Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Fantasy General!

barena_045.png

:D

dragonfk

Erudite
This game reminds me of epic battles in Steven Erikson books. Which is veeery, very big plus for this LP!

Pliskin

Arbiter
dragonfk said:
This game reminds me of epic battles in Steven Erikson books. Which is veeery, very big plus for this LP!

It reminds me of Panzer General in drag.

Isn't there also a Star General --- you know; Panzer General in space?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Monocause said:
Fortunately, one of Krell's spells is Fear. I've cast it on the goblins and that made them broken - see the red dot by their health number. When a unit is broken it has serious morale issues and sucks balls when fighting. The goblins will have to rest the next turn to get rid of the broken status, making my cav safe.
Ah, yeah. That's why Earthmasters rock (the earth).

Love that dude. As well as "Singe Entity" units in general. Nightmares FTW!

Research is going nicely. We'll get swordsmen heavy infantry soon, and they're a p. good upgrade from the warbands.
You've spread your research pretty thin, though. Wouldn't it be better to alternate between focusing on different unit types to produce higher level units faster?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Pliskin said:
dragonfk said:

It reminds me of Panzer General in drag.

Isn't there also a Star General --- you know; Panzer General in space?

Yup, Panzer - Allied - Fantasy - Space - Peoples iirc.

People's General was going for that next-gen feeling, with modern equipment and Korea/China-war stuff.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Nice LP, thanks ! I love this game. Even finished it twice. It's good to see it again.

I don't remember exactly how the research for upgrades works, but do you deliberately research so many things at once ? I read that you're not too keen on over-specializing, but still...I seem to remember it being more efficient if you concentrated on the few units you really wanted (according to your playstyle at that point in the campaign), and putting all the others down to 1%. But then, I don't remember how high you can invest in a research.

Hex35

Novice
Hello. I'm new here.

The SSI's mini-campaign addon for Fantasy General (the "Island Challengue") is also worth to remember.
It added a bit more replayability to this gem of game.

Also, I Don't know if somebody was aware of this:

The FG-Demo holds some "hidden units" :shock:
Most of them are shown below.

:arrow: The Second one (the blue coated spearman) appears in the screenshot in the back of the game box.

Those units can be added to the regular game.

Monocause

Arcane
You sure these are "hidden"? I've never played the demo but I think I remember at least some of them. The heavy cav and that mecha cannon for sure. And that

117l.png

Looks like simply a previous version of the staff slinger graphic, look here:

barena_048.png

Hex35

Novice
The Slinger, the Captain, the Siege Engine are previous versions indeed.

Edit: :arrow:
The Gray Eagle is actually a previous (very different) version of Silver Hawks.

But the blue Heavy Cavalry and the blue Spearman are unused units. :wink:
The demo game has both the regular and the "hidden" versions of them.

Edit: :arrow:
The screenshot (modified regular game) shows both the regular and the hidden versions of each unit.

Fantasy General was probably the easiest of the early 5 start games. In other words, it would be classified as far too difficult today, by a long shot.

Allied General: Soviet Campaign. Extremely difficult.

Monocause

Arcane
Hex35 said:

They must've been left out on purpose anyway. Balance issues?

Hex35

Novice
Monocause said:
Hex35 said:

They must've been left out on purpose anyway. Balance issues?

Maybe the blue color didn't help to tell them apart from some shadowlord's units.
Just guessing.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Lack of update makes Jack a dull boy.

I have a problem with this game... I'm running it in DosBox, which usually gives me little problems, but right now it's really bugging me. First I couldn't save the game because, whenever I tried to, it would crash and say something like 'cannot access save.sav'. Also, if I try to run the install, it says 'cannot access help.txt'. This happens even though the files are there.

So I got a different version on which I can save (but still can't run install) but once I start a map I manage to deploy my units, and once I press the End Deployment button, the game starts to do this fading to black thing, slows down to a crawl and locks up. I haven't managed to make it past that.

Any ideas on this? I just tried to run fg.bat from XP and managed to crash my computer into a reboot.

Monocause

Arcane
Dunno. Try the version of FG from abandonia. it's the one I use. There's a lot of releases floating around, many of them screwed

Eldritch

Scholar
Hey, do a Warhammer 40,000: Rites of War LP next co-starring Kingcomrade.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Maybe the one at Abandonia got shafted recently, because it now displays that ominous 'ESA - No Go!' button.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
These magicks are clearly the devil's work! Heresy! Heresy, I say!! Burn the witch!!

On the other hand, thanks and I yield to your clearly superior european ways.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Blackadder said:
Fantasy General was probably the easiest of the early 5 start games. In other words, it would be classified as far too difficult today, by a long shot.

Holy fuck. Yeah, I thought I was extreme HoT SHIT after getting to Washington in PG so I just slammed Allied General open and went with the komrades and booyah, Winter War slapped some humility into me in a hurry. Good times :cool:

GarfunkeL said:
Blackadder said:

Holy fuck. Yeah, I thought I was extreme HoT SHIT after getting to Washington in PG so I just slammed Allied General open and went with the komrades and booyah, Winter War slapped some humility into me in a hurry. Good times :cool:

The whole thing was terribly hard.

The Winter war was almost impossible, the first campaign against the German assault against Ostrov was a suicide mission, and even when you get to Stalingrad, it was murderous. Keeping units alive in the Soviet campaign is a true test.

The US and British campaigns were difficult as well, but nothing like the Soviets.

Luzur

Good Sir
Monocause said:
SerratedBiz said:
Maybe the one at Abandonia got shafted recently, because it now displays that ominous 'ESA - No Go!' button.

Yes, but they've just taken out the link. The file itself is still on the server:

http://www.abandonia.com/en/downloadgame/345

We - the proud Men of the East - know how to find our way around stuff.

usually they keep the game on their server but deletes the download link.

ive downloaded "ESA-No Go" games before on their site.

Monocause

Arcane
Oops, I had a bit of a Codex Detox due to some time-consuming stuff IRL and forgot about FG. I'll post an update soon, probably tomorrow evening.

@Luzur:

Make it "proud Men of the North and the East" then.

Luzur

Good Sir
Monocause said:
Oops, I had a bit of a Codex Detox due to some time-consuming stuff IRL and forgot about FG. I'll post an update soon, probably tomorrow evening.

DO IT NAOW.

@Luzur:

Make it "proud Men of the North and the East" then.

:monocle: :salute: :tubgirl:

Monocause

Arcane
The first one to post after me will get a hero named after him.

Edit: C'mon, it's a sergeant. You know you always wanted to be a sarge.

Don't call me an officer just call me a saaaarge, mashin' up the country town and also abroaaaad, plan to go to America when I get a visa caaaaaard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom