hmm, maybe you could look for Nottel for me, yes? Please tell him that I need him here urgently. He's probably forgotten the time again. Absent-minded boy that he is

EozdLOG.png
Where could Nottel be?

wZFAfwY.jpg
Well, I did tell him about those old witch stones up there... Very powerful... Good for sphere travel and blood magic... hmm, hmm...

Good thing Angela already visited these stones once.

By the way, at this point Janah will have heard more rumours about Angela’s actions.

x0Gefrj.jpg

Heading to the stones, there will be some fireflies teleporting out of nowhere, guardians apparently.

JfMtd61.jpg

Nottel will indeed be standing in the middle of the stones, rooted at the spot.

x0AM7CY.jpg

YBolG7e.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Are you Nottel?

yrx2W3T.jpg
Oh, ... You've already spoken with Master Rakorium? Yes, I'm his apprentice. I'm actually called Ungfred, not Nottel. The Master just seems to find it easier to call me that, I guess.

EozdLOG.png
What? Your master can't even get your name right?

yrx2W3T.jpg
Well... Nottel was the name of Master Rakorium's first apprentice. And to make things easier, that's just what he calls all his apprentices now. He's a little... ahem... His duties as Dean mean he's a very busy man.

EozdLOG.png
Rakorium is looking for you.

yrx2W3T.jpg
Praise be to the Mother of Wisdom! I wasn't even sure he would notice I was gone. Could you help me? Otherwise I'll be standing here all night.

EozdLOG.png
What happened?

yrx2W3T.jpg
I wanted to take a look at this stone circle. The Compendium of Miraculous Stones describe it as an unusual specimen. It resembles the work of Dwarven Geodes, but it's much older.

yrx2W3T.jpg
I noticed some strange magical traps on the way here. Obviously some type of contained Transversalis The stone circle itself seems to have a powerful magical aura. Very strange.

yrx2W3T.jpg
I cast an Analytica spell on the stones and it must have caused some kind of feedback. Now the arcane currents have me trapped here. Err, are you still listening?

EozdLOG.png
How can I help you?

yrx2W3T.jpg
There's some kind of magical matrix between these stones that won't let me leave. You have to find a way to interrupt the flow of magical energy.

yrx2W3T.jpg
I think the source of the energy is somewhere below the stone circle. I saw a cave on the way here. Maybe you'll find something there.

yrx2W3T.jpg
Unfortunately the entrance looked like it was blocked. But I'm sure Master Rakorium can help you with that. He's an expert in transformation magic.

yrx2W3T.jpg
Please, go and ask him to help you. Go to the cave and look for the source of the magic and try to cut it off.

Back at the harbour, Rakorium will provide Angela with an interesting magical item.

Gc7qP7v.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I found Nottel!

wZFAfwY.jpg
Oh, that's good... umm, yes... where is he then? Is he with you?

EozdLOG.png
Nottel is trapped. He says you can help me free him.

The guardsmen won’t let Rakorium leave, so it’s up to Angela again.

ICe6qwB.jpg

wZFAfwY.jpg
Oh, that's right... these two gentlemen wanted to discuss something with me... hm, then I shall have to stay here... it's only polite, hmm, hmm...

wZFAfwY.jpg
Can't you go and free him? How is he trapped, hm?

EozdLOG.png
[Arcane Lore] He seems to be trapped by the stone circle's magical matrix, making him a living part of the magic there. The source seems to come from somewhere beneath the stone circle.

wZFAfwY.jpg
Beneath? Now, to break the bonds, you just need to disrupt the power at the source. To do that, you must get to the source of the magical energy.

EozdLOG.png
That's exactly the problem. The cave entrance is blocked.

wZFAfwY.jpg
Hmm? Blocked? Oh, I know that from my expeditions... here, take this. It really works wonders on mineral manifestations of every type. It may need several applications.

Or6T0oj.jpg

Reaching the blocked cave entrance, there will be more magical guardians popping up. This time, spiders.

tYXyRAh.jpg

DQSN51O.jpg

With Rakorium’s pick it is no issue to enter the cave.

09WHcgR.jpg

LD8biVH.jpg

There seems to be a wide cave complex underneath the stones; there’s also a mysterious mage awaiting.

wZfTqJc.jpg

yGzTBLK.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I am Angela Merkel, and I seek the source of the magical energies in this cave.

eD5vM9s.jpg
Magical energies? Do you mean our ritual? It was interrupted! Weeks of preparation and then somebody up there fools with the stones! I'm sure he had a hand in this!

eD5vM9s.jpg
He's been trying to thwart me ever since the ritual was interrupted! He's using every means possible to stop me completing it! He's constantly hiding the components!

eD5vM9s.jpg
Don't believe his lies! It's obvious he is not to be trusted! You should help me find the ingredients!

EozdLOG.png
Who are you?

eD5vM9s.jpg
I am Marawamir ay Elburum, mage and researcher of arcane secrets. The ritual I began must be ended! He must not succeed!

EozdLOG.png
Who is he?

eD5vM9s.jpg
He was once my companion, but now he shows his true face. He is evil and unscrupulous to the core. He wants nothing more than destroy me. He must not achieve his goal!

eD5vM9s.jpg
No time! I must continue! Bring the ingredients to me when you have them! I shall wait for you in the cave beneath the stone circle! And be careful! I'm sure he's laid traps.

eD5vM9s.jpg
Transversalis!

After the mage teleports away, the group soons comes across a group of spiders again. The big spider drops a strange ingredient.

PlNn1YO.jpg

xW5O4Wr.jpg

Soon after collecting the ingredient, “he” apparently appears.

r3NyhjJ.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Who are you?

VBvCLhM.jpg
I am the Master here! My name is Riwaram the Dark! Everything in this cave serves my power!

VBvCLhM.jpg
If you serve me, I shall richly reward you. I have the power to grant your wishes. Oppose me and I shall destroy you!

VBvCLhM.jpg
Collect the components from the surrounding rooms and bring them to the center of the place of ritual! I shall wait for you there.

VBvCLhM.jpg
Transversalis!

To free Nottel, Angela is forced to comply with the two idiot mages.

A group of fireflies drop a herb.

U2rrwaD.jpg

A group of scorpions drop berries.

SweU6We.jpg

MSp55YM.jpg

A giant crab drops a leaf.

ANeJSKK.jpg

Finally, a group of giant beetles drop exotic blooms.

xQcwJcX.jpg

With all ingredients in hand, the skeleton mage will pop up again.

6kFzIsl.jpg

VBvCLhM.jpg
The moment of decision has come... the other one is weak... I have the power to reward you richly... give me the components!

Since neither of the mages appear trustworthy, it seems best to stall for time.

EozdLOG.png
I need to think about it.

VBvCLhM.jpg
Consider your decision carefully... it will shape your fate...

VBvCLhM.jpg
Transversalis.!

At the heart of the cave there’s another smaller stone circle. The other mage is here.

VwMKYPL.jpg

b8oPRIK.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Yes, I have all five here.

eD5vM9s.jpg
Yes! Good! Now I can end the ritual... I can atone for what...

Before Marawamir can finish his story the skeleton mage will pop up again. The two mages will start a magical battle, constantly teleporting in and out.

It is again up to Angela to decide how to finish this.

RqMOMzu.jpg

VBvCLhM.jpg
We should have laid truly deadly traps... our ritual would never have been interrupted! ... Your weakness held us back!

VBvCLhM.jpg
You there... give me the components! I shall end it now...

eD5vM9s.jpg
No! I will... stop you! ... You, please... place the components for me. The sequence is... the book! ... You must consult the book!

eD5vM9s.jpg
... But you must change it! The notes... here in my pocket... You have to... ahh!

VBvCLhM.jpg
Don't listen to that fool! Place... the components... use the book! Complete the ritual!

VBvCLhM.jpg
I will ensure... that this pathetic presence... no longer... disturbs... the ritual! Tell me when the ingredients... are arranged!

The book in the room makes it clear in what sequence the ingredients must be placed in order to complete the ritual… but there’s more to it.

Qxce5ci.jpg

HTqVIUs.jpg

mL4Cdht.jpg

Pickpocketing a notice from the skeleton mage mentions reversing the ingredients.

BdqJO79.jpg

O4PzUMK.jpg

Reversing the ingredients is what it takes to banish the skeleton mage… this is the path Angela chooses.

0LV33sQ.jpg

gKoqC4I.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Yes, I am ready.

VBvCLhM.jpg
Did you get... the order right? A mistake would have... serious consequences... for your friend... up there!

EozdLOG.png
I am sure.

VBvCLhM.jpg
Good… so be it then.

VBvCLhM.jpg
Potentia infinita, Satinav, Elemental power! Vita aeterna, Power of the spheres, Soul split!

VBvCLhM.jpg
It is done! I feel the transformation! Just one more moment and...

Unfortunately for the skeleton mage, reversing the ritual means he banished himself.

HUAjx6q.jpg

The reward is another Ring of Life. More importantly, Nottel should now be free.

gVZFBM4.jpg

Back at the harbour, everything can now be wrapped it.

HgsqRXb.jpg

h9yW9Y3.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Yes, I managed to free him.

wZFAfwY.jpg
Oh, thank Hesinde! I thought I'd have to get another one... hm, yes.

wZFAfwY.jpg
Well, shall we be on our way? This time we should make it to Havena... I hope Prince Bennain won't be too annoyed by the delay... Get ready then, and...

yrx2W3T.jpg
But master, what about our research material? Surely we can't just leave it here?

wZFAfwY.jpg
Oh, ah yes... We should take that with us, shouldn't we? Come along then, Nottel. Transversalis ...

Angela receives a potion from Nottel but Rakorium teleports away before he can finish explaining what it does exactly.

aETDbGR.jpg

wZFAfwY.jpg
Teleport!

0V1yJqv.jpg

Next up, Angela will finally get to Hammerberg.

gEqpRUF.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Part 35: Hammerberg

No warm welcome at all in Hammerberg.

I0ZXOA1.jpg

JKQwMVB.jpg

LkNHBbS.jpg

QKZJxff.jpg

vEq8gRi.jpg

QZO1VRA.jpg

A beardless ugly dwarf greets the group as they take off.

hq3AK3g.jpg

0wiwmU2.jpg

pXDEf69.jpg

EozdLOG.png
We're just simple traveling merchants. This is... err... Gammlund. What's it to you?

9oDutdk.jpg
I see, merchants are you? And what are your goods? Elven puff, by any chance?

EozdLOG.png
Elven puff is in high demand at the moment. What can you offer?

9oDutdk.jpg
Ah, you have some? 20 ducats ought to be a fair price. You won't get more for it elsewhere.

With high enough Haggle Angela can actually pick up 40 ducats here.

EozdLOG.png
[Haggle] That doesn't sound right to me. In fact, your offer is insulting. I want double.

hOFj2Xi.jpg

9oDutdk.jpg
They call me Goldtooth and I'll tell you what it has to do with me. First, I don't tolerate competition. Second, I take care of my businesses here.

9oDutdk.jpg
And third, I tell my friends when my nose tells me something stinks. Something's not quite right about you and your cronies.

EozdLOG.png
You're no different to me. People like us make our own rules, am I right?

9oDutdk.jpg
That's an attitude that will gain you both followers and enemies. But the rules here apply to all, understood?

EozdLOG.png
What rules are they?

9oDutdk.jpg
Differences are settled at the dueling ground. Keep your weapons sheathed anywhere else. If somebody tries to take your life, defend yourself. But no vendettas and no complaining! Any questions?

EozdLOG.png
I think I can manage that.

9oDutdk.jpg
Do you like waiting in the reeds?

This is some kind of code that requires very high Streetwise to respond properly too.

EozdLOG.png
Huh? Do I like what ... where? ... Is that some kind of euphemism? Well... err... I'd really just like to know whether you saw a red-haired woman.

9oDutdk.jpg
I see... I can't tell you anything about that.

EozdLOG.png
[Human Nature] You don't know anything? Or you're not allowed to tell me anything?

9oDutdk.jpg
[Success] Yes, yes, you're right. Hookensang brought a woman with him a while ago. But you'll have to look for the Captain yourself. He hasn't shown his face for a while.

YPloVOT.png
Is she alright? Please, take us to her.

9oDutdk.jpg
Ah, I see... You want to talk to Thunderfist! But I'm afraid I must disappoint you. We don't let just anybody do that.

EozdLOG.png
What do I have to do?

9oDutdk.jpg
You can only meet Thunderfist if you have enough people vouch for you. Not just anybody, of course. People with a certain amount of influence. Like me.

Getting them votes will be the first part of the main quest in this area.

EozdLOG.png
I see. And who has influence here?

Er9W6vO.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I need to know more about these council members.

9oDutdk.jpg
Yes yes, but you won't manage it anyway... hehe... who would you like to know about?

EozdLOG.png
What about you, ‘Goldtooth’.

9oDutdk.jpg
Ay, Avarosh, Son of Gramtax is my name. And my tooth isn't all the gold I have either, hehe. I mine precious metals in the delving and I run all kinds of other lucrative businesses.

9oDutdk.jpg
Loans, for example. At interest, of course. That reminds me... I need someone to call in a few debts for me. It seems to me, you want to get on my good side, don't you...

EozdLOG.png
You’re dead right.

9oDutdk.jpg
Yes, yes. Then make yourself useful! Those who don't make their payments get a visit, understand? Will you take care of it?

EozdLOG.png
Who do you want me to visit?

9oDutdk.jpg
The first is 'Growler' Bodo, a dog breeder. You'll find him near the back harbor. He's stubborn as a mule, that one! Threats of violence don't work on him. And don't call him Growler.

9oDutdk.jpg
The second one is Radomir, the 'Tavern King'. I'll give you three guesses where you can find him. A tricky fellow! Don't let him fool you.

9oDutdk.jpg
And then there's Zira, our tender 'Snow White'. She hangs around behind the tavern fluttering her eyelashes and waiting for business. Heh, yes, yes!

EozdLOG.png
Is that all? As you said earlier, time is gold!

9oDutdk.jpg
And I'm losing gold as we speak! Growler Bodo owes me 12 ducats, Radomir owes me 11 ducats, and Snow White owes me 8 ducats. That's 31 ducats in total. Any questions?

Funnily enough, at this point Angela could easily pay this sum herself.

EozdLOG.png
Tell me about ‘Irontaste’.

9oDutdk.jpg
Phewin Soorman is a dangerous man. Ay! He got into the banditry business early in life. First coaches, then ships. Who knows what else!

9oDutdk.jpg
The only thing that's certain is you won't have much fun speaking with him. He spends a lot of time doing deals in the tavern.

9oDutdk.jpg
First you must speak with his bosun - a stinking Blackfur, hehe. I wonder if you'll survive that? Ay... we shall see!

EozdLOG.png
Tell me about ‘Widowfriend’.

9oDutdk.jpg
Rumpo Perchbold. A man who made it from common mercenary to captain... How did he do it?

9oDutdk.jpg
Ay, I'd like to know that. He's usually over at the back pier, that show-off. Ask him yourself, hehe.

EozdLOG.png
Tell me about ‘Bardshock’.

9oDutdk.jpg
Hehe, Jadira Cruento is a Zahori. You know... a traveling people. She took over the booze house after they strung up the old innkeeper here. Now they all dance to her tune down there.

EozdLOG.png
Tell me about ‘Hookensang’.

9oDutdk.jpg
Ahh, our very own nobility, Timorn of Stoneground. But he'll soon be residing on a stony riverbed if he's not careful, hehe. You can still find him in the tavern.

EozdLOG.png
The woman we were talking about... Can you tell me what happened to her?

9oDutdk.jpg
Maybe. I do make my own rules, just like you. But why should I?

EozdLOG.png
[Fast Talk] I think you know. It would be better to have somebody like me on your side.

9oDutdk.jpg
[Success] Hehe, possibly. I wonder whose side that woman is on. But she's certainly not here anymore. Only Thunderfist knows where she is right now.

Anyway, after all the talking Angela can get down to business. Goldtooth’s task should be easy with her rogue skills.

OhzOpW3.jpg

”Snow Rose”, another floozy, is not far from the pier freezing her ass off.

52UlBY6.jpg

BKSvSGf.jpg

EozdLOG.png
Avarosh sent me. It’s about your debts.

QTgez6h.jpg
Ohhh, good old Avarosh. But I already told him I don't have his money.

Funny enough Ardo can try to use Seduce her. Unbecoming for a man of his standing.

JS8LEeI.jpg

QTgez6h.jpg
[Success] You’re right! Maybe Avarosh's losing patience with me. Here's the money!

EozdLOG.png
Avarosh will be pleased and you'll be left in peace at last.

Angela gets to level 10 after convincing Snow Rose. At this point, Angela also notices a familiar face.

W7gCFDy.jpg

vHwTu59.jpg

It’s the coward that knocked out Angela during the pirate attack on the Star of Ferdok.

1wegxOd.jpg

EozdLOG.png
I remember. You came up behind me and knocked me down right at the beginning of my adventure.

Z6ax7Or.jpg
I hate you! Everything went wrong in my life after I gave you that beating.

EozdLOG.png
Tell me what happened, I’m curious.

Z6ax7Or.jpg
I ran off when your cronies stuck their noses in. In the rush to escape, my ship floundered on one of the great rocks. I barely made it back here on the ship's tiny lifeboat.

Z6ax7Or.jpg
Most of my people went down with the ship. Worst of all, before all this happened I had a chance of getting on the Council. Now that Hookensang sits there instead of me. It's all your fault!

EozdLOG.png
At least I don’t need your vote.

Z6ax7Or.jpg
I don't care about that. I feel like giving you another bump on the head for everything that's happened because of you and your cronies.

Burgess will attack but be beaten into submission very quickly.

SyHCKZr.jpg

m0WQljd.png
By Rondra, let that be a lesson to you for waylaying innocent people!

XcemGgR.png
Hmm, there you have it! You'd best make yourself scarce the next time you see us, hahaha!

Fuck that loser.

h4D0tcz.jpg

Past Burgess is a bridge leading out of the town but we can’t pass here yet.

GSKqagX.jpg

Past a house are two fellows that with high enough Streetwise can be identified as forgers. This might come in handy in the near future.

jYj8o5q.jpg

Abw6ovP.jpg

Elsewhere, Hookensang’s boy “Boy” from the swamp greets Angela.

HQecvbK.jpg

The second person in debt, Yapper Bodo, is behind the inn.

vqMB6Ll.jpg

hDqJtAt.jpg

EozdLOG.png
You owe money to Avarosh. I’m here to collect.

l2Uo4yi.jpg
He can wait until I've sold this litter here. Then he can have his ducats. Tell him that!

Ardo apparently knows something about dogs and is helpful here.

yDMBfJe.jpg

l2Uo4yi.jpg
What? A true expert! Are you also a breeder? Here, take the money. I won't deny a fellow dog-lover.

m0WQljd.png
You have spared me a deal of trouble. Thank you.

l2Uo4yi.jpg
I know Avarosh won't leave me in peace until I pay and you seem to be alright, even though you're a stranger here.

Captain Rumpo is not far from the dog breeder, might as well see him next.

rTfsV85.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom